daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2017, 12:16 PM   #81
kimahrikku1

Likes (Received): 7002

I think it's terrible as well. It looks disgusting, and if it rains, it will actually be even worse and stink. It fits terribly with either the old Seoul Station and the new park.

I'm getting very cautious about this project. As I said back in the days, I love the idea, but I thought the selected architectural plans lacked vegetation and had too much concrete. I still believe the same thing today. We'll see, but we're only 6 days away from the opening.
kimahrikku1 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2017, 07:21 PM   #82
hateman

Likes (Received): 1803

The profusion of circular planters with purple/blue lighting looks gauche and unnatural. A warmer light would make it much more appealing at night.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 12:16 PM   #83
humptydumpty7

Likes (Received): 4627

apparently there will be trampolines in the middle of the overpass

sources:
http://crembel.blog.me/221005908824
http://homibike.blog.me/221005820517

Official advertising for the project.
In the video the overpass looks quite unfinished to me
Old May 15th, 2017, 03:09 PM   #84
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1029

I'll second hateman's comment about the lighting. That kind of lighting belongs inside or outside nightclubs, not along public walkways; it's quite harsh on the eyes. I also think that the concrete is...a bit much. Couldn't they have paved it with bricks or something else? Granting that these are ultimately minor issues that can be addressed any time, it's still disappointing to see the overpass reopened when it doesn't seem to be the best it could be.

Having walked along the Highline Park in New York which inspired this project, it seems that the designers or planners missed the appeal of it--it's a spot of nature in the midst of a metropolis. This project just doesn't feel like that.

humptydumpty7, kimahrikku1 liked this post
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 09:53 AM   #85
kimahrikku1

I don't mind the lighting all that much. I'll have to see for real, but for me that's not a red flag. It kinds of looks like Amsterdam's red-light district rather that the Milky Way, but I'll let it slide.

The "Shoe Tree" exhibition (which is scheduled to be taken away on May 29th anyway), is getting absolutely hammered by citizens online. It's now on Naver portal's homepage, and the backlash keeps coming.
https://t.co/RKf5Qo85jK

Now I'm actually rooting for heavy rain over the past few days to ruin the project's launch and cool down Mayor Park's ambition.

As far as the overall project, I remain very skeptical, because it looks like an endless line of flower pots. There will be a couple of interesting things to look out for on opening day:
- How convenient are the access points and do they make people want to go up on the overpass. They're building a small park at the main access point West of the station, and I'm also curious about the catwalks linking the park with buildings
- What are the activities on the park? We've heard about the shops and stuff, but it remains to be seen how it will actually be once the park opens
- I'm sure on opening day it will be a half-disappointment for many people, because it's far too much concrete and not enough wood/plants. How about they replaced the Shoe Tree with an actual wall of vegetation? How about covering the flower pots with wood planks. How about we had patches of grass to walk on? These are the exact ame concerns I had about 2 years ago and expressed on this very thread.

The good news is that I believe my reaction is shared by many people. So there will be demands for a greener Seoul 7017 project. We've seen that out of the 17 months of construction or so, no more than a few weeks have been dedicated to the vegetation. So it probably means that it wouldn't be too difficult to add some more fairly easily and with only a small fraction of the initial project's budget.
Old May 16th, 2017, 11:56 AM   #86
humptydumpty7

Quote:
How about covering the flower pots with wood planks.

They are installing at least some wood planks, but by far not enough in my opinion:

There's just too much plain, cold concrete in my opinion.
Maybe it will look better once the trees and bushes start growing so that there will be more green to see...
Old May 17th, 2017, 06:04 AM   #87
inno4321

Likes (Received): 12444

free image uploading

Quote:
Originally Posted by cestlavie24 View Post
Shoes wall?
too digusting
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimahrikku1 View Post
I think it's terrible as well. It looks disgusting, and if it rains, it will actually be even worse and stink. It fits terribly with either the old Seoul Station and the new park.

I'm getting very cautious about this project. As I said back in the days, I love the idea, but I thought the selected architectural plans lacked vegetation and had too much concrete. I still believe the same thing today. We'll see, but we're only 6 days away from the opening.

That is What i said before long time ago Don't you remember?
I said "I will not go to this ugly irrational structure.
But nobody listening my opinions

But Now in NAVER/DAUM(KOREA GOOLGE) 90% korean comment disgusting this weird structure.

Ya. I know this Seoul mayor worst anti develop in city.
those shoes spent about $ 100 thousand tax for shoes symbolic art!! only 9 days? ha ha

Not to mention concrete ugly tree pot too. He speak always environmentalism first and plant rice in the middle city and make beekeeping on the roof of city hall.
But look what he made in over pass surface.

it is artificial concrete pot! people who go there just fish!! Fish in concrete pot! what a philosophy!!
but I'm not fish but human who thinking. So I'll go to LWT 555M or han river park rather than this concrete jungle.

If I'm mayor I would just plant tree on there rather than concrete pot.

like this this worst mayor. RUINED Seoul City with crazy city planning.

But I'm glad that about two thing.

One is people realized that worst mayor's ridiculous behavior
other is New mayor will elected as new rational person rather than this
So pity seoulites. If they listen my voice they would not choose this man as leader.
deserve it for themselves

"Theory of Quantum Mechanics, theory of Inflation, M-theory imply Multiverses. Probably We're a part of Infinity&Nothing" inno4321

Last edited by inno4321; May 17th, 2017 at 06:32 AM.
inno4321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 07:15 AM   #88
kimahrikku1

You're the one changing your mind. That's what you posted two months ago. So now you're backtracking again, which is your right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inno4321 View Post
This project only one achievement by now seoul mayor.
I admit it. This project only great and deserved for seoul.
I can do better management seoul city's develop policy than this seoul mayor.
Now Seoulites understand that now mayor worst ever. So now days his approval rating bottom!
How lazy he was!!! What can we do? This is our reflection. the other side of seoul's quality.

But as for myself, I've always had pretty much the same opinion:
I think on paper it's a good idea, can help revitalize the neighborhood, improve pedestrian traffic and create a new and unique attraction. But I've been skeptical on the design the whole time, because it looks a bit half-assed and has a boring flower pot pattern with not enough vegetation all around.

So as the project stands today (and before actually visiting it), I don't think it's gonna be so good when it opens. But there is still some potential for the park, and adding vegetation is the easiest and cheapest part of the project. I know that Seoul officials have been listening to comments from citizens about the project and are open to evolution if there's a need. So if citizens are dissatisfied, SMG might do some additional construction in a couple of months.

Especially since this is Mayor Park's pet project, so I don't think he wants this project be a failure ahead of the 2018 local elections. And as I've mentioned for 50 times, I don't support Mayor Park and I'd be very happy to see him leave office next year. Doesn't mean I have to say everything SMG has been doing over the past 6 years is trash.
Old May 17th, 2017, 09:34 AM   #89
inno4321

Now mayor's all thing is trash
$ 170 thousands monster stature built by order now mayor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimahrikku1 View Post
You're the one changing your mind. That's what you posted two months ago. So now you're backtracking again, which is your right.

But as for myself, I've always had pretty much the same opinion:
I think on paper it's a good idea, can help revitalize the neighborhood, improve pedestrian traffic and create a new and unique attraction. But I've been skeptical on the design the whole time, because it looks a bit half-assed and has a boring flower pot pattern with not enough vegetation all around.

So as the project stands today (and before actually visiting it), I don't think it's gonna be so good when it opens. But there is still some potential for the park, and adding vegetation is the easiest and cheapest part of the project. I know that Seoul officials have been listening to comments from citizens about the project and are open to evolution if there's a need. So if citizens are dissatisfied, SMG might do some additional construction in a couple of months.

Especially since this is Mayor Park's pet project, so I don't think he wants this project be a failure ahead of the 2018 local elections. And as I've mentioned for 50 times, I don't support Mayor Park and I'd be very happy to see him leave office next year. Doesn't mean I have to say everything SMG has been doing over the past 6 years is trash.
Yes sometimes NERO emperor also has a good for rome who think his supporter.

you should understand "TIME" back ground situation why I admit that this project great for seoul and changed my critical mind.
At That time i heard Seoul+SK government try to make Huge Seoul station buried underground project from Seoul station to youngsan and Norangjin. Before you get same information through public news paper.
I always get top information through my personal channel
So As you did inform and paste that news few days ago in many other seoul thread.(seoul city/seoul subway/korea subway etc)
But I already know that information ahead before public open by news paper. So at that time i get inform and I so exciting that and admit this project.
Whichmean I like this project not this concrete over pass is good or great but more huge project is prepare due to this project.
Cause that New buried underground project possible this ridiculous over pass.

Yes. Now mayor don't want to fail this project. this project is just small pieces a part of huge grand design which "Seoul station buried underground project".
in short I never like or admit this project but I like and very exciting "NEW Seoul station buried project" which begin due to this project.

"Theory of Quantum Mechanics, theory of Inflation, M-theory imply Multiverses. Probably We're a part of Infinity&Nothing" inno4321

Last edited by inno4321; May 17th, 2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old May 17th, 2017, 09:56 AM   #90
humptydumpty7

According to an article there are plant seeds in every single shoe, so maybe in a few days it will look better haha
Old May 18th, 2017, 05:28 AM   #91
inno4321

Quote:
Originally Posted by humptydumpty7 View Post
According to an article there are plant seeds in every single shoe, so maybe in a few days it will look better haha
Yes. It would be more look better when plant rise up in shoes.
BTW According to the internet user those shoes is public open shoes shop.
which mean homeless people go to shoes and take it off from shoes tree and put that own feet and checking proper size and go away with shoes.

Public Muilti Free shoes shop.

humptydumpty7 liked this post
Old May 19th, 2017, 04:02 PM   #92
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1029

That's kind of what I thought it might be for, which is a good thought, but really....This is the way we're going to open up a new park?

We're all going to have to give this park some time to straighten up for it to be an appealing place to be.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 06:51 AM   #93
kimahrikku1

Now completed

So the park opened yesterday.

Around 150,000 (wow!) persons visited it and it was very crowded.

The overall reaction seems to have been positive. They were some less positive feedback as well, including the Shoe Tree thing, lack of vegetation/too much concrete, some unfinished construction as well.

It will be interesting to see how it goes going forward. The project was heavily touted and advertised by SMG, so it's not a surprise that it had many visitors on Day 1. We'll have to see whether it's sustained in the long term and if people keep coming to the overpass purposefuly.
Old May 21st, 2017, 05:17 PM   #94
kimahrikku1

So, I went there today myself to get my own opinion about the project.

I must say that overall, I was pretty pleasantly surprised. One good thing is that structurally, the overpass looks very fresh, repainted and sound, so a look of structural work has been done. The catwalks with the two buildings on Toegyero are really great and the insides of the buildings have been rebuilt with nice plazas and coffee shops and stuff.
The vegetation is not as liking as I feared. I think more is needed, and replacing some concrete with patches of grass would be a welcome addition, but it still allowed for a nice experience.

The section straight over the tracks is the one with more "rows" of flower pots, but the trees there are big trees that are still young. So in a few years, this section should look better.

I think the parks underneath the bridge (in front of the old station, across the station in Mangri-dong...) could have used ore vegetation as well.

And "shoe tree" is indeed very weird. Most people weren't as shocked as we feared they would had, but that's still something that needs to be removed and replaced by something with actual vegetation.

So I'd give the project a B-. Not a masterpiece, but I think it does the job and most people will come to appreciate it.

Here are some of my pictures. You be the judge:

Old June 6th, 2017, 10:39 AM   #95
jumpjack

Likes (Received): 73

In Italy (Rome) we have a similar ancient overpass ("tangenziale" o "sopraelevata"), so I am very interested in this project: how was this thing managed? If the road has been closed, the traffic must have been redirected somewhere else.... Where? Is there any document explaining how the Skygarden was born and designed? A previous Major proposed such a reuse of the Rome overpass, but without an alternative plan for traffic, this would have very bad consequences on the city!
jumpjack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2017, 05:12 AM   #96
inno4321

I was go there.
I saw some dirty beggar mockery foreigners tourist and say "helow"
It a shame.
in the capital's main station there are many beggar!!
It was just ordinary over pass. But good place for see night seoul landscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpjack View Post
In Italy (Rome) we have a similar ancient overpass ("tangenziale" o "sopraelevata"), so I am very interested in this project: how was this thing managed? If the road has been closed, the traffic must have been redirected somewhere else.... Where? Is there any document explaining how the Skygarden was born and designed? A previous Major proposed such a reuse of the Rome overpass, but without an alternative plan for traffic, this would have very bad consequences on the city!
I agree
Unfortunately there are no substitute road.
but seoul mayor push up project.
So many merchandiser who work in nearby endure reduce profit
and many taxi driver complain about that.
But there is no plan to built other proper raod in there