daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 7th, 2015, 04:33 AM   #1
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 551

NEW YORK | American Museum of Natural History - Gilder Center

American Museum Of Natural History Reveals Its "Thrilling" Expansion Design

View from Columbus Avenue:

Current American Museum of Natural History layout:

Layout after Gilder Center is complete:

From Gothamist:
American Museum Of Natural History Reveals Its "Thrilling" Expansion Design

Quote:
The American Museum of Natural History has finally settled on a "conceptual" design for its planned expansion, and its president raved about the plans in both a statement and in a letter to museum members. Emphasizing that the $325 million Gilder Center expansion "will connect, for the first time, several of the Museum’s existing galleries," President Ellen Futter said, "Jeanne Gang's thrilling design facilitates a new kind of fluid, cross-disciplinary journey through the natural world while respecting the Museum's park setting."
The museum, situated on the Upper West Side at Central Park West and West 79th Street, is surrounded by 17-plus acres of Theodore Roosevelt Park. The AMNH has been planning an expansion to coincide with its 150th anniversary in 2019. It is one of the largest museums in the world, as well as a research and education facility, with scientists discovering that fossils in Texas are actually from a 300 million year old "supershark"—or explaining what are or aren't bed bugs to us.
According to its press release about the expansion, the museum explains,"At a time of urgent need for better public understanding of science and for greater access to science education, the Gilder Center will offer visitors, including the general public and school groups, new ways to learn about science and to share in the excitement of discovery. To ensure that the next generation has the skills and imagination for scientific innovation, the Gilder Center will provide interdisciplinary learning spaces that place STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) and other educational experiences in the context of world-class scientific research and collections."
The NY Times' Robin Pobegrin opines that the design, by Jeanne Gang, "evokes Frank Gehry’s museum in Bilbao, Spain, in its undulating exterior and Turkey’s underground city of Cappadocia in its cavelike interior." The museum explains, "[Gang] saw an opportunity to reclaim the physical heart of the Museum and to complete connections between and among existing Museum galleries and new space, leading to a conceptual design that includes links to 10 Museum buildings through 30 connections."

“We uncovered a way to vastly improve visitor circulation and Museum functionality, while tapping into the desire for exploration and discovery that are emblematic of science and also part of being human,” said Gang, in the museum's release. “Upon entering the space, natural daylight from above and sightlines to various activities inside invite movement through the Central Exhibition Hall on a journey towards deeper understanding. The architectural design grew out of the Museum’s mission."
Renderings show that besides the natural, cave-like interior walls and bridges (which will be load-bearing), the design will expand into Theddy Roosevelt Park at West 79th Street. The museum notes, "Approximately 80 percent of the 218,000-square-foot project will be located within the area currently occupied by the Museum, creating vital connections throughout the complex. Three existing buildings within the Museum complex will be removed to minimize the impact on land that is now open space in Theodore Roosevelt Park to about 11,600 square feet (approximately a quarter acre)."

A group, called Defenders of Teddy Roosevelt Park, has strongly opposed the AMNH's expansion in the green space. But Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer told the Times, "They heard that we want as little of the park as possible to be the footprint," and seemed pleased that the new structure will be the same height as the surrounding museum.

However, the Teddy Roosevelt Park advocates are not happy, and released this statement:
Quote:
The American Museum of Natural History has finally presented the design for its proposed massive expansion into Theodore Roosevelt Park at 79th Street. While the plan would take less parkland than originally indicated by the museum, the extensive loss of green space and mature trees - along with other important issues - is still cause for deep concern

We certainly will examine the AMNH plan carefully. However, we have opposed any loss of parkland and trees because the endangered site is such a precious community gathering place. We also are concerned about the added congestion in a crowded neighborhood, the impact on the environment and the precedent of taking parkland for museum purposes. Where will that end?

— Defenders of Teddy Roosevelt Park Inc.
For those who know the park well, the expansion will cut into the area where the New York Times Capsule, designed by Santiago Calatrava, sits. The museum hopes to win approval from the Landmarks Commission for the design, which would allow it to begin construction in 2017 and complete it by 2020.

WR HEARST, 8166UY, Sukino, tius86 liked this post

Last edited by Riley1066; August 26th, 2017 at 01:12 PM.
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2015, 04:43 AM   #2
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10374

WOW. Beautiful!

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 05:09 AM   #3
Riley1066

Yeah I think this is going to be a great addition to the museum ... really helping integrate the various exhibit halls. And it seems to respect Theodore Roosevelt Park too.

WR HEARST liked this post
Old November 7th, 2015, 05:36 AM   #4
Riley1066

Existing Museum view ... the Gilder Expansion will be at the right:

WR HEARST, BLACK DAHLIA liked this post
Old November 7th, 2015, 07:04 PM   #5
MiguelAlves
BANNED

Likes (Received): 213

A concrete jungle.
MiguelAlves no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 09:57 PM   #6
Riley1066

Museum view with Central Park West at the bottom and Columbus Avenue on top:

WR HEARST liked this post
Old November 8th, 2015, 02:10 AM   #7
Riley1066

Unfortunately I don't live in NYC so taking regular pictures of this project as it goes on isn't something I'll be able to do.

Hopefully we'll get some of the NYC skyscrapercity regulars to keep tabs on it?

Some current photos of the Columbus Avenue side of the Museum and Theodore Roosevelt Park would be a good place to start.

Old November 11th, 2015, 03:12 AM   #8
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4187

When they actually start some work on it, I will probably be here quite regularly. Until then, don't expect much. See the link to my blog in my signature for the many other extensive photo updates of the NY Metro cities and very recently, Philly.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

Riley1066, BLACK DAHLIA liked this post
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 07:28 PM   #9
Riley1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
When they actually start some work on it, I will probably be here quite regularly. Until then, don't expect much. See the link to my blog in my signature for the many other extensive photo updates of the NY Metro cities and very recently, Philly.
That's great news ...
Old November 17th, 2015, 05:51 PM   #10
Riley1066

The Museum's official page about the project:

http://www.amnh.org/about-us/richard...and-innovation
Old November 17th, 2015, 06:08 PM   #11
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I just love that interior.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2015, 10:17 PM   #12
Riley1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I just love that interior.
Its got a lot of potential to be great yeah.
Old June 19th, 2017, 08:17 PM   #13
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

American Museum of Natural History is a symbol of scientific superiority of America.
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 07:26 AM   #14
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4187

Have they started anything over here?

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 11:19 AM   #15
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

American Museum Of Natural History’s Gilder Center Expansion Ready To Move Forward, Upper West Side

The proposed Richard Gilder Center for Science, Education, and Innovation at the American Museum of Natural History. Rendering by Studio Gang Architects

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York YIMBY
Back in October of 2016, YIMBY reported on the Landmarks Preservation Commission’s approval of plans for the American Museum of Natural History’s expansion, which has been dubbed the Gilder Center. Now, permits for the project have been filed with the Department of Buildings, indicating that work is about to begin on the contemporarily-minded addition to one of New York City’s most iconic institutions.

The address on the filing is 200 Central Park West, and the Museum sits between West 77th and West 81st Streets, on the Upper West Side. The addition will be located on the western side of the Museum, taking up space that was intended to hold parts of the original masterplan, which was not completed.

Jeanne Gang is behind the design, which will certainly contrast against the existing architectural language of the site. While the LPC is busy finagling details on mega-mansions and townhouse expansions, it seems slightly uncharacteristic for something so jarringly dissimilar to the site’s original intended design to gain approval, but New York City’s landmarks approval process is not exactly known for its logic or common sense...
Read More: http://newyorkyimby.com/2017/08/amer...west-side.html

Museum of Natural History expansion, rendering by Studio Gang Architects

American Museum of Natural History’s original plan, RIP

yeisson liked this post
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 10:39 PM   #16
Riley1066

I'm glad my original post was still editable ... Gothamist has changed its URLs since I posted it ...
Old August 27th, 2017, 02:12 AM   #17
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Amazing interior space!
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote