daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2015, 12:37 AM   #41
Titus-Pullo

Likes (Received): 4108

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisssme View Post
no. the facade was built in the 1930's.
In the same block, the buildings that were built in the 17th century , the ones who have historical value, have not been destroyed.
Yes for the Rue Baillet (1932) but not for the Rue de Rivoli (1852), the project of the architect Henri Savage (in Art-Deco style) was not carried because of the recession in the 1930s and the architect's dead : http://www.jeanfrancoiscabestan.com/...amaritaine.pdf

The 19th century facade of the Rue de Rivoli constitutes the most important destroyed parts and several buildings of the 17th-18th centuries have been well destroyed at 2-6 Rue Baillet : http://archieturbanisme.canalblog.co.../31067357.html
Titus-Pullo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2015, 07:12 AM   #42
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5147

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisssme View Post
Theatre de l'Empire
(destroyed by fire)

Oh god, 80 years ago everything was so classy. The building looked wonderful, and those cars make the picture great. I wish there was some kind of style revival nowadays.

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★

Neric007 liked this post
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 10:05 AM   #43
Neric007

Likes (Received): 2195

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGA196 View Post
Oh god, 80 years ago everything was so classy. The building looked wonderful, and those cars make the picture great. I wish there was some kind of style revival nowadays.
Yeah I also wish architect throughout the world could come up with more distinctive styles inspired by those from the past to see what it'd be like.

Regarding lost architecture in Paris, pretty much everything that was build during the world fairs and got destroyed afterwards should be featured here.

Another example: The Main gate for the 1900 fair. So elegant.

Source: http://www.ville-breuillet.fr/index....etacontenu=603
Neric007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 10:25 AM   #44
Axel76NG

Likes (Received): 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neric007 View Post
Yeah I also wish architect throughout the world could come up with more distinctive styles inspired by those from the past to see what it'd be like.
Well that's a fallacy because when those beautiful styles were first introduced they were daring and new, and did not use any inspiration from the classical styles. Many people hated styles like art nouveau or art deco because they were not considered classy but instead revolting or cheap.

The only reason that cities/ people were willing to let architects go wild during these expositions is because they knew the buildings wouldn't last anyway. For example, the Eiffel tower was considered by many to be the worst thing to happen to Paris, but it managed to get approved because it was sold to the Parisians as a 20 year deal. Had it been planned as a permanent structure from day 1, it would never have been allowed, again, because it was scrap metal that was not classy or distinctive enough (125 years later we are able to look at it without the nostalgia of that period, and call it what it is, classy and beautiful).
Axel76NG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 11:17 AM   #45
Neric007

Likes (Received): 2195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel76NG View Post
Well that's a fallacy because when those beautiful styles were first introduced they were daring and new, and did not use any inspiration from the classical styles. Many people hated styles like art nouveau or art deco because they were not considered classy but instead revolting or cheap.

The only reason that cities/ people were willing to let architects go wild during these expositions is because they knew the buildings wouldn't last anyway. For example, the Eiffel tower was considered by many to be the worst thing to happen to Paris, but it managed to get approved because it was sold to the Parisians as a 20 year deal. Had it been planned as a permanent structure from day 1, it would never have been allowed, again, because it was scrap metal that was not classy or distinctive enough (125 years later we are able to look at it without the nostalgia of that period, and call it what it is, classy and beautiful).
I was not talking about the stuff built during the World fairs. And we saw many revivals of styles from the past (neogothic, neoclassical and so on).

I'm not saying it's the way to go but just that I'd be curious to see what a Neo-haussmannian would be like.
Neric007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 12:28 PM   #46
Axel76NG

Likes (Received): 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neric007 View Post
I was not talking about the stuff built during the World fairs. And we saw many revivals of styles from the past (neogothic, neoclassical and so on).

I'm not saying it's the way to go but just that I'd be curious to see what a Neo-haussmannian would be like.
ok fair enough i misunderstood your message. The point i was making though is that these architects of the time were trying new things, they were going against all the strict established rules of the past and letting their talents fully express themselves. People (not you) that say that we shouldn't build anything modern and instead stick to the architecture of past visionaries are doing exactly the opposite of what these visionaries would have done; they are behaving like those that once frowned upon their work.

That being said, I am against the destruction of past marvels, but i don't think we should hold architects back.

Neric007 liked this post
Axel76NG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 10:19 PM   #47
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5147

I think that not all lost Paris is bad... Here we have a before and after of the place were now stands the Place Louis Lepine, built in 1934:

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★

alexandru.mircea liked this post
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 01:54 AM   #48
Fro7en
I Love Rien!

Likes (Received): 869

yeah
Old October 1st, 2015, 01:55 AM   #49
Fro7en
I Love Rien!

Likes (Received): 869

Quote:
there is some.
Old October 1st, 2015, 10:33 PM   #50
Titus-Pullo

Likes (Received): 4108

Quote:
I think that not all lost Paris is bad... Here we have a before and after of the place were now stands the Place Louis Lepine, built in 1934
Sure, but most destructions were regrettable because restorations provide pleasing results.

For example the old houses of the square, Place Plumereau, in Tours have been restored between the 60's and 80's.

http://www.jedefiscalise.com/malraux...x/?print=print

http://www.waymarking.com/gallery/im...c-a3792a5239b6

Unfortunately, urban heritage regeneration in the 19th century was scarce...
Titus-Pullo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2015, 01:28 PM   #51
Walkthroughs12

Likes (Received): 0

Amazing

Incredible images,
really loved it
Thanks for share ,
Walkthroughs12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2015, 04:42 PM   #52
maddybella

Likes (Received): 0