daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #101
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Here's a closeup of the frit pattern. Sorry there's nothing in the image to offer scale, but each dot is about 6 mm in diameter. Bear in mind that this fašade has full eastern exposure. The solar loading would be devastating without a frit.

Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #102
Chicagotom

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond View Post
Okay... that picture is amazing! Spertus doesn't even look real!!! I never would've guessed it to have any kind of presence from the lake.
Wait until this thing is lit up at night. Also thanks for the upclose "frit" picture MrDT
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #103
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
July 6, 2007
Excellent shot. Spertus looks amazing from out there.
Old July 11th, 2007, 08:20 AM   #104
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Does anyone know what will happen to the Harrison Hotel + Travelodge sign, and the horrible parking structure it sits atop?

I don't care if it's the tallest parking garage in Chicago, it's a blight.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #105
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

They should take down the Firstar Bank sign while they're at it (just out of the picture above, to the right.) I can't believe they covered all the letters with fabric, presumably because the bank relocated or was bought out, and then left it like that. It sure adds to the spectacular westward views from Millenium Park...
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 06:46 AM   #106
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

The New Spertus is Open to the Public!
Friday, November 30 from 10am - 3pm

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #107
i_am_hydrogen
muted

I guess this means we can put this one into the "Completed" column.

FYI: According to Dan_In_Chicago from Emporis, the official height is 161'.

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; November 9th, 2007 at 10:17 PM.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 10:15 PM   #108
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Shots by Cbautz at SSP (check out his thread):

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old November 21st, 2007, 07:38 PM   #109
spyguy
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Here's a closeup of the frit pattern. Sorry there's nothing in the image to offer scale, but each dot is about 6 mm in diameter. Bear in mind that this fašade has full eastern exposure. The solar loading would be devastating without a frit.
http://www.chicagomag.com/Radar/Coda...e-New-Spertus/

Behind the (Curtain) Wall: the New Spertus

Q: Is there a weird "only Cassie would be interested in this" fact that you're going to include?
A: Why, yes, yes there is. If you look closely at the glass, you'll see hundreds of little dots. Another writer and I were curious about them; is the only purpose they serve to reduce the glare? No, it turns out. The ceramic dots give the glass wall texture, which, in turn, helps birds see the building. An extraordinary number of birds fly into Chicago buildings and die every year. This is a way to curb the birds' early trips to heaven.

-----------

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/6...rtus21.article
New Spertus a crowning jewel for Michigan Ave.
OPENS NOV. 30 | Glass facade resembles irregularly cut gem

November 21, 2007
BY KEVIN NANCE

Michigan Avenue has a fresh jewel in its crown: the new Spertus Institute of Jewish Studies, whose faceted glass facade is in sharp contrast to the more traditional architecture surrounding it on Chicago's most famous streetwall.
Old November 21st, 2007, 08:18 PM   #110
spyguy
Expert

More pics in the Trib article

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2692764.story

Spertus now showcase from top to bottom
10-story Institute of Jewish Studies draws visitors inside

By William Mullen
November 21, 2007

It used to be that you had to look pretty carefully at the buildings in the 600 block of South Michigan Avenue if you wanted to find the Spertus Institute of Jewish Studies, housed in a nondescript little office building next to a vacant lot.

Old November 21st, 2007, 08:53 PM   #111
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

this is an awesome building. very chicago
Old November 22nd, 2007, 07:41 PM   #112
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Please elaborate. Especially if one thinks of the classic Chicago School forms and palette of materials, this seems about as nonChicago as one can imagine . . .

(Nota bene: I am not trying to provoke an argument about whether it's attractive nor about whether it's appropriate for the Michigan Avenue streetwall. I'm simply curious about the "very Chicago" remark.)
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 08:15 PM   #113
CHIsentinel
padisha emperor

Likes (Received): 319

You're thinking too much in terms of the traditional definition of the Chicago School which I think is very common - I think this represents a new generation of the Chicago School and a new way of presenting what that definition represents - before, "Chicago School" architecture followed a very specific pattern (the tripartite window presentation, the marrying of neo-classicism with then-contemporary building innovations, etc.), which is what defined the architecture of that time, but now, it isn't a consistency of the design which defines Chicago School, but rather the fact that the architects themselves, based here, working here, innovating here, THAT is the new definition of Chicago school - Ralph Johnson, Mark Sexton, Jeannie Gang, John Ronan, Elvia Rubio, Adrian Smith, the newer designers at SOM etc.; I think that is one of the biggest differences between architecture here in Chicago vs. NYC for example, where architects from around the world bring their designs to New York - Maki, Foster, Jean Nouvel, Gehry; where there is no "NYC School" - lots of great architects in NYC, but no true definition of a style emerging from the city - whereas in Chicago, the home-grown talent defines the course of the designs.
CHIsentinel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 11:46 PM   #114
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIsentinel View Post
I think that is one of the biggest differences between architecture here in Chicago vs. NYC for example, where architects from around the world bring their designs to New York - Maki, Foster, Jean Nouvel, Gehry; where there is no "NYC School" - lots of great architects in NYC, but no true definition of a style emerging from the city - whereas in Chicago, the home-grown talent defines the course of the designs.
As wonderful and inspiring as that sounds, I'm gonna be pragmatic here: the reason Chicago projects use local designers is because they don't want to pay the astronomical costs of hiring international starchitects. Even here, the projects with the highest profiles (the Spire, Millennium Park) go for the starchitects.

We're lucky to have such amazing local talent, though.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 04:40 AM   #115
CHIsentinel
padisha emperor

Likes (Received): 319

^ I'm in total agreement here, yes, Gehry, Renzo Piano, Calatrava, etc., have made significant contributions to the local architectural landscape, but I think the point has been missed: where those starchitects contribute to exactly what you said, the large, one-of-a-kind marquee projects, the language/style/look/movement of 99.9% of all of the other projects are defined by those local designers that I mentioned in my last post - that essentially also become diluted, bastardized and copied/modified by a large number of second-tier design professionals, builders, etc. That is the definition of the new Chicago school to me, not a type of building, but a type of architect who is progressive, bold, and creative and gives the city beautiful projects like the new Spertus addition (apologies if I wasn't clear enough previously).
CHIsentinel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #116
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 886

ARCHITECTURE

Blades of glass
New Spertus Institute's gemlike wall of glass a welcome counterpoint on South Michigan

By Blair Kamin | Tribune architecture critic
November 25, 2007

Chicago's rough-hewn cityscape, already studded with architectural jewels, has a sparkling new gem. It resembles an exquisitely cut diamond dropped into the great wall of stone that rises like a cliff across from Grant Park.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #117
wrabbit

To quote myself from SSP (LOL), thanks for posting this. Kamin is pretty much spot on here - he stresses the importance of depth and three-dimensionality in the facade, and the ways in which constraints can fuel creative solutions - and IMHO K&S deserves all the accolades we can toss out.

Now, somebody, anybody, please give these chaps a tower project - Hines? Magellan? Buck? Anyone out there? Anybody care?
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:13 AM   #118
globill

Location: I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country.
Likes (Received): 8

I love it. Mazel Tov Chicago!

"I told you what I thought about that when I said I do not trust Obama and I probably never will. He hasnn't proven anything to me or you yet but he has flapped his lips plenty. And that I guess, is enough for some of you smarties in here." nygirl
globill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 03:42 AM   #119
wrabbit

Some shots from inside at today's open house at the new annex:

9-10F

View from the 2F cafe(teria)

Last edited by wrabbit; December 1st, 2007 at 04:02 AM.
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 06:08 AM   #120
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Nice shots, wrabbit.