daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 24th, 2016, 12:37 PM   #61
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

The only thing I dislike about it a little bit (emphasis on "little") is the similarity to that Hard Rock Hotel/Arabtec Tower in Dubai. However, that was a great design (one of the few great in Dubai), and this isn't too similar, just the general idea of the fanning out top.

Okay it's not the only thing, the other thing is that with a little tweaking, that previous design we've seen could have been perfect, I'm a bit sad for its loss.

Anyway, yeah, said to be not the final design, so we'll see.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2016, 03:17 PM   #62
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Great design, better than the original hope it is kept.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 06:06 PM   #63
ledhead

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallestKidOnTheBlock View Post
2) It seems like all projects are currently trying to outdo each other in wild and original designs. This is an understandable trend, since most architects only ever contribute to the NYC skyline once. As such, they will do all they can to contribute with the wildest design they can come up with rather than something more classic. After all, what architect would want to miss out having a building stand out in the mother city of skyscrapers? But what will New York be like if every building has been designed with the intention of being wilder than its neighbor? In my opinion NY could quickly end up as a chaos of wild ideas and original angles rather than actual aesthetic quality.

[/IMG]
Not quite true in this case. Given the case this desing is chosen, I don't think KPF will try to stamp their image on everyone's face, considering they have many other (and lot more significant) going on in the city. Maybe different with another architect/studio, though (Bjar... hahaha).

BLACK DAHLIA liked this post
ledhead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 06:12 PM   #64
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Eh. It's just ok. It's not as arresting as towers like Verre or 111 West 57th, that's for sure.
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 07:55 PM   #65
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

[QUOTE=TallestKidOnTheBlock;130935656]These kinds of skyscrapers can be cool, but I generally have two objections: 1) In 50 years, when half of New York's skyscrapers have almost pure glass facades, will the city still be as pretty? I honestly can't imagine it will. What makes New York so warm compared to other skyscraper clusters is that many of the buildings are constructed in stone and brick rather than the very cold and emotionless glass walls. This is one of the reasons I love projects like 30 Park Place and 520 Park Avenue. These towers maintain the elements that make New York what it is. 2) It seems like all projects are currently trying to outdo each other in wild and original designs. This is an understandable trend, since most architects only ever contribute to the NYC skyline once. As such, they will do all they can to contribute with the wildest design they can come up with rather than something more classic. After all, what architect would want to miss out having a building stand out in the mother city of skyscrapers? But what will New York be like if every building has been designed with the intention of being wilder than its neighbor? In my opinion NY could quickly end up as a chaos of wild ideas and original angles rather than actual aesthetic quality.

Your preoccupation,while interesting,is old like NY.
Many buildings that are today iconics were highly subject to criticism or skepticism at the time they were built.
Many architecture offices like Adjmi,BKSK,Stern,Roman and William,Pennoyer or even Annabelle Selldorf keep the tradition and the spirit of NY alive.
Recent beautiful buildings in Battery Park are mostly made of bricks.
BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 08:50 PM   #66
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallestKidOnTheBlock View Post
What makes New York so warm compared to other skyscraper clusters is that many of the buildings are constructed in stone and brick rather than the very cold and emotionless glass walls. This is one of the reasons I love projects like 30 Park Place and 520 Park Avenue. These towers maintain the elements that make New York what it is.
Thing is, 21st tenants (office and residential) expect large windows, so we're likely never going to get back to the days of mostly-stone-and-brick, no matter how classically New York that would be. Architects need to strike a balance between those kind of aesthetic ideals and the demands of their clientele.

I actually think KPF's design handles this nicely. Yes, it's quite glassy, but it appears that's all going to be framed with some kind of masonry (much more prominent in this render from the street.) Obviously not brick, but terra cotta or even a nicely treated concrete would give this a ton of texture and warmth compared with the all-glass towers like Nordstrom, HY/MW and the WTC.

Edit: I'll also add that, in terms of balancing practical considerations with aesthetics, the fanning sections of the tower is really brilliant on two fronts: First because it adds floorspace to the uppermost penthouses (not a new idea, the cantilevering 111 Murray and 45 E 22nd accomplish this as well), and also because it opens up a new Northwest view across the length and breadth of the Park, whereas a traditional box would have limited Park views to directly West and directly North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
Eh. It's just ok. It's not as arresting as towers like Verre or 111 West 57th, that's for sure.
I'm actually okay with it being subtler than those Billionaires Row towers. It's the Upper West Side, you know? Not that UES buildings all need to be stodgy or anything (this certainly isn't) but I've never thought of it as a neighborhood that shouts "look at me!"

That's partly why I think the earlier swoopy bronze design was maybe too flashy, whereas it would've fit right into the more adventurous heart of Midtown.

bodegavendetta, citybooster liked this post

Last edited by MarshallKnight; February 24th, 2016 at 09:10 PM.
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 09:03 PM   #67
seb.nl

Likes (Received): 1277

Bit top heavy eh.. Holding my reservations until there's more material to base an opinion on, off the bat i'm not so exited about its shape. Former proposal had more presence in that regard.

baisaroff liked this post
seb.nl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2016, 01:23 AM   #68
TallestKidOnTheBlock

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Thing is, 21st tenants (office and residential) expect large windows, so we're likely never going to get back to the days of mostly-stone-and-brick, no matter how classically New York that would be. Architects need to strike a balance between those kind of aesthetic ideals and the demands of their clientele.
Excellent point, I have thought the exact same thing myself. To tenants, glass curtains are much preferable, but the remaining eight million New Yorkers just want something that is nice to look at from the outside. However, I don't think a return to more classical designs is unthinkable. I think the mere fact that projects like 520 Park Avenue are happening is a sign that such architecture is still feasible in the 21st century. I just sincerely hope that NY will not become a city of all glass by the year 2070 or so.

MarshallKnight liked this post
TallestKidOnTheBlock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 05:09 AM   #69
tokilamockingbrd

Likes (Received): 116

any update on the status of this?
tokilamockingbrd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2016, 09:34 PM   #70
MarshallKnight

Spotted by our buddy VerticalGotham on the YIMBY Forums, here's another proposed version, this time at 1,240 ft. from Archilier Architects:

Here's the architects' blurb:

Quote:
Archilier’s design proposal for 151 E 60th Street on Manhattan’s exclusive Upper East Side is a fresh take in New York’s new super-thin “supertall” skyscraper community. Its inverted tapered form maximizes value by placing the largest floors at the top of the tower while simultaneously angling for the maximize views of Central Park. It also includes numerous non FAR landscaped terraces and loggias, effectively bringing the “park” into the building itself. A limestone and bronze material palette knits the building into its neighborhood at street-level while a sheltered motor court and townhouse lobby provide tranquil points of entry.
Similarly to the KPF design, this one torques ~45 degrees off the street grid, creating a Northwest exposure with better views of Central Park. My guess is that Kuafu has mandated a version of that element in order to maximize the value of their penthouse units.

What do you guys think? I love the height, but I think I prefer KPF's fanning design.
Old June 9th, 2016, 09:45 PM   #71
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

KPF's design is(imo)MUCH better!
Je suis d'accord avec vous Marshall..
KPF:J'ADORE!!
...By the way,i miss Verticalgotham!..

MarshallKnight liked this post
BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 04:26 AM   #72
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4605

I like the overall design of this one better, not to mention the height. But the cladding and details of the KPF design are of superior quality.
And yea, what happened to VG?!
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 07:51 AM   #73
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

I think the acrimony on the WTC 2 thread left a bad taste in the mouth and VG left this forum for Greener Pastures, i.e. The YIMBY forums.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

BLACK DAHLIA liked this post
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 07:05 PM   #74
baronson

Likes (Received): 714

That first pic looks like the Steinway tower had a kid with 432 park...
baronson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 07:45 PM   #75
MarshallKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronson View Post
That first pic looks like the Steinway tower had a kid with 432 park...
...with 3 Hudson Blvd as the surrogate.
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 10:29 PM   #76
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22555

there's definitely a Girasole vibe to it...

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2016, 07:13 AM   #77
TheIllinoisan

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
I think the acrimony on the WTC 2 thread left a bad taste in the mouth and VG left this forum for Greener Pastures, i.e. The YIMBY forums.
Greener pastures? More like a pathetic circle-jerk.
TheIllinoisan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2016, 09:38 AM   #78
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10286

I don't like the new design at all. Very tall for a mediocre design. Prefer the original.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 10:24 PM   #79
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

The original was too awkward for me, so I prefer the new render. The old one had a better base, though.

Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2016, 01:42 AM   #80
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25159

Has the site been demo'd yet?
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
145 e. 60th st., nyc, ues