daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 26th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #181
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
Why dident they take peices from the Old Terre Haute house, and put them in the Mayflower room?(interior work).
If they really wanted to respect the Old Terre Haute house, they wouldent have torn it down in the first place!
I don't know - several pieces of the hotel have been saved; the old Mayflower Mural from the original Mayflower Room was salvaged, but in such bad shape (and so large) that it probably could not be placed in the new, smaller meeting rooms. The new hotel doesn't have a ballroom, or any other large meeting rooms, I don't believe.

The more I think about it, this was probably the only option. Terre Haute is not a growing city, and the multitude of problems with the old building - especially ADA requirements, would have made renovation too expensive. If the renovated hotel could have charged $250 a night, maybe it would have worked, but that is far outside the means of the local market. I'm glad there is activity there again, and look forward to staying in the hotel when I visit home.
cjfjapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2007, 04:45 AM   #182
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Well, hopefully peices salvaged can be saved, and as the economy improves, restoration of local landmarks will be more reasonable.
Old September 27th, 2007, 02:35 AM   #183
borninfarrington_g

Likes (Received): 0

Confirmed Saves...

Confirmed Saves...

1 Baldwin Grand Piano
1 Chickering Baby Grand Piano
1 Marble Registration Counter (in about 20 broken pieces)
1 of the 2 Lobby Chandeliers (smashed nearly beyond recognition)
10 Tubs and 2 Bags of registration cards from the 1960’s
2-3 boxes of place mats
Several bags of rotten Indy 500 lunch boxes
1 Barbershop base minus the seat
Several misc pieces of marble from the lobby
1 heavy wood table top (from the Marine Room?)
1 crate of packaged THH napkins
5 (of the original 6) entry beacon lamps
Approx. 100 aluminum “open top” banquet meal stackers
1 Wooden Counter -w- stainless steel inlaid “Spanish Girl Dancers” from the ladies room
1 THH trash can
2 Large Aluminum Serving Platters
1 or 2 safes
6 columns with tops and bases
the words "Terre Havte Hovse" and the roman numerals in limestone blocks
several pieces of the limestone railing from the top
all the limestone balls from the top
several large log books
some misc cheap furniture
oh...and the mural and the copper bar

That’s it for the "official" list.

There are many other items that made their way out through friends and business acquaintences. Nothing (I've heard) that is worth a s__t.
borninfarrington_g no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 03:00 AM   #184
cjfjapan

While I think it's great that WTHI covers downtown as well as it does, this is a rather negative spin on a positive story.

Mr. Perry's website detailing the renovation of 1125 Wabash is here:
1125wabash.com

Downtown Terre Haute Struggling With Vacancy

By Liz Nichols (www.wthitv.com)

Downtown Terre Haute has struggled with vacant buildings

Businesses moving out of downtown areas are a trend that many cities face, but is urban life making a come-back?

One local man thinks so and how he hopes his idea will catch on.

Jeff Perry and his wife bought 1125 Wabash Avenue back in 2003. For over three years now, they have put time and money in spiffing up the building.

Originally built in 1896, this now modern-looking building was definitely a fixer-upper.

"Yes, we've put a lot of money into it, but still, on a dollar-wise per square foot, it's a lot cheaper than new construction," said Jeff Perry.

It's located on a main drag through downtown Terre Hatue. It should be a prime piece of real estate. And Jeff hopes he's gotten in on the ground floor of a good idea.

"It's been expensive, but what you have now is a really nice building that we bought at the right price."

Now Jeff's looking for someone to rent the space. So far, he hasn't had any takers. But Jeff is optimistic.

"When you're the first one one, sometimes it takes awhile to find a tenant.Jeff's situation just shows the battle downtown Terre Haute faces.

The interstate, the mall and rail-road crossings are just some of the reasons businesses are spreading out. Some see a benefit in getting some leg room, outside of downtown.

So now, the battle is getting urban life to make a come back.

Jeremy Weir, executive Director of the Vigo County Area Planning Comission, says Jeff has the right idea.

"We have a lot of these structures that have a lot of character to them. If we can bring that character out and provide a showplace or use for it, that's added value," says Weir.

"Added value" for downtown, and Jeff's hoping it will be "added value" in his pocket. And maybe Jeff's idea will catch on and more empty buildings will soon make a change for the better.

If you are interested in Jeff's Building.. you can give him a call at 812-878-1007.
Old September 27th, 2007, 04:28 AM   #185
borninfarrington_g

Great Work!

He has made a great new contribution to the downtown. I think it is just taking a little while for the prosperity to "spread eastward". When it does, he will be in a great position to rent or even sell! Great job Mr. Perry!! Anxious to see his next project!
Old September 29th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #186
borninfarrington_g

Historical Evening...

Well, I don't know if anyone noticed, or if many people care, but tonight was a historic night at 7th and Wabash! Tonight was the first night in 37 years that a party was held in a fully functional hotel at the historic "Crossroads of America". I would go further and say "in a fully functional hotel bearing the name (or subtitle) Terre Haute House", but I'm still not 100% convinced that the Hilton Corporation is endorsing that nickname. I have a feeling that we may never see that one in writing.

I don't know many details; just that it was a private party that had been quietly advertised for the past few weeks. I am interested to see if there is anything about it on the 11:00pm news. Pretty significant, I think. Anyone agree? I can't wait to see the inside...I hear that it is beautiful! From what you can see through the windows, I believe it.
Old September 29th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #187
cjfjapan

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninfarrington_g View Post
Well, I don't know if anyone noticed, or if many people care, but tonight was a historic night at 7th and Wabash! Tonight was the first night in 37 years that a party was held in a fully functional hotel at the historic "Crossroads of America". I would go further and say "in a fully functional hotel bearing the name (or subtitle) Terre Haute House", but I'm still not 100% convinced that the Hilton Corporation is endorsing that nickname. I have a feeling that we may never see that one in writing.

I don't know many details; just that it was a private party that had been quietly advertised for the past few weeks. I am interested to see if there is anything about it on the 11:00pm news. Pretty significant, I think. Anyone agree? I can't wait to see the inside...I hear that it is beautiful! From what you can see through the windows, I believe it.
A photo of the hotel from two days ago, from www.terrehautehouse.net

The first drawings of the hotel:

The site a few months ago:

Hope terrehautehouse.net doens't mind us linking to his pictures here - I don't much care for the lighting scheme, but I'm really glad to see this open, and Im confident it will be a success. The trick is to continue to refer to it as the The Terre Haute House Hilton!
Old September 29th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #188
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

This is off topic, but does Terre Haute still have an issue with the smell?
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #189
borninfarrington_g

morning rambles....

cjfjapan: That's a cool photo...looks like a ship in the harbor! (Our ship has come in!) I like the lighting but agree it could be better. The historic corner is not bright enough. Someone said the carport is the main entrance (!). I wonder when the signage is going to arrive. Right now you have no way of knowing what the building is unless you're a Hautian. (Some Hautians still have no idea the old hotel is gone; they haven't left their houses in years...just kidding)

naptown boy: The smell is better; the paper mill has closed or is in the process of closing. Hate to lose some jobs locally, but love waking up to no smells! We'll bring in more jobs without the smell; of this I am convinced. Now we just need a modern waste water treatment plant and some new sewers and we'll be good to go. I hear that the Romans have invented this new-fangled thing called an aquaduct...lol.

Everybody: Please don't mistake my early morning wit and sarcasm! I love this town, the people, and all the potential we have. On a side note, I was kind of hoping that Monday's press conference would be the announcement of a new stadium next to ISU; not another sacrificial coach firing. But, that's a whole 'nother topic. Everyone have a good day!
Old September 29th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #190
cjfjapan

Quote:
cjfjapan: That's a cool photo...looks like a ship in the harbor! (Our ship has come in!) I like the lighting but agree it could be better. The historic corner is not bright enough. Someone said the carport is the main entrance (!). I wonder when the signage is going to arrive. Right now you have no way of knowing what the building is unless you're a Hautian. (Some Hautians still have no idea the old hotel is gone; they haven't left their houses in years...just kidding)

naptown boy: The smell is better; the paper mill has closed or is in the process of closing. Hate to lose some jobs locally, but love waking up to no smells! We'll bring in more jobs without the smell; of this I am convinced. Now we just need a modern waste water treatment plant and some new sewers and we'll be good to go. I hear that the Romans have invented this new-fangled thing called an aquaduct...lol.

Everybody: Please don't mistake my early morning wit and sarcasm! I love this town, the people, and all the potential we have. On a side note, I was kind of hoping that Monday's press conference would be the announcement of a new stadium next to ISU; not another sacrificial coach firing. But, that's a whole 'nother topic. Everyone have a good day!
I think you're right about the smell - the creosote plant is closing, and the mayor is pushing for a major investment in the sewage system - long,long overdue. Getting rid of the smell will be a BIG improvement for the city - I would never consider living in Farrington Grove because of that stench. It pollutes the best part of TH.

I've heard through the grapevine about a new ISU football stadium for the area between the CSX trax and 13th street north of Wabash - the area that ISU has bought up over the past few years. Are there actual plans? That would be a GREAT coup for downtown, and the city. Another great place for it would be between 3rd and 1st street between the rr trax and the courthouse area - the old "red light district" - and along the river...

Old September 29th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #191
borninfarrington_g

stadium

I have not heard anything official; but I think it is being discussed behind closed doors...too many people talking about it to not have some substance, I think. It would be great for the downtown. And I seem to remember reading that the tif district has been extended to 14th; and you have Sonka's, Ambrosini's and the police station close by, and a neighborhood that might just see a drop in homicides if there is some development...just some thoughts. Plus Thompson-Thrift owns some land there...now can they work a deal with Sycamore Engineering and the Electrical supply place? ooh, and Atterson Tire (storage warehouse) the Legion? The tank could stay and be joined by the canon from Memorial Stadium. (Just in case we're attacked for trying to make the city better!) Let's see...that just leaves Glenn Thompson Properties...I think he would sell if the price was right. He already started scrapping out the windows on his vacant chuch. Did they demo that yet? By the way, a little further east, they demoed the old Sandison School at 19th and Chestnut. Had anyone else noticed that?
Old September 30th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #192
borninfarrington_g

downtown tonight

Went to the Saratoga tonight with the family. Great food and lots of historic photos and memorabilia on the walls. Not much else going on.
Old September 30th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #193
cjfjapan

Quote:
I have not heard anything official; but I think it is being discussed behind closed doors...too many people talking about it to not have some substance, I think. It would be great for the downtown. And I seem to remember reading that the tif district has been extended to 14th; and you have Sonka's, Ambrosini's and the police station close by, and a neighborhood that might just see a drop in homicides if there is some development...just some thoughts. Plus Thompson-Thrift owns some land there...now can they work a deal with Sycamore Engineering and the Electrical supply place? ooh, and Atterson Tire (storage warehouse) the Legion? The tank could stay and be joined by the canon from Memorial Stadium. (Just in case we're attacked for trying to make the city better!) Let's see...that just leaves Glenn Thompson Properties...I think he would sell if the price was right. He already started scrapping out the windows on his vacant chuch. Did they demo that yet? By the way, a little further east, they demoed the old Sandison School at 19th and Chestnut. Had anyone else noticed that?
Im sad to hear about the sandison school - I had daydreams of turning that into an enormous art space one day. If ISU can get the money together, this would be a very good investment - the university looks better every year, and bringing the stadium closer to campus, and encouraging investment on the east end would ring the campus with improved spaces. Private investors have done an admirable job of reforming the north end, the city is working well on downtown so far, just leaving the east end (and perhaps some day the riverside district?) for some major rejuvenation. imagine one day the area between ISU and the river as the site of a tech park?
Old October 2nd, 2007, 03:27 AM   #194
cjfjapan

Sorry you're losing your jobs, ladies and gents, but I'm glad to see this plant go. Hope you find good jobs again soon.

International Paper Employees Prepare for the Next Step

By Jenna Emenhiser

By Friday, close to 200 workers in Terre Haute will be un-employed.

After more than 100 years in business, Terre Haute's paper mill, International Paper, shut down production Sunday.

By the end of the week, the production division will be shut down for good.

For 13 years Dave Bolin worked at International Paper, but now he has just 4 days left.

"Being without a job's something new to me," Bolin said.

In May, International Paper told employees the factory would be shutting down, and the jobs moving overseas.

"About 180 employees busting their butt inside the paper mill for how ever many years, now have to go out and find something new," Bolin said.

After years of pumping out paper products some of the employees are now headed back to the classroom to learn new skills to help them in the workforce.

They will be walking through the door of Work One and into a government sponsored re-training program.

"A door shutting is maybe another door opening and I think through this program they can find some success and try to find another line of work," said Max Johnson with Work One.

Employees like Dave say they are anxious about going back to school but excited about the opportunity.

"I guess for a lot of us, the paper mill is all we know and this is opening a new door for us," said Bolin.

So far, about 90 International Paper employees have signed up for the re-training program.

Another orientation meeting is scheduled for next week.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 04:08 AM   #195
borninfarrington_g

well, there's the answer...

I hear that the new hotel has inspections tomorrow and should still open Thursday. There were numerous vehicles there today. They must be chasing down all those little nicks and scratches prior to inspection. We cruised the new sidewalk out front and got a close up look through the windows. I think we saw the head chef working at his computer in the restaurant. The lobby is spectacular and a worker had just put up the numbers "700" on the corner entry awning. Some of the landscaping and street lights aren't done. Oddly enough there still is no HILTON GARDEN INN signage to be found anywhere. I wonder if they have to pass inspection first (?) I don't know if I mentioned this already, but Thompson-Thrift tried valiantly to get the Terre Havte Hovse limstone pieces incorporated into the building, or even the parking area, and...were shot down by the hotel's corporate office. I admire the fact that T-T they tried. Despite what all the nay-sayers and conspiracy theorists have to say, those guys really do have a big heart for the downtown.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 05:14 PM   #196
borninfarrington_g

oops...

the address on the doorway is "750"; not "700"--my bad.
Old October 4th, 2007, 02:15 AM   #197
borninfarrington_g

new site?

Here's a new Terre Haute site I wasn't aware of. I think all the photos are of Dennis Trucking projects. Maybe it's one of their employees. If so, it's great to see people who still take pride in their work.

Link: http://www.thcurbsandsidewalks.org
Old October 7th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #198
borninfarrington_g

Looks like the hotel opened!

...you can see interior pics at http://www.terrehautehouse.net

Looks real nice; I hope to get down there today and see it for myself!
Old October 7th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #199
cjfjapan

Ironically, I drove by the hotel yesterday at 3:30, and didn't go in - I guess I've seen so many pictures of it, the opening has been a little anticlimactic! As sad as it is to have a smaller, less historic hotel there, it is very important to have a public space reopen at the corner. According to terrehautehouse.net, the hotel restaurant was open until 11PM - another good sign. I really hope the hotel succeeds, and that they build out to 8th street before too long. Downtown TH is looking better than it has in many, many years.
Old October 9th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #200
cjfjapan

Pleasant...and noisy...like a city.

Published: October 09, 2007 12:17 am

Patrons say Hilton Garden Inn visit during its grand opening is ‘pleasant’

By Howard Greninger
The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — Joe Williams remembers the former nine-story Terre Haute House at Seventh Street and Wabash Avenue while he was growing up in Terre Haute, and on Monday, he ate lunch with friends at its replacement, the six-story Hilton Garden Inn.

Williams, 71, and friend Terry Price, 53, met longtime friend Dorothy Clark, 79, for lunch at the hotel’s Great American Grill. The two men had stayed at the hotel on Saturday and Sunday.

“We stayed here for a reunion. We usually stayed toward [Interstate] 70. It worked out real well. They went out of their way to make our visit pleasant. The food has been great,” Williams said.

Williams stayed on the sixth floor.

“The view was great, but the noise was terrible. You know how they cruise on Saturday night. I figured being up six floors you couldn’t hear that, but you could,” he said.

Williams now lives in Clarksville. He lived in Terre Haute from age 10 to 23. He still remembers the former Terre Haute House.

“I was sorry to see it go. I think they have done a good job on this corner; it is just too bad that Terre Haute didn’t start 40 years ago preserving history,” Williams said.

Dave, Connie and Julie Schimmel were driving by the hotel and saw people eating lunch.

They decided to try out the hotel’s new restaurant Monday. The hotel opened for business Friday.

“It is beautiful,” Connie Schimmel said. “It is like being in a bigger city.”

Terre Haute attorney Eric Abel, also eating at the hotel’s restaurant, said “it is long overdue. I am very impressed with it. I intend to have out-of-town family stay here if our house gets too filled up.”

The restaurant did well during the hotel’s opening weekend, said Linda Poore, a regional manager for Dora Hospitality Corp., the Fishers-based company that owns the downtown hotel.

“We felt that we had a nice restaurant business and people came in locally for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The guests that stayed with us, we got some very favorable feedback,” Poore said.

“The occupancy was not overwhelming, less than 50 percent. It is not unusual because the reservation system was not open until Friday,” Poore said “Online, reservations start on Nov. 1. That was done because it is not unusual for hotels to have delays on opening dates, so there was a little cushion put in there by Hilton,” Poore said.

“Not that they anticipated us opening late, but you never know what can go wrong in the last minute. For us to have accepted reservations and maybe not honor them, would have sent the wrong message,” Poore said.

People can call for reservations at (812) 234-8900 or book online at www.stayhgi.com; however, reservations online are for rooms starting Nov. 1. Reservations prior to that must be made by calling the hotel directly.

Poore said the hotel had a waiting list; staff have begun calling back some groups to tell them the hotel is available. “We’ve made a lot of October reservations. We are pretty pleased where we stand right now. We are waiting for a couple of cross-country teams to call back, but we are confident that we are sold out for the cross-country preliminaries” on Oct. 12 and 13, Poore said.

The hotel also has made reservations for homecoming for Indiana State University on Oct. 20.

The hotel’s first floor includes an indoor pool, hot tub and fitness room and a small bar and restaurant. The restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Hours for breakfast are 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. Monday through Friday, and 6:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday; from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. everyday for lunch; and 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. everyday for dinner.

Howard Greninger can be reached at (812) 231-4204 or [email protected].