daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2015, 03:02 AM   #41
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingstingsting View Post
I was actually talking about trains in Sydney that don't stop at the exact same spot every time. Japan trains are great in that respect.

Another question I have - how comfortable do people get leaving their luggage on the racks in the train? Anyone know of horror stories of people getting up to exit the train at their destination only to find that their luggage has been nicked at some other station along the way? This seems like such a likely occurrence. If I had to leave my bags at the racks and was unable to lock them, I would personally feel very uncomfortable sitting down. However, I don't live in Europe so I wonder if most passengers are just used to it or if it is fortunately, a very minor and unlikely risk.

Again with the amazing Japanese railways setting the standards ...
Of all the countries of the world, Japan needs those the least.

Robi_damian, Proterra, lsg97 liked this post
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2015, 03:11 AM   #42
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8773

Actually, I've never had a problem leaving luggage in any country that I've travelled in with leaving luggage. I tend to just keep an eye on it at stations. If it is small luggage I put it overhead, if it is large, then no one could take it off quickly and easily at a station without me noticing.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2015, 01:28 PM   #43
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

I heard that suitcases are rather regularly stolen on DB trains, even though hardly anyone would leave serious valuables in a suitcase out of sight. There is however no general sense of alarm about it. About the luggage racks near the entrance doors: I did experience how some tourists had left their luggage there on the Paris-Zürich TGV and then ended up cursing when they had disappeared by the time we got to Basel.
About the general trend to uncomfortable seating in new trains: I must admit I have forgotten how bad some older trains used to be. I recently took one of the early 1990s double-decker RegionalExpress still in use on the line from Berlin to the Baltic Sea Coast. No aircon, but just windows you can open a little bit, they are perfect heat traps; As the upper deck sides are not curved, but angular, you have the feeling of hitting your head in the window seats; and the seats are hard and uncomfortable. These trains get my personal award for most uncomfortable trains still in service. Unfortunately I could not find pics of their interior anywhere. Here the outside: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/C..._2nd_headshape
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2015, 02:08 PM   #44
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Source about thefts being "regularly" stolen? My experiences of taking trains around the world are different to your own.
Old August 8th, 2015, 02:24 PM   #45
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Source: mouth of word of a conductor
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2015, 02:28 PM   #46
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Right... Would be good to see some statistics as I am sure that railways do actually record incidents of reported theft on their trains, and universally I am sure that people will report to the police and/or the railways.
Old August 8th, 2015, 03:14 PM   #47
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

I'm sure it happens from time to time , but I doubt its rampant...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2015, 05:09 PM   #48
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9971

In Romania luggage racks for new trains are mostly inside the screen doors that phonically/thermally isolate the seating area from the exit/entry doors, so it is difficult for someone to discretely take your bags. In older cars, it used to be next to the doors, and cars had compartments. Literally no one used those, except for super-heavy bags, as there you had to leave the compartment at every stop. As they are not that used in Romania, when I traveled with a Medio-Distancia in Spain, I had a friend who even woke up from his sleep, had a panic attack and went to check the bags without realizing it.

Anyway, love the Japanese solution. It is quite practical to keep you worry-free.
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2015, 05:09 AM   #49
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Likes (Received): 1726

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
Speaking of passenger comfort, one of the things I noticed in Australia was the obsessions for seats to be facing forward. On Sydney local and regional trains, passengers can move the backrest manually to seat forward, and on the Sydney-based cross-country services they kept telling you when booking that seats are only forward-facing, being reversed at each end of the route.

E.g. (for local trains):

These only exist in New South Wales, where the locals seem to be overly precious about such things. Apart from long distance booked-seat trains and some older heritage stock no longer in regular use, reversing seats are not found on urban or commuter stock anywhere else.

Victor P. Taffa

Robi_damian liked this post
SurfRail no está en línea   Reply With Quote