daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 1st, 2015, 12:42 AM   #81
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2207

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Today I've heard a lawyer saying that the UK is considering to leave the Schengen area.
Stupid Lawyer that. The UK and Ireland are a separate common travel area to Shengen. They never joined Schengen and only have a land border with each other.
sponge_bob no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2015, 01:00 AM   #82
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Today I've heard a lawyer saying that the UK is considering to leave the Schengen area.
The UK already applies part of the Schengen agreement, just not the bit concerning abolishing border checks.

But yeah, if this continues, I cannot see Schengen surviving. Austria cannot afford more gruesome finds like that, and Hungary has quite clearly had enough. The only solution right now is that if Germany wants to accept them, then they should be placed onto German corridor trains at the H/SRB border and taken directly to Germany.
Eulanthe no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2015, 04:02 AM   #83
sponge_bob

Further North in the Schengen Zone an Army may be sent south to defend a border.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ainst-migrants

Quote:
“Of course I would wish for the EU to strengthen its borders, but I don’t see any real action,” Zeman told reporters in Prague castle on Monday. “Therefore I believe the Czech Republic should take of its borders alone and expel illegal immigrants from the borders, including with the use of the army.”
Not listening to Angela in Prague it seems. I don't think the president has much power in the circumstances either.

The French blew hot cold hot cold hot (I think) as well. What were they saying about Hungary the day before again???

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...nomic-migrants

Quote:
“Schengen doesn’t just mean eliminating internal borders, it also means strengthening external borders,” Valls said.

Last edited by sponge_bob; September 1st, 2015 at 04:08 AM.
Old September 1st, 2015, 09:11 AM   #84
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Schengen is history.

Accordint to the treaty the countries that have external borders (e.g. Hungary) must strengthen them and guard them intensified. And what can we hear and read now? Germany and France criticize the Hungarian government for doing it and aks the government to let every one through, let every one come in the Schengen area.
Actually those mighty nations call Hungary not to respect the Schengen treaty.

nbcee liked this post
Attus no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2015, 11:06 AM   #85
sponge_bob

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/ne...0R130C20150901

Budapest. Main Train Station now shut.
Old September 1st, 2015, 11:52 AM   #86
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12053

Live from Budapest Main Station:

http://www.atv.hu/elo-adas
Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2015, 12:49 PM   #87
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Schengen is history.

Accordint to the treaty the countries that have external borders (e.g. Hungary) must strengthen them and guard them intensified. And what can we hear and read now? Germany and France criticize the Hungarian government for doing it and aks the government to let every one through, let every one come in the Schengen area.
Actually those mighty nations call Hungary not to respect the Schengen treaty.
This happens because the current Hungarian government is anti-europeist, so anything it will do, it has necessarily to be wrong for EU strong powers (D and F firstly).
ďThe transponderís personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the carís billĒ - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Attus liked this post
italystf no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2015, 03:49 PM   #88
sponge_bob

Quote:
This happens because the current Hungarian government is anti-europeist, so anything it will do, it has necessarily to be wrong for EU strong powers .
And the same EU powers have no issues with giving Bulgaria Money ....to build a BORDER FENCE among other things. Bulgaria has a border around 130km long with Turkey of which 30km is fenced. They plan on fencing the other 100km in future.

http://www.novinite.com/articles/170...ion+Management

Quote:
Bulgaria will receive about EUR 40.4m under the ISF Borders instrument to improve the surveillance and control of its borders - See more at: http://www.novinite.com/articles/170....lCS8afvz.dpuf
It is a double standard and the Hungarians are right to be annoyed at being singled out by the French in particular.
Old September 1st, 2015, 07:14 PM   #89
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/ne...0R130C20150901

Budapest. Main Train Station now shut.
Schengen really is in trouble. Germany is behaving incredibly irresponsibly by making it clear that asylum will be given to anyone that turns up, and it wouldn't shock me if Hungary officially suspends Schengen in the coming days.

But I cannot see how Schengen can survive now that it's clear that Germany and France are openly encouraging people to make illegal border crossings.

flierfy liked this post
Eulanthe no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2015, 08:09 PM   #90
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Time for Rom‚nia and Bulgaria to submit another joint formal request to join Schengen.
Old September 1st, 2015, 08:19 PM   #91
marmurr1916

Likes (Received): 104

We've been here before - Sarkozy was fed up with Italy sending migrants and temporarily introduced controls on the Franco-Italian border and threatened to leave Schengen.

Schengen will survive and thrive because most countries that are part of it see its advantages - who wants to go back to the days of permanent queues of trucks at borders between countries that are both in the EU?

Once the headless chicken response (which seems to be the default position of many politicians to any situation they think might cost them votes) calms down, the Schengen countries will work something out that everyone can live with even if no country is absolutely delighted with the result.

It's the way the EU works - it's how the euro crisis was dealt with and it's how this crisis will be dealt with.

So calm the f*ck down motherf*ckers and unbunch your panties.

Proterra liked this post
marmurr1916 no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2015, 01:48 AM   #92
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Schengen agreement is not responsible for the disappearence of truck queues. That's because of abolishing customs! Just have a look at border SLO - HR: HR is not yet in Schengen area and there are no truck queues.
stickedy no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2015, 01:52 AM   #93
sponge_bob

Customs is abolished SLO-HR, or should be since Croatia recently joined the EU. Schengen is not a customs agreement but an Interior Ministry agreement.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 12:02 PM   #94
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19297

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmurr1916 View Post
It's the way the EU works - it's how the euro crisis was dealt with and it's how this crisis will be dealt with.

So calm the f*ck down motherf*ckers and unbunch your panties.
We'll see, we'll see.

Just because something worked in the past doesn't mean it will always work...
EU institutions and its bureaucracy as we now it from the last few decades (less than effective at the best of times to say the least) are under severe strain.

Oh, one more thing.
Nobody "dealt" with the Euro crisis. If you think so you are deluded. It is just postponed for a few months/weeks, max a year or two
geogregor no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2015, 02:55 PM   #95
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Schengen recoil could turn EU travel back 20 years

Quote:
The border-free Schengen Area guarantees free movement for more than 400 million EU citizens, and many non-EU nationals legally in the EU, but nationalists across Europe blame Schengen for the ease with which many migrants have travelled from southern to northern Europe.

To bolster security, in 2004 the Council of EU governments created the European Agency Frontex to oversee and coordinate between the various national external border managements. Its budget for 2015, however, comes to just 114 million euros, which does not stretch very far in an emergency.

The Schengen agreement has been never suspended over migration, just for major sport events and international meetings or as a precaution against terrorist attacks. But Germany warns that it could be, if refugees are not allocated fairly among all the EU states.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:28 PM   #96
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Italy is ready to impose identification checks at Brennero on the border with Austria after receiving a request from Germany for help in easing the flow of migrants into Bavaria

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2015, 08:05 PM   #97
marmurr1916

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
We'll see, we'll see.

Just because something worked in the past doesn't mean it will always work...
EU institutions and its bureaucracy as we now it from the last few decades (less than effective at the best of times to say the least) are under severe strain.
I keep hearing how bad the EU is. I keep seeing more and more countries joining and applying to join. I keep seeing more and more people from outside the EU wanting to come and live in the EU.

I keep hearing the EU is falling apart. I keep seeing the EU become ever more integrated.

Forgive me if I choose to accept the reality rather than the commentary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Oh, one more thing.
Nobody "dealt" with the Euro crisis. If you think so you are deluded. It is just postponed for a few months/weeks, max a year or two
Yeah, whatever Columbo. From 2008 to beyond 2010 we were being told that the eurozone was going to break up any day. Not only has it survived, but it has expanded, hasn't lost any members and is now more integrated (e.g. fiscal treaty) than it ever was before.

Here's a graphic which shows the total numbers of asylum applications across the EU and other Schengen countries so far this year:

The total up to the end of July was 218,000.

Even if that number reaches 500,000 by the end of the year it will still only represent about 0.1% (1 in 1,000) of the population of the EU.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 08:09 PM   #98
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

I was kind of wondering why infographics of EU asylum claims also featured some Mercedes parts then I looked on the BBC site LOL

The guy should have just said "vroom vroom" or something when they caught him

Euro can be strong but has a big problem in Greece. I don't think there is any real solution except expulsion, if Schaeuble gives up - it is finished. But it would survive stronger after.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 08:36 PM   #99
marmurr1916

Another infographic, asylum applications per 1,000 inhabitants within the EU:

Sweden has by far the largest number as a share of its population, followed in second place by Hungary.

Surel liked this post
Old September 2nd, 2015, 08:55 PM   #100
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

It's clear Sweden should get most refugees... if you are fleeing chaos what better than culturally and characteristically calm and peaceful Sverige (well since they returned from vacation in Poland )

Hungary is the one that is surprising, LOL except of course... geographical realities

Closed Thread