daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 3rd, 2016, 07:18 PM   #41
Victoria123

Likes (Received): 1767

Not bad, not bad at all.
Victoria123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2016, 07:04 AM   #42
Almenac-SS
The Lurker

Likes (Received): 78

Wow I'm most excited about the render showing block paving in front of old Seoul station. Are they finally getting rid of the cheap-looking asphalt?
Almenac-SS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 02:50 PM   #43
kimahrikku1

Likes (Received): 6999

http://news.joins.com/article/198185...news%7Cculture

Now the heavy work is starting. They'll be installing mural drawings or whatever over the past few weeks.

But now it's really beginning.
kimahrikku1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2016, 04:25 AM   #44
kimahrikku1

http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?...aid=0003054992

Last edited by kimahrikku1; June 30th, 2016 at 04:50 AM.
Old June 30th, 2016, 04:52 AM   #45
kimahrikku1

I'm surprised by how much they seem to be working on the structure of the overpass itself. It's almost like they're demolishing and rebuilding it entirely. Should be nice when completed.

http://blog.naver.com/opjkl489/220743898947
Old June 30th, 2016, 02:00 PM   #46
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1027

Good to hear. I know at least some of the opposition was due to concerns about the viability of the structure itself, so that they're giving it a thorough overhaul should allay those concerns and allow us to focus on the design of the thing.

kimahrikku1 liked this post
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2016, 03:23 PM   #47
kimahrikku1

Photos I took today:

20160717_182207 by kimahrikku1, on Flickr

20160717_182229 by kimahrikku1, on Flickr

20160717_182319 by kimahrikku1, on Flickr
Old August 23rd, 2016, 10:02 AM   #48
kimahrikku1

http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?...aid=0002223592
Old August 28th, 2016, 03:44 PM   #49
kimahrikku1

Project preview by Kojects

Quote:
Preview of Seoul Station 7017

There are still eight months left until the Seoul Station 7017, Seoul’s newest and most innovative public space, is going to open in April 2017. Just recently, Seoul opened to the public a Seoul Station 7017 preview. There you can see and experience how Seoul’s skygarden is going to look like.

Current Status on the Seoul Station 7017
I didn’t write about the Seoul’s High Line project for a while because the constructions are currently on-going and no incidents happened (which is a good thing).

But now, a small piece of the Seoul’s skygarden was built and opened somewhere else. Seoul calls it ‘Infogarden’, but I like to call it a preview of the Seoul Station overpass. It functions as a way to inform citizen’s about the overpass project. It gives citizens a taste of how the new public space is going to look like. There will be various events from August 16 to November 30.

Construction Phase
The construction of the Infogarden began in April and it was completed in June. The Seoul Station 7017 preview was designed by Winy Maas. From my understanding, it shows a segment of the future Seoul Station Overpass. This plan shows the design of the Infogarden:

It is 218 square meters large and has a small exhibition room and an information desk. 10 different plants can be seen in the Infogarden.

On several occasions I passed by the construction site. I took the following picture on April 14:

They used the same cement that will be used for the Seoul Station Overpass. Thus, the preview gives you the full experience.

The area wasn’t closed permanently. A couple of weeks later, pedestrians were allowed to pass through the construction zone:

Here’s a picture from the other side with the Seoul Plaza Hotel in the background:

The two pictures above are taken on June 9th. Through this small-scale garden the city can learn about how to build the huge Seoul Station 7017. And even more than that, as plants and vegetation play an important role, the city can experience what it takes to grow flowers in these huge flower pots.

Seoul Station 7017 Preview
Winy Maas, the architect of the Seoul Station Overpass project, came to Seoul for the opening of the Infogarden on June 23. It improves the quality of the public space significantly. As Kojects presented once before, the Seoul Plaza doesn’t have any benches. This Infogarden adds finally an area to sit to the large plaza. The additional vegetation and plants are also very nice.

Seoul Station 7017 Preview

This is the exhibition facility which is also an oversized flower pot:

I was a little bit early. The exhibition room is open every day except Monday. On weekdays it operates from 11am to 8pm and on weekends it’s open from 10am to 7pm.

On the left, you can see the information facility that was closed, too. The thin column on the right illuminates the Seoul Station 7017 Preview in a blue light at night. The flower pots have also lights.

Each flower pot has a label with the name of the specific flower, a NFC spot and a QR-code. For example, a QR-code leads to this page: http://urbanforest.co.kr/FC272. There are pictures of the plant and information on the name, species, seasonal growth pattern, origin and so on.

I hope that Seoul proofreads all flower names before the opening of the overpass because there is a typo in the English name of that rose.

Temporarily or Permanently?
It isn’t clear what’s going to happen with the Infogarden after the Seoul Staton 7017 opens. Maybe Seoul will remove it as it won’t be needed anymore and every visitor can go to the overpass to see the real thing. I hope that they will leave this structure as it improves the public space quality of Seoul Plaza. It would be nice to have more Infogardens around Seoul. It is a real oasis that offers a great, modern public space.

How to get there?
The Infogarden is behind Exit 5 of City Hall Station (subway line no. 1 and 2). Or if you on foot, then walk to the main library of Seoul, right next to the city hall. You’ll see the Infogarden on the left side of the library.
http://kojects.com/2016/08/22/seoul-...-7017-preview/
Old August 31st, 2016, 03:00 PM   #50
kimahrikku1

CNN Money with a nice video introducing the project

Old August 31st, 2016, 03:52 PM   #51
Shenkey

Likes (Received): 2035

without bike paths this is useless

inno4321 liked this post
Shenkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2016, 05:15 AM   #52
kimahrikku1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenkey View Post
I disagree. For a couple of reasons:
- The slope can get fairly steep to get on the ramp and onto the overpass. That would be a big no-no for many riders. Especially since public bikes in Seoul (ddareungi) are not high-performance bikes and a slight slope can be difficult to climb for casual bikers
- The surrounding area is not bicycle friendly. Historic Seoul has some bicycle friendly roads, but they're usually located a bit more up North (Cheonggyecheon, Gwanghwamun...). Around Seoul Station, it is mostly a maze of 2x5 roads and I don't feel many bikers would feel too much at east with the idea of biking aroud there
- Having a bike path would defeat the purpose of the park. The park is as large as the road was, so only about 6-8 meters large. If you have to put a bike path in the middle, you'll be left with only a narrow path for pedestrians on one side of the road, and those pedestrians wouldn't feel all that comfortable with bikes speeding next to them. It would not be very leisurely at all

I'm not saying that the park will be a success (especially since I don't really like the design chosen, with its round concrete circles), but although promoting bicycle use in Seoul is great, I don't think Seoul Station 7017 is the good platform to promote this cause.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 02:48 PM   #53
georgetgonzales
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Just recently, Seoul opened to the public a Seoul Station 7017 preview
georgetgonzales no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2016, 03:52 PM   #54
inno4321

Likes (Received): 12429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenkey View Post
Yes absolutely you are right
This ridiculous walking overpass useless
Recently Joungguchungjang who mayor of junggu district worry about that "it become headache structure"
those area island I'll not go there. sunshine directly shine from above head and dirty smog came from below car road. also when earthquake hit ground then too many people will be endanger their life.
only seoul mayor like that because he want to president of korea.

"Theory of Quantum Mechanics, theory of Inflation, M-theory imply Multiverses. Probably We're a part of Infinity&Nothing" inno4321

Last edited by inno4321; September 25th, 2016 at 03:59 PM.
inno4321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2016, 04:30 PM   #55
kimahrikku1

Project has now officially be named: Seoullo 7017
Seoullo can either mean (shitty pun alert) "To Seoul" or "Seoul Street", while as you might know, 7017 is a mix of the years 1970 (the year the overpass was built) and 2017 (the year the park project will be completed).

Photo of the construction:

http://www.hankookilbo.com/v/2b12240...6ca13f14434b84

http://cafe.daum.net/skyscrapers/9144/41448
Old October 19th, 2016, 09:05 PM   #56
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1027

Ugggghhhh what is it with crappy slogans and names for things? What was wrong with Seoul Station 7017? I admit that a big part of the difficulty, as a native English speaker is trying to make Seoul-ro roll of the tongue, given the lack of clear distinction between "R" and "L" sounds in Korean and the presence of a clear distinction in English and Western languages (though it sounds quite nice if you pronounce it in the proper Korean way), but this isn't technically a -ro (street) as no cars are allowed on it, and people who don't know any Korean are going to think that it's a pun on the English "Hello", when it isn't one.

Pick an audience, whichever audience, and work with its expectations; don't try to satisfy everyone. That never works.

brianmoon85 liked this post
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 05:17 AM   #57
kimahrikku1

http://blog.naver.com/choikioh/220850200163
Old November 12th, 2016, 08:44 AM   #58
Tend
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

Super!Thanks for the photo!
Tend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2016, 03:18 PM   #59
humptydumpty7

Likes (Received): 4627

Nice update!
"Seoullo" is not that bad in my opinion. At least its not "I Seoullo U".
And the two "L" in the logo look like two walking legs...but i'm undecided if that's actually creative or cheesy
Old November 14th, 2016, 05:08 PM   #60
kimahrikku1

Quote:
Originally Posted by humptydumpty7 View Post
Nice update!
"Seoullo" is not that bad in my opinion. At least its not "I Seoullo U".
And the two "L" in the logo look like two walking legs...but i'm undecided if that's actually creative or cheesy
Well, since they're turning everything under the I XXX U catchphrase, I'm sure we'll get I Seoullo U at some point. I don't have much of a problem with the name. Yeah... it's kind of dumb and cheesy, but it's easy to memorize and makes sense. My issue is more with the logo, because I think it looks like some turn-of-the-century cheap-ass Mom-and-Pops-store logo. But better screw up the logo than the name, I guess