daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 11th, 2015, 05:01 AM   #1
sbarn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC & Bay Area
Posts: 1,222
Likes (Received): 991

NEW YORK | 666 5th Avenue | 427m | 1400ft | 100 fl | Pro

666 Fifth Ave. may be transformed into a slender tower
September 10, 2015
By Amanda Fung



Quote:
The office tower at 666 Fifth Ave. may be turned into a mall, hotel and residential tower.

The Pritzker Prize-winning architect Zaha Hadid has already prepared a plan that would restack 666 Fifth Ave. into a slender, super-tall hotel and residential tower above a vertical retail podium. Vornado controls the property's retail condominium, which it bought from Mr. Kushner, Carlyle and Crown Acquisitions three years ago for $710 million.
Sounds exciting! Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.
__________________

Last edited by desertpunk; December 30th, 2015 at 04:22 AM.
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2015, 05:18 AM   #2
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,479

This is one of the first International Style skyscrapers in NY, built almost 60 years ago, and its facade is actually pretty unique. What a waste



It's completely ridiculous to demolish skyscrapers like this when there are still dilapidated lowrises to build on.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 05:25 AM   #3
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx
 
Hudson11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Empire State
Posts: 9,510
Likes (Received): 22489

Quote:
The office tower at 666 Fifth Ave. may be turned into a mall, hotel and residential tower. Jared Kushner and Steve Roth's Vornado Realty Trust is mulling the repositioning of the 41-story, 1957-era building, according to the New York Post.

The Pritzker Prize-winning architect Zaha Hadid has already prepared a plan that would restack 666 Fifth Ave. into a slender, super-tall hotel and residential tower above a vertical retail podium. Vornado controls the property's retail condominium, which it bought from Mr. Kushner, Carlyle and Crown Acquisitions three years ago for $710 million.
sounds like a 425 Park Avenue-esque plan. I wouldn't be surprised if they only renovated it
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 05:36 AM   #4
Ghostface79
Registered User
 
Ghostface79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,536
Likes (Received): 4604

Saw this earlier in the Post and my jaw dropped. Actually the Post article says it should be somewhere around 1400 ft, and designed by Zaha Hadid of all people.
Just when you thought things couldn't get crazier in the city.
This one is clearly in the mix as one of the most exciting new projects in the city along with 80 South st, the Park Lane and the "Hudson Spire".
__________________

citybooster liked this post

Last edited by Ghostface79; September 11th, 2015 at 05:54 AM.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 05:47 AM   #5
sbarn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC & Bay Area
Posts: 1,222
Likes (Received): 991

Here is the quote from the Post:

Quote:
Real estate heavyweights Steve Roth and Jared Kushner are mulling a plan to reposition the 1957-era aluminum-clad 666 Fifth Ave. office tower into a 1,400-foot vertical mall, hotel and residential tower.
__________________

Hudson11 liked this post
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 07:34 AM   #6
scalziand
Naugatuckian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Naugatuck, CT
Posts: 455
Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
It's completely ridiculous to demolish skyscrapers like this when there are still dilapidated lowrises to build on.
It's also a bit ridiculous to waste such a huge through block site on residential construction.
scalziand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 08:05 AM   #7
JohnDee
Registered User
 
JohnDee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Any great city
Posts: 378
Likes (Received): 242

This tower will be totally transformed by the amazing Hadid. Whether they keep part of the tower or not, the whole thing will look completely different and 5th avenue will benefit. The street is in need of a pick me up.
__________________

WR HEARST liked this post

Last edited by JohnDee; September 11th, 2015 at 08:18 AM.
JohnDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 05:17 PM   #8
Rufus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 142
Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDee View Post
This tower will be totally transformed by the amazing Hadid. Whether they keep part of the tower or not, the whole thing will look completely different and 5th avenue will benefit. The street is in need of a pick me up.

I don't post on here often, but this comment is outrageous. 5th Ave is still just as vibrant, if not more vibrant and packed by the floods of tourists who consider it to be akin to one of their homogenous luxury malls back home, wherever that may be. It is an increasingly, frighteningly assessment that one of the world's most expensive streets is in need of a "pick-me-up" because it happens to contain a diverse array of architecture.

Not to mention, this building is a beautiful building. As mentioned earlier, it was designed at the onset of the International Style, and the facade is glorious. Sure it may be antiquated on the interior, but a renovation should be required. Instead, we have greedy real estate pigs who consider destroying this building in favor of a sleek residential, hotel tower to be filled by oligarchs willing to use it as a money pit. Plus, as much as I love what Hadid has done, it comes with an extreme price tag. Like Gehry, Hadid's designs are great on paper, but in practice, they continue this sterilization that is so adored by the wealthy who fear of rubbing shoulders with us common folk. Look at what happened in Tokyo with the Olympic Stadium to see what reaction her designs get from the people who actually have to live around them.

I don't mean to call you out specifically JohnDee, but I just get this feeling that a lot of people on this site refuse to recognize the power of diverse architecture in all shapes and sizes. Instead we clamor for 1,400 Ft. towers without recognizing what happens on the inside of them. Pretty soon some people on here will be calling for the destruction of Hell's Kitchen for the sake of another Hudson Yards.

This is one development I am not for. Ok...rant over.
__________________

57th&1st, bodegavendetta liked this post
Rufus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 07:51 PM   #9
CityGuy87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 135
Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I don't post on here often, but this comment is outrageous. 5th Ave is still just as vibrant, if not more vibrant and packed by the floods of tourists who consider it to be akin to one of their homogenous luxury malls back home, wherever that may be. It is an increasingly, frighteningly assessment that one of the world's most expensive streets is in need of a "pick-me-up" because it happens to contain a diverse array of architecture.

Not to mention, this building is a beautiful building. As mentioned earlier, it was designed at the onset of the International Style, and the facade is glorious. Sure it may be antiquated on the interior, but a renovation should be required. Instead, we have greedy real estate pigs who consider destroying this building in favor of a sleek residential, hotel tower to be filled by oligarchs willing to use it as a money pit. Plus, as much as I love what Hadid has done, it comes with an extreme price tag. Like Gehry, Hadid's designs are great on paper, but in practice, they continue this sterilization that is so adored by the wealthy who fear of rubbing shoulders with us common folk. Look at what happened in Tokyo with the Olympic Stadium to see what reaction her designs get from the people who actually have to live around them.

I don't mean to call you out specifically JohnDee, but I just get this feeling that a lot of people on this site refuse to recognize the power of diverse architecture in all shapes and sizes. Instead we clamor for 1,400 Ft. towers without recognizing what happens on the inside of them. Pretty soon some people on here will be calling for the destruction of Hell's Kitchen for the sake of another Hudson Yards.

This is one development I am not for. Ok...rant over.
Personally, I'd love to see Hell's Kitchen be redeveloped, I've always wanted to see towers rise west of Times Square which would greatly balance out the Midtown skyline but that's probably not gonna happen until there's nowhere left on the island to develop.
CityGuy87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 08:03 PM   #10
MarshallKnight
Registered User
 
MarshallKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: From the Bay to L.A.
Posts: 2,339
Likes (Received): 3585

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
This is one of the first International Style skyscrapers in NY, built almost 60 years ago, and its facade is actually pretty unique. What a waste
Yeah, I would be bummed to see this one go. Even a 425-style conversion would mean losing most of what makes the existing building an exemplar of that era.

One has to wonder if it would be possible to build a supertall "addition," a larger-scale version of what's happening in historic lowrise neighborhoods. Like a bigger Hearst Tower. I guess you'd probably wind up gutting a lot of the interiors, but since those would have to be renovated anyway, it could be a good way to preserve the original exterior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
Saw this earlier in the Post and my jaw dropped. Actually the Post article says it should be somewhere around 1400 ft, and designed by Zaha Hadid of all people.
I'm hesitant about a Hadid supertall in the wake of her truly hideous tower in Miami, although I did like her 425 Park proposal.

What I really can't understand is how this tower could be 1400 ft., but Tower Verre, on the same block across the street, got capped at 1050. Does one side of the street have a height limit and the other one not?
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 08:08 PM   #11
generalscarr
Registered User
 
generalscarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 333
Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDee View Post
This tower will be totally transformed by the amazing Hadid. Whether they keep part of the tower or not, the whole thing will look completely different and 5th avenue will benefit. The street is in need of a pick me up.
I like some of Zaha's lowrises a lot but every skyscraper I have seen from her so far was hideous. Including the uc Miami one and the earlier proposal for 425 Park Avenue. I'm not sure Midtown needs a supertall that looks like a designer hair dryer...

Last edited by generalscarr; September 12th, 2015 at 01:46 AM.
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 10:36 PM   #12
yankeesfan1000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,235
Likes (Received): 560

It's insane that the jurisdiction of East Midtown Rezoning stops literally across the street from this building. I don't want to see this building go, but if it has to, I would much rather see a new office building, which requires a massive base which this has, as opposed to a tall skinny residential building.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 02:39 AM   #13
godgame
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 260
Likes (Received): 650

I guess nyc wants bad architecture now, with wtc2 and now a zaha eyesore
godgame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 03:49 AM   #14
t94
Registered User
 
t94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 460
Likes (Received): 844

Definitely a bit ridiculous considering a few blocks down the street there is a smaller tower that could arguably be demolished for a ~1400 tower. Best case scenario you could preserve the facade and build the tower on top. I'm all for development, but development in the right places. Midtown calls for the highest density (especially office) density possible and demolishing a large building like this for a tower that will barely be occupied is absurd.



Might be landmarked though. Who knows. I know the developer might be going for high value property that lines fifth avenue, but I feel like there are different options that can be sought after.
__________________

RudyU liked this post
t94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 07:06 AM   #15
JohnDee
Registered User
 
JohnDee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Any great city
Posts: 378
Likes (Received): 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by t94 View Post
Definitely a bit ridiculous considering a few blocks down the street there is a smaller tower that could arguably be demolished for a ~1400 tower. Best case scenario you could preserve the facade and build the tower on top. I'm all for development, but development in the right places. Midtown calls for the highest density (especially office) density possible and demolishing a large building like this for a tower that will barely be occupied is absurd.



Might be landmarked though. Who knows. I know the developer might be going for high value property that lines fifth avenue, but I feel like there are different options that can be sought after.

What? Why the heck would you want to preserve that ugly tower? What merit does it have? It's a dull heavy boxy tower with a plastic looking facade. That is the kind of building that ruined midtown's beauty over the decades. The best case sceneario is that it's knocked down and something modern and interesting takes it's place. 5th avenue should be an elegant street with interesting buildings, not a clone of corporate and sterile looking Park Avenue.

How do you even know that tower is available. This might be the only building they could acquire or that it made sense to acquire financially. The developer has competition for sites and will take what he can get. It's not an open buffet.

There is nothing absurd about it. The developer will do it if it makes him a profit, period. That doesn't matter whether it's law firms or oligarchs. Offices are moving to newer buildings anyway. There is plenty of new office development over on the West Side and in Midtown East. Nothing says that 5th should have primarily offices on it if high value residential clients want to live there (or just own there) and will pay better rents.

As for all those bashing Hadid, the tower in Miami is world class/innovative avant-garde and far better than most modernist NY glass boxes that are going up everywhere and have little to catch the eye. As for your worries, I assume the tower in NY will never be as ostentatious. NY is a conservative town in terms of architecture. That is obvious, given most of the towers going up pay homage to the past in some way or else are simple modernist boxes. I expect something more toned down but still something that lights a fire under NY's architectural ass.

I don't know why you are mentioning that beautiful old building. That's the kind of architecture we need to remain in NY, not be bought and demolished.
__________________

streetscapeer liked this post

Last edited by JohnDee; September 12th, 2015 at 07:28 AM.
JohnDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 07:23 AM   #16
scalziand
Naugatuckian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Naugatuck, CT
Posts: 455
Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
What I really can't understand is how this tower could be 1400 ft., but Tower Verre, on the same block across the street, got capped at 1050. Does one side of the street have a height limit and the other one not?
Technically, they're on different streets. This tower, being on a wide avenue is allowed smaller setbacks from the street. 53w53 is on narrow cross streets with stricter setback requirements. The 1050' limit was still kind of arbitrary though. Most of Midtown doesn't have height limits, just floor area limits.
scalziand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 07:24 AM   #17
JohnDee
Registered User
 
JohnDee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Any great city
Posts: 378
Likes (Received): 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Technically, they're on different streets. This tower, being on a wide avenue is allowed smaller setbacks from the street. 53w53 is on narrow cross streets with stricter setback requirements. The 1050' limit was still kind of arbitrary though. Most of Midtown doesn't have height limits, just floor area limits.
The tower got capped because it was subject to government review, and Amanda Burden felt she had to appease her constituency and show that she was doing something to allay their fears. Politics.

This tower is as of right ad they can build within the FAR available.
__________________

made in NL liked this post
JohnDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 07:26 AM   #18
JohnDee
Registered User
 
JohnDee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Any great city
Posts: 378
Likes (Received): 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by godgame View Post
I guess nyc wants bad architecture now, with wtc2 and now a zaha eyesore

This tower is bad architecture. I don't know why you like it so much, but Hadid's future work is going to be far more interesting to look at for most people.

Most people I reckon would much prefer to see an interesting Hadid facade than a dystopian 1950's heavy box with small windows.
JohnDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 08:19 AM   #19
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,479

image hosted on flickr


Some history of 666 Fifth Avenue
http://www.thecityreview.com/fifth666.html


Original 1957 interior by Isamu Noguchi, apart from the floors, which used to be white marble with a black and red marble grid-like pattern. They now appear to be granite.


Last edited by ThatOneGuy; September 12th, 2015 at 08:28 AM.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 08:19 AM   #20
JohnDee
Registered User
 
JohnDee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Any great city
Posts: 378
Likes (Received): 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I don't post on here often, but this comment is outrageous. 5th Ave is still just as vibrant, if not more vibrant and packed by the floods of tourists who consider it to be akin to one of their homogenous luxury malls back home, wherever that may be. It is an increasingly, frighteningly assessment that one of the world's most expensive streets is in need of a "pick-me-up" because it happens to contain a diverse array of architecture.

Not to mention, this building is a beautiful building. As mentioned earlier, it was designed at the onset of the International Style, and the facade is glorious. Sure it may be antiquated on the interior, but a renovation should be required. Instead, we have greedy real estate pigs who consider destroying this building in favor of a sleek residential, hotel tower to be filled by oligarchs willing to use it as a money pit. Plus, as much as I love what Hadid has done, it comes with an extreme price tag. Like Gehry, Hadid's designs are great on paper, but in practice, they continue this sterilization that is so adored by the wealthy who fear of rubbing shoulders with us common folk. Look at what happened in Tokyo with the Olympic Stadium to see what reaction her designs get from the people who actually have to live around them.

I don't mean to call you out specifically JohnDee, but I just get this feeling that a lot of people on this site refuse to recognize the power of diverse architecture in all shapes and sizes. Instead we clamor for 1,400 Ft. towers without recognizing what happens on the inside of them. Pretty soon some people on here will be calling for the destruction of Hell's Kitchen for the sake of another Hudson Yards.

This is one development I am not for. Ok...rant over.
Hey Ho mon, you may want that, but the economics says that many of these prime located aging mid century office blocks are on their last legs.

Last edited by JohnDee; September 12th, 2015 at 10:02 AM.
JohnDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
666 5th ave., 666 fifth ave., midtown, nyc, zaha hadid

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu