daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 17th, 2015, 10:53 PM   #21
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7404

The Marineschule Mürwik (Naval academy Mürwik) ist the main training center of the German Navy. It is placed in Flensburg, Schleswig-Holstein. Built between 1907 and 1910, the architecture was intended to resemble the Castle of the Teutonic Order in Marienburg (poln. Malbork).

http://www.zbw-klinker.de/fileadmin/...eschule_07.jpg

http://www.zbw-klinker.de/fileadmin/...eschule_04.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/august...356700/sizes/l

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...jpg?uselang=de

Window above the entrance to the main staircase
"To preserve peace, primed for struggle (or fight), with fluttering banners, in an iron frock, so send german ships, from Sea to Sea, the message from Germany, the peace around." Sorry for the lousy translation

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...jpg?uselang=de

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...jpg?uselang=de

Assembly hall

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/99355177

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/99354460

WW1 memorial

https://www.flickr.com/photos/921886...67551/sizes/l/

Ceiling

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...jpg?uselang=de

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2015, 01:16 PM   #22
EagleswordTW

Likes (Received): 188

Another building from Leipzig: Located in Leipzig, Saxony, Germany, the building (German: Reichsgerichtsgebäude) was designed by Ludwig Hoffmann and Peter Dybwad, and construction was completed in 1895. It is designed in the Italian renaissance style and features two large courtyards, a central cupola and a large portico at the entrance.[4] The rich decorative gable and sculptures are by Otto Lessing. After the reunification, the former Reichsgericht building was renovated and became the seat of the Bundesverwaltungsgericht (Federal Administrative Court).

pano-reichsgericht-endformat-2048px by Andreas Krüger, on Flickr

Leipzig - Reichsgericht by xiphophilos, on Flickr

Reichsgericht / Bundesverwaltungsgericht Leipzig by Christian H., on Flickr

1888/95 Leipzig Wahrheit mit Fackel von Otto Lessing auf Kuppel Reichsgericht 69mH von Ludwig Hoffmann/Peter Dybwad Simsonplatz 1 in 04107 by Bergfels, on Flickr

1888/95 Leipzig Säulenportikus mit Kompositkapitellen am Reichsgericht in italienischer Spätrenaissance von Ludwig Hoffmann/Peter Dybwad Simsonplatz 1 in 04107 by Bergfels, on Flickr
Leipzig 2015 – Bundesverwaltungsgericht by Michiel, on Flickr

e_G1O4900.jpg by Roland Rossner, on Flickr

Blick vom City Hochhaus by Ivonne, on Flickr

Imperial court - Main stairway by SebastianBerlin, on Flickr
Old August 18th, 2015, 07:36 PM   #23
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Wow, you are so fast, to post some of my favorite buildings, that I was planning to post sooner or later myself, haha. But please go on, you are doing a great job! Thanks so much for contributing to this thread. (Thanks also to alexandru and Saxonia! )
You seem very knowledgeable/interested in German 19th century architecture for someone from Sweden, Eaglesword. How come?

I hope you, you don't mind me posting some more interior views of the Bundesverwaltungsgericht in Leipzig, as they are so amazing:

[IMG]Stairway inside a court building. by Björn, on Flickr[/IMG]

source: Wikipedia

source:Wikipedia

WG1O4781.jpg by Roland Rossner, on Flickr

WG1O4778+79.jpg by Roland Rossner, on Flickr

Absolutely gorgeous interior!
Old August 19th, 2015, 12:01 AM   #24
Photodash

Likes (Received): 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxonia View Post
The Marineschule Mürwik (Naval academy Mürwik) ist the main training center of the German Navy. It is placed in Flensburg, Schleswig-Holstein. Built between 1907 and 1910, the architecture was intended to resemble the Castle of the Teutonic Order in Marienburg (poln. Malbork).

http://www.zbw-klinker.de/fileadmin/...eschule_07.jpg
This seems to be taking some inspiration from its Royal Navy counterpart at Dartmouth...

http://www.discoverdartmouth.net/dar...-naval-college

alexandru.mircea, sorbitol liked this post
Photodash no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 12:27 AM   #25
Tiaren

Let's formally add it to the thread!

Britannia Royal Naval College, UK. Built between 1902-1905 in so called Edwardian Baroque:

Britannia Royal Naval College from Kingswear, 04-08-2015 by Salisbury Exile, on Flickr

Britannia Royal Naval College by Stuart-Lee, on Flickr

The inside is an interesting mix of Edwardian Baroque and Tudor:

Britannia Royal Naval College, Dartmouth. by Vicky Chandler, on Flickr

Poop Deck, BRNC Dartmouth by Simon Lane, on Flickr

GWUK-56 Britannia Royal Naval College Chapel, Dartmouth, Devon. by Budby, on Flickr

Britannia Chapel by Stuart-Lee, on Flickr

Not easy to find high quality pictures...

Last edited by Tiaren; August 19th, 2015 at 12:44 AM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 10:08 AM   #26
EagleswordTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post

Wow, you are so fast, to post some of my favorite buildings, that I was planning to post sooner or later myself, haha. But please go on, you are doing a great job! Thanks so much for contributing to this thread. (Thanks also to alexandru and Saxonia! )
You seem very knowledgeable/interested in German 19th century architecture for someone from Sweden, Eaglesword. How come?

I hope you, you don't mind me posting some more interior views of the Bundesverwaltungsgericht in Leipzig, as they are so amazing:

[IMG]Stairway inside a court building. by Björn, on Flickr[/IMG]

source: Wikipedia

source:Wikipedia

WG1O4781.jpg by Roland Rossner, on Flickr

WG1O4778+79.jpg by Roland Rossner, on Flickr

Absolutely gorgeous interior!
haha ofc no problems I enjoy uploading photos here so I do it fast I have under a long time been liking European architecture from the 1700s to around 1920 and because of Germany being such a rich country in that time they have a lot of architectural wonders and Reichsgericht is one of the favorite buildings in the world. You did the right thing to upload more interior, it is really outstanding. I haven't been to Sachsen yet but I will hopefully soon. Btw, yes I am from Sweden but in two weeks I will be moving to Freiburg in Germany so maybe that proves something But I will continue to upload photos here, it is really a great thread!
EagleswordTW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 11:23 AM   #27
EagleswordTW

Okay, another rathaus in Germany: The New Town Hall (German: Neues Rathaus) is a town hall at the northern part of Marienplatz in Munich, Bavaria, Germany. It hosts the city government including the city council, offices of the mayors and part of the administration. In 1874 the municipality had left the Old Town Hall for its new domicile. It was built between 1867 and 1908 by Georg von Hauberrisser in a Gothic Revival architecture style. It covers an area of 9159 m² having 400 rooms. The 100 meters long main facade towards the Marienplatz is richly decorated. It shows the Guelph Duke Henry the Lion, and almost the entire line of the Wittelsbach dynasty in Bavaria and is the largest princely cycle in a German town hall. The central monument in the center of the main facade between the two phases at Marienplatz above the guard house, is an equestrian statue of Prince Regent Luitpold. The bay of the tower contains statues of the first four Bavarian kings.

München - Munich by Sylvi, on Flickr

München - Marienplatz, Neues Rathaus und Frauenkirche #8403DRI by Hans-Christian Müller, on Flickr

Neues Rathaus München by modalspace, on Flickr

Taxi Taxi by Werner Böhm, on Flickr

München: Frauenkirche und Rathaus by Renate Adolfs, on Flickr

Munich by Ionut Iordache, on Flickr

Neues Rathaus by linmtheu, on Flickr

DSC02571 by c+g family album, on Flickr

Munich, Neues Rathaus (Georg von Hauberrisser 1867-1908) 9888 by J0N6, on Flickr

Neues Rathaus München by Karim von Orelli, on Flickr

München, Rathaus, Impressionen aus dem Flur im zweiten Stockwerk by Heribert Pohl > 3 million Views, Thanks, on Flickr

IMG_2328 - München - Neues Rathaus - Spiral Stair by Bossi, on Flickr

A view inside the New Town Hall, München, Germany by Optical illusion, on Flickr

I know I am missing good interior parts of the building, Please add any if you find them. Thanks
Old August 19th, 2015, 12:20 PM   #28
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14399

nice buildings

The Bizkaia Delegation Palace is an eclectic mansion in the Ensanche area of Bilbao, Spain. It's the seat of the executive branch of Government of Biscay, the legislative assembly meets in Gernika. It was built between 1890 and 1900 by architect Luis Aladren, by the Gran Vía de Don Diego López de Haro avenue.

Gran vía_Diputación (360º interactiva) by Juan Ignacio Llana Ugalde, en Flickr
Monumento Foral by Borja Gómez, en Flickr
Old August 21st, 2015, 06:04 PM   #29
EagleswordTW

I know this building was completed a bit before the given date but however: Helsinki City Hall (Finnish: Helsingin kaupungintalo, Swedish: Helsingfors stadshus) is a central administrative building of City of Helsinki, Finland. The city hall is located in the Kruununhaka district next to Market Square, at address Pohjoisesplanadi 11–13. Completed in 1833, the building originally served as Hotel Seurahuone and was an important cultural facility hosting many premieres. The hotel was designed by Carl Ludvig Engel who also designed the major buildings around the nearby Senate Square. The city purchased the building in 1901 and, after the hotel moved out in 1913, renovated it as a city hall. Following an architectural competition the City Hall was radically remodeled by architect Aarno Ruusuvuori in 1965–70, replacing many of the old classical interiors and building modern glass-facaded insertions.

Kaupungintalo (City Hall), Helsinki by Dan, on Flickr

Helsinki City Hall by Miss Mandarina, on Flickr

South Harbour (Eteläsatama), Helsinki by Dan, on Flickr

Helsinki City Hall by Simon Collison, on Flickr

Helsinki city hall by PhotoNinja.Chunin, on Flickr

Untitled by p_h_o_t_o_m_i_c, on Flickr

HDL Global 2010 Day 3 by Helsinki Design Lab, on Flickr

Helsinki City Hall banquet hall by hugovk, on Flickr

Helsingin kaupungintalon juhlasali by totinkoti, on Flickr

night ship by Harry Purwanto, on Flickr

alexandru.mircea liked this post
Old August 25th, 2015, 04:02 PM   #30
EagleswordTW

I hope this building is okay, it is state owned building but isn't used by the government: The Nordic Museum (Swedish: Nordiska museet) is a museum located on Djurgården, an island in central Stockholm, Sweden, dedicated to the cultural history and ethnography of Sweden from the Early Modern age (which for purposes of Swedish history is said to begin in 1520) until the contemporary period. The museum was founded in the late 19th century by Artur Hazelius, who also founded the open-air museum Skansen, long part of the museum, until the institutions were made independent of each other in 1963.

The present building, the design of Isak Gustaf Clason, was completed in 1907. Originally, it was intended to be a national monument housing the material inheritance of the nation. It was, however, only half-completed for the Stockholm Exposition 1897, and it never was completed to the extent originally planned, three times the actual size. It takes its style from Dutch-influenced Danish Renaissance architecture (i.e. buildings such as Frederiksborg Palace) rather than any specifically Swedish historical models. The core of the "cathedralesque" building is taken up by a huge main hall passing through all the stories up to the roof and dominated by the enormous sculpture of King Gustav Vasa, the Swedish so called founder-king. For the construction, brick and granite was used for the walls, while concrete was used for the roof.

Nordiska Museet, Stockholm, Sweden by Patty M., on Flickr

IMG_2740REP by Andréas Eriksson, on Flickr

Nordiska Museet by Melinda van den Brink, on Flickr

Nordiska Museet by ♥Kiki Hood♥, on Flickr

Nordiska Museet by Dmitry, on Flickr

Nordiska Museet by Magnus_SWE, on Flickr

Nordiska Museet by Sabrina Miso, on Flickr

Nordiska Museet by Jon Parise, on Flickr

The Great Hall by Tobias Lindman, on Flickr

Nordiska museet-Stockholm by Never House, on Flickr

Nordiska Museet by Mikko Muinonen, on Flickr

Nordiska Museet by Karl Schultz, on Flickr
Old August 25th, 2015, 04:11 PM   #31
EagleswordTW

Manchester Town Hall is a Victorian, Neo-gothic municipal building in Manchester, England. It is the ceremonial headquarters of Manchester City Council and houses a number of local government departments. The building faces Albert Square to the north, featuring the Albert Memorial and St Peter's Square to the south, home to The Cenotaph.

Designed by architect Alfred Waterhouse, the town hall was completed in 1877. The building contains offices and grand ceremonial rooms such as the Great Hall which is decorated with Ford Madox Brown's imposing Manchester Murals illustrating the history of the city. The entrance and Sculpture Hall contain busts and statues of influential figures including Dalton, Joule and Barbirolli. The exterior is dominated by the clock tower which rises to 280 feet (85 m) and houses Great Abel, the clock bell.

Sunrise over Manchester Town Hall by Jason Latham, on Flickr

Manchester Town Hall by Mike Serigrapher, on Flickr

Manchester town hall HDR by Stephen, on Flickr

Manchester by annemmu, on Flickr

Manchester Town Hall by Chetham's Library, on Flickr

Manchester Town Hall by Ian Flinders, on Flickr

Looking up by Neil101, on Flickr

Manchester Town Hall - panoramic photo by Abdulmajeed, on Flickr

Manchester Town Hall by Andrew Anderson, on Flickr

Manchester Town Hall by Karen Morris, on Flickr

Manchester Town Hall Extension by D H, on Flickr

Manchester Town Hall by J van de Pas, on Flickr
Old August 25th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #32
Weissenberg
Grid or Riot

Likes (Received): 297

Rotterdam City Hall, built 1914-1920. Designed by Henri Evers the structure is a mixture of various Netherlandish historical styles. It is one of the very few buildings in the city center that surived the German bombing of 1940.
Old August 25th, 2015, 04:55 PM   #33
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10736

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleswordTW View Post
I hope this building is okay, it is state owned building but isn't used by the government: The Nordic Museum (Swedish: Nordiska museet) is a museum located on Djurgården, an island in central Stockholm, Sweden, dedicated to the cultural history and ethnography of Sweden from the Early Modern age (which for purposes of Swedish history is said to begin in 1520) until the contemporary period. The museum was founded in the late 19th century by Artur Hazelius, who also founded the open-air museum Skansen, long part of the museum, until the institutions were made independent of each other in 1963.

The present building, the design of Isak Gustaf Clason, was completed in 1907. Originally, it was intended to be a national monument housing the material inheritance of the nation. It was, however, only half-completed for the Stockholm Exposition 1897, and it never was completed to the extent originally planned, three times the actual size. It takes its style from Dutch-influenced Danish Renaissance architecture (i.e. buildings such as Frederiksborg Palace) rather than any specifically Swedish historical models. The core of the "cathedralesque" building is taken up by a huge main hall passing through all the stories up to the roof and dominated by the enormous sculpture of King Gustav Vasa, the Swedish so called founder-king. For the construction, brick and granite was used for the walls, while concrete was used for the roof.

Nordiska Museet, Stockholm, Sweden by Patty M., on Flickr
Good shout, many of the best and most imposing buildings of the era were built as museums. I guess it was considered that shelters of identity go hand in hand with the shelters of authority. I'm thinking of the National Catalan Museum (a bit late but the same architectural style), the Natural History Museum in London, the Rijksmuseum etc.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities

EagleswordTW liked this post
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2015, 03:46 PM   #34
EagleswordTW

The Swedish Museum of Natural History (Swedish: Naturhistoriska riksmuseet, literally, the National Museum of Natural History), in Stockholm, is one of two major museums of natural history in Sweden. The present buildings for the museum in Frescati, Stockholm, was designed by the architect Axel Anderberg and completed in 1916, topped with a dome. As of 2014 it is the largest museum building in Sweden. The main campus of Stockholm University was later built next to the museum. The museum has an IMAX cinema called Cosmonova. The cinema is also the largest planetarium in Sweden.

Naturhistoriska riksmuseet, stockholm by Olof Bergqvist, on Flickr

Stockholm. Naturhistoriska Riksmuséet. by lennartborjeson, on Flickr

2014.10.26-IMG_2313 by Martin Kalfatovic, on Flickr

2014.10.26-IMG_2314 by Martin Kalfatovic, on Flickr

Naturhistoriska Riksmuseet 6 by kojiyam, on Flickr

Naturhistoriska Riksmuseet by Santi Villamarín, on Flickr

Stockholm. Naturhistoriska Riksmuseum. by lennartborjeson, on Flickr

Day 59/365 by Johannes Lundberg, on Flickr

20100522-IMGP4970.jpg by Lars Lorenz, on Flickr

Museum of natural history by Anders Sandberg, on Flickr

The Ring I by Henrik Sundholm, on Flickr

Big Boned by Henrik Sundholm, on Flickr

Tyrannosaurus Rex by Henrik Sundholm, on Flickr

A Természettudományi Múzeum kupolája - Dome of the Swedish Museum of Natural History by Gábor Hernádi, on Flickr

soren5en, alexandru.mircea liked this post
Old August 26th, 2015, 09:35 PM   #35
Tiaren

How about we post the first church in this thread?

Berlin Cathedral is a protestant church, that was designed by Julius and Otto Raschdorff (father and son) in neo-renaissance and neo-baroque style and was inaugurated by German Emperor Wilhelm II in 1905. The structure was heavily destroyed in WWII and has been rebuilt with slight modifications to the domes.

Berliner Dom / Berlin by Sebastian Warneke, on Flickr

Berliner Dom Evening I by Paul Turner, on Flickr

Part of the Berlin Cathedral by Matthias Fengler, on Flickr

DSC_7016 by Gareth UK, on Flickr

The lavish interior was painstakingly renovated after the war, so that it today seems, as if it had never been destroyed:

Berliner Dom Interior by Dipta Nandana, on Flickr

Berliner Dom by Loïc Lagarde, on Flickr

_MLF6079_80_81_ Berlin Cathedral by GREG WOOLLISCROFT, on Flickr

Last edited by Tiaren; August 26th, 2015 at 10:25 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2015, 11:20 PM   #36
EagleswordTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
How about we post the first church in this thread?

Berlin Cathedral is a protestant church, that was designed by Julius and Otto Raschdorff (father and son) in neo-renaissance and neo-baroque style and was inaugurated by German Emperor Wilhelm II in 1905. The structure was heavily destroyed in WWII and has been rebuilt with slight modifications to the domes.

Berliner Dom / Berlin by Sebastian Warneke, on Flickr

Berliner Dom Evening I by Paul Turner, on Flickr

Part of the Berlin Cathedral by Matthias Fengler, on Flickr

DSC_7016 by Gareth UK, on Flickr

The lavish interior was painstakingly renovated after the war, so that it today seems, as if it had never been destroyed:

Berliner Dom Interior by Dipta Nandana, on Flickr

Berliner Dom by Loïc Lagarde, on Flickr

_MLF6079_80_81_ Berlin Cathedral by GREG WOOLLISCROFT, on Flickr
wow, this interior I must say that the recreator did a great job after ww2. If I do remember correctly, wasn't the building located in east Berlin. If so it does surprise me how well the commies remade it Now I do really regret my decision not paying those 7 euros to enter the church.

Last edited by EagleswordTW; August 27th, 2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old August 27th, 2015, 12:03 AM   #37
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7404

The communists blew up the memorial church of the Hohenzollern.

on the left

http://www.abload.de/img/mv19254cs2.jpg

http://polpix.sueddeutsche.com/bild/...einweihung.jpg

Last edited by Saxonia; August 27th, 2015 at 12:22 PM.
Saxonia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2015, 08:11 PM   #38
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleswordTW View Post
Now I do really regret my decision not paying those 7 euros to enter the church.
Let me assist you, to regret it even more:

[IMG]Berliner Dom by ttykimo, on Flickr[/IMG]

2015-08-12_11-40-59.jpg by Dave Kneisz, on Flickr

Berliner Dom Sauer organ by Anthony P Holt, on Flickr

[IMG]Imperial Stairway Berlin - Germany by kleiner hobbit, on Flickr[/IMG]

There is also museum about the design and costruction of the Berlin Cathedral as well as a crypt with many hundreds of sarcophagi of the Hohenzollern dynasty.

Hohenzollerngruft by Rolf B., on Flickr

Germany - Berlin - Berliner Dom - Sarcophagus of Frederick William - The Great Elector by Jules, on Flickr

Sarcophagi by Kim, on Flickr

Germany - Berliner Dom by schnood, on Flickr

Berliner Dom by Mike Steele, on Flickr

Berliner Dom by Mike Steele, on Flickr

Last but not least, the view from the dome is breathtaking:

Berlin-29 by kanickmoses, on Flickr
Old August 27th, 2015, 11:02 PM   #39
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Saw this in another thread and I immediately thought it probably fits here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMArg View Post
The most imposing building of the city of Tucumán in Argentina: the Palace of Government

It was built according to Wikipedia between 1908 and 1910. Not bad for a provincial Argentine city!

A couple more pics:

[IMG]http://previews.*****.com/images/anibaltrejo/anibaltrejo1403/anibaltrejo140300296/26360282-Government-Palace-in-San-Miguel-de-Tucuman-Tucuman-province-northern-Argentina--Stock-Photo.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.*****.com/photo_26360282_...argentina.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tucum%...ernment_Palace

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

Tiaren, artObserver liked this post
Old August 27th, 2015, 11:07 PM   #40
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

How about this massive beaut, though:

Palace of the Argentine National Congress (1898 - 1906)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace...ional_Congress

Woof!

Surely there are loads of examples in Latin America, maybe someone better equiped can guide us through the best ones? Especially Argentina and Mexico should be a great hunting ground for examples.

===

===

Tiaren, EagleswordTW, Oplot-M, HURZ liked this post

Tags
19th century, europe, historical architecture