daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2007, 08:13 AM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18209

Indonesia's Women-Only Buses

Indonesian firm launches women-only buses

JAKARTA, Feb 19, 2007 (AFP) - An Indonesian company has launched a women-only bus service, believed to be the first in the world's largest Muslim-populated country, a report said Monday.

Five buses would initially serve a new route in Pekanbaru, capital of Riau province on the island of Sumatra, the Kompas newspaper said in its online edition.

PT Riau Kencana Madani launched the service to provide women with a safe mode of transport that would also protect them from sexual harassment, as frequently happened on regular buses, it quoted company president Deddy Mizward as saying.

While accepting only female passengers, the buses would still be driven by men as Mizward said they had so far failed to recruit any women willing to work as drivers.

Most Indonesian Muslims, accounting for more than 80 percent of the country's some 214 million people, follow a moderate form of Islam.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2007, 08:14 AM   #2
vid

Likes (Received): 921

"Arab men are horny like cats. I blame the women!" -Nutter.
Old February 21st, 2007, 08:07 PM   #3
thainotts

Likes (Received): 8

Indonesians aren't Arabs.
"สมบัติชาติ" ถ้าคนไทยบริหารแล้วห่วยลงๆ สู้ขายให้นายทุนฝรั่งมาบริหารยังจะดีกว่า เขาจะเอาออกนอกประเทศก็ไม่ได้ แถมการแข่งขันในตลาดเสรีก็ช่วยพัฒนา "สมบัติ" นั้นๆ อีกด้วย ....​ อย่าให้คนไทยกันเองดอง "สมบัติชาติ" จนมันเน่าเลยดีกว่า
thainotts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 08:20 PM   #4
n4m3l355

Likes (Received): 0

hehe they aren't arabs indeed.
Though I wonder if this bus-line is a step forward for the society. Imo its just walking back in time where woman and men are seperated and aren't allowed to get in touch. Instead of fixing the problem (ie abuse the harassers) they make a work-around. But then I dont think a moslim society in a porer region allowes equality between the sexes.
n4m3l355 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 08:47 PM   #5
Naga_Solidus

Likes (Received): 3

This isn't exclusive to Islamic countries. Japan has a similar system on some trains, where the first car on the Tokyo metro is women-only during rush hour.

I'm not justifying this or sexual harrasment, nor do I wish to condemn the former.
Old February 21st, 2007, 08:57 PM   #6
Karakuri
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Yeah, in Japan, morning and late evening trains and metros have women-only cars, because there are too many perverts in packed trains.
For this reason I think it's a good idea, otherwise women entering an almost empty train always go sit down on the seat next to a woman, in order no to have an empty seat on their side.
For religious reasons? This is in my opinion not good at all...
Karakuri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 09:50 PM   #7
liliib
I love this planet

hmm, may its also a good idea for megapolis like Tokyo, Sha
nghai, etc.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 02:24 AM   #8
forrestcat

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Imo its just walking back in time where woman and men are seperated and aren't allowed to get in touch. Instead of fixing the problem (ie abuse the harassers) they make a work-around. But then I dont think a moslim society in a porer region allowes equality between the sexes.
Just because men/women segregated in bus don't mean they segregate outside the bus meh

Indonesia is not even an Islamic country and dun practice Islamic laws.

Another reason Japan also provide women only coaches is because women complain that men always use (brute) physical force to get places in trains. I believe it is the same in Jakarta.

Even as a KLite,I often see women(including non-Muslims) prefer to skip congested LRTs and wait coz the men always push them around.
forrestcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 03:55 AM   #9
Moyete

Likes (Received): 1

Women-only cars in Mexico City subway are used in the morning and late evening too.
Moyete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 01:01 AM   #10
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Interesting. I'm surprised they don't have this in places that are more religiously conservative.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #11
indistad
leiden-yogyakarta

I'm still worried at the implication of these small things though. We've been having a pretty sudden 'Arabization' of our country; with stricter Islamic laws that are just ridiculous and stupid being imposed on small regencies. I don't think it'll ever come to an Islamic revolution, but it just worries me sometimes..

Voltaire
indistad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:39 AM   #12
vid

Likes (Received): 921

Quote:
Originally Posted by thainotts View Post
Indonesians aren't Arabs.
You are correct, and I am embarrassed for not noticing that.

It was in reference to an Australian Muslim who said something along the lines of Muslim men not being able to control their sexual urges, making it the womans fault if she is raped. It is basically comparing Muslim men to animals, which is disgusting.

Segregation of sexes isn't going to solve anything, it's the men who are responsible for controlling their sexual urges. Here, to prevent things like that, we have more security at bus terminals, and cameras are being installed on buses to catch any sexual offenders.
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #13
G.N
extremely flammable

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyete View Post
Women-only cars in Mexico City subway are used in the morning and late evening too.
plus the same in Japan, Indonesia...

seriously? I'm absolutely suprised! It's something totally unimagineable for me!!!

OMG!!!
Old March 1st, 2007, 11:40 AM   #14
peseg5
SSC Indonesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
You are correct, and I am embarrassed for not noticing that.

It was in reference to an Australian Muslim who said something along the lines of Muslim men not being able to control their sexual urges, making it the womans fault if she is raped. It is basically comparing Muslim men to animals, which is disgusting.

Segregation of sexes isn't going to solve anything, it's the men who are responsible for controlling their sexual urges. Here, to prevent things like that, we have more security at bus terminals, and cameras are being installed on buses to catch any sexual offenders.
Vid, there's no segregation of sexes, they just provide women-only bus to prevent sexual harassment, unless the offender is from the same sex. Until now, there's no man-only bus on the region. If you called it that this becoming segregation of sexes, then there must be a man-only bus. The fact no! So this is not becoming what we called segregation of sexes. Here, man and women are equally treated.

Don't ever generalize Muslim as an Arabs because a Muslim is not always an Arabs, and an Arabs is not always a Muslim. And don't relating what you mentioned to every Muslim men, as I state before don't too easy of generalize things...

peseg5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 05:37 AM   #15
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18209

Most women approve of female-only buses
5 April 2008
The Jakarta Post

Nearly all female busway passengers support the plan by busway operator TransJakarta to allocate buses exclusively for women, a survey revealed Thursday.

The Institute of Transportation Studies (Instran) found in its survey that 90.2 percent of the 853 women interviewed agreed with the plan, while 5.6 percent opposed it.

The remaining 36 respondents or 4.2 percent had no opinion on the matter.

"Most of the arguments in favor of the plan cited safety and comfort," Instran researcher Dharmaningtyas told a press conference.

Only 68.1 percent of respondents said they would definitely take the special bus while 27.5 percent said they would first see how the plan worked. The other 4.4 percent said they would not take the women-only buses.

The survey was conducted between March 29 and 31 on board buses along the seven existing corridors.

According to Dharmaningtyas, 75.45 percent of the respondents who supported the plan believed the special buses would free them from pickpockets and sexual harassment.

Respondents opposing the plan urged the city-owned busway operator to provide good services equally to both men and women.

Most of the respondents interviewed also suggested the administration improve services, the number of buses and headway time.

Acknowledging the limited size of the bus fleet, TransJakarta chairman Dradjad Adhiyaksa said providing women-only buses would not affect busway operations.

"It's just a matter of passenger management ... part of our effort to improve services," he told the joint press conference.

"The survey results will be reported to Governor Fauzi Bowo, who has the last say on its implementation," he said.

The plan was made following complaints from some female passengers during peak hours, when they were at risk of sexual harassment in packed buses.

In the pilot project plan, Dradjad said, a ratio of 3:1 would be used along Corridor I (Blok M in South Jakarta to Kota in West Jakarta), with one women-only bus for every three mixed buses.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2015, 01:37 PM   #16
Losbp

Likes (Received): 5455

INDONESIA | Urban Transport Compilation

Indonesia

Metro/Light Metro Projects

JAKARTA

ErwinFCG

MRT

LRT

SURABAYA

gazart

Tram and Monorail

PALEMBANG

LRT

BANDUNG

Cable Car

Monorail

Transport for Jakarta - FDTJ
Drove in RI AUS NL L B F D CZ A

dimlys1994 liked this post
Losbp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2015, 01:56 PM   #17
paradyto
entendre privilege

LRT Palembang

Waskita to develop LRT in Palembang for Asian Games

Quote:
State-run construction company Waskita Karya will develop a light rapid transit (LRT) system in Palembang, South Sumatra, next year after its appointment by the government to lead the Rp 7 trillion (US$518.62 million) project.

Waskita corporate secretary Antonius Yulianto confirmed the company had been appointed by the Transportation Ministry to work on the LRT and was currently formulating a budget proposal for the high-profile project.

The proposal, he said, would be submitted in three months at the latest, and approval was expected to be granted by the ministry around one month later.

“The construction is expected to conclude in June 2018, before the start of the Asian Games,” Antonius said.

Palembang, along with Jakarta, will host the regional multi-sporting event from Aug. 18 through Sept. 2, 2018.

Antonius added that the LRT would connect Sultan Mahmud Badarudin II international airport to Jakabaring Sport City, with a stop at Palembang Grand Mosque.

Waskita was appointed through a presidential regulation which was signed in late October. The estimated project cost of Rp 7 trillion will be funded by the state budget through the Transportation Ministry.
source: http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2...ian-games.html

LRT Palembang progress....

source: http://sumsel.tribunnews.com/2015/11...mulai-dibangun

dimlys1994 liked this post
paradyto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2015, 02:03 PM   #18
Losbp

BRT

TransJakarta
TransJakarta Busway by Adriansyah Yasin, on Flickr

Trans Metro Bandung
Bandung City Buses by Adriansyah Yasin, on Flickr

Trans Jogja

Trans Semarang
Trans Semarang by Adriansyah Yasin, on Flickr

Batik Solo Trans

Trans Pakuan - Bogor

Trans Sidoarjo

Trans Sarbagita - Denpasar

TransMusi - Palembang
Palembang by Adriansyah Yasin, on Flickr

Trans Bandar Lampung

Trans Metro Pekanbaru

Trans Padang

Trans Mebidang - Medan

Trans Mamminasata - Makassar

Transport for Jakarta - FDTJ
Drove in RI AUS NL L B F D CZ A

dimlys1994, antoinetonee liked this post
Losbp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2015, 09:03 PM   #19
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26142

Nice thread, thanks

Last edited by dimlys1994; November 30th, 2015 at 09:50 PM.
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 01:02 AM   #20
Losbp

Palembang LRT Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by =NaNdA= View Post
Udpate pembangunan stasiun Jakabaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by =NaNdA= View Post
Update pembangunan depan punti kayu

Quote: