daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 4th, 2015, 06:44 AM   #1
Victoria123

Likes (Received): 1768

SEOUL | Seoul Station 7017 Project | U/C

More renderings will be announced on Nov. 5th.

- A pedestrian bridge that will arch over the railway will have transparent glass floors + observation platform
- 938m long pedestrian passage - trees, 307 benches, flowerpots, waterfountain, pavilion, stores that change throughout the year, 7017 museum etc.
- The width of the walkway will be 2.5~3.5m
- The 5 bridges will have transparent glass floors that will allow pedestrians to view railways, plazas etc.

Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2015, 11:56 AM   #2
inno4321

Likes (Received): 12443

well good thread. thanks

but I don't like this project. seoul mayor try to copy 청계천 chungaechun project as his political ambitious achieve. https://www.google.co.kr/search?q=ch...IVIhemCh0h2AI0

As by seoulites people complain about "what did u did since many years regime?".
people only remind "city farming" this mayor's achieve.
And then mayor want to built some kind of architectural stature. and show off to people as visual achievement
that is this meaningless project result.

"Theory of Quantum Mechanics, theory of Inflation, M-theory imply Multiverses. Probably We're a part of Infinity&Nothing" inno4321
inno4321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 03:17 PM   #3
Victoria123

Quote:
Originally Posted by inno4321 View Post
well good thread. thanks

but I don't like this project. seoul mayor try to copy 청계천 chungaechun project as his political ambitious achieve. https://www.google.co.kr/search?q=ch...IVIhemCh0h2AI0

As by seoulites people complain about "what did u did since many years regime?".
people only remind "city farming" this mayor's achieve.
And then mayor want to built some kind of architectural stature. and show off to people as visual achievement
that is this meaningless project result.
Cheongaecheon was a great leap for Seoul. I'm in for any project that will make Seoul a more pedestrian and eco-friendly city regardless of politics.
Victoria123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 03:41 PM   #4
inno4321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria123 View Post
Cheongaecheon was a great leap for Seoul. I'm in for any project that will make Seoul a more pedestrian and eco-friendly city regardless of politics.

well
so do i
I want more pedestrian friendly in seoul.

but except political undertone this cross over bridge's vertical location very skeptical as park.

as u know Cheongaecheon is historical location for stream and very easily accessible to that artificial park. other word it "natural spot for park."
Meanwhile this cross bridge very awkward as park. think nobody go there for hang out.
as seoulite I am. I sure that this location very isolated and meaningless for CBD revive.

below is main road many dirty pollution came from below and heat isolation expect too. especially when summer it disaster.
and earthquake then this bridge will be collapse(like a GOBE)
then it disaster.

moreover due to this bridge's project Seoul station redevelop project stop.
this project waste money+tax and just another propaganda stature for mayor.

"Theory of Quantum Mechanics, theory of Inflation, M-theory imply Multiverses. Probably We're a part of Infinity&Nothing" inno4321
Old November 4th, 2015, 09:45 PM   #5
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8691

Insults towards anyone will not be tolerated. However, I would request that politics, unless well within context, is left out of the thread.

Thanks everyone.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 10:21 PM   #6
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1029

Slightly in defense of, and totally in agreement with Inno; I think that this is a quick way for Mayor Park to leave his mark on the city for political gain.

I don't think an aerial park is the best thing to do with the overpass. It's not really the best use of the space, and the tracks of Seoul Station are too wide for a bridge to be either useful for commuting, or sufficient as a communal (business) space.

I think that the other proposal, with a full platform over the tracks, and associated building opportunities, would be a much better fit for the area. Much more expensive, inarguably, but worthwhile just the same.

inno4321 liked this post
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2015, 05:33 AM   #7
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 822

It's a big stretch of the term to call this an elevated park. There's no grass in those renders. Just a few trees and bushes on concrete.

inno4321 liked this post
The seventh shape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2015, 03:00 PM   #8
aquaticko

Right; the whole things pretty half-assed, and there are much better uses for the space.

inno4321 liked this post
Old November 6th, 2015, 03:14 PM   #9
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
Slightly in defense of, and totally in agreement with Inno; I think that this is a quick way for Mayor Park to leave his mark on the city for political gain.

I don't think an aerial park is the best thing to do with the overpass. It's not really the best use of the space, and the tracks of Seoul Station are too wide for a bridge to be either useful for commuting, or sufficient as a communal (business) space.

I think that the other proposal, with a full platform over the tracks, and associated building opportunities, would be a much better fit for the area. Much more expensive, inarguably, but worthwhile just the same.
Maybe an aerial park isn't the best thing to do with the overpass but I think it's a very scenographic solution. It could be something similar to the High Line in New York or the Promenade plantée in Paris.
FabriFlorence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 07:05 PM   #10
MiguelAlves
BANNED

Likes (Received): 213

Like a futuristic station.
MiguelAlves no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2015, 05:51 AM   #11
Almenac-SS
The Lurker

Likes (Received): 78

Right, this isn't a park, it's more of a "trail". Not bad though. Reserve judgement until completion. We haven't even gotten the updated renders yet.
Almenac-SS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2015, 07:28 AM   #12
kimahrikku1

Likes (Received): 7000

Well, is this project a political attempt by Mayor Park to leave his mark (and his name) on Seoul ? Definitely. Same as MB 10 years ago. It's pretty obvious and there's no denying it. If it was a truly well though of project, we wouldn't get billboards everywhere on the street and the subway promoting the project. This is a PR coup to sway voters in favor of the project, putting pressure on legislators to pass this bill ; otherwise they would have done the PR campaign only right before completion to create traffic on the overpass.

So this is politically charged, and designed as the brainchild of Mayor Park. But guess what, most large projects are one way or the other the brainchild of an elected official / departing CEO wanting his name to be remembered for future generations. We're not truly breaking grounds here.

I don't think the project has quite the scale of Cheonggyecheon. But neither does it probably have the cost either, so I wouldn't compare apples and oranges.

As to the project itself, I'm moderately optimistic. I like the location of this project. It's not just an overpass squeezed in between buildings, so it would allow for beautiful sceneries (especially right over the train station, when looking to the North), and is in a location that is central, compared to the High Line or the Promenade Plantée. What I also like is that from the first renders, it looks like the project will allow for multiple access points, connecting with various roads and buildings. So people will not have the need to consciously say "I gotta walk to Seoul 7017 and check it out". They'll just stumble onto an entry point and be able to casually walk to the overpass.

I think it's also nice that this project is at the periphery of the historic center, rather than at the very center. It should help expand the historical center of the city. Kind of like DDP. Euljiro, still underdeveloped, is at the crossroads of Myeongdong and DDP, and projects are starting to increase there, slowly linking up the two areas.

For Seoul Station, it's kind of the same. The Jongro CBD begins at Sungnyemun (Namdaemun) or City Hill, depending on your perspective. If you've ever walked between Seoul Station, Shinsegae Main Store, Hoehyeon, City Hall, Namdaemun, it would be obvious to you that the area is full of crumbling buildings from the 60s and the 70s. With Seoul 7017, that would further help link up Seoul Station to City Hall, bringing new real estate developments to this area.

For the drawbacks, the main thing that comes to my mind is the actual renders. I'd admit that aerial shots are not the best renders for these kinds of projects, because that's not how people will experience the place at all, but I remain skeptical. I fail to see an overarching theme and it does look fairly bland. I don't know how the park will actually turn out, but if it looks to close to what the renders suggest, that would be a failed opportunity to do something great and waste it on a bad design. However, I've usually been usually very positively surprised with new parks in Korea (Dream Forest, Gyeonggui Line Forest Park, Busan Citizens' Park, Seonyudo Park...) so I think Koreans are overall good for building parks and such, so I would expect the actual park to look better than these renders.

Last edited by kimahrikku1; November 9th, 2015 at 03:05 AM.
kimahrikku1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2015, 02:06 PM   #13
Aenelia

Likes (Received): 24

if he really wanted to leave a mark, he should just destroy his rice fields on that island on the han river and build a world class opera house on it haha

inno4321 liked this post
Aenelia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2015, 02:28 PM   #14
aquaticko

He could just as easily spur development by, I don't know, actually developing the place with a multi-tower development on the site.

Ultimately, I'm just afraid that, what with this area not being very pedestrian-friendly--the termini of the bridge would all be essentially in the middle of gigantic, multi-lane roads--it will end up not being very well used at all. I just don't think that there's presently enough non-business activity in the area, like shopping, restaurants, tourist landmarks, etc., to generate the kind of pedestrian traffic that'd make the work necessary to turn the overpass into a park a worthwhile investment.

Granted, of course, that it's going to be a mere fraction of what it would cost to turn it into a multi-tower, over-track development, but we know Korea could use some more TOD, and having it at the main KTX station in the city would seem like a great way to attract out-of-towners, too. It just seems like too good an opportunity not to seize.
Old November 8th, 2015, 03:40 PM   #15
kimahrikku1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
He could just as easily spur development by, I don't know, actually developing the place with a multi-tower development on the site.

Ultimately, I'm just afraid that, what with this area not being very pedestrian-friendly--the termini of the bridge would all be essentially in the middle of gigantic, multi-lane roads--it will end up not being very well used at all. I just don't think that there's presently enough non-business activity in the area, like shopping, restaurants, tourist landmarks, etc., to generate the kind of pedestrian traffic that'd make the work necessary to turn the overpass into a park a worthwhile investment.

Granted, of course, that it's going to be a mere fraction of what it would cost to turn it into a multi-tower, over-track development, but we know Korea could use some more TOD, and having it at the main KTX station in the city would seem like a great way to attract out-of-towners, too. It just seems like too good an opportunity not to seize.
I'm not provide again my opinion about whether this project will indeed attract pedestrians. I think there were 17 (?) access points proposed, and that would be quite a lot, but at this point, whether you're pessimistic or optimistic, we can only speculate. So let's leave this debate to rest for now.

For leaving his mark, that's the point where I disagree. Having a mall-like complex like in Yongsan Station around the station would probably make sense as well, but politicians almost never leave their mark for building economic districts or shopping malls. Two main reasons, I think :
- There is money that can be made for commercial developments, so these projects could be seen as pure "investments", yielding money over time. In these case, the public doesn't believe that the politicians built them for any "greater good".
- In a city like Seoul, there are already lots of shopping malls, department stores, 100-or-so-meter towers, and one single additional project would hardly get noticed. People are used to it and wouldn't really credit a politician for it.

So, elected officials almost always leave the mark through non-commercial (and non-residential) buildings, that can serve the community in one way or the other : a park, a museum, an airport, a stadium, an historical restoration project, something like DDP, a touristic landmark such as Namsan Tower, a culturac masterpiece (library, opera)...

So long story short, I'm not saying this project is good, I'm just saying that, if you try to put yourself in the shoes of an elected official (even one that I dislike such as Mayor Park) who wants to be something that can endure the test of times and be associated with his name, an overpass transformation project makes some sense on paper. But we'll see. As I said, and don't like the initial renders, and access points / pedestrian flow are still huge unknowns.

Last edited by kimahrikku1; November 8th, 2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old November 8th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #16
inno4321

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimahrikku1 View Post
Well, is this project a political attempt by Mayor Park to leave his mark (and his name) on Seoul ? Definitely. Same as MB 10 years ago. It's pretty obvious and there's no denying it. If it was a truly well though of project, we wouldn't get billboards everywhere on the street and the subway promoting the project. This is a PR coup to sway voters in favor of the project, putting pressure on legislators to pass this bill ; otherwise they would have done the PR campaign only right before completion to create traffic on the overpass.

So this is a politically charged, and designed as the brainchild of Mayor Park. But guess what, most large projects are one way or the other the brainchild of an elected official / departing CEO wanting his name to be remembered for future generations. We're not truly breaking grounds hear.

I don't think the project has quite the scale of Cheonggyecheon. But neither does it probably have the cost either, so I wouldn't compare apples and oranges.

As to the project itself, I'm moderately optimistic. I like the location of this project. It's not just an overpass squeezed in between buildings, so it would allow for beautiful sceneries (especially right over the train station, when looking to the North), and is in a location that is central, compared to the High Line or the Promenade Plantée. What I also like is that from the first renders, it looks like the project will allow for multiple access points, connecting with various roads and buildings. So people will not have the need to consciously say "I gotta walk to Seoul 7017 and check it out". They'll just stumble onto an entry point and be able to casually walk to the overpass.

I think it's also nice that this project is at the periphery of the historic center, rather than at the very center. It should help expand the historical center of the city. Kind of like DDP. Euljiro, still underdeveloped, is at the crossroads of Myeongdong and DDP, and projects are starting to increase there, slowly linking up the two areas.

For Seoul Station, it's kind of the same. The Jongro CBD begins at Sungnyemun (Namdaemun) or City Hill, depending on your perspective. If you've ever walked between Seoul Station, Shinsegae Main Store, Hoehyeon, City Hall, Namdaemun, it would be obvious to you that the area is full of crumbling buildings from the 60s and the 70s. With Seoul 7017, that would further help link up Seoul Station to City Hall, bringing new real estate developments to this area.

For the drawbacks, the main thing that comes to my mind is the actual renders. I'd admit that aerial shots are not the best renders for these kinds of projects, because that's not how people will experience the place at all, but I remain skeptical. I fail to see an overarching theme and it does look fairly bland. I don't know how the park will actually turn out, but if it looks to close to what the renders suggest, that would be a failed opportunity to do something great and waste it on a bad design. However, I've usually been usually very positively surprised with new parks in Korea (Dream Forest, Gyeonggui Line Forest Park, Busan Citizens' Park, Seonyudo Park...) so I think Koreans are overall good for building parks and such, so I would expect the actual park to look better than these renders.

I have "high quality choose final rendering of this project"
but I'll not uploaded in here cause I have no interesting this project.
maybe u or somebody will be uploaded instead of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenelia View Post
if he really wanted to leave a mark, he should just destroy his rice fields on that island on the han river and build a world class opera house on it haha

Absolutely I agreed

Old November 8th, 2015, 04:47 PM   #17
aquaticko

I suppose his obvious motivations here do put the final nail in the coffin of the idea of Mayor Park as an even vaguely altruistic idealist who's interested in anything but his own political gain.

Must politicians everywhere suck?

But this is O/T, so seconded, kimahrikku1; we'll just have to wait and see how things turn out, in any case.
Old November 8th, 2015, 05:04 PM   #18
inno4321

Well this is one of final rendering of Seoul Station 7017 Project | Pro

this is SAEWON GREEN PEDESTRIAN friendly project

Look compare with these TWO project.
In short, I'm not really opposite Seoul Station 7017. It can good experiment for city

But Why I hate this project is now seoul mayor dismiss above SAEWON GREEN PEDESTRIAN friendly project by himself.
Reason is one : SAEWON project one of main project of "Former mayor who Mr OH sae hun!
He jealous about former mayor's succeed(project) so destroy all of them like a vandalism.
Think about one politician destroy former mayor's project due to his own political stance. He doesn't care about seoul's future or city's competition power/citizens's life convenience.
Like this way now mayor dismiss many countless project of seoul by his decision.

Right Seoul Station 7017 is need for seoul's revive
But same reason SAEWON GREEN project more important for seoul's revive than 7017

(in the aspect of environment when compare with these two project's scale then SAEWON project 10 times more important for Seoulites and seoul's revive)
As kimi said above Especially SAEWON GREEN project located on between DDP and Seoul city hall/chunggaechun!
now this area totally slummy! people don;t go there cause filled with shanty houses.
So now DDP and Seoul cityhall isolated each other like a ISLAND because SAEWON AREA remain as slummy.
I was really painful when this mayor destroy SAEWON GREEN project when he inaugurate

I said he must on "Constancy of purpose"!!
If he really intersting about "pedestrian friendly in seoul" then he shouldn't destroy SAEWON GREEN project too.

Oneday destroy important green way project, then after another day suddenly make a over pass park?
So disgusted

aquaticko, The seventh shape liked this post

Last edited by inno4321; November 8th, 2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old November 12th, 2015, 03:12 AM   #19
kimahrikku1

For full disclosure, this article is not so much about the project itself, but more about the struggle between the City and the Police, and some additional information about the genesis of the project and the safety (or lack thereof) of the current bridge

Quote:
Tension escalates over Seoul overpass

Tension between Seoul city government and the police authorities is escalating over the city’s plan to restore the outdated flyover near Seoul Station into an eco-friendly walkway.

In September last year, Seoul Mayor Park Won-soon vowed to transform a 1-kilometer-long section of the flyover into a pedestrian park as part of its urban restoration scheme, dubbed Korea’s version of New York’s High Line Park. Under the name of “Seoul Station 7017 Project,” the city aims to boost the neighboring markets while preserving the historic heritage.

The plan faced resistance due to budget concerns and protests by local shopkeepers who were worried about the effect on sales.

The police have also hampered the park scheme, citing traffic problems it would cause.

The flyover, which is 17 meters above ground, has connected the city center to the western region since the 1970s.

As decades passed, however, it was assessed to be too old to sustain. It received a “D” grade in a safety test in 2006 and was recommended to be demolished in a few years, prompting the mayor to pledge to remodel it rather than tear it down due to its historical significance.

To open the park in early 2017 as scheduled, the city planned to start restricting the flyover traffic, demolish the old sections of the road and initiate the reinforcement operation from this month.

By law, the city government can discretionally tear down construction or control and restrict the traffic if there are public safety risks.

In order to minimize the potential traffic congestion near the flyover, Seoul City sought approval from the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency more than six months ago for installing five new traffic signals around the flyover.

The police, however, put the proposal on hold twice -- in July and August -- citing insufficient backup plans, which Seoul City has said is “regretful.”

“The city cannot help but raise ‘reasonable’ suspicion that the police made the decision with a political motive,” said Seoul City spokesperson Kim In-cheol in early September.

“While the city has actively discussed the traffic measures with the police at the working level since October last year, the police suspended the review over practically trivial matters that can be easily improved.”

Some raised speculation that the police action was influenced by the central government to contain Park who is considered a potential presidential candidate from the main opposition party.

“The overpass was graded D again in 2012, with only two to three years of time left. It’s necessary to tear it down no later than this year,” said a Seoul City official said.

The police flatly denied the claim, claiming that it was merely the city’s interpretation.

Safety concerns arose in January last year after one of the flyover’s concrete floor plates fell to the ground. Over 93 percent of the 220 supporting structures of the flyover were graded the lowest level “E” last year, officials said.

The police then asked the city in September to get the opinion of the Transport Ministry, saying that the decision to change the traffic routes is under its discretion.

The ministry, however, referred back to the police, refusing to get involved.

The police on Tuesday reiterated that they would review the new traffic signal plan once the city receives the ministry’s approval.

Regardless of the “Seoul High Line Park” plan, Seoul City said it would restrict the overpass traffic and partially tear down the structure from next month on its own authority, citing safety concerns.

The potential traffic congestion problem is expected to remain until the tug-of-war between the city and the police is resolved.

By Lee Hyun-jeong ([email protected])
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20151111001127
Old November 13th, 2015, 05:22 AM   #20
Victoria123

Please do not continue to engage in political debate.
I expected this to happen as soon as I saw Inno bring up his dissatisfaction towards Seoul's mayor; hence I said " I'm in for any project that will make Seoul a more pedestrian and eco-friendly city regardless of politics."

In case Inno and aqcuatico were wondering that was a cue that we should keep this thread clean of political debate.

Thank you.
Victoria123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote