daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 12th, 2015, 06:00 PM   #1
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Stately buildings of the late 19th/early 20th century

Let's share pictures and information about grand, stately buildings of the late 19th century to the early 20th century, around the time frame of 1870-1914 (Franco-Prussian War till WWI).
Please don't just post pictures, but also post some information about the buildinga. Let me kick this thread off:

The city hall of Hamburg (Hamburger Rathaus), Germany was built from 1886 to 1897 in neo-renaissance style by a group of 7(!!) architects, led by the architect Martin Haller.

Rathaus by Dave Coombs, on Flickr

The city hall's bell tower is impressive 112m tall:

Hamburg Rathaus Turm by wolf, on Flickr

The large complex also encompasses a courtyard with the "Hygieia Fountain":

Hamburg 漢堡 by linolo, on Flickr

Some more details of the building, before we come to the extraordinary interior:

the Hamburg Rathaus by Werner Böhm, on Flickr

Rathaus by Thorsten Hansen, on Flickr

The interior is lavishly and excessively decorated, as Hamburg wanted to celebrate it's status as one of the most important cities of the rich Hanseatic League as well as being it's own city state.

Rathaus Hamburg 20100102_9560_t by Markus, on Flickr

Rathaus Hamburg 20100102_9558_t by Markus, on Flickr

Rathaus Hamburg / City Hall Hamburg by waterman75, on Flickr

Rathaus Hamburg 20100102_9549_t by Markus, on Flickr

Rathaus Hamburg 20100102_9556_t by Markus, on Flickr

Hamburg - Rathaus by Carsten Meyer, on Flickr

Alright, I hope, you enjoyed it and I hope, to see great other buildings from all over Europe from you guys!

Last edited by Tiaren; August 13th, 2015 at 05:42 AM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2015, 12:34 AM   #2
EagleswordTW

Likes (Received): 188

Copenhagen City Hall (Danish: Københavns Rådhus) is the headquarters of the municipal council as well as the Lord mayor of the Copenhagen Municipality, Denmark. The building is situated on The City Hall Square in central Copenhagen. The construction started in 1893 and was completed 1905.

Københavns Rådhus by Alex Maneu, on Flickr

Københavns Rådhus by Siew Feun, on Flickr

Copenhagen City Hall Tower - Denmark by mbell1975, on Flickr

Cityhall - Interior detail by Thomas Rousing, on Flickr

Perspective Floor by trm42, on Flickr
Old August 13th, 2015, 12:44 AM   #3
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10736

What do you mean by stately? Performing important public functions? (Like city hall, ministry etc buildings.)

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #4
EagleswordTW

The Parliament House (Swedish: Riksdagshuset), is the seat of the parliament of Sweden, the Riksdag. It is located on nearly half of Helgeandsholmen (island), in the Gamla stan (old town) district of central Stockholm. The construction started in 1897 and was completeed in 1905.

SWE2012 Old Riksdagshuset by Sandrine, on Flickr

Riksdagshuset i Stockholm by jansmh, on Flickr

Riksdagshuset by P-O Cederholm, on Flickr

Stockholm_2013 05 30_1894 by Harvey Barrison, on Flickr

Riksgatan (Swe: National Street) by J-O Eriksson, on Flickr

Stockholm Old Town from the City Hall tower by Gösta Knochenhauer, on Flickr

Pride of the family by Jan Hasselberg, on Flickr

Stoccolma - Riksdagshuset by Alessandra, on Flickr

Stoccolma - Riksdagshuset by Alessandra, on Flickr

100_3725.JPG by Steven Tellers, on Flickr

riksdagsutb. 006 by Inga Lill Siggelsten Blum, on Flickr
Old August 13th, 2015, 01:17 AM   #5
EagleswordTW

The New Town Hall (German: Neues Rathaus) or New City Hall in Hanover, Germany, is a city hall and was opened on July 20, 1913, after having been under construction for 12 years. It is a magnificent, castle-like building of the era of Wilhelm II in eclectic style at the southern edge of the inner city (outside of the historic city centre of Hanover). The building is embedded in the 10 hectare Maschpark. The Old Town Hall is no longer used as the main seat of administration, but houses businesses and the registry office.

100 Jahre Neues Rathaus Hannover by Carsten Nacke, on Flickr

Rathaus - Maschteich, Hannover by Elke Kemna, on Flickr

Rathaus Hannover by Alexander Brodeßer, on Flickr

Rathaus, Hannover by FOXTROT|ROMEO, on Flickr

Niedersächsischer Landtag und Neues Rathaus Hannover by Stefan Bock, on Flickr

Entrance City Hall Hannover by .Markus Landsmann - markuslandsmann.zenfolio.com, on Flickr

old architecture by Michi, on Flickr
Old August 13th, 2015, 06:28 AM   #6
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandru.mircea View Post
What do you mean by stately? Performing important public functions? (Like city hall, ministry etc buildings.)
Oxford Dictionary:
Quote:
Impressive or grand in size, appearance, or manner.
example: "a stately 19th-century mansion"
Thanks for your contributions, Eaglesword, these examples are beautiful and very impressive. It's a shame though, that the Riksdag was so heavily modernized. It reminds me of the other "Reichstag" in Berlin, that was heavily modernized, because it was destryoyed in the war and later completely gutted... Though it's new dome by Norman Foster is imho an amazing addition. Speaking of Riksdag/Reichstag:

Sitting at the edge of Berlin's Tiergarten, the Reichstag (the German Parliament) opened in 1894 and was designed by the architect Paul Wallot.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

It is designed in a monumental neo-renaissance style.

Reichstag (867020) by Thomas Becker, on Flickr

Cupola by Bjoern, on Flickr

As I said, the entire interior is modern due to destruction unfortunately, though Norman Foster's glass dome is very impressive in it's own right:

Reichstagskuppel | Reichstag dome by visitBerlin, on Flickr

Next to the Reichstag sits the Reichstagspräsidentenpalais (typical German Name ), the stately seat of the president of the Reichstag. It was built in 1899 to 1904 also by Wallot, the architect of the Reichstag:

Berlin City Tour by René Fichtmüller, on Flickr

Reichstagspräsidentenpalais by Michael, on Flickr

Some unfortunately very small pics of its beautifully preserved interior:

Old August 14th, 2015, 07:29 AM   #7
Tiaren

The Bode-Museum in Berlin, Germany opened in 1904 and was build by Ernst Eberhard von Ihne.

Bode Museum by Stefan Rohlaender, on Flickr

The neo baroque palace sits like a boat in the river Spree and is only accessible through two bridges.

Bode Museum by Jennifer Morrow, on Flickr

The interior is just as magnificent as the outside already promises:

Germany - Berlin - Bode Museum - HDR 17 10 2014 by Redstone Hill, on Flickr

There's also a second large dome:

Tapis rouge. by Guilhem Lascaux, on Flickr

BER_Bode_05 by chiang_benjamin, on Flickr

Old August 14th, 2015, 03:22 PM   #8
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Romanian Athenaeum, Bucharest:

Atheneul Roman, Bucuresti, Romania
by Gaspar Serrano, on Flickr

Ateneul Roman
by Sorinmountains, on Flickr

The Romanian Athenaeum - Ateneul Roman
by George Groutas, on Flickr

Panorámica HDR del Ateneul Român, Bucureşti, România
by Gaspar Serrano, on Flickr

Ateneul Roman
by fusion-of-horizons, on Flickr

The organ in the Ateneul Român
by Frans Sellies, on Flickr

Ateneul Român
by Paco CT, on Flickr

Untitled
by fusion-of-horizons, on Flickr

Was built in the last decade of the 19th century by public subscription, by a French architect in the French Eclecticist style, and remains the premier venue for classical music in the country. The acoustics are amazing.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

Old August 14th, 2015, 03:58 PM   #9
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Justice Palace, Bucharest

https://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fi%C8%...ti%C5%A3ie.jpg

Bucharest Court / Tribunalul Bucuresti
by mares_ionut, on Flickr

Justice Palace (1895), Bucharest
by Classic Bucharest, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dpgwan/4761164162/

Was built 1890-1895 in French Neo-Renaissance style.

===

===

skymantle, City Cityzen, Tiaren liked this post
Old August 14th, 2015, 05:08 PM   #10
skymantle

Likes (Received): 3115

Austrian Parliament Vienna, 1871 - 1883.

Possibly the most amazing neoclassical building ever built. History of the building and architect.

Old August 16th, 2015, 12:15 PM   #11
EagleswordTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Oxford Dictionary:

Thanks for your contributions, Eaglesword, these examples are beautiful and very impressive. It's a shame though, that the Riksdag was so heavily modernized. It reminds me of the other "Reichstag" in Berlin, that was heavily modernized, because it was destryoyed in the war and later completely gutted... Though it's new dome by Norman Foster is imho an amazing addition. Speaking of Riksdag/Reichstag:

Sitting at the edge of Berlin's Tiergarten, the Reichstag (the German Parliament) opened in 1894 and was designed by the architect Paul Wallot.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

It is designed in a monumental neo-renaissance style.

Reichstag (867020) by Thomas Becker, on Flickr

Cupola by Bjoern, on Flickr

As I said, the entire interior is modern due to destruction unfortunately, though Norman Foster's glass dome is very impressive in it's own right:

Reichstagskuppel | Reichstag dome by visitBerlin, on Flickr

Next to the Reichstag sits the Reichstagspräsidentenpalais (typical German Name ), the stately seat of the president of the Reichstag. It was built in 1899 to 1904 also by Wallot, the architect of the Reichstag:

Berlin City Tour by René Fichtmüller, on Flickr

Some unfortunately very small pics of its beautifully preserved interior:

Yes, that's true. but only small part of the Swedish riksdag have been modernized. Biggest part is still intact but with upgraded interior. The modern part you saw in the photo, is where the debates and voting occur, but original that part of the riksdag wasn't even a part of the riksdag. In the beginning half of the building belonged to the swedish national bank, and it was in the 70s when the national bank moved and riksdag took the over the building. But I agree with you, I do like them more in their original form. Good idea with the thread!
EagleswordTW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 01:41 PM   #12
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleswordTW View Post
Copenhagen City Hall (Danish: Københavns Rådhus) is the headquarters of the municipal council as well as the Lord mayor of the Copenhagen Municipality, Denmark. The building is situated on The City Hall Square in central Copenhagen. The construction started in 1893 and was completed 1905.

Københavns Rådhus by Siew Feun, on Flickr
This is interesting in that instead of being yet another take on classicism it has a rather sober and rustic castle style. I don't know the area but maybe this style fits better there? This take on major landmark buildings was rarer in that era, but I am reminded of the Château Frontenac in Québec.

===

===

Old August 16th, 2015, 04:13 PM   #13
EagleswordTW

Quote:
This is interesting in that instead of being yet another take on classicism it has a rather sober and rustic castle style. I don't know the area but maybe this style fits better there? This take on major landmark buildings was rarer in that era, but I am reminded of the Château Frontenac in Québec.
Yes, I do think that it fits there very well Maybe it is just because of I being used of that the building is located there but I do really like that building a lot. There is also other buildings like the scandic hotel that is very similar to the Rådhus which is located within the same square. Copenhagen-218 by CucombreLibre, on Flickr

alexandru.mircea liked this post

Last edited by EagleswordTW; August 16th, 2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old August 16th, 2015, 07:08 PM   #14
Tiaren

Quote:
It is actually inspired by the brick renaissance architecture in Siena, especially the city hall there:

It's fairly typical for that period, that sometimes styles are chosen, that are not regional but that are typical for famous similar types of buildings, a city hall in this case, from somewhere else. Renaissance Siena was famed for their proud an rich citizens

An article from the internet:

Quote:
Years ago, in my high school days, I went with my class on a trip to Italy. One of the most remarkable experiences of that trip was climbing to the top of the tower of the old city hall in the medieval town of Siena. At the top of which my history teacher told me and my fellow students, that this building had been the inspiration for the city hall in Copenhagen, Denmark. Since then I have always been thinking of Siena when I’ve walked past the city hall in Copenhagen which was build between 1892 and 1905 as the 6th city hall of Copenhagen throughout history.
Considering how many danish artists and architects traveled to Italy as part of their studies throughout the 18th and 19th century, it is not surprising that some parts and buildings of Copenhagen have a distinct mark of Italian style. That is especially the case in the areas of the city that were destroyed during the great fire of 1795 and the British bombardment in 1807. These parts of town were often sought out by the painters of the 19th century who, being far from the colony of Danish painters in Rome, would still get a bit of that Italian atmosphere.
http://historyman.dk/behind-the-pain...penhagen-1831/

EagleswordTW liked this post
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 08:32 PM   #15
EagleswordTW

The Stockholm Court House (Swedish: Stockholms Rådhus) is situated on Kungsholmen in Central Stockholm, Sweden. The building is connected to the Stockholm Police House through an underground pedestrian walkway.
The building was designed in the National Romantic style, and was constructed between 1909 and 1915. The architecture was influenced by the Castles of the Vasa era, and it bears a resemblance to Vadstena Castle.
A fire ravaged the third floor of the south/left wing of the building in June 2008.

Stockholm - Court House by e_velo (εωγ), on Flickr

Sweden_0599 - Stockholm Court House by Dennis Jarvis, on Flickr

Stockholm by yann78, on Flickr

Sweden_0609 by Dennis Jarvis, on Flickr

inside rådhuset 02 by Anna T, on Flickr

studiebesök Tingsrätten inbyggd gård by Lisbeth48, on Flickr

inside rådhuset 01 by Anna T, on Flickr

inside rådhuset 03 by Anna T, on Flickr

Last edited by EagleswordTW; August 16th, 2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old August 16th, 2015, 08:37 PM   #16
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Thanks, the Palazzo Pubblico in Siena is a great tip. There are indeed famous buildings whose influence can be detected far away and in different artistic cultures, where one wouldn't normally expect it - the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence even more so. (As a side note, both are late medieval, not renaissance.)

What I like is that even if the architect has taken inspiration from Italian architecture, the result is perfectly original and more of a Northern interpretation to the source than a faithful copy.

===

===

Tiaren liked this post
Old August 16th, 2015, 08:46 PM   #17
EagleswordTW

Helsingborg City Hall, designed by Alfred Hellerström and built 1897. 1889 an architectural competition was held to determine the design of Helsingborg's New Town Hall. The competition was won by the only 26-year-old Alfred Hellerström who had just graduated from the Art Academy in Stockholm. There are also offices for the municipal administration. Since 1965 there is a possibility to do civil weddings in the building. In 1967 the building was declared as a historic building.

The Cityhall in Helsingborg by Lars Odemark, on Flickr

Helsingborg Cityhall by Lars Odemark, on Flickr

Helsingborgs Rådhus by Anders Palovaara, on Flickr

Rådhuset by Alexander Pedersen, on Flickr

Helsingborg rådhus by Lars Odemark, on Flickr

SSA50064.JPG by stillbild, on Flickr

Helsingborg cityhall #1 by Lars Odemark, on Flickr

Untitled by Christer, on Flickr

Helsingborgs rådhus by Pelle Sten, on Flickr
Old August 17th, 2015, 12:51 PM   #18
EagleswordTW

Leipzig New Town Hall (Neues Rathaus) is the seat of the Leipzig city administration since 1905. It stands within the Leipzig's "ring road" on the south west corner opposite the city library at Martin-Luther-Ring.

New City Hall / Neues Rathaus by Katrin, on Flickr

New town hall, Leipzig, Germany by Tobias, on Flickr

Leipzig – Old and new by Michiel, on Flickr

Leipzig 2015 – Neues Rathaus by Michiel, on Flickr

Neues Rathaus, Leipzig, Germany by Jochen Hertweck, on Flickr

Rathaus Burgplatz nach 1912 Hertel StA by Stadtgeschichte Leipzig, on Flickr

More interior photos here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Town_Hall_(Leipzig)
Old August 17th, 2015, 06:24 PM   #19
Tiaren

Why don't post some interiors? They are just as interesting.

Neues Rathaus, Leipzig interior, an interesting blend of Jugendstil and neo-renaissance:

Neues Rathaus - (Town Hall) - Leipzig City Centre - Stadtzentrum by Mr Edd., on Flickr

Leipzig - Neues Rathaus by jaime.silva, on Flickr

Neues Rathaus by Nevernote, on Flickr

Neues Rathaus - (Town Hall) - Leipzig City Centre - Stadtzentrum by Mr Edd., on Flickr

source: Wipedia

source: Wikipedia
Old August 17th, 2015, 10:03 PM   #20
EagleswordTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Why don't post some interiors? They are just as interesting.

Neues Rathaus, Leipzig interior, an interesting blend of Jugendstil and neo-renaissance:

Leipzig - Neues Rathaus by jaime.silva, on Flickr

Neues Rathaus by Nevernote, on Flickr

source: Wipedia

source: Wikipedia
Yes you're right, the thing was just that I didnt find any good photos, I dont understand how I could miss those you uploaded. Btw, I didnt know you could upload from wikipedia, I have to learn how. Btw, very intresting photos, they look for sure very good. A very nice rathhaus indeed.

Tolbert liked this post

Tags
19th century, europe, historical architecture