daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Your favorite skylines
Toronto 112 55.45%
Vancouver 65 32.18%
Calgary 60 29.70%
Montreal 44 21.78%
Mississauga 14 6.93%
Edmonton 11 5.45%
Quebec City 6 2.97%
Niagara Falls 6 2.97%
Winnipeg 6 2.97%
Halifax 6 2.97%
Ottawa 6 2.97%
London 5 2.48%
Burnaby 4 1.98%
Victoria 4 1.98%
Regina 3 1.49%
Hamilton 3 1.49%
Saskatoon 2 0.99%
Others 1 0.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 27th, 2016, 05:24 AM   #521
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkitexture View Post
Thanks, Douglas Coupland, for the awful designed park and random canoe.
We have a problem designing nice parks. The old ones around town are decent (Allan Gardens, Queen's Park, Edwards Gardens) but most of the one's built in the last 30-40 years leave a lot to be desired. They lay down some concrete/tarmac paths, install some benches, lay sod and think they've done a good job. Can we not get a well renowned landscape architect to do them? Most of them look like they just got some city workers to head to the nearest nursery and picked out some things they liked.

The quality of design in Toronto keeps getting better but some of our green spaces just don't measure up. It's all so low brow and uninspired. Stuff like this might pass muster in Oshawa or Vaughan but not in Toronto itself.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; May 27th, 2016 at 05:30 AM.
isaidso está en línea ahora  

Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2016, 06:02 AM   #522
Jaborandi

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
We have a problem designing nice parks. The old ones around town are decent (Allan Gardens, Queen's Park, Edwards Gardens) but most of the one's built in the last 30-40 years leave a lot to be desired. They lay down some concrete/tarmac paths, install some benches, lay sod and think they've done a good job. Can we not get a well renowned landscape architect to do them? Most of them look like they just got some city workers to head to the nearest nursery and picked out some things they liked.

The quality of design in Toronto keeps getting better but some of our green spaces just don't measure up. It's all so low brow and uninspired. Stuff like this might pass muster in Oshawa or Vaughan but not in Toronto itself.
I quite like Corktown Common and the Music Garden. What I don't like is this disturbing trend to use gravel instead of sod. One may as well park oneself on a milk crate in a Walmart parking lot. Hmmm, nothing smells quite as intoxicating as freshly raked gravel, especially after a light summer rain.

Arkitexture, isaidso liked this post
Jaborandi no está en línea  
Old May 28th, 2016, 12:57 AM   #523
Arkitexture

Likes (Received): 2425

Allan Gardens could do with some TLC, but the surrounding area as well requires gentrification.

The nicest parks downtown IMO are St James Park and Queen's Park. Corktown common isn't bad.

And is it too much to ask for some flowers and cultivated gardens? I think the city is too cheap to pay for the upkeep, but we all reap the benefits of beautiful green spaces. Another thing we do too often is throw up baseball pitches - how many do we really need?
Arkitexture no está en línea  
Old May 28th, 2016, 05:21 AM   #524
Jaborandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkitexture View Post
Allan Gardens could do with some TLC, but the surrounding area as well requires gentrification.

The nicest parks downtown IMO are St James Park and Queen's Park. Corktown common isn't bad.

And is it too much to ask for some flowers and cultivated gardens? I think the city is too cheap to pay for the upkeep, but we all reap the benefits of beautiful green spaces. Another thing we do too often is throw up baseball pitches - how many do we really need?
Yes, St. James Park is quite beautiful. I go to Queen's Park nearly every morning and sit in the shadow of the horses ear as I sip my coffee, feed the birds and people watch. It's a very busy place with all of the students, tourists and locals walking their dogs and their kids.

Arkitexture liked this post
Jaborandi no está en línea  
Old May 28th, 2016, 10:19 PM   #525
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaborandi View Post
I quite like Corktown Common and the Music Garden. What I don't like is this disturbing trend to use gravel instead of sod. One may as well park oneself on a milk crate in a Walmart parking lot. Hmmm, nothing smells quite as intoxicating as freshly raked gravel, especially after a light summer rain.
I love Corktown Common and the Music Garden. You're right about those 2. What do you think of June Callwood Park? I like that they used strong colour but it doesn't work for me as a reprieve from the city. Maybe when the trees grow in a little more it will improve so I'll reserve judgement for now.

June Callwood Park

Can we not build stuff like this. It's old but we can build something just as elegant and beautiful ....surely?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

jdcwave liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; May 28th, 2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old May 28th, 2016, 10:52 PM   #526
Jaborandi

Quote:
I love Corktown Common and the Music Garden. You're right about those 2. What do you think of June Callwood Park? I like that they used strong colour but it doesn't work for me as a reprieve from the city. Maybe when the trees grow in a little more it will improve so I'll reserve judgement for now.

June Callwood Park

Can we not build stuff like this. It's old but we can build something just as elegant and beautiful ....surely?

I shall have to check out June Callwood Park before commenting though it seems to me that if you are going to use an aggressive colour like hot pink, perhaps lime green might be more successful.

Alas, I can't see our Parks Dept. creating anything as tranquil and serene as the images you posted. I wish. Is anybody, anywhere still designing parks like that?
Old May 29th, 2016, 08:41 PM   #527
Arkitexture

When I was in Madrid a few years ago there was this beautiful new park down by this river running through the city. Very modern, very cool. Cities still are building nice urban retreats.

I'm actually happy with the June Callwood park, in that at least it looks like the city tried something new / creative.

I'm remiss in not saying that I think they did a good job with Sugar Beach. I forgot about it, as I didn't really consider it a park, but perhaps it should count. Even still, a huge fuss was raised about the price of the umbrellas. Typical Toronto. We need to break free!

Sugar Beach
by aida_dasilva, on Flickr

Pink and Blue Beach
by Sam Javanrouh, on Flickr

bodegavendetta, KlausDiggy liked this post
Old May 29th, 2016, 09:13 PM   #528
isaidso
the new republic

It's good to see the city willing to experiment and I do like Sugar Beach quite a lot. Where else can one sit on a 'beach' with a view of a massive cargo ship unloading just 50m away? I hope they never get rid of that sugar refinery. Some think it's ugly but I find it awesome.

That said, I don't like sanitized cities.

Quote:
I shall have to check out June Callwood Park before commenting though it seems to me that if you are going to use an aggressive colour like hot pink, perhaps lime green might be more successful.

Alas, I can't see our Parks Dept. creating anything as tranquil and serene as the images you posted. I wish. Is anybody, anywhere still designing parks like that?
Lime green and hot pink? I'd need sunglasses even in winter time.

Regarding those old traditional parks, tons of people appreciate/love them so I imagine there are lots of people still interested in building them. Strangely, for all the parks we do have we don't have a single one like those places I posted. I thought that surely by now we'd get 1 or 2 like that in the core but I'm still waiting.

Old May 29th, 2016, 11:53 PM   #529
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31669

Toronto, ON

Toronto Skyline .... Toronto, Ontario, Canada by Greg's Southern Ontario (catching Up Slowly), on Flickr
JuanPaulo no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2016, 11:55 PM   #530
Jaborandi

Quote:
Lime green and hot pink? I'd need sunglasses even in winter time.
No, no. You misunderstand. Not lime green and hot pink but lime green instead of hot pink. The former would be way too reminiscent of some of the hallucinogenics I ingested in younger days. That said, I'm very fond of the waterside promenade that extends east from Sugar Beach. I try to park myself on one of those wonderful benches overlooking the water at least once a week. I especially like it when the sun is reflecting off the water. I discovered that if one concentrates on the flashes only and ignore the water background, it is like watching a fireworks display. The longer you watch, the intensity and speed of the flashes increases. It's an interesting example of looking at life through a different lens.
Old June 1st, 2016, 10:53 PM   #531
elliot

Likes (Received): 32

JuanPaulo - absolutely stunning photo JP. One of the best I've seen in years. Cheers.

JuanPaulo liked this post
elliot no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2016, 12:27 AM   #532
isaidso
the new republic

Long time, no see.

Quote:
No, no. You misunderstand. Not lime green and hot pink but lime green instead of hot pink. The former would be way too reminiscent of some of the hallucinogenics I ingested in younger days. That said, I'm very fond of the waterside promenade that extends east from Sugar Beach. I try to park myself on one of those wonderful benches overlooking the water at least once a week. I especially like it when the sun is reflecting off the water. I discovered that if one concentrates on the flashes only and ignore the water background, it is like watching a fireworks display. The longer you watch, the intensity and speed of the flashes increases. It's an interesting example of looking at life through a different lens.
I practice squinting ... but usually when City Place comes into view. Btw, I love that promenade as well. Was there on Sunday and Monday.

Old June 2nd, 2016, 02:53 AM   #533
ainvan

Likes (Received): 17045

Neon City by CJ Burnell, on Flickr
ainvan no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2016, 07:19 PM   #534
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55221

Metrotown Burnaby

IMG_0725 by Yellow Fever @ SkyscraperCity, on Flickr

JuanPaulo liked this post
Yellow Fever no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2016, 06:55 AM   #535
ainvan

Likes (Received): 17045

Calgary, 1980 and 2015

Aerial View of Calgary, Alberta, Canada by Striderv, on Flickr

cowtown from the air by Dolan Halbrook, on Flickr

Arkitexture, bodegavendetta liked this post

Last edited by ainvan; June 7th, 2016 at 07:14 AM.
ainvan no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2016, 08:09 AM   #536
isaidso
the new republic

Calgary's a very impressive place. I wouldn't be surprised to see it become the biggest city in the West one day.

Old June 9th, 2016, 02:46 AM   #537
Arkitexture

Toronto
by rodneygaviola, on Flickr
Old June 9th, 2016, 03:55 AM   #538
softee

Likes (Received): 74

That 1980 picture of Calgary is more like 1970.
Old June 13th, 2016, 06:10 AM   #539
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12185

Some good new Toronto shots:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainvan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainvan View Post

hidden city. by Javin Lau, on Flickr

Summertime, and the livin's easy!

Quote: