daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2015, 05:50 PM   #21
Cobblepot

Likes (Received): 1160

It's basically a box decorated with ornaments, looks simple to me. Miss some nice setbacks for example. Don't see any excitement in this building, however, some parts are nice.

Zaz965 liked this post
Cobblepot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2015, 07:11 PM   #22
3tmk
Rusty Robot

As ugly and out-of-place it would be... I must admit it looks strangely convincing up close.
Perhaps a smaller scale elsewhere in Manhattan could be a good field-test, if a developer wishes to undertake the risk.
Old December 8th, 2015, 07:34 PM   #23
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57848

Trumpire Style?

After all I see this similar to a bloated showcar on some exhibition. You know it likely won't look like that if it ever enters a market, but it inspires, impresses and has potential to let more interesting designs enter the mainstream.

I'd be happy to see some of Eagle Tower's elements on a new luxury tower in the area, as we've read there's a lot to come.

I agree the design would profit from one or two actual setbacks, but then again its a really tiny potential construction lot. Anyway, I think this has some inspiring power that clearly will affect future projects. The beginning of new ornamentation is already there and its about time, architecture literally means "the _art_ of building/construction".

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by erbse; December 8th, 2015 at 07:40 PM.
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 01:04 AM   #24
The Cake On BBQ
Moderatör

Likes (Received): 8463

They should get rid of those disproportional wings in the middle and then it would be just perfect.
Old December 9th, 2015, 01:13 AM   #25
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5135

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapece View Post
please don't compare a masterpiece like the Sagrada familia to this kitsch monstruosity.
What architectonical attributes make Sagrada Familia a masterpiece? Other than the great innovation and complexity Gaudi's designs supposed at the time, I just see a big termite mound.

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★

Zaz965 liked this post
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 01:54 AM   #26
moionet

Likes (Received): 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
After all I see this similar to a bloated showcar on some exhibition. You know it likely won't look like that if it ever enters a market, but it inspires, impresses and has potential to let more interesting designs enter the mainstream.
Anyway this event will make the designer more famous for a couple of minutes
moionet está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 01:55 AM   #27
Crowns n' Spires
Archivar

Likes (Received): 756

Skopje, is that you?

Well, seriously: It got some nice details, which I'd like to see beeing build on other towers, but alltogehter,
its not verry balanced. Especially the big eagels, pointing out, halfway up, are destroing any flow. There is no
real conneciton between the big ornaments and the plain glass pieces. Altough I see, how this is inspired by
some Art Deco Art pieces, the big difference is, that those are two dimensional, this one got to much of an 3D shape.

Last edited by Crowns n' Spires; December 9th, 2015 at 02:17 AM.
Crowns n' Spires no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 01:58 AM   #28
erbse
LIBERTINED

It's sculpturesque. Similar to a Totem Pole, much

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...are_-_1907.jpg

Zaz965 liked this post
Old December 9th, 2015, 02:17 AM   #29
Crowns n' Spires
Archivar

Likes (Received): 756

YES!
Indeed.
Old December 9th, 2015, 02:22 AM   #30
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5755

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapece View Post
please don't compare a masterpiece like the Sagrada familia to this kitsch monstruosity.
That's your opinion. Art is all opinion. I for one hate Sargada but this, I can't say I like, but I don't hate it. It's pure uniqueness makes me want to see it built.
Old December 9th, 2015, 02:23 AM   #31
mapece

Likes (Received): 521

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cake On BBQ View Post
They should get rid of those disproportional wings in the middle and then it would be just perfect.
mapece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 02:31 AM   #32
mapece

Likes (Received): 521

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGA196 View Post
What architectonical attributes make Sagrada Familia a masterpiece? Other than the great innovation and complexity Gaudi's designs supposed at the time, I just see a big termite mound.

I don't know, but I know the fact that from the first time I saw it my mind was blown away because of its beauty.
Anyway the termite mound is a good comparison, I thought also of the effect you have when you build a sand castle with the wet sand. The organic aspect was something very deliberate I guess, and it's a big part of its appeal to me (it's sad that they are ruining it).
mapece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 04:55 AM   #33
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10268

Truly gorgeous! Build it New York!

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 10:55 AM   #34
hordak1975

Likes (Received): 253

I can't say if I like it: but it's definitely interesting... in fact I would love to see some ornamentations on contemporary, glassy architecture that is producing way too many bland buildings.

Who knows; I guess on a not so distant future - thanks to the progress with 3D printing technology - we'll have the opportunity to build such residential towers, and ornate architecture will be ready for a comeback

Last edited by hordak1975; December 9th, 2015 at 11:02 AM.
hordak1975 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 12:28 PM   #35
MojoRisin123

Likes (Received): 85

It looks like some strange building from a japaneese anime.
Old December 9th, 2015, 03:03 PM   #36
hellolazyness

Likes (Received): 113

What's really exciting is the ideas behind it as erbse says. Like those mad fashion show concepts. It's one of the most interesting concepts I've seen as long as I remember, I do hope this can be the start of a truly new 21st century dawn of skyscraper design that harks back to what took millennia of aesthetic practice to refine.

erbse, Chimer, Zaz965 liked this post
hellolazyness no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 08:51 PM   #37
AUTOTHRILL
chill

Likes (Received): 1936

the glass ruins it. make it a stone clad tower with the same detailing and we can talk.

erbse, Zaz965 liked this post
AUTOTHRILL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 09:51 PM   #38
erbse
LIBERTINED

I agree it would be more fitting on a stone-clad tower. I guess this was supposed to highlight the following though:

"Gage says constructing entire surfaces of ornament is entirely possible since by making things robotically you can create forms with an unlimited amount of detail at the same price as doing something flat."
http://www.6sqft.com/could-this-othe...o-57th-street/

So by putting ornaments on a regular flat glass tower the effect comes out better.
Just for visualisation purposes.

Chimer, Zaz965 liked this post
Old December 9th, 2015, 10:38 PM   #39
AUTOTHRILL
chill

Likes (Received): 1936

i predicted this a while ago erbse. the advent of 3D printing, now in its nascency, will hit its stride in a decade or so and then its only a matter of time before intricacy and ornament return, and detailed streetscapes are reborn.

i mean, when faced with choice of a bland boxy building, or a detailed one for cheap, what would any normal person choose? i also think its a matter of the architectural profession often being unwilling to indulge in what they see as pastiche. with 3d printing, design faithful to classical proportions will be much more economically viable, and eventually more prevalent in cities. once it becomes the norm, more and more practises will break out of their modernist shackles and we can start to see an invigorated architectural profession.

erbse, hellolazyness, Zaz965 liked this post
AUTOTHRILL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 10:58 PM   #40
Union.SLO
Existere et persistere

Likes (Received): 2043

Very intriguing, I must say. Especially in the picture where juxstapositioned with the 432 Park Avenue. The contrast between the two slender towers could hardly be more striking, each standing on the opposite side of its architectural doctrine, augmented to the very extremes.

And to my eyes they both fail aesthetically as they are both overdone in their own way. 432 would've been a nice simplistic tower if built half as tall, but with the realised proportions it still hasn't grown on me and probably never will. And the Eagle tower... Well, it's just all balled up and the mishmash of all those heavy ornaments on such a slim tower indeed makes it look like a super-sized totem pole.

Nonetheless, I find this 'steampunk Neo-Art-Deco' approach definitelly interesting and hopefully we'll see more ideas and concepts of that kind in the future. The tower as a whole is certainly not to be built, it's visionary with compilation of some cool details that can serve as a basis for further studies.

erbse, Crowns n' Spires, Zaz965 liked this post
Union.SLO está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
art deco structures, central park south, midtown, new york city, revolution