daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Your favorite skylines
Toronto 112 55.45%
Vancouver 65 32.18%
Calgary 60 29.70%
Montreal 44 21.78%
Mississauga 14 6.93%
Edmonton 11 5.45%
Quebec City 6 2.97%
Niagara Falls 6 2.97%
Winnipeg 6 2.97%
Halifax 6 2.97%
Ottawa 6 2.97%
London 5 2.48%
Burnaby 4 1.98%
Victoria 4 1.98%
Regina 3 1.49%
Hamilton 3 1.49%
Saskatoon 2 0.99%
Others 1 0.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 25th, 2016, 09:25 AM   #681
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12276

I'm trying to figure out what that classical building in the midground is!

Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2016, 12:07 AM   #682
Jaborandi

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
I'm trying to figure out what that classical building in the midground is!
I'm guessing St. Ann at Gerrard and Degrassi. The building in the foreground would be the No Frills on Pape just north of Gerrard.

Last edited by Jaborandi; November 26th, 2016 at 12:16 AM.
Jaborandi no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2016, 01:34 AM   #683
Union Man
Interstellar

Likes (Received): 3666

Does anyone have a list on all 100m+ or skyscrapers (150m+) that are U/C in Toronto?

It must rival New York with its current building frenzy and would be good to see how it compares with other Western cities.
Union Man no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2016, 02:12 AM   #684
ainvan

Likes (Received): 17130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Man View Post
Does anyone have a list on all 100m+ or skyscrapers (150m+) that are U/C in Toronto?
According to SSP, 58 U/C and 168 proposed 100m+:

200m+ U/C

150-200m U/C

100-150m U/C

Union Man liked this post

Last edited by ainvan; November 26th, 2016 at 05:22 AM.
ainvan no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2016, 04:32 AM   #685
Kiwaliti1

Likes (Received): 175

Edmonton's skyline is pretty neat. Is there any new building in the Edmonton being built?
Kiwaliti1 no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2016, 05:03 AM   #686
ainvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwaliti1 View Post
Edmonton's skyline is pretty neat. Is there any new building in the Edmonton being built?
Yes, 3 U/C

Source: SSP

Kiwaliti1 liked this post
ainvan no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2016, 09:18 AM   #687
Sheema

Likes (Received): 133

I'm always impressed with just how good Calgary skyline is for a city of it's size..it's a better skyline than alot of bigger cities.

All Canadian skylines look different to me which I like .. maybe because such a vast country .
Sheema no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2016, 11:03 AM   #688
PsyLock

Likes (Received): 458

Wished there were some signature towers in each skyline. I think thats the only thing that separates CAN and US skylines.
PsyLock no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2016, 02:24 PM   #689
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10969

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyLock View Post
Wished there were some signature towers in each skyline. I think thats the only thing that separates CAN and US skylines.
The lack of signature towers might have to do with how small most Canadian cities are. Canada really only has 4 big skylines and 1 of them is in a metro of only 1.4 million people. That's barely larger than Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Calgary, Montreal, Mississauga, and Toronto have signature towers. Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Quebec City, Ottawa, Niagara Falls, London, KW, Halifax, Victoria, Saskatoon, Regina, Windsor, and Oshawa are all waiting for their first but all of these places except for 2 are very small metros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheema View Post

All Canadian skylines look different to me which I like .. maybe because such a vast country.
Interesting. I can tell a Canadian skyline from one somewhere else but I suppose that's because I've looked at so many photos over the years. There is a lot of diversity due to the size of the country but there's also a common aesthetic.

They're all built on a north American grid with a dominant office cluster. The towers cross architectural trends from the 1960s to present. There are buildings from 1880-1970 but they're largely hidden from view. Most skylines will have an observation tower and the bigger cities are seeing lots of condo tower construction.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; November 26th, 2016 at 02:34 PM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2016, 02:46 PM   #690
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:

It must rival New York with its current building frenzy and would be good to see how it compares with other Western cities.
For 5-6 years Toronto had the most 100m+ buildings under construction in the western world by a long shot but New York is now #1. Judging by the proposal list, Toronto might take the lead again soon.

This is a list of 100m+ buildings under construction in various cities in the West:

New York 95
Toronto 61
London 39
Tokyo 37
Miami 28
Vancouver 21
Chicago 18
Melbourne 18

This is a list of 100m+ buildings proposed in various cities in the West:

Toronto 194
New York 114
London 88
Miami 80
Melbourne 56
Chicago 37
Vancouver 34
Tokyo 16

Toronto includes Mississauga and Vancouver includes Burnaby, New Westminster, Surrey, and Port Coquitlam. It's taken from SSP

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; November 26th, 2016 at 06:24 PM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2016, 06:07 PM   #691
Union Man
Interstellar

Likes (Received): 3666

Thanks for the replies ainvan and isaidso.

The tall building boom in Toronto is remarkable and should not only cement its place in the top 10 best skylines of the world, but rival and replace many in that category. Are the builds predominantly residential or office led, maybe even a mixture?

Your list is a good record, it's refreshing to see Western cities as we are so use to seeing emerging counties rising exponentially. Just to add London has 39 U/C and 88 approved/site prep/proposed 100m+.

Last edited by Union Man; November 26th, 2016 at 06:15 PM.
Union Man no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2016, 06:22 PM   #692
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Thanks for the replies ainvan and isaidso.

The tall building boom in Toronto is remarkable and should not only cement its place in the top 10 best skylines of the world, but rival and replace many in that category. Are the builds predominantly residential or office led, maybe even a mixture?

Your list is a good record, it's refreshing to see Western cities as we are so use to seeing emerging counties rising exponentially. Just to add London has 39 U/C and 88 approved/site prep/proposed 100m+.
Despite Toronto's 9 year highrise boom the skyline has tread water on a quantitative basis. It hasn't risen up the rankings or slipped. The reason has been the meteoric rise of Asian skylines. That said, the proposals now on the table might suggest that the level of activity in Toronto will move from frenetic to an absolutely blistering level.

It's too early to tell but if it gets built Toronto should do precisely what you're saying. It will cement its place in the top 10 and supplant some incumbents. Canadians have longed for a giant metropolis of their own to rival New York, London, Paris, Tokyo. Toronto (and region) is still a work in progress but it looks like we're on our way to realizing that goal.

The construction has been overwhelmingly residential but what it's done is fuel an office tower boom. People want to live downtown but they also want to work downtown to avoid commutes.

SSP has a great database but it does have some weaknesses. Some Asian cities are vastly under counted and that London figure looked suspiciously low. Thanks for the correction. I'll edit the number above as I'm pretty sure your number is more accurate.

Last edited by isaidso; November 26th, 2016 at 06:28 PM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2016, 10:19 PM   #693
ainvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Calgary, Montreal, Mississauga, and Toronto have signature towers. Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Quebec City, Ottawa, Niagara Falls, London, KW, Halifax, Victoria, Saskatoon, Regina, Windsor, and Oshawa are all waiting for their first but all of these places except for 2 are very small metros.
Vancouver has a signature tower, sorta, the twisted Trump Tower. It's unique in North America but kinda short to stand out.

ainvan no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2016, 10:29 PM   #694
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

vancouver has strict rules on cladding and height limits so that is essentially the best Vancouver will get. You essentially cannot build taller than 200m.. Same with Montreal, which tops out just over 200m.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2016, 11:23 PM   #695
isaidso
the new republic

Things change. Today there's a 200m limit but that doesn't mean Vancouver will always have one. That said, Vancouver will build taller than 200m off the peninsula.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainvan View Post
Vancouver has a signature tower, sorta, the twisted Trump Tower. It's unique in North America but kinda short to stand out.
That's how view it too. Vancouver sorta has a signature tower.

isaidso no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2016, 01:58 AM   #696
Dean

Likes (Received): 914

Quote:
For 5-6 years Toronto had the most 100m+ buildings under construction in the western world by a long shot but New York is now #1. Judging by the proposal list, Toronto might take the lead again soon.

This is a list of 100m+ buildings under construction in various cities in the West:

New York 95
Toronto 61
London 39
Tokyo 37
Miami 28
Vancouver 21
Chicago 18
Melbourne 18

This is a list of 100m+ buildings proposed in various cities in the West:

Toronto 194
New York 114
London 88
Miami 80
Melbourne 56
Chicago 37
Vancouver 34
Tokyo 16

Toronto includes Mississauga and Vancouver includes Burnaby, New Westminster, Surrey, and Port Coquitlam. It's taken from SSP

Melbourne currently has 40 buildings UC over 100m, 7 of these are over 200m.

There are currently 171 buildings over 100m UC/Approved/Proposed atm.
Dean no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2016, 02:45 AM   #697
Stringpicker

Likes (Received): 264

Quote:
Quote:
Despite Toronto's 9 year highrise boom the skyline has tread water on a quantitative basis. It hasn't risen up the rankings or slipped. The reason has been the meteoric rise of Asian skylines. That said, the proposals now on the table might suggest that the level of activity in Toronto will move from frenetic to an absolutely blistering level.

It's too early to tell but if it gets built Toronto should do precisely what you're saying. It will cement its place in the top 10 and supplant some incumbents. Canadians have longed for a giant metropolis of their own to rival New York, London, Paris, Tokyo. Toronto (and region) is still a work in progress but it looks like we're on our way to realizing that goal.

The construction has been overwhelmingly residential but what it's done is fuel an office tower boom. People want to live downtown but they also want to work downtown to avoid commutes.

SSP has a great database but it does have some weaknesses. Some Asian cities are vastly under counted and that London figure looked suspiciously low. Thanks for the correction. I'll edit the number above as I'm pretty sure your number is more accurate.
While in the main I agree with the above quotes IMHO Toronto does not rate among the world's top ten skylines for two reasons. 1) Height. There are a great many cities around the world with skylines that include supertall skyscrapers. Toronto has a long held tradition of scaling back 300m+ proposals. The most often quoted reason for the diminution is that really tall buildings cast shadows. Apparently the darkened areas where the sun cannot penetrate based on cramming somewhat shorter buildings really close together in Toronto aren't shadows but rather some other less offensive mysterious anomaly of hidden light. 2) Architecture. An inordinate number of new towers in Toronto fall into the green glass condo box category. That said, there are signs of improvement with the addition of the L Tower, Aura, One Bloor and the Ice Condos. Just my two cents.

Last edited by Stringpicker; November 27th, 2016 at 05:09 AM.
Stringpicker no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2016, 02:51 AM   #698
isaidso
the new republic

Well it would be really boring if we all agreed on a top 10. In the end it's someone's opinion so there is no incorrect top 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Melbourne currently has 40 buildings UC over 100m, 7 of these are over 200m.

There are currently 171 buildings over 100m UC/Approved/Proposed atm.
The data is from SSP so it relies on people there keeping things up to date. I'm a big fan of Melbourne. It seems destined to follow in Toronto's footsteps and could start popping up in lots of people's top 10. It's a city in rapid ascension.

isaidso no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2016, 04:38 AM   #699
Dean

Likes (Received): 914

Quote:
The data is from SSP so it relies on people there keeping things up to date. I'm a big fan of Melbourne. It seems destined to follow in Toronto's footsteps and could start popping up in lots of people's top 10. It's a city in rapid ascension.
Yeah i wasn't having a dig at you. There's virtually no Aussies left at the old SSP so it's understandable that data there is out of date.

Just to give you an idea on the construction activity here, the 40 100m+ and 7 200m+ UC figures are more than ALL other Australian cities combined. So we're the toronto equivalent over here.
Dean no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2016, 05:10 AM   #700
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 56023

people still hang around in SSP? I've quitted posting there since 2008.
Yellow Fever no está en línea  

Closed Thread