daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2015, 08:40 AM   #21
MrVillageIdiot

Likes (Received): 124

San Francisco Ferry Building (1892-98)

Union Station, Washington DC (I've been lucky enough to visit this in person, its interior is completely stunning_

Raj20, Zaz965, mrsmartman, HURZ liked this post
MrVillageIdiot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2015, 01:11 PM   #22
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

I love the Beaux Arts style! The buildings have so much elegance and grandeur.
Though I bet many people will post random 19th century buildings and call them Beaux Arts. The San Francisco Ferry building above being the first. What exactly makes it Beaux Arts? Wikipedia says it is, but really what makes it Beaux Arts? It looks just neoclassical to me. The tower in the middle is inspired by the Giralda Tower in Seville, which is a renaissance building. I also see strong resemblence with the Pharos of Alexandria, one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world.

One of the very few Beaux Arts buildings in Germany is the Academy of Arts of Dresden:

Dresden Elbufer II by Heike Wiechmann, on Flickr

P1011155 Dresden_Bruhlsche Terrasse_Kunstakademie by Martin Malíček, on Flickr

Germany - Dresden Academy of Fine Arts (Kunstakademie)Facade 2 Brühl Terrace by Le Monde1, on Flickr

Frauenkirche Fama Kunstakademie by binax25, on Flickr

Kunsthochschule by Martine Wolf, on Flickr

Sicht auf die Kunstakademie by Mike, on Flickr

Last edited by Tiaren; October 4th, 2015 at 01:31 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2015, 04:03 PM   #23
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Though I bet many people will post random 19th century buildings and call them Beaux Arts. The San Francisco Ferry building above being the first. What exactly makes it Beaux Arts? Wikipedia says it is, but really what makes it Beaux Arts? It looks just neoclassical to me. The tower in the middle is inspired by the Giralda Tower in Seville, which is a renaissance building. I also see strong resemblence with the Pharos of Alexandria, one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world.
I wondered that too. But at the inside it does look a lot like French railway stations from that era, like Saint-Lazare. Technically, railway stations are utilitarian architecture but some of them are so accomplished that actually they are highlights of the style (Orsay, Gare de Lyon etc.)
At the outside, the central wing could be seen as a simplified form of the style, although the outside overall does not have a French feeling at all.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities

Zaz965 liked this post
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2015, 05:36 PM   #24
Fro7en
I Love Rien!

Likes (Received): 869

I've always loved German beaux-arts stuff

Zaz965 liked this post
Fro7en no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2015, 02:01 AM   #25
Fro7en
I Love Rien!

Paris-Saint-Lazare

Raj20, Zaz965 liked this post
Old October 5th, 2015, 07:07 PM   #26
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro7en View Post
I've always loved German beaux-arts stuff
Well, as I said, there are very few German examples of Beaux Arts. Wikipedia says Berlin's Bode-Museum is heavily inspired by Beaux Arts and the architect Ernst von Ihne studied at the École des Beaux-Arts in Paris. I think the building is more inspired by Friderician Baroque, but here we go:

The Bode-Museum in Berlin, Germany opened in 1904 and was build by Ernst Eberhard von Ihne.

Bode Museum by Stefan Rohlaender, on Flickr

The neo baroque palace sits like a boat in the river Spree and is only accessible through two bridges.

Bode Museum by Jennifer Morrow, on Flickr

The interior is just as magnificent as the outside already promises:

Germany - Berlin - Bode Museum - HDR 17 10 2014 by Redstone Hill, on Flickr

There's also a second large dome:

Tapis rouge. by Guilhem Lascaux, on Flickr

BER_Bode_05 by chiang_benjamin, on Flickr

The two marble statues in the foreground are Aphrodite and Hermes and they were presents from Louis XIV to Frederick II. So there's a French connection.

Chimer, Raj20, alexandru.mircea, Fro7en, Pell0 and 3 others liked this post
Old October 6th, 2015, 04:19 AM   #27
EMArg

Likes (Received): 30265

Beaux Arts in Buenos Aires

What we know nowadays as the “Paris of South America” is the result of the large collection that the Beaux Arts gave to Buenos Aires in the last 150 years. Since the last half of the 19th Century, this style took different directions, starting first with the epic public buildings and the huge palaces of the richest families of Argentina. Among these families are the famous Alvears, the Boschs, the Anchorenas, the Unzués, among others. A paradox of this new era for Argentina was that the country who received mostly spanish and italian immigrants also adopted at the same time the french styles throughout its whole history as the core of its architecture, in the beginning for the High Class and then for the rest of the country. So the first big palaces were born, like the Pereda Palace (Embassy of Brazil) and the Bosch Palace (US Embassy), among several examples that looked like small versions of the Chateau of Versailles on its interiors:

At the same time, the big public palaces like the Pizzurno Palace, the National School of Buenos Aires, and the gorgeous Palace of the Post Office who was designed by the architect Norbert Maillart:

This french influence quickly spread to the other sectors of the high class of Argentina. A different kind of french mansions was born: the urban buildings with a larger amount of floors and glorious domes. These are some of the examples of the neighborhoods of Recoleta and Palermo:

But what I consider the most interesting moment was when the Beaux Arts style went straight through the middle and low class people. When it became massive, the french culture also went deep down into the people and the roots of Argentina we see today. From the bakery shops, to the bars on the streets, and the european touch on almost every corner of every city and town of the country. This was also the times where the buildings started to almost surpass those of France and Paris, with the arrival of new extravagant domes and designs, like the cases of the Raggio Palace and the building of Callao and Lavalle streets:

Argentina - Brazil - Chile - Colombia - Italy - Panama - Perú - Uruguay
Boston - New York City - California

Chimer, Raj20, alexandru.mircea, Pell0, Zaz965 and 2 others liked this post
EMArg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 04:20 AM   #28
EMArg

...and the famous collection of 4 buildings who were built in strategic corners of Buenos Aires by the architects Dunant and Mallet: the Caja Internacional Mutua de Pensiones (Corrientes and Pueyrredón streets), the Asociación Española de Socorros Mutuos (Entre Ríos and Alsina streets), the Centro Naval (in front of the Pacífico Galleries, in the Córdoba and Florida streets) and the building of Córdoba and Talcahuano streets.

It is interesting to see how strong was the influence of France in the world, especially on the architecture of the high-class. Though Buenos Aires took the french styles to the extremes, you will probably find french-looking buildings and mansions in the best neighborhoods of the biggest capitals of the world. So after the Beaux Arts shined, between the last decades of the 19th Century and 1940, a new style came into the scene to break the perfection and to let the imagination fly, giving the architects a new freedom to design: the Modernism architecture. That’s what’s comming on the next week, so stay tunned. Meanwhile, a few more images of the Beaux Arts in Buenos Aires:

Fro7en, Raj20, alexandru.mircea, Pell0, Zaz965 and 2 others liked this post
Old October 6th, 2015, 04:20 AM   #29
EMArg

The full documentary (on spanish) of the Beaux Arts style in Buenos Aires:

Zaz965 liked this post
Old October 6th, 2015, 06:32 AM   #30
Fro7en
I Love Rien!

Man, Buenos Aires is amazing! And Argentina is general is too. It's sad that this country didn't stay rich, but never the less, argentina is still the model for all Latin American countries. I hope one day Argentina can become a bigger world power, and I have no doubt it will.

EMArg, Bonaerense24, Zaz965, hercre liked this post
Old October 9th, 2015, 02:26 PM   #31
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Your bet was of couse right. As we see on EMArg's posts

But if you look at the central pavillon of the Ferry Building you'll see that it closely resembles the stile thats's called Beaux Art in US. Those large bow windows and the heavy columns combined with extreme purism at the details are very typical for US buildings of that stile.

Tiaren, Zaz965 liked this post
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2015, 02:37 PM   #32
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolbert View Post
Your bet was of couse right. As we see on EMArg's posts

But if you look at the central pavillon of the Ferry Building you'll see that it closely resembles the stile thats's called Beaux Art in US. Those large bow windows and the heavy columns combined with extreme purism at the details are very typical for US buildings of that stile.
What do you think about the Bode-Museum or others of Ihne's buildings, like the Neuer Marstall or the Staatsbibliothek. I find it hard to really pinpoint Beaux Arts references there. Wikipedia claims though, that Ihne was greatly inspired by it and even studied it in Paris.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old October 10th, 2015, 03:15 AM   #33
Zaz965
Temer Out!

Likes (Received): 26017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVillageIdiot View Post
San Francisco Ferry Building (1892-98)
another view

http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wik..._Francisco.jpg

alexandru.mircea, djole13, Raj20 liked this post
Zaz965 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2015, 07:19 AM   #34
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5156

I'm not sure if this is Beaux Arts or Art Nouveau, but it's nice and from the beginning of the XX Century I guess. They were used as pit boxes when the European Grand Prix was held in the streets of Valencia. Couldn't find many good pics though.

Tinglados del Puerto de Valencia, Spain

image hosted on flickr

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★

alexandru.mircea, Raj20, Zaz965 liked this post
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2015, 03:34 PM   #35
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10736

You can buy this beauty in Bucharest on the cheap:

Larger size pic: http://www.bucurestiivechisinoi.ro/w...-Nationala.jpg

http://www.bucurestiivechisinoi.ro/2...a-micul-paris/

The bidding starts at 8.7 million euro. TBF it is in a fairly bad shape.

http://www.economica.net/palatul-cam..._109132.html#n

https://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblio..._Rom%C3%A2niei

Places to go, things to see
by Alexandru Verenca, on Flickr

detaliu arhitectural Biblioteca Nationala (zona Lipscani)
by Cotet-Magurean Bogdan, on Flickr

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities

Raj20, Zaz965, HURZ liked this post

Last edited by alexandru.mircea; October 29th, 2015 at 03:49 PM.
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 11:52 AM   #36
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1641

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGA196 View Post
I'm not sure if this is Beaux Arts or Art Nouveau, but it's nice and from the beginning of the XX Century I guess. They were used as pit boxes when the European Grand Prix was held in the streets of Valencia. Couldn't find many good pics though.
Tinglados del Puerto de Valencia, Spain
It's Art Nouveau

Zaz965 liked this post
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 06:29 PM   #37
CharmCity1

Likes (Received): 450

Baltimore, Maryland USA

Hippodrome Theatre

B&O Railroad Headquarters Building

Grand Historic Venue

Baltimore Gas and Electric Company Building

United States Custom House

Sagamore Pendry Baltimore

Hanover Street Bridge

Pennsylvania Station (Baltimore)

Washington Place Apartments

Belvedere Hotel

Everyman Theatre

MICA Main Building

JMGA196 liked this post

Last edited by CharmCity1; April 6th, 2017 at 10:54 PM.
CharmCity1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
architecture