daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #61
trvlr70

Likes (Received): 0

That sounds like a good match....OY!
trvlr70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #62
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Ha! How appropriate.

Does someone from Crain's visit this website?
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #63
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

can i get a ham and cheese sandwich if i order it on matzoh (during passover, of course)???
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:55 AM   #64
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frumie View Post
Gentlemen, this is Metropolitan Chicago. Let's behave like good neighbors.
It's all good Frumie. I was just joking around
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #65
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
can i get a ham and cheese sandwich if i order it on matzoh (during passover, of course)???
sure Ed ,all you need to do is have it blessed by a rabbi .......
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #66
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedestcity View Post
sure Ed ,all you need to do is have it blessed by a rabbi .......
you're not suggesting the Chicago Rabinical Council's stamp of approval is a racket, are you?
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #67
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

The Tribune article on the new cafe.....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...l=chi-news-hed

PERSONALS: WHO?S WHO & WHAT?S UP

Spertus Institute will sport kosher Puck cafe

By Phil Vettel
Published March 30, 2007

The $55-million Spertus Institute of Jewish Studies, 618 S. Michigan Ave., will have an extra attraction when it opens in November: a Wolfgang Puck Cafe.

The Spertus Institute announced Thursday that the acclaimed chef will open a grab-and-go cafe of seasonal sandwiches, salads, snacks and desserts, similar to the operation Puck runs in Chicago's Museum of Contemporary Art

The cafe at the Spertus Institute, however, will be all kosher. There isn't a kosher cafe or restaurant in the Loop, the institute says.

The cafe will be on the second floor, where floor-to-ceiling windows overlook Grant Park, and will be open to the public in addition to those attending classes at Spertus College or visiting the institute's museum or library.

"While our operations at Spertus will be a natural extension of our existing business, the opportunity to serve the kosher market and a varied audience allow us to take a unique approach," said Carl Schuster, CEO of Wolfgang Puck Catering. Puck Catering also will handle the special-event food service for the facility.

----------

The Personals page was compiled by Emily Rosenbaum from Tribune news services and staff reports.

nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #68
Frumie

Quote:
you're not suggesting the Chicago Rabinical Council's stamp of approval is a racket, are you?
Once on an American Airlines' flight my pre-ordered "kosher" meal turned out to be a pork-butt sandwich with a beautifuly embossed card informing me that the Holy See had granted me dispensation to eat it. It turned out that they have mistakenly served my kosher meal to an Indian woman vegetarian. No kidding.
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #69
wickedestcity
BANNED

Quote:
cRc stands for CangaRoo Court (although thatís not how you spell kangaroo)
but seriously its amazing how many people really believe that a blessing is all you need to render food kosher.
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #70
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frumie View Post
Once on an American Airlines' flight my pre-ordered "kosher" meal turned out to be a pork-butt sandwich with a beautifuly embossed card informing me that the Holy See had granted me dispensation to eat it. It turned out that they have mistakenly served my kosher meal to an Indian woman vegetarian. No kidding.
As Harry Carray might have said......
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #71
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedestcity View Post
cRc stands for CangaRoo Court (although thatís not how you spell kangaroo)
but seriously its amazing how many people really believe that a blessing is all you need to render food kosher.
Everyone knows that a cow that has contributed to JUF five figures is automatically considered to be kosher.
Old March 31st, 2007, 12:30 AM   #72
wickedestcity
BANNED

Old April 14th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #73
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Taken today:

i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 05:31 AM   #74
bnk

Likes (Received): 727

Does any one have the name of the building this one is replacing?

I really the new one.... but I am interested in what was in its place.

Thanks in advance.

bnk
bnk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #75
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

A two-story building at 612-14 South Michigan, and a five-story loft building at 608-10 South Michigan, built in 1906 for E.T. Blair, and demolished in 1978. In latter years it was occupied by a furniture store called Wilson-Jump.

In 1980 a 29-story apartment building was proposed for the site by architect/developer Joel Hillman, but never built.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; April 14th, 2007 at 11:50 PM.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #76
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

4-14-07

Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #77
Latoso
C.B.P.

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Does any one have the name of the building this one is replacing?

I really the new one.... but I am interested in what was in its place.

Thanks in advance.

bnk
Mr. Downtown gave a great detailed response. But in essence it is replacing an empty lot that was partially used as an outdoor gallery.

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham
Latoso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #78
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Spertus museum like new kid on block

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,6325885.story

Spertus museum like new kid on block
Glass wall facade brings bold look to historic district

By Bonnie Miller Rubin
Tribune staff reporter
Published April 25, 2007

A sneak preview Tuesday of the first new construction on South Michigan Avenue since being designated a historic district revealed a building that offers not only a commanding view of the lakefront but a window into its mission.

The new Spertus Institute of Jewish Studies will open Nov. 30 at 610 S. Michigan Ave., just north of its current home. Unlike the old facility, which features few windows, the 10-story, $55 million building will be fronted by a glass facade that serves as a metaphor for Jewish learning and culture. It also is designed to convey a feeling of transparency and civic commitment.

"This is a gift to the city," Spertus President Howard A. Sulkin said of the facility, designed by the Chicago-based firm of Krueck & Sexton Architects.

The plan marked the first test of whether an unabashedly contemporary building could comply with the strict guidelines governing the 12-block stretch of Michigan between Randolph and 11th Streets. The area received landmark status in 2002.

"The challenge was to design a building for the 21st Century in a district surrounded by 19th and early 20th Century neighbors," said architect Mark Sexton, who led a group of about 120 journalists, donors and city officials who stepped gingerly amid concrete and steel studs. The firm's credits also include the Crown Fountain in Millennium Park.

The 155,000-square-foot facility is being constructed on one of the last two open spaces in the historic district and will make Spertus one of the largest Jewish museums in the country.

In addition to displaying about 1,000 objects from its 15,000-piece collection, the building will include a 400-seat theater for live performances, film and music; a rooftop "sky" garden; an interactive children's center designed by Redmoon Theater artistic director Jim Lasko; and expanded gallery, classroom and library space.

In a nod to the importance of food in ethnic culture, the new site will also include a Wolfgang Puck cafe that will be the only kosher restaurant in the Loop. The renowned California-based restaurateur married into a Jewish family in 1983 and is credited with bringing a haute cuisine twist to the usual chopped liver and brisket fare.

Space will be available to rent for both public and private events.

But the key architectural feature is the facade, composed of 720 individual pieces of glass in 250 shapes. Most of the surrounding buildings are stone, brick and terra cotta, yet the innovative design sailed through the city's review. In an area dominated by private buildings, the facility also will offer public access to breathtaking views of Grant Park and Lake Michigan.

"This new facility says, 'Let me reach my arms out and embrace you,'" Sulkin said.

But in the post-9/11 world, the decision to extend a warm and welcoming invitation to all people is not reached easily, Sulkin acknowledged.

"We made a conscious decision to reject a fortress mentality," he said. "I hope to God I don't have to eat my words." For good measure, an Israeli security expert was consulted in the process, Sulkin said.

Along with the emphasis on light, the new facility is billed as a model of environmental sustainability -- right down to the inclusion of a bike room for employees -- in keeping with the Jewish tenets of bal tashchit (not to waste) and tikkun olam (to repair the world).

---------

[email protected]

Copyright © 2007, Chicago Tribune
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #79
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Spertus exhibits planned

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...l=chi-news-hed

PERSONALS: WHO?S WHO & WHAT?S UP

Spertus exhibits planned

By Alan g. Artner
Published April 25, 2007

When the new Spertus Institute of Jewish Studies opens on Nov. 30, the museum that is a part of it will resume an active program of exhibitions devoted to art and culture. The first four shows, announced Tuesday, will be:

"The New Authentics: Artists of the Post-Jewish Generation," presenting works by 16 contemporary American artists who address Jewishness in American culture (Nov. 30, 2007-March 31, 2008).

"Mapping Dystopia," presenting antique maps of the Holy Land with works by contemporary Israeli- and Palestinian-born artists who explore national borders and identity (April-June 2008).

"Twisted Beyond Recognition: Cliches of Jews and Others," in which the theme is addressed by classical and contemporary visual art, music, video and film (July-October 2008).

"African American Art and the Julius Rosenwald Fund," the first show to treat the legacy of a Chicago effort that, from 1928 to 1948, awarded stipends to hundreds of artists, writers and scholars (December 2008-April 2009).

Two site-specific commissions, by artists Arnold Dreyblatt and Ranbir Kaleka, also will be in the new Spertus facility, designed by Krueck & Sexton Architects.

----------

Personals was compiled by Kim Profant from Tribune news services and staff reports

Copyright © 2007, Chicago Tribune
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #80
Chicagotom

Has anyone else noticed that they seem to have come to a virtual standstill on the glass wall? Anyone have the scoop?
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote