daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers > Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 24th, 2016, 03:45 PM   #61
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopoGigio View Post
London begins to look like the typical US city
Cool!!!
I wouldn't say so, maybe the business district Canary Wharf looks like a skyline from the US, but City of London looks quite authentic in my opinion.

Last edited by Architecture lover; September 24th, 2016 at 03:50 PM.
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2016, 09:10 PM   #62
Skyscrapercitizen
TIMBY

Likes (Received): 5421

I agree. The cool thing is that the London skyline looks NOT American. It has a typical setting and architecture which makes it unique.

Not that I don't like American skylines, I do love them. But London is much different and I like that too!

JimB liked this post
Skyscrapercitizen está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2016, 06:10 AM   #63
kevito
Caminante sin camino.

Likes (Received): 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopoGigio View Post
London begins to look like the typical US city
Cool!!!
Please, stop saying that!.
London is unique. There is no such comparation.

PortoNuts liked this post
kevito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 02:23 AM   #64
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7160

Approved

Quote:
London backs plans to build second-tallest tower in western Europe

Plans to build a 73-storey skyscraper that would be the tallest in the City of London financial district have been approved by the local authority, which said the project was a vote of confidence in London after the Brexit vote.

Long a destination of choice for foreign investors drawn to its lucrative real estate sector, London is experiencing a boom in the construction of tall buildings -- a trend that upsets some residents but has been encouraged by local authorities.

Officially called 1 Undershaft, the new tower will rise almost 305 metres above sea level, making it the second-tallest building in Western Europe after The Shard, which is also located in London, just across the River Thames from the City.

"This development shows the high levels of investor confidence in London's status as a global city following our decision to leave the European Union," said Chris Hayward, chairman of the City of London Corporation's planning committee.

Some opponents of Brexit have warned of a potential downturn in London's financial services industry if some international firms move jobs and activities to other European centres to maintain the benefits of operating within the EU.

The new skyscraper is expected to provide 130,000 square metres of office space, enough to accommodate 10,000 workers.

The design is by Eric Parry Architects, a London-based studio that has worked on several high-profile projects, including the modernisation of the historic St-Martin-in-the-Fields church just off Trafalgar Square in central London.

The developer is Singapore-based Aroland Holdings Limited, which said in a statement it was developing tall buildings in capital cities around the world.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-bri...-idUKKBN13O1YZ

Architecture lover, Kot Bazilio liked this post
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 02:29 AM   #65
Assemblage23
Übereinstimmend

Likes (Received): 8077

Nevermind, didn't read "above sea-level"

Wichtige Änderungen beginnen immer mit ganz neuen Perspektiven.

-

Last edited by Assemblage23; November 30th, 2016 at 05:18 PM.
Assemblage23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 03:11 PM   #66
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assemblage23 View Post

Another Supertall for London

Actually no, it says above sea level so about 15m-20m less.

I'm not really into this design yet, maybe the taper is too subtle, because I like the John Hancock Center in Chicago. I'll get used to it though.

Assemblage23 liked this post
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 04:18 PM   #67
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1284

Great news! I love the design. I think the subtle taper will give a very smooth reflection from the tower.
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2016, 01:26 AM   #68
LeedsG

Likes (Received): 94

It's nothing ground breaking but there something endearing about it at the same time. The choice of bronze metallic trellis gives a really smart London style. I like it.

When does it start?
LeedsG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2016, 01:42 AM   #69
LeedsG

Old December 23rd, 2016, 02:55 AM   #70
LeedsG

didn't realize st Helen's tower was getting down

it must be expensive to buy a tower just to knock it down and build another one. the gains must be pretty good for the developers if they're still going ahead with it.

I wonder how much it costs to purchase st. helens tower before any work actually gets done to the new one.
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:09 PM   #71
MuppetThumper

Likes (Received): 26

Any news here?
MuppetThumper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 07:50 PM   #72
Sainton

Likes (Received): 119

Hopefully this square tube gets canned, unless the design gets changed to a Shanghai-style tower. As is, it is a shapeless, prominent eyesore that would steal the show from the stylish Gherkin and Cheesegrater.
Sainton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 02:04 AM   #73
MuppetThumper

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainton View Post
Hopefully this square tube gets canned, unless the design gets changed to a Shanghai-style tower. As is, it is a shapeless, prominent eyesore that would steal the show from the stylish Gherkin and Cheesegrater.

And the monstrosity that is 22 Bishopsgate won't? This is much better than that at least!
MuppetThumper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 09:54 AM   #74
Sainton

Likes (Received): 119

So having two monstrosities almost clumped together won't make even more disasterous? This one could be averted.
Sainton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 10:48 PM   #75
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeedsG View Post
didn't realize st Helen's tower was getting down

it must be expensive to buy a tower just to knock it down and build another one. the gains must be pretty good for the developers if they're still going ahead with it.

I wonder how much it costs to purchase st. helens tower before any work actually gets done to the new one.
Well let's back-of-a-napkin it then. Disclaimer: all these figures are extremely rough.

St Helens cost 300 million to buy and has a total office space of 600,000 sq ft.

1 Undershaft will have 1,400,000 sq ft of office space. And will probably cost around twice as much to build.

Office space in the City of London is worth at least £80 per sq ft per year. Premium office space in a modern, notable building like 1 Undershaft can go for upwards of £100 per sq ft per year.

So, if you take away the cost of buying St Helens, of demolishing it, of building 1 Undershaft in its place, and, just to prove my point, burning a pile of money in the street worth half a billion pounds, 1 Undershaft will recoup all losses just in about a decade, just from increased rent.

In the post apocalyptic wasteland of the future, people won't kill each other for water or food. They'll fight over central London property deeds. Much more valuable.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 12:06 AM   #76
Benjamin377

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
Well let's back-of-a-napkin it then. Disclaimer: all these figures are extremely rough.

St Helens cost 300 million to buy and has a total office space of 600,000 sq ft.

1 Undershaft will have 1,400,000 sq ft of office space. And will probably cost around twice as much to build.

Office space in the City of London is worth at least £80 per sq ft per year. Premium office space in a modern, notable building like 1 Undershaft can go for upwards of £100 per sq ft per year.

So, if you take away the cost of buying St Helens, of demolishing it, of building 1 Undershaft in its place, and, just to prove my point, burning a pile of money in the street worth half a billion pounds, 1 Undershaft will recoup all losses just in about a decade, just from increased rent.

In the post apocalyptic wasteland of the future, people won't kill each other for water or food. They'll fight over central London property deeds. Much more valuable.
Damn that's some serious profit!! I guess it really does take money to make money...
Benjamin377 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 12:17 AM   #77
TheIllinoisan

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevito View Post
Please, stop saying that!.
London is unique. There is no such comparation.
Sure there is. Modern London shares many characteristics with a number of US cities. Your opinion is no more valid or accurate than his.

linum liked this post
TheIllinoisan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 12:34 PM   #78
GeoDude
GeoDude

Likes (Received): 206

I have some doubts about this. Aviva is currently a tenant in the St. Helen's building and they just finished an extensive rehab of their offices. So either 1) they didn't do their proper due diligence or 2) this proposal isn't going to come to fruition for awhile / if at all. But I could be wrong!

@Chaserino
Architecture & Travel

USA - Canada - Mexico - Costa Rica - Brazil - Peru - Australia - New Zealand - China - England - France - Netherlands - Spain - Italy - Germany - Monaco - Vatican City - Czech Republic - Hungary - Turkey - Denmark - Sweden - Morocco - Portugal - Switzerland - Greece - Austria - Liechtenstein - Cyprus - Croatia - Belgium - Slovakia - United Arab Emirates - Poland - Ukraine - Romania - Ireland - Malta - Vietnam - Myanmar - Japan - India - Slovenia - South Africa - Zimbabwe - Zambia - Botswana - Israel
GeoDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote