daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2005, 10:04 AM   #121
normandb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewh1
This is kinda off topic but yea.. Im Glad NAIA 3 Didn't end up to look like Athens. IMO the design isn't really great and look at the jetways. they didn't even bother to put double jetways but none the less. Its been voted one of the best airport in Europe so i guess that outweighs the overall look of the terminal
its true...its not the design that makes a best airport..it is the quality and availability of services that it can offer to the passengers....if NAIA3 will be maintain like a hotel it will be one of the best airport in asia. I hope we will do well in this airport terminal this is our only chance to reverse the negative impressions of NAIA1 because I am not comfortable in the current impressions that naia1 gives to the passengers.
normandb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2005, 12:39 PM   #122
docz
Hookie from Muskogee

Likes (Received): 4

What I remembered in the north concourse there are two in departure and two in the arrival level. I would think that the remaining five are in the south concourse. My cousin told me that for the south concourse three are in the departure and two are in the arrival. He also told me that the length is about 40m. But my estimate of the ones in the north concourse are more like 60m to 80m.

Yes none of the bridges installed at Athens are double bridges, unlike NAIA3 where the 14 facing 13-31 are double bridges. BTW - for a double bridge at NAIA3, one is fixed and the other is a movable bridge. The fixed bridge can extend a limited distance, but not rotate while the movable type can both extend and rotate because it has a motor infront. Back to Athens, I was there about 18 months ago, and at that time, found the place somewhat dirty, and the check in a bit too crowded. The place actually looks like a warehouse wholesale center (like a Makro or Pricemart discount center).

Back to NAIA3, regarding the number of baggage carousels. Most postings indicate 7, but at first glance you will think there are nine because two of the carousels, are shaped like a U, whereas the remaining five are shaped like a I.

I think what you mean is that aside from the structure, the way the airport is operated makes a lot of difference. And this is very true.
docz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #123
normandb
BANNED

To Mr. R. Fisher who message me on my website here is the link of the website where I got my 2004 figures about NAIA
http://www.azworldairports.com/cfm/f...s/p2300mnl.htm

and if you need more information or figures about manila international airport here is their e-mail address [email protected]

I hope you asked me about it here in this thread so that I answered you're query earlier. Well better late than never...

Thank You very much.
Old April 14th, 2005, 08:51 AM   #124
absent-minded

Likes (Received): 0

thanks for clarifying everything and for giving us a ton of info on terminal 3, docz!! awesome!

umm... how many baggage carousels do international airports usually have in ratio to the number of gates/ac parking slots? is 7 carousels for 28 slots enough for terminal 3?

and, oh yeah... why do they name terminal concourses north and south? I always thought 13/31 at NAIA went east-west as the end of the runway does point towards Manila Ba... and, umm, how did the Centennial terminal get north and south wings when the two wings are perpendicular to each other?
absent-minded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 06:25 PM   #125
docz
Hookie from Muskogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by absent-minded
and, oh yeah... why do they name terminal concourses north and south? I always thought 13/31 at NAIA went east-west as the end of the runway does point towards Manila Ba... and, umm, how did the Centennial terminal get north and south wings when the two wings are perpendicular to each other?
Actualy I just used those terms because when I shown the place those were the terms the guide used.

Regarding the number of carousels, changi has 60+ gates and only has 16 carousels. But I guess the people arriving at Changi do not bring as much lagguage as the people arriving at NAIA. HKIA and KLIA only have 12 carousels but have more than twice as many gates as NAIA3.
Old July 19th, 2005, 07:44 AM   #126
normandb
BANNED

Any update on the tunnel under runway 13/31 which is supposed to be completed by the year ends..
Old July 19th, 2005, 04:59 PM   #127
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Why isn't Terminal 3 open yet?
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 01:40 AM   #128
normandb
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm
Why isn't Terminal 3 open yet?
The contractor (TAKENAKA) needs to finish some unfinished business. They need to make an access tunnel under secondary runway and lengthen the secondary runway to accomodate larger aircraft. The moved the July 21 opening to November 2005. The IATA inspected the facilities prior to its opening on July 21 and concluded that it should not be open not unless the Terminal and supporting infrastructure is totally completed.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 06:21 PM   #129
aranetacoliseum
animo lasalle

Likes (Received): 40

I LIKE THE DESIGN OF THE NEW T3!!

ITS NOT THE USUAL ASIAN (GLASSY/METALIC) AIRPORT!

ITS VERY UNIQUE!!
Old July 25th, 2005, 10:23 AM   #130
normandb
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aranetacoliseum
I LIKE THE DESIGN OF THE NEW T3!!

ITS NOT THE USUAL ASIAN (GLASSY/METALIC) AIRPORT!

ITS VERY UNIQUE!!
Actually the terminal layout itself is not unique at all. The only unique is the interior of the terminal which is much very designed for the convenience of the passengers. We cannot use lots of see through Glass in here because the temperature in the philippines sometimes reaches 34 degree celcius during summer and it is very difficult to maintain the air-conditioning at constant temperature. so they use concerete for the walls.
Old July 25th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #131
docz
Hookie from Muskogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbmandy
Actually the terminal layout itself is not unique at all. The only unique is the interior of the terminal which is much very designed for the convenience of the passengers. We cannot use lots of see through Glass in here because the temperature in the philippines sometimes reaches 34 degree celcius during summer and it is very difficult to maintain the air-conditioning at constant temperature. so they use concerete for the walls.
Well what about places like Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore that have tropical environments with temperatures reaching into the mid 30's also (Note that Singapore is closer to the equator than Manila), yet their new airport terminals make use of lots of glass walls.
Old August 20th, 2005, 08:36 PM   #132
olineil
zerocool

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
The Naia Terminal 1, Cultural Center of the Philippines, Folk Arts Theater (Tanghalang Francisco Balagtas), Philippine International Convention Center, GSIS Building, Senate Building, PNB Financial Center, Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas and the likes are all building belongs to the past era of Philippine Architecture. I'm just wandering what type or kind of Architecture design are these buildings? It is not a typical "classic design" nor a modern design and I believe they are only in the philippines i think, what are the inspiration of these design or their theme because you can see a lot of hard concrete square?
Leandro Locsins favourite architect is Frank Lloyd Wright and he drew inspiration from his work. FLW was a 1930's architect w/c had a modern vision in architecture during his time. U can see from the design of the Kauffman House (or Falling water), Guggenheim Museum in new york. Basically they are very masive & Graceful Concrete structures.

My Worship Music Blog
| My Design Blog Site | BRT on FaceBook

Sail Away! | Legazpi City || WoWLegazpi.com
olineil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 10:12 AM   #133
_zner_
Optional Information

Likes (Received): 78

... i like it.. but when will they open it? they used to cancel it every time the due is near...
_zner_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 02:25 AM   #134
DaimosLA
DaimosLA

Just open this [email protected] terminal already! Enough with the politics!
DaimosLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 02:26 PM   #135
_zner_
Optional Information

^ agree... can barely wait..
Old September 3rd, 2005, 08:31 PM   #136
allin101
nemo mo impune lacessit

manila hotel takeover of piatco shares means a sooner opening of the terminal 3?
allin101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 12:04 PM   #137
_zner_
Optional Information

Old October 2nd, 2005, 10:29 AM   #138
richard fischer

Likes (Received): 1508

Quote:
To Mr. R. Fisher who message me on my website here is the link of the website where I got my 2004 figures about NAIA
http://www.azworldairports.com/cfm/f...s/p2300mnl.htm

and if you need more information or figures about manila international airport here is their e-mail address [email protected]

I hope you asked me about it here in this thread so that I answered you're query earlier. Well better late than never...

Thank You very much.
hi ncbmandy,
i had no idea of the NAIA thread on the international airport thread. just found it right now. thank you for your replies and kind answers.
philpal
richard fischer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 01:43 AM   #139
xDieselJockx

Likes (Received): 1

Yes Richard, they have it also here and the asia forums particularly the Philippines. This is how and where I actually discovered SSC forums when i was looking at different websites of various airports in the world. I'm also an afficionado or I guess enthusiast of airliners and airports...
xDieselJockx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 01:00 PM   #140
_zner_
Optional Information

cant wait to get inside.... gotta go outta the country.... haha..

Tags
manila, south asian hub airport