daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 25th, 2005, 08:30 PM   #1
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

CHICAGO | ABC7 State Street Studio | Com

So, rumor has it that ABC7 is planning to build a new street-level studio on State between Lake and Randolph. This is why the jewelry store and "Nuts on Clark" both lost their leases. So, the proof's in the pudding

Here's a snippet from an article by Red Streak's Sandra Guy that outlines some of the changes happening on State Street (including the studio).

Moving on up to State Street

Developers are also counting on a slew of new residents to move into luxury high-rises sprouting up throughout the Loop, several with a view of Millennium Park:

* A 32-story condo tower at the Walgreens site at the northeast corner of Randolph and State.

* 106 condos above the H&M and Nordstrom Rack stores at 20 N. State.

* 168 condos in the former Evans Fur building at 36 S. State.

* Library Tower at the southwest corner of State and Congress.

* And a bit farther south, the 243-unit State Place at 1101 S. State.

Plans call for several familiar storefronts to vacate State Street to make way for venues expected to draw bigger crowds.

For example:

* TheatreDreams Chicago, owner of the Chicago Theatre at 175 N. State, is in talks to purchase the Page Brothers Building next door. They want to put a restaurant in the building, displacing the off-track betting parlor there now, an informed source said. A spokeswoman for TheatreDreams said negotiations are under way.

* The vacant Toys R Us store at 10 S. State will be divided among three retailers: Office Depot, Urban Outfitters, a trendy apparel and dorm-decor retailer that varies offerings at each store; and Men's Warehouse/K&G Menswear, according to sources close to the negotiations.

* A building that once housed Burger King, a wig shop and an electronics store on the west side of State between Monroe and Adams is being marketed as a single lease.

* The Century Building at 202 S. State will be converted from office space to a 98-room boutique hotel that would sell rooms as condos.

* Nuts on Clark, Lane Jewelers and a credit union will vacate space at 190 N. State if WLS-Channel 7 succeeds in transforming the ground-floor of its headquarters at State and Lake into a streetfront studio.
geoff_diamond no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #2
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

I was walking by the site on Thursday when I stumbled across (almost literally) all of the barricading that had put up around the front of the project. Apparently, it had blown over around 6:15 that evening for no reason. Anyway, I took the opportunity to snap a few quick shots. Sorry for the quality - camera phones and dark environments never mix well.

Behold... the LCD screen ) This is only the lower section; they put another 20' on top of it later that night (which I saw when I went by the site again yesterday). This screen is going to be one of the coolest things in the city. It's got a .4mm pitch!!! (for those of you unfamiliar with LCD technology- that means quality that's on par with the best computer and laptop screens!!!).

Another shot of the LCD. It starts off parallel with the building's facade and then does a 90-degree twist about half way up so the upper portion is perpendicular to the facade and easily ledgible from well down State.

Old January 29th, 2006, 09:07 PM   #3
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Wow. That LCD is going to really be something.
spyguy no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2006, 06:41 AM   #4
cubsfan

Likes (Received): 0

LCD? Isn't it going to be an OLED display?

Last edited by cubsfan; January 30th, 2006 at 06:46 AM.
cubsfan no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2006, 01:46 AM   #5
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

wow. i remember the renderings of this , its look realy cool so far, i didnt realize how far along they are already on this
wickedestcity no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2006, 11:55 PM   #6
spyguy
Expert

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/...-sculpt09.html

WLS sculpture strikes a new State St. pose
February 9, 2006
BY MISHA DAVENPORT Staff Reporter

The Chicago Theatre marquee, one of the city's visual landmarks, just got some heavyweight competition.

Sixteen thousand pounds, in fact.

WLS-Channel 7 studios, located across State Street from the famed marquee, just took the wraps off an 8-ton, 42-foot-tall, 8-foot-wide sculpture that insiders are calling "Obelisk."

"We didn't just want a traditional sign," Channel 7 president and general manager Emily Barr said. "We're a television entity, and we knew it had to be something visually striking."

The sculpture's surface has an LED display capable of showing video images at a resolution higher than the faces projected on Crown Fountain in Millennium Park.

The company that built it also recently did a video marquee for ABC News in New York's Times Square.

The Chicago display was assembled outside the ABC-owned station at 190 N. State over the last couple of weeks. For several days it has been showing test images.

Staffers at the station are learning how to program the new visual marker, and Barr expects to start using it for station-specific content in the next three to four weeks.

"It will eventually feature a combination of live, on-air footage, taped shots of our anchors' faces, our logo and other images to reflect our programming."

In fact, Barr says, Chicagoans should think of the Obelisk as one long, tall TV set -- with one notable exception.

"We don't plan on running ads on it."
spyguy no está en línea  
Old February 10th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #7
headcase

The display is great looking, even with "just" the test images. I'll be curious to see what they do with it.
headcase no está en línea  
Old February 10th, 2006, 12:13 AM   #8
spyguy
Expert

Lynn Becker has some awesome shots of the studio and sign. I really think this will become a famous shot for people traveling State St.

Just brilliant.
spyguy no está en línea  
Old February 10th, 2006, 12:20 AM   #9
NWside

This certainly came out better than the half assed NBC 5 studio...
NWside no está en línea  
Old February 10th, 2006, 01:29 AM   #10
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

NBC's Studio 5 is such garbage. It's their own fault for building it so far off the street and managing to place their glazing in such a manner that it's virtually impossible to see in during the day. ABC and CBS are both making them look foolish with their street-level studios.
Old February 10th, 2006, 03:58 AM   #11
UrbanSophist

Likes (Received): 44

I really like this. And I like that State Street is returning to what it used to be. This, after-all, was the image of downtown Chicago for generations of Chicagoans.

Last edited by UrbanSophist; February 10th, 2006 at 04:03 AM.
UrbanSophist no está en línea  
Old February 10th, 2006, 06:54 AM   #12
danthediscoman

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond
NBC's Studio 5 is such garbage. It's their own fault for building it so far off the street and managing to place their glazing in such a manner that it's virtually impossible to see in during the day.
I would not be surprised if Fox and NBC come out with some new plans to enhance their current studios too. It seems ABC News headquarters in Times Square kind of set the bar about 4 or 5 years ago but ABC 7 looks to be better suited as far design when compared with CBS news future digs.
danthediscoman no está en línea  
Old February 10th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #13
lazar22b

whoa!

Those are really cool. I really wish i was in chicago to see those right now.
lazar22b no está en línea  
Old February 20th, 2006, 04:48 AM   #14
feworkr

The beautiful glasswork is by Trainor Glass Co. - way to go!! - Jim P. and Bob M. !! Looks great!
feworkr no está en línea  
Old February 20th, 2006, 07:15 AM   #15
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

190 North?

Hmm.. I noticed the address is 190 N. State. Is this the source of the name for the TV show, 190 North? I thought this property was bought recently for ABC7, but that show's been around for a few years.
ardecila no está en línea  
Old February 20th, 2006, 07:24 AM   #16
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Has anyone seen the promo that Channel 7 is using on t.v. about a radical new set up for March?

Obviously this is it.
edsg25 no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:01 PM   #17
hdtvtechno

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25
Has anyone seen the promo that Channel 7 is using on t.v. about a radical new set up for March?

Obviously this is it.
Yup

And guess what

They will be broadcasting not only from a new set, but also for the first time ever in Full HDTV along with a brand new traffic helicopter with HD

Almost done
Time to pack up and move in
Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:32 PM   #18
cubsfan

Is it going to be where only the set is in HD and the stories and interviews will be in 4:3 480i resolution
cubsfan no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2006, 04:35 AM   #19
UrbanSophist

Likes (Received): 44

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060404/cgtu062.html?.v=40

This is very exciting for State Street, IMO.
UrbanSophist no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2006, 04:49 AM   #20
spyguy
Expert

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...nfo&id=4053703

Jerry has a pretty good phone
spyguy no está en línea  

Closed Thread