daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2016, 08:01 AM   #21
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

Likes (Received): 4346

When I test rode the Sendai Tozai Line two months ago, I received a bag from them. Never really looked in it until today. Some nice diagrams of the train and stations

Note that Aobayama station is very deep down, 6 floors down! The next station is Yagiyama which is the highest subway station in Japan, but its not as deep

Note that the Tozai line car is smaller than the Nanboku line

Svartmetall, dimlys1994, Sr.Horn liked this post
RyukyuRhymer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2016, 10:10 AM   #22
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

i finally had time to make detailed scans, and here they are

Svartmetall, dimlys1994, Sr.Horn liked this post
Old April 15th, 2016, 06:57 AM   #23
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

Sendai Station recently re-opened the S-Pal side of the station as well as the bullet train entrance. It felt like it was under construction forever!

There are many more stores now, even within the ticketing gates!

Many stores around Sendai Station have more or less moved into the new floors in Sendai Station.

The Sendai Subway lines Nanboku and Tozai
as well as JR East's Tohoku Main Line, Joban Line, Shinkansen lines, and the Airport line converge in this station

Before there were only two entrances/exits for the Shinkansen and one for all the other regular JR lines (two for the Senseki Line). This caused a lot of crowding. However both the shinkansen and normal JR lines have a new SPal exit. People coming in or going to the shopping areas, or Yodobashi Camera will like this new part

Svartmetall, dimlys1994, CP11 liked this post
Old April 15th, 2016, 01:34 PM   #24
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8773

Looks like a very good renovation! Japan really does have some of the nicest main stations in the world - especially when I compare them to how some are over here...
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 03:57 PM   #25
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

I saw on the tv news on Sendai Hoso,
the Tozai line now makes up for 15% of the rail passenger traffic in Sendai.
Old June 8th, 2016, 08:51 PM   #26
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8773

That is impressive growth. Shows the demand was there. Any chance of using that as impetus to build further lines do you think?
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2016, 04:39 AM   #27
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
That is impressive growth. Shows the demand was there. Any chance of using that as impetus to build further lines do you think?
I think it would be nice to extend either lines or add new ones, but not sure how they should go about it. Sendai is only a city of roughly 1 million people and the two lines hit most of the major commercial (downtown Sendai and Nagamachi) and education areas (all major universities in the prefecture except for two). The inter-city JR East Senzan and Senseki hit other areas and beyond.
The only areas that have considerable population but no access to any rail are the large bedroom communities north of Izumi station (see below), the rest of Yagiyama, and the area west of Nagamachi.

I also recently learned two interesting things about station selection for the Tozai line.

According to a professor here. The choice for Renbo was controversial because there was an argument between two local top tier high schools that wanted it closer to their campus. In the end Sendai Ikko won, which is why Renbo station is in front of the school. It was argued that many of the people planning the line were graduates of that school and influenced its selection.
That's why the Tozai line, while straight for the most part, suddenly goes southwards.

Second is Arai. I rode the entire line and went to every station when I was invited for a test-run. There's absolutely nothing in Arai. Just farm land, a few houses, and a large road. The professor said that the line was planned before 2011, so they had intended for Arai to be re-developed into a new commercial area. However after the tsunami, Arai was re-zoned to limit development because it is close to a flood area

you can see in the map above, half of Arai is in the peach colored section (area 2). Arai station itself is at the border of area 2 and the normal area.
Old June 12th, 2016, 09:11 AM   #28
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 456

To that end, there is a large museum dedicated to the tsunami in Arai station; I visited and covered it for work.

The city wants to wait until the 3 zoned flood wall is in place before they develop around Arai station. The historical tsunami marker and shrine from 700 years ago is about 300 meters east from there so they're confident about being able to still developed around that zone.

dimlys1994, RyukyuRhymer liked this post
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 09:20 PM   #29
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

New E721-1000 series cars, being transported from the J-TREC’s Niitsu plant to the Yokohama plant (2016.09.22). The cars will be coupled with new end cars being produced at the Yokohama plant into two new four-car consists. The new series features several improvements over existing stock (701 series and 719 series), including greater capacity, more comfortable seating, all-LED lighting systems (resulting in a 40% reduction in electricity consumption compared to existing fluorescent lighting), and a lower car floor that better matches platform height. JR East is producing 19 sets (76 cars) total this year, which will be used on JR East lines in the Sendai area including the Tōhoku Line, Jōban Line, and Senzan Line. The first new cars will debut in November of this year.

dimlys1994, Svartmetall liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote