daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 20th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #81
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solblanc
Well, the yellow color is suppposedly reminiscent of the EDSA revolution. From what I've heard, people were wearing yellow to welcome Ninoy Aquino home outside the airport. However, Ninoy Aquino was assassinated the minute he stepped off the tarmac, which is why its called the NAIA today.

While those ugly counters have an excuse for being so gaudy, the toilets don't. The tiles are indeed messed up, but then again, this isn't a country that's known for its spectacular public toilets. The design of the tiles is similar to that of HKIA. Then again, as long as its kept clean, it should be okay. After all, HKIA's bathroom walls don't look that bad.

Um not similar to HKIA, its different. HKIA bathroom is marble.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2005, 11:03 AM   #82
Solblanc
hot

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates
Um not similar to HKIA, its different. HKIA bathroom is marble.
really? I remember that the HKIA departure concourse bathrooms had tile walls... maybe I was sleepy.
Old March 21st, 2005, 08:35 PM   #83
absent-minded

Likes (Received): 0

I just noticed how the ceiling in this part of the terminal (image above) is similar to the VVVVV-shaped roof of the Check-In area that is visible from the exterior of the terminal (image below). look at the wall on the left (image above) and you can sorta see how the ceiling slants up and down the same way...

I love the ceiling design at Terminal 3! almost as good as the beautiful wodden ceiling design of the old NAIA Terminal 1...

Last edited by absent-minded; March 21st, 2005 at 08:41 PM.
absent-minded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 04:23 AM   #84
leauparkenzoguy
Kenzo

I think this part of the terminal is one of the concourses. But the gate 114 on the rght side is unfinished because there are no chairs.

leauparkenzoguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 10:48 AM   #85
SKYLINEPIGEON
slightly used

i was wondering why the terminal inaugural june 21 any special abt that date, piatco and fraport im sure are not in the guests list hahha
Old March 22nd, 2005, 11:34 AM   #86
jbkayaker12
BANNED

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Well, the yellow color is suppposedly reminiscent of the EDSA revolution. From what I've heard, people were wearing yellow to welcome Ninoy Aquino home outside the airport. However, Ninoy Aquino was assassinated the minute he stepped off the tarmac, which is why its called the NAIA today.
The yellow paint scheme represents the color scheme of our flag much the same with the blue and red paint scheme. The flag of the Philippines represent the whole population of the Philippines. Your statement regarding the yellow color as a color representing Ninoy and his followers and thereby the reason why it was used as the color scheme at the airport is not entirely true. What about the others representing the fallen dictator Marcos. Not that I am fan of Marcos but it is better to explain to someone that the color scheme of the airport was taken from the colors of our flag which represents everyone in the Philippines as a whole nation. Check the logo of the airport.

Jon
jbkayaker12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 12:21 PM   #87
normandb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYLINEPIGEON
i was wondering why the terminal inaugural june 21 any special abt that date, piatco and fraport im sure are not in the guests list hahha
I dunno maybe they got it in dec 21 and they want it to be operational in 6 months time so it will be on june 21
normandb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 03:18 PM   #88
Solblanc
hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbkayaker12
The yellow paint scheme represents the color scheme of our flag much the same with the blue and red paint scheme. The flag of the Philippines represent the whole population of the Philippines. Your statement regarding the yellow color as a color representing Ninoy and his followers and thereby the reason why it was used as the color scheme at the airport is not entirely true. What about the others representing the fallen dictator Marcos. Not that I am fan of Marcos but it is better to explain to someone that the color scheme of the airport was taken from the colors of our flag which represents everyone in the Philippines as a whole nation. Check the logo of the airport.

Jon
alrighty, where's the red and blue, then?
Old March 25th, 2005, 05:48 AM   #89
normandb
BANNED

International (bottom) and Domestic (top) Terminals in NAIA

In terminal 3 i hope they will going to extend the right concourse by additional 6 contact gates in the future because int his photo we can see that the concourse is expandable. They should build contact gates for Airbus A380.
Old March 25th, 2005, 07:05 AM   #90
naughtyins0mniac
HAHA.. Zzz.. HAHA.. Zzz..

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by absent-minded

what is that view behind the man? the space surrounded with that yellow thing? it looks like its still u/c or reconstruction. i see no shiny floor, they aint painted, and the ceiling looks weird. the left side also looks like the other side...

im also wondering what the long part of the building, leading to the gates, looks like, inside..

sorry for my terms coz i really aint in to airports but im starting to like it now..
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:49 AM   #91
ewh1
Red Hot.

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtyins0mniac
what is that view behind the man? the space surrounded with that yellow thing? it looks like its still u/c or reconstruction. i see no shiny floor, they aint painted, and the ceiling looks weird. the left side also looks like the other side...

im also wondering what the long part of the building, leading to the gates, looks like, inside..

sorry for my terms coz i really aint in to airports but im starting to like it now..
This is just a Guess but im thinking that is the part were one of the Airlines Lounges will be. Thats why there is no floor cuz its the airlines juristiction on the interiors and decor.. Thats my guess
Old March 29th, 2005, 03:14 AM   #92
normandb
BANNED

Update for NAIA Traffic and Facility

Year 2004 Figures

Passenger Throughput: 15,428,522
Annual Capacity: 17,500,000 (Terminal 3 not included, to be open on June 21, 2005)

Cargo handled (tonnes): 428,046
New International Cargo Terminal: to be completed on 2007-08

Aircraft movements: 167,365

Runway 1: 3,737m
Runway 2: 1,995m
Old April 2nd, 2005, 05:55 AM   #93
docz
Hookie from Muskogee

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by leauparkenzoguy
I think this part of the terminal is one of the concourses. But the gate 114 on the rght side is unfinished because there are no chairs.

The area shown in the picture is the departure lounge you reach just after clearing the security check. The unfinished area to the right is supposed to be rented out to shops. Gate 114 is further to the right. In fact, you can see some of the chairs if you look past the unfinished area. The security check is located on the left. The area above the shops is supposed to be used for airline lounges. The duty-free mall is located at the very end of the hall way.

Based on the signs inside the terminal and on the apron, there are 20 contact gates numbered 101 through 120, and 8 remote gates 121 through 128. although gates 102/103 and 105/106 share the same departure lounge.
docz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2005, 06:36 AM   #94
docz
Hookie from Muskogee

Actually, I got the above information because one of my students is a transportation engineer working for PIATCO, and he gave me a floor plan of the building identifying the various retail areas, and locations of the various gates within the terminal. However, MIAA might have other ideas as to how to use these areas now that they are in possession of the terminal.

I also forgot to mention that the areas on the left which seem unfinished are also supposed to be rented out as shop space. The area is fairly big as this picture was taken in the middle of the hallway and shows only half of the total area.

In my previous posting I called the area a departure lounge. Actually I think a better description should be a pre-departure lounge. This is basically the area where you shop around and wait before going to the waiting area at the gate. In the original plans, the ceiling was supposed to have an articulated skylight. But I guess they modified the design to save on air-conditioning costs. I also forgot to mention that the windows at the end of the hall way on the fourth floor allow people in the public areas to see the person they are sending off after the have cleared the security area. In the public area shown in the photograph is actually the fourth floor food court.

There is also a greeters lounge on the second floor that looks into the bagage claim area such that you can see the person you are meeting just after he has cleared immigrations and goes down the escalator to the bagage claim area.

Some of the pictures of the roadway partially show the parking area for public vehicles (tour buses, and taxis) as there is a separate arrival lobby for this which is at the side, in contrast to the main lobby which is in front.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 07:23 AM   #95
docz
Hookie from Muskogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbmandy

The ceiling is not low it is actually high. The image above is the check-in area.

This area with low ceiling is the immigration area.
To be more specific, the immigration area of the departure area.
Old April 4th, 2005, 06:05 AM   #96
Fastphilly

Why does PAL stop in Honolulu while most other flights do not?

My girlfriend just got back from the Phillipines (arrived in San Francisco PAL flight#104) and she mentioned the plane had to stop in Honolulu to refuel.
Air New Zealand flies non-stop in both directions with the same aircraft type (747-400) and does not need to refuel in Honolulu and I also believe the SF to Auckland route is longer than a SF to Manila route. Any answers as to why?
Fastphilly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 08:21 AM   #97
Solblanc
hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly
My girlfriend just got back from the Phillipines (arrived in San Francisco PAL flight#104) and she mentioned the plane had to stop in Honolulu to refuel.
Air New Zealand flies non-stop in both directions with the same aircraft type (747-400) and does not need to refuel in Honolulu and I also believe the SF to Auckland route is longer than a SF to Manila route. Any answers as to why?
AKL-SFO and return is actually shorter than MNL-SFO, and it doesn't have to fight winds head on. While Auckland may seem to be farther, bear in mind that the world is round. There's a lot more ground to cover when you're travelling along the equator. Besides, even CX 744s stop over at ICN sometimes on their way to Hong Kong from the US west coast.

That, and PAL flights are filled to the brim
Old April 4th, 2005, 10:56 AM   #98
Fastphilly

No doubt about it. PAL flights are always full and I believe on Fridays PAL has two flights out of SFO one at 9:00PM and their daily at 10:15PM. I live in Daly City were Filipino's are the majority population and I don't understand why PAL does'nt operate two dailies. With the large population of Filipino's in the San Francisco Bay Area and no other carrier offering direct service (not even United which has their main Pacific hub at SFO) you would think PAL would offer an extra flight because I know it would pay dividends. Can't wait to see the new terminal 3 when I travel there next year!!!
Fastphilly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #99
jbkayaker12
BANNED

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
alrighty, where's the red and blue, then?
Observe more carefully and at the same time look at the logo of the airport.

Jon
jbkayaker12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 12:39 PM   #100
Solblanc
hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly
No doubt about it. PAL flights are always full and I believe on Fridays PAL has two flights out of SFO one at 9:00PM and their daily at 10:15PM. I live in Daly City were Filipino's are the majority population and I don't understand why PAL does'nt operate two dailies. With the large population of Filipino's in the San Francisco Bay Area and no other carrier offering direct service (not even United which has their main Pacific hub at SFO) you would think PAL would offer an extra flight because I know it would pay dividends. Can't wait to see the new terminal 3 when I travel there next year!!!
PAL doesn't have enough planes to send to the United States They only have 5 744s, and 4 A343s. If PAL had the cash, it would send A380s to the west coast (also, if they had the cash, they'd start caring a little more about their passengers )

Oh, and I wouldn't put any money on seeing an open Terminal 3 while recent developments are encouraging, we've grown used to the fact that ANYTHING can happen

Tags
manila, south asian hub airport