daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > New York City

New York City Development News | WTC | Naked NY



Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 26th, 2005, 01:44 AM   #1
edsg25
BANNED
 
edsg25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,328
Likes (Received): 1

Couple of NYC sports geography questions

I have a couple of sports georgraphy questions I'm hoping some knowledgable New Yorkers can answer:

1. The Giants have always been the establishment's team in NYC, with the Jets having a more blue collar image. Or so it appears to me. If that is true, would there be any affect on the Giants' and Jets' fan base if the Jets do end up in that new west side Manhattan stadium? Would you think that the Jets would be viewed as NY's team, morse so than the Giants?

2. This one is tougher. You'd have to be older or a real MLB junkee to answer it:

How does the relationship the Yankees have with the Mets compare with the one the Yankees used to have with the Giants and Dodgers?

It would appear to me that Yankee dominance in the NYC area today is even greater than it was when the Yankees, Giants, and Dodgers were ending up in virtually every World Series.

When the Giants and Dodgers were in town, how was the market split? Brooklyn, of course, was Dodger country and I believe that would have been true for Quns and LI. How about the Giants and Yankees? Did geography figure into their fan base at all or did they split the rest of the city, Westchester, SI, NJ without the influence of geography?

How does that compare with today as to how the Yankees and Mets split up the whole metro area? Is it safe to say that geography is no where near as important as in Chicago with the North Side Cubs and South Side Sox?Is it also safe to say that NY is much more of an AL city today, compared to the era with three teams (two in the NL) where exciting pennant races made it more of an NL town?

I realized I asked a lot here. I would be curious to any part of this that anyone could answer. Thanks.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old February 26th, 2005, 08:50 PM   #2
Third of a kind
metrocard millionaire
 
Third of a kind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,263
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25
I have a couple of sports georgraphy questions I'm hoping some knowledgable New Yorkers can answer:

1. The Giants have always been the establishment's team in NYC, with the Jets having a more blue collar image. Or so it appears to me. If that is true, would there be any affect on the Giants' and Jets' fan base if the Jets do end up in that new west side Manhattan stadium? Would you think that the Jets would be viewed as NY's team, morse so than the Giants?

2. This one is tougher. You'd have to be older or a real MLB junkee to answer it:

How does the relationship the Yankees have with the Mets compare with the one the Yankees used to have with the Giants and Dodgers?

It would appear to me that Yankee dominance in the NYC area today is even greater than it was when the Yankees, Giants, and Dodgers were ending up in virtually every World Series.

When the Giants and Dodgers were in town, how was the market split? Brooklyn, of course, was Dodger country and I believe that would have been true for Quns and LI. How about the Giants and Yankees? Did geography figure into their fan base at all or did they split the rest of the city, Westchester, SI, NJ without the influence of geography?

How does that compare with today as to how the Yankees and Mets split up the whole metro area? Is it safe to say that geography is no where near as important as in Chicago with the North Side Cubs and South Side Sox?Is it also safe to say that NY is much more of an AL city today, compared to the era with three teams (two in the NL) where exciting pennant races made it more of an NL town?

I realized I asked a lot here. I would be curious to any part of this that anyone could answer. Thanks.
i'm not really a big mlb or nfl fan but I think I may be able to answer some of your question

1. I'd like to answer..but maybe i'll comeback in few cause i'm on a public computer

2..damn your going back to my grandma's time...as far as boros/counties I don't think its so specific...I didn't even know that about chicago...is that in relation to where the stadiums for the teams are placed in chicago??? if so i would say its a little similar here

but you are right yanks definitley do dominate shit out here
Third of a kind no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 01:25 AM   #3
asohn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 979
Likes (Received): 2

The Yankees dominate Manhattan and the Bronx. The Yankees in general are viewed as New York's team. Staten Island is a tossup i think, though you might find more Yankees fans. The Mets dominate Queens and Long Island. The Mets have a more suburban fan base, and are usually associated more with Long Island (because of where they play).

As far as outside of the City, Long Island is Mets territory. In NJ Westchester, your more likely to find Yankees fans, though nothing is set in stone. In NJ its basically a tossup.

The difference between the Mets and Yankees is that the Yankees play right in the middle of the city whereas the Mets play far out in Queens, on the edge of suburbia. You can't compare it to the Yankees and Giant, who played literaly across the river from each other, or the Dodgers who played in the heart of urban Brooklyn. The Mets are more of a Long Island team than a New York City team.

As far as Footbal goes -

The Giants have always been New York's team, and the Jets have always been the other team. You Giants played for years at Yankee Stadium , and the Jets were an expansion team at Shea Stadium. The same arguments i said above between the Yanks and Mets can basically be applied to the Giants and Jets.

I think though that in the 30+ years the Giants have been playing in NJ, and the 20+ years the Jets have, they have developed a much more New Jersey identity. Nowadays, they are much more New Jersey teams than New York teams. "New York" is only a name now.
asohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 04:37 AM   #4
jmancuso
make it so...
 
jmancuso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 6,756
Likes (Received): 37

when the giants play the jets at the meadowlands, if i'm not mistaken, the giants are the home team. anyways, both team suck. if you wanna see a real new york team, you gotta head up to buffalo.
__________________
10 years!
jmancuso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 03:11 PM   #5
edsg25
BANNED
 
edsg25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,328
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmancuso
when the giants play the jets at the meadowlands, if i'm not mistaken, the giants are the home team. anyways, both team suck. if you wanna see a real new york team, you gotta head up to buffalo.
actually the NFL schedules in a way that is irrelevant to fact they share a stadium. In years when the Jets are supposed to host the Giants, they do so in the Meadowlands the same way they would if the teams played in separate stadiums.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 10:43 PM   #6
gothamaniac
Registered User
 
gothamaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 208
Likes (Received): 1

couldn't have said it better myself...great answer


Quote:
Originally Posted by asohn
The Yankees dominate Manhattan and the Bronx. The Yankees in general are viewed as New York's team. Staten Island is a tossup i think, though you might find more Yankees fans. The Mets dominate Queens and Long Island. The Mets have a more suburban fan base, and are usually associated more with Long Island (because of where they play).

As far as outside of the City, Long Island is Mets territory. In NJ Westchester, your more likely to find Yankees fans, though nothing is set in stone. In NJ its basically a tossup.

The difference between the Mets and Yankees is that the Yankees play right in the middle of the city whereas the Mets play far out in Queens, on the edge of suburbia. You can't compare it to the Yankees and Giant, who played literaly across the river from each other, or the Dodgers who played in the heart of urban Brooklyn. The Mets are more of a Long Island team than a New York City team.

As far as Footbal goes -

The Giants have always been New York's team, and the Jets have always been the other team. You Giants played for years at Yankee Stadium , and the Jets were an expansion team at Shea Stadium. The same arguments i said above between the Yanks and Mets can basically be applied to the Giants and Jets.

I think though that in the 30+ years the Giants have been playing in NJ, and the 20+ years the Jets have, they have developed a much more New Jersey identity. Nowadays, they are much more New Jersey teams than New York teams. "New York" is only a name now.
gothamaniac no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu