daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2015, 01:59 PM   #1
KimboDoo

Likes (Received): 2

HELP! Define that building! Understanding Building Styles & Structures....

Hi everyone,

I was out with my other half last month and noticed he had an exceptionally quick grasp on basic architectural knowledge and would be identifying building types and eras whilst I was still busy admiring them and wondered if anyone knew any basic tips for spotting such buildings.

For example, how would one best describe this building? Elevated? Annex? http://www.seewarte-flensburg.de/

I just wondered if there was any little obvious details to deceipher a buildings type/era. Thanks everyone
KimboDoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2015, 02:38 PM   #2
skymantle

Likes (Received): 3113

hmmm, I would describe that building as neo-traditionalist eclectic with a germanic/northern european medieval style influence. Features of the building include a dutch gable, tudor timber-panelling on pitched windows, a sweeping stair-case, protruding round bay and bay 'tower', asymmetry and rendering. Definitely not 'classical' and not abiding by 'academic rules' of architecture. Quite a mish-mash actually and TBH I don't find it very appealing. Oh, and yes I would say elevated or above street level, obviously designed to accommodate vehicles and hence a give-away as a modern design taking inspiration from tradition.
skymantle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 02:44 PM   #3
KimboDoo

Thanks, Skymantel. I was thinking 'an elevated building with an annex and staircase' I'm guessing I'd have been wide of the mark??

I agree it isn't very appealing, but something about it is quite striking.

skymantle liked this post
Old August 1st, 2015, 08:53 PM   #4
KimboDoo

Ok, here's another one. How does one go about describing this building... is that an annexe for example?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl=...FciqHgodPjwFUw

*Sorry for the two German examples, I'm holiday browsing
Old August 4th, 2015, 09:48 AM   #5
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1607

Skymantle is not entirely right on the first one. First of all, the building is heavily altered from its original form. The gable is not a typical dutch gable, you find that sort of gable more in middle to southern germany, but is was a widely used feature on private villas of the "Heimatstil" The timber panelling is more french or to be more precise belgian, which is a hint to the belgian seaside resort architecture and gives the building the connection to its nordic environment. Last the buildings ornamentaion or whats left of it is refering to the "Jugenstil" movement. So in fact, the building is pretty eclectic.

The second Building is more of a combination of some strange sort of (nordic)Neorenaissance (the gable) with the german "Bäderarchitektur" while this window "ornamentaion" is often used on whide range of neotradtional buildings.
So as the first one, its pretty eclectic.
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote