daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2005, 07:02 PM   #1
Wicky

Likes (Received): 1

Bojnice castle

Bojnice Castle belongs to the most beautiful and the most visited castles in Central Europe. It is a part of Bojnice town, which itself is a spa resort.

The castle is towering at the foot of Strazov uplands on a travertine hill above the town Bojnice. It is one of the oldest and the most important castles in Slovakia. The first written note of its existence comes back to 1113, it was found in a document of Zobor abbey. Bojnice Castle is a national culture heritage and a residence of museum. There are culture and social events held in the area of the castle, e.g. concerts of classical music in Hunady's hall, performance of historical fencing group, wedding ceremonies in Golden hall. Bojnice Castle is the place where a traditional festival of ghosts and haunting takes place. The area is attractive for its large park with a famous historical King's Matej Korvin's lime tree. A legend says that Matus Cak Trenciansky seeded the tree in1301. The lime tree grew up into a magnificent tree. In its best time it had diameter approx. 36 metres, main branches were reaching 28 metres and its perimeter was 12 metres. There used to be all kinds of picnics organised under this tree. King Matej Korvin (1458 - 1490), famous for the fact he loved staying in Bojnice, used to hold big feasts and meetings under the lime tree. There is an interesting place at the castle hill - a cave with diameter of 22 metres and height of 6 metres. It is located 26 metres under the level of the 4th courtyard in a travertine hill on which the whole castle stands. There are 2 lakes in the cave. They are probably a part of a cave system continuing in further space. Some archaeological findings in the cave prove the settlement of the castle hill already in the Old Stone Age.

Wicky no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2005, 07:49 PM   #2
Ozcan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

nothing special
Ozcan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2005, 10:19 PM   #3
bubach_hlubach
hlubach bubach

Likes (Received): 161

I think it does look very special and well preserved too

'Cause I can't go on (Will you still love me?)
No, I can't go on (Just say you love me)
bubach_hlubach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 12:30 AM   #4
Wicky

Likes (Received): 1

Thanks, bubach hlubach. And I forgot to mention, that the castle was rebuilt according to the muster of French castles at the end of 19th century. More pictures from Bojnice castle:

Wicky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 12:33 AM   #5
Allan
Strength and Honour

Likes (Received): 6

I should admit, it is a beautiful architecture.

"The greatest way to live with honour in this world is to be what we pretend to be." (Socrates)
Allan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 04:31 AM   #6
SinCity
Streetwalker

Likes (Received): 101

This is a very special castle and it stands spectacular. Thanks Wicky!
SinCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 12:04 PM   #7
Arpels
Αλέξανδρος

Likes (Received): 378

tres jolie!!
Arpels no está en línea   Reply With Quote