daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 30th, 2015, 04:40 PM   #1
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26129

REYKJAVIK | Public Transport

This thread is about public transport in Reykjavik, Iceland. From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=526

Reykjavik to develop light rail network
Tuesday, June 30, 2015

PROPOSALS to develop a light rail network in Reykjavik are at the heart of a new 25-year urban planning strategy for the Icelandic capital, which was signed by representatives of all of the city's municipalities on June 29

According to Reykjavik City Council, the City Line will play a key role in changing travel behaviour, ensuring the city's transport infrastructure can cope with an increasing population, which is forecast to rise by 70,000 to more than 300,000 inhabitants by 2040

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2015, 09:25 PM   #2
Dooie_Amsterdammert
Loving #dutch windwheel

Likes (Received): 118

To be fairly honest, I expected Iceland/Reykjavik to invest more in cycling & people movers on A grid.

But it's their choice, i've never been there, i anticipated people from reykjavik to travel in quite a few directions - on land, not just one or a few.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Dooie_Amsterdammert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 09:11 PM   #3
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

Isn't it a bit cold for cycling there?
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 01:10 AM   #4
Dooie_Amsterdammert
Loving #dutch windwheel

Likes (Received): 118

Someone (pretending to be?) from Reykjavik said that during summer, late spring & early fall people can cycle through Reykjavik..
Might be someone pulled my leg.

That's why i mentioned it, and if temperature rises continue, the area of Reykjavik could be cycleble @ 0 Celsius.

I heard on some show on dutch tv, that temperatures in southern iceland are in fact steadily rising.

are there any icelandic people on the forum that can confirm/contradict these stats? (I can look up some stuff online but i'm not sure these sites are correct; wiki, cia factbook etc.)
Dooie_Amsterdammert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 04:15 AM   #5
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

despite its name, I can assure you that Iceland is not below 0 degrees Celsius all year round. Even the upper arctic circle often receives 20 degree days in July and August.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 07:55 PM   #6
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaM View Post
Isn't it a bit cold for cycling there?
Judging by the climate data from Reykjavik that is written on wikipedia, then it shouldn't be that cold there. The daily mean temperatures range between 0-12°C, and it have never been colder than -20°C since the 70's.
And judging by those numbers then I would say that it's completely doable to bike year round (depending on things like wind chill and humidity that is).

As a reference then during my time in Luleĺ then the weather I experienced there never got me of my bicycle, even if it were below -30°C.
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 01:57 AM   #7
Bjarki

Likes (Received): 159

Wind and hilly terrain are probably bigger obstacles to cycling in Reykjavik than cold temperatures, snow and ice. Reykjavik winters are usually pretty mild (although there can be exceptions like last winter which was pretty cold and snowy) considering the latitude.

About the light rail, I am not sure it is the best option for Reykjavik. A comprehensive BRT network could be developed at a much lower cost. If that proves popular enough than the most popular routes could be upgraded to rail but jumping straight into light rail seems like a leap too big.
Bjarki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 04:57 AM   #8
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

Are there any places in Iceland that have a high concentration of employment or residential density?

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 04:39 PM   #9
Bjarki

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Are there any places in Iceland that have a high concentration of employment or residential density?
It's rather spread out. The biggest concentration of employment is probebly along the north side of the peninsula that most of Reykjavik is on.
Bjarki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 05:17 PM   #10
Montrealer
City dweller

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooie_Amsterdammert View Post
Someone (pretending to be?) from Reykjavik said that during summer, late spring & early fall people can cycle through Reykjavik..
Might be someone pulled my leg.
I live in Montreal, where winters are much colder and snowier than Reykjavik's (but our summers are much warmer), and cyclying is very popular from early April to late November (with more and more who cycle year round).

So it is certainly doable in Reykjavik as well.

lechevallierpatrick liked this post

Last edited by Montrealer; July 9th, 2015 at 05:55 PM.
Montrealer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 08:10 AM   #11
Fenix_2007
Fenix_2007

Likes (Received): 16593

A tram network is a great system to put into place in a city of the size (both in population and actual surface) of Reykjavik. And bright colors might be the best for the trains lol.

Let's see what happens .

dimlys1994, lechevallierpatrick liked this post
Fenix_2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2016, 06:13 PM   #12
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26129

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=537

Reykjavik airport rail link plans move forward
Tuesday, April 05, 2016

REYKJAVIK City Council has backed proposals for a 175km/h rail link between the city centre and Iceland's main international airport at Keflavik, referring the project to its environmental and planning department

The 47km electrified line would start at Reykjavik's main bus terminal (BSI), passing beneath the city's southern suburbs in a 12km tunnel before following highway 41 on a surface alignment to the airport. The journey time between BSI and the airport would be around 18 minutes

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

Oplot-M liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2016, 01:18 PM   #13
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Poor public transport in Reykjavik, Iceland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix_2007 View Post
A tram network is a great system to put into place in a city of the size (both in population and actual surface) of Reykjavik. And bright colors might be the best for the trains lol.

Let's see what happens .
Reykjavik is a sprawling city very dependant on cars.

In 2007 87% of all passenger transport within the Reykjavik captial area was made by private cars. (counted by km travelled)

Same year 68% of all passenger transport within the Stockholm, Sweden captial area was made by private cars. (counted by km travelled)

The number of car travellers in Reykjavik was down to 75% in 2012 so something happend that decreased the number of car commuters in Reykjavik. Maybe it had to do with the worsening economy ?

In the latest report from 2015 the number was up to 78%

The city's public transport system stands in line for significant restructuring in order to increase the number of people using it to 12 % from 4 % percent by 2030.

The city is also planning to curb urban sprawl with 90 percent of all new residential units to now be constructed inside the city's current urban limits.

The plan said the aim is to reduce travel needs and promote a shift towards "urban densification".

Future light rail line in Reykjavik

Municipalities in Reykjavik have focused on both trams and light rail systems in an effort to improve public transport. Dagur B. Eggertsson, Mayor of Reykjavík, says he welcomes ideas and features such as those done by Gísli Rafn Gudmundsson a city architect who worked with this idea in connection with his Master's thesis in architecture at the University of Lund in Sweden.

Gisli Rafn is stating how light rail system (or trams) can influence the development in the city and that Reykjavik needs efficient public transport.

There is a number of benefits in improved public transport in the opinion of the mayor. Access to safe and secure public transportation reduces costs for families. Households will not to have to drive two cars, he says. The area around the train stations with good public transport will be more attractive, both for development and as a result increased quality of life.

Even if a decision was taken today, the experience from abroad shows that it easily takes a decade to implement it. Most importantly, however, is that we need a broad consensus to promote public transport. We also need to be productive and realize that this future tram should be a high quality transport. Local authorities are attuned to understand these issues. I therefore hope that this debate will be even more pronounced in the near future, says the mayor of Reykjavik.

Last edited by NordikNerd; September 25th, 2016 at 05:14 PM.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote