search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 12th, 2015, 03:04 PM   #1
Sukino

Likes (Received): 1574

DUBLIN | Hollywoodrath

This land in Hollywoodrath, Hollystown, Dublin 15 is divided into 2 residential projects by different developers delivering 630 units in total.

North site:

455 units in 2 phases:
3 bed - 225
4-bed - 219
5-bed - 11

semi-d - 394
detached - 49
terraced - 12

This project includes a creche and a secondary school situated on both sites is planned.

There is a 110 kV power line that will not be put underground.

South site:

175 units in 2 phases:
2 bed - 21
3-bed - 58
4-bed - 96

Obsession with large houses continues but at least it's in a suitable area of Dublin.
The land is also bordering the Inner Airport Noise Zone so within the Outer Noise Zone.

Wilderbeast liked this post

Last edited by Sukino; February 4th, 2016 at 11:05 PM.
Sukino no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2015, 03:51 PM   #2
Sukino

Lands to the left of R121 and north of Tyrrelstown are zoned to provide about 850 additional dwellings.

The first site to be developed north of the Tyrrelstown Educate Together National School was granted permission in 2014 and will provide:

172 units

2-bed - 4
3-bed - 110
4-bed - 58

Old September 12th, 2015, 06:04 PM   #3
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 7389

Does Dublin have a protected greenbelt?

:: Northern Ireland Forum : Republic of Ireland Forum ::
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 06:53 PM   #4
dubhthach

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfastuniguy View Post
Historically people use to talk about a "Greenbelt" -- as can be seen in talks about planning corruption and rezoning of Greenbelt in various places, back in 1980's (Quarryvale etc.)

But as far as I know it didn't have any basis in legislation, it was up to councils to decided how it was zoned etc. To be honest I can't recall word "Greenbelt" been used in regards to Dublin in the last 20 years.

Since Dublin County Council was divided into three county councils in 1994 it's been open season to sprawl, in case of Fingal they've sprawled from City boundary to Co. Meath boundary, this will be more of it:

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Fin...!6m1!1e1?hl=en
dubhthach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 12:13 PM   #5
Sukino

Quote:
Golf courses

geogregor, Insert username here liked this post
Sukino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 01:49 PM   #6
nitrobyname

Likes (Received): 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukino View Post
Golf courses
LOL
nitrobyname no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 11:35 PM   #7
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 924

Quote:
Ha! Would that it did! We'd have far more organised development on its western and southern flanks if it did and we might just get the high-rise we want in the city centre if you couldn't simply build vast housing estates in Blanch, Lucan, Clondalkin and Tallaght.

Unfortunately now that the boom is back we can expect to see a resumption of construction in these vast housing estates in western Dublin where zoning exists.
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 11:03 PM   #8
Sukino

First phase sale launched and show houses finished.

Quote:
The first phase comprises 36 houses, 20 of which are being launched today.

Of the 20, nine are three-bedroom semis 120sq m (1,292sq ft) in size and ranging in price from €285,000 to €292,500. Of the 11 four-bedroom homes, seven are semi-detached and measure 141sq m (1,525sq ft). These range in price from €330,000 to €345,000.

There are four detached properties. These measure 154sq m (1,668sq ft) and will be asking €360,000.

Across the road from Tyrrelstown, this estate promises to be less dense than the narrow and often three-storey styles evident in the established neighbour.

The houses here are all two-storey and set on broader plots so they are roomier inside.

All have cream Munster Joinery PVC windows throughout, limed wideboard laminate flooring, a painted kitchen by Kitchen Elegance, built-in wardrobes and fully tiled bathrooms. The showhouses have been fitted out by Arlene McIntryre of Ventura Design.

Old February 5th, 2016, 12:22 AM   #9
Keano

Likes (Received): 16

to be honest I think they look great, and that at that price I'd be tempted myself
Keano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 05:08 PM   #10
mjohnoston

Likes (Received): 783

They look nice and are probably lovely inside too, but unless you are a car commuter you can forget about it. Politicians in Ireland haven't yet figured out that the housing crisis requires tackling public transport deficiencies very quickly.

Catmalojin liked this post
mjohnoston no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 11:28 PM   #11
Sukino

Old April 20th, 2016, 11:42 PM   #12
Wilderbeast

Likes (Received): 2191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvblvnia View Post
we might just get the high-rise we want in the city centre if you couldn't simply build vast housing estates in Blanch, Lucan, Clondalkin and Tallaght.
Lack of high-rise in the centre is due to opposition and objections - not to the suburban semi-Ds. We have no high-rise offices!

Families want to live in semis, like or not - and better they are commuting from the fringes of the built-up area than from towns and villages 50 miles away.

(Can't believe they are not under-grounding the ESB line passing through the site)
Wilderbeast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2016, 10:35 PM   #13
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 249

I have no objection to 'vast housing estates' which I would just refer to as large residential areas and it is far more of these we need not less. Like it or not low density housing estates are how Irish people want to live so there is no point building something else.
That said the 'edge' of Dublin needs a finer definition because they often seem to build very randomly. It's true that you cannot really buy in Hollywoodrath if you plan on using public transport a lot because it just wouldn't work well. I think people who move to areas like that are deliberately trying to get away from it all.
http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com/inex/roads/futures
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2016, 10:56 PM   #14
Fred_Johnson

Likes (Received): 1232

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek View Post
I have no objection to 'vast housing estates' which I would just refer to as large residential areas and it is far more of these we need not less. Like it or not low density housing estates are how Irish people want to live so there is no point building something else.
That said the 'edge' of Dublin needs a finer definition because they often seem to build very randomly. It's true that you cannot really buy in Hollywoodrath if you plan on using public transport a lot because it just wouldn't work well. I think people who move to areas like that are deliberately trying to get away from it all.
That's all fine and you're correct Irish people want the suburban low density lifestyle especially if they start a family. But they need to do two things:

1) Provide public transportation so it becomes possible to live there without commuting in your car.
2) Ban semi-d's in the city centre. If you want semi-d's then you need to accept you cannot live near the city or anywhere between the canals. Allow city dwellers such as young tech workers and non-Irish to live in ample sized densely packed apartments in the city centre. Build DU and MN so that these young and foreign can get around dublin reliably without using a car.

Sukino, Wilderbeast liked this post
Fred_Johnson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2016, 12:50 AM   #15
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Johnson View Post
1) Provide public transportation so it becomes possible to live there without commuting in your car.
2) Ban semi-d's in the city centre. If you want semi-d's then you need to accept you cannot live near the city or anywhere between the canals. Allow city dwellers such as young tech workers and non-Irish to live in ample sized densely packed apartments in the city centre. Build DU and MN so that these young and foreign can get around dublin reliably without using a car.
I absolutely agree about the public transport but where are we building semi Ds inside the canals??
http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com/inex/roads/futures

nitrobyname liked this post
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2016, 01:49 AM   #16
nitrobyname

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek View Post
I absolutely agree about the public transport but where are we building semi Ds inside the canals??
Interesting point, When was the last building of Semi D's inside the canals???
Early 90's social housing perhaps, seems like the point we argue about alot here about the city centre houses might already be addressed, there definitely seems to be a slight culture change in Dublin at least around more denser city centre living, Although it is still a slow process.
Real problem is the current city centre houses built over the last 150yr period that cant be touched because people live in them, privately own them, and wont sell. So we are probably stuck with higgledy-piggledy dublin for the foreseeable future unfortunately.
Old June 9th, 2016, 01:16 PM   #17
Fred_Johnson

Likes (Received): 1232

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrobyname View Post
Interesting point, When was the last building of Semi D's inside the canals???
Early 90's social housing perhaps, seems like the point we argue about alot here about the city centre houses might already be addressed, there definitely seems to be a slight culture change in Dublin at least around more denser city centre living, Although it is still a slow process.
Real problem is the current city centre houses built over the last 150yr period that cant be touched because people live in them, privately own them, and wont sell. So we are probably stuck with higgledy-piggledy dublin for the foreseeable future unfortunately.
I've seen a few proposals for building semi-d's inside the canals, one of them was actually in the docklands of all places. Then there's the Glass bottle site (although that's unlikely now due to pollution)

Yes i suppose i would broaden my definition of "semi-d's" to include that very low density social housing.
Fred_Johnson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2016, 01:34 PM   #18
Dublin84

Likes (Received): 548

Who says / said semi d were planned for igbs?!
Dublin84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2016, 10:10 PM   #19
nitrobyname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Johnson View Post
I've seen a few proposals for building semi-d's inside the canals, one of them was actually in the docklands of all places. Then there's the Glass bottle site (although that's unlikely now due to pollution)

Yes i suppose i would broaden my definition of "semi-d's" to include that very low density social housing.
Sorry I meant semi-d's and low density terraced housing.
Nothing like that should ever be proposed within the canals ever again....
Also glass bottle site was debated as social housing, but I don't believe any plans arose to claim it as Semi-D's

Wilderbeast liked this post

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: