daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2005, 03:16 PM   #41
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpels
in Portugal we still use the same rule of bell tower, churche and vitrals like in the past but with new materials and designs, soon we have a new basilica in glass front of the old Sanctuary of Fatima, but is so ugly this new basilica , in new areas new temples I agree with you too, they are the future monuments.
S,this situation in Portugal is like Turkey. I tried to explain the reason here. But how is the reason in Portugal?
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2005, 03:38 PM   #42
DENIZLI

Likes (Received): 52

Merhaba Kuvvaci,

konu ile alakasi yok ama meraktir sormadan edemeyecegim,
sabahtan beri yeni Avatarindaki resim cok ilgimi cekti... acaba neyin nesidir ?

cevab alabilirsem sevinirim
selam
DENIZLI
DENIZLI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2005, 04:51 PM   #43
Arpels
Αλέξανδρος

Likes (Received): 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuvvaci
S,this situation in Portugal is like Turkey. I tried to explain the reason here. But how is the reason in Portugal?
the reason is the tradition the tower bell for exemple is onli to remember the peole that is a churche.
Arpels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2005, 05:11 PM   #44
KMFDM
Sucks!

Likes (Received): 2

In the U.S. many universities have "worship centers" that embrace all religions. I wonder if this is possible in Europe. I found the idea very democractic when I first saw a worship center. Most European countries are still concentrated on one religion within their boundaries (unlike the U.S. where different faiths finally have large numbers of followers). As Europe follows in the "new world"s footsteps towards multi-culturalism, do you think we can have multi-religion complexes or does each religion have unique requirements in the area of places of worship? We would not be stuck in classical styles if that were the case and each center could have unique architecture, just like in an office building or any other secular establishment.
Old March 21st, 2005, 10:38 PM   #45
Arpels
Αλέξανδρος

have "worship centers" that embrace all religions in Europe to me is a good idea and a way to figth the stereotypes but is dificult man, is more easy in America because there you have milions of people from all religions and the people values come first. if you are a good professional no mather what religion you have, in Europe is diferent because you have a big religious communities and a strong one with a lot of accumulate esteriotypes througt centurys.
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:16 PM   #46
space_invader

Likes (Received): 0

nurbeyev of khazakstan has just recently commissioned Norman Foster to design a multi-faith glass pyramid.

arpels: alvaro siza designs some pretty cool churchs in portugal does he not? for some reason i also think he has designed a church for two different denominations and the internal plan can be re-arranged to accomodate the differing religio-spatial requirements.

kmfdm: church plans do have different spatial requirements from mosques: all the se-chapels, confession boxes etc. (regarding catholicism anyway) - but in essence i don't see why worship centres shouldn't work in europe. most clear minded, confident religious people are tolerant and respectful other faiths. The problems would no doubt come from political motivators. the question, for me, however, is why bother having them? Secular environments such as cinemas, sports venues, parks etc. are public places where different peoples can gather.
space_invader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 01:22 AM   #47
SinCity
Streetwalker

Likes (Received): 101

Very beautiful buildings!
SinCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 05:25 AM   #48
Sarajka

Likes (Received): 6

What about ours, in Bosnia-Herzegovina?

Most of them were built during the Ottoman Empire but what style are they? Do you like them?

Sarajka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 05:47 AM   #49
Ozcan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Thanks Mila beautiful
Ozcan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 12:01 PM   #50
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2718

do you have mosques with +2 minartes?

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 12:16 PM   #51
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mila
What about ours, in Bosnia-Herzegovina?

Most of them were built during the Ottoman Empire but what style are they? Do you like them?

Size is not important, but proportion is really important and these mosques have really good proportion. Do you have new mosques Mila?
Old March 22nd, 2005, 12:19 PM   #52
Kuvvaci
Strange User

@DENIZLI, my avatar isofficial logo of World Basketball Championship 2010-Turkey
Old March 22nd, 2005, 05:52 PM   #53
DENIZLI

Likes (Received): 52

cevap icin,

Thank you very much !

Last edited by DENIZLI; March 22nd, 2005 at 05:57 PM.
DENIZLI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 07:44 PM   #54
Sarajka

We have some with more than one, yes - but these are, generally speaking, modern mosques. The Bosniak people are, also generally speaking, not very fond of them.

"Magnificent Mosques for hungry people!" was the headline after the war. People questioned the motives of the Saudis and others who constructed these huge mosques with absolutely none of our traditional architecture, and separate entrances for women. Most Bosniaks turned against them.

That said - King Fahd al'Saud Mosque in Sarajevo is the largest mosque in Europe - so there are people willing to worship in such a forum as well.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 08:00 PM   #55
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mila
We have some with more than one, yes - but these are, generally speaking, modern mosques. The Bosniak people are, also generally speaking, not very fond of them.

"Magnificent Mosques for hungry people!" was the headline after the war. People questioned the motives of the Saudis and others who constructed these huge mosques with absolutely none of our traditional architecture, and separate entrances for women. Most Bosniaks turned against them.

That said - King Fahd al'Saud Mosque in Sarajevo is the largest mosque in Europe - so there are people willing to worship in such a forum as well.
I heard that Saudi Wahabis destory old Mosques in Bosnia and build their Arabic mosques wich are not suitable to Bosnia, history of Bosnia, and tradition of Bosnia. I can't believe that biggest mosque of Europe is in Bosnia. Don't you consider, thr mosques of Istanbul and Edirne?
Old March 22nd, 2005, 08:10 PM   #56
Sarajka

I imagine those who say it is the biggest in Europe do not include Turkey.

Old March 23rd, 2005, 06:56 PM   #57
Indexi

I don't like that mosque Mila..I find it ugly
Indexi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 07:11 PM   #58
Allan
Strength and Honour

Why do the saudis have to mess things up all the time?

"The greatest way to live with honour in this world is to be what we pretend to be." (Socrates)
Allan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 09:38 PM   #59
Arpels
Αλέξανδρος

I like the Bosnian Mosquees too, small in relation to Turkish Mosquees but very elegant to, thaks to share Mila
Old August 15th, 2006, 05:58 AM   #60
Knigh+

I think Shah Faisal Mosque deserves a mention here. It is the largest mosque of the world, designed by a Turkish architect, with Saudi funding, with an architecture jumping out of a science fiction movie.

http://www.islamicarchitecture.org/a...salmosque.html

Also the Mihrimah Mosque is very significant, as it is (I think) the lightest masonry dome ever built (the walls are nothing but windows). Mihrimah was the Ottoman princess with whom Architect Sinan was in love, so Urban Girl's "looks like princess" is exactly what Sinan had in mind. Mihrimah was married to the grand Vizier, so Sinan expressed his feelings in his most precious design. Geniuses have feelings too
Knigh+ no está en línea   Reply With Quote