daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2015, 05:38 AM   #1
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

Likes (Received): 1165

NEW YORK CITY | 41 West 57th | 350m | 1150ft | Pro

Could This Otherworldly 102-Story Tower Covered in Ornaments Be Coming to 57th Street?

Quote:
Jaded by glass boxes and architectural imitations of styles gone by? Well this fascinating design by Mark Foster Gage Architects is sure to turn your architectural world upside down. Here’s our first look at their 102-story residential supertower seemingly flown in from some advanced airborne civilization in a galaxy far, far away. While details are scarce, this eagle lands in the heart of Midtown’s Billionaires’ Row along West 57th Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues.

The whimsical design is a habitable sculpture of sorts, adorned from top to bottom in ornaments ranging from gears and propellers to an abstracted pair of birds diving in for a landing on two wing-supported balconies. The tower is topped by a temple-like observational platform which is then crowned by a golden wreath-like structure fit for any victorious Roman general.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/newthr...wthread&f=1718

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2015, 05:40 AM   #2
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

Likes (Received): 1165

Really un-sure about this.... Heights are just estimates.

Quote:
Though we are a bit skeptical that Gage’s 41 West 57th design will go forward, the firm’s project page lists its status as “ongoing.” Mark Gage tells us that they must stay mum on the details but the design was commissioned by a developer to see what might be possible in terms of ultra-luxury on that site. The depicted scheme does rise from a legitimate block-through development site comprised of the addresses 41-43 West 57th Street and 50 West 58th Street. The latter address held the home of the national women’s Jewish organization, Hadassah, who sold its building in 2012 for $71.5 million to the mysterious LLC, BOB 57. According to a 2012 Wall Street Journal story, Hadassah can occupy the 60,000 square-foot building for up to three years after the sale date but afterwards the building, along with two others parcels, will be redeveloped into a retail, office, hotel or condominium tower.

Maybe someone with knowledge about NYC can shed some light on this?

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
munchymunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 09:32 AM   #3
Seoul_Korea
Europa

Likes (Received): 2901

It's ugly af.

PROUD TO BE GAY.

7 AUG 2007 - 30 SEP 2014
SNSD without Jessica won't be the same anymore.
Seoul_Korea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 03:31 PM   #4
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

http://www.6sqft.com/could-this-othe...o-57th-street/

Could This Otherworldly 102-Story Tower Covered in Ornaments Be Coming to 57th Street?

Posted On Mon, December 7, 2015 By Ondel Hylton

Quote:
Jaded by glass boxes and architectural imitations of styles gone by? Well this fascinating design by Mark Foster Gage Architects is sure to turn your architectural world upside down. Here’s our first look at their 102-story residential supertower seemingly flown in from some advanced airborne civilization in a galaxy far, far away. While details are scarce, this eagle lands in the heart of Midtown’s Billionaires’ Row along West 57th Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues.

The whimsical design is a habitable sculpture of sorts, adorned from top to bottom in ornaments ranging from gears and propellers to an abstracted pair of birds diving in for a landing on two wing-supported balconies. The tower is topped by a temple-like observational platform which is then crowned by a golden wreath-like structure fit for any victorious Roman general.
Quote:
Mark Foster Gage, who founded the firm bearing his name just one year ago, is a tenured professor and Assistant Dean at the Yale School of Architecture. The radical architect has dreamt up a crop of developments around the city and the world ranging from stores and outfits for Lady Gaga to sleek Manhattan condos. According to his profile page, his approach derives from a seemingly conflicting background of being a protégé of Robert A.M. Stern and a studio assistant to Frank Gehry.

In an INK talks presentation, Gage shares his interdisciplinary design approach that he says has been made possible by the incredible advances in material sciences and fabrication. Gage also presents a competition entry for a Guggenheim Museum in Helsinki, Finland, where a similar looking design to the Central Park tower was produced by downloading dozens of already made 3D models (like tyrannosaurus rex, file cabinets, Mickey Mouses) and recombining them to create a new architectural language. Gage says constructing entire surfaces of ornament is entirely possible since by making things robotically you can create forms with an unlimited amount of detail at the same price as doing something flat.
Quote:
Though we are a bit skeptical that Gage’s 41 West 57th design will go forward, the firm’s project page lists its status as “ongoing.” Mark Gage tells us that they must stay mum on the details but the design was commissioned by a developer to see what might be possible in terms of ultra-luxury on that site. The depicted scheme does rise from a legitimate block-through development site comprised of the addresses 41-43 West 57th Street and 50 West 58th Street. The latter address held the home of the national women’s Jewish organization, Hadassah, who sold its building in 2012 for $71.5 million to the mysterious LLC, BOB 57. According to a 2012 Wall Street Journal story, Hadassah can occupy the 60,000 square-foot building for up to three years after the sale date but afterwards the building, along with two others parcels, will be redeveloped into a retail, office, hotel or condominium tower.
Quote:
A few doors down at 29-35 West 57th Street, Steven Roth’s Vornado Realty Trust is reportedly planning a seven-star hotel, and across 58th Street at 36 Central Park West, a partnership led by the Witkoff Group plans a redevelopment of the Park Lane Hotel into soaring condominium tower. Another tidbit that has been churning in the rumor mill since 2013 is that Michael Shvo has been putting together a deal to build a 100-story tower near Central Park. Coruscant on the Hudson here we come.

hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 03:44 PM   #5
Transhumanista

Likes (Received): 881

Steampunk

Mike____, ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
Transhumanista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 04:11 PM   #6
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4605

These guys took the Gotham theme to the extreme.
So outrageous, i actually like it. This is the kind of different that would spice up the skyline. Too bad it'll never be built.

As for the site, its been rumored for a while that it would be redeveloped, this seems to confirm it. Now when and what it will look like is still a mystery
Old December 8th, 2015, 04:32 PM   #7
geoking66

Likes (Received): 6874

I want their dealer's number, but this is garbage.
Old December 8th, 2015, 04:50 PM   #8
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1028

Ummm...I actually kind of like it. It's crazy.

It doesn't make sense in New York, though. Not that it'd make sense anywhere else, but it really doesn't make sense in this city.
Old December 8th, 2015, 05:14 PM   #9
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3185

WTF
Old December 8th, 2015, 05:37 PM   #10
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25149

Quote:
...While it turns out that the project will not be moving forward, as confirmed by building architect Mark Foster Gage, the design is still worth checking out. The supertall building is adorned with sculptures of eagles and gold paneling, and appears to be topped by a gold watchtower with a golden clock (or a bell depending on how you see it.) It only gets better from there.

While this design—an homage to Art Deco architecture—won't be rising on the site, the fact that the plan exists suggests that someone might be interested in bringing another supertall tower to Central Park South.
Curbed

streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 05:45 PM   #11
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8239

this is just epic. This street has no real balance to me anyway, so let the crazy come, as we saw with the dubai marina, it may turn out pretty cool to have a cluster of crazy towers, sadly this is just a vision though as pointed out before

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965, Buffaboy liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 05:58 PM   #12
danial.z5

Likes (Received): 18

There is not compatible with the urban architecture of nearby buildings. But very impressive design.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965, Buffaboy liked this post
danial.z5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 06:21 PM   #13
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 2435

Why did Hitler come to mind when I saw this !

I don't know how to feel about this tower. However, I must admit , I smiled !

Maybe if it were a very fat building it would look nicer ? have the eagles far apart

Dubai_Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 06:23 PM   #14
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Likes (Received): 1038

Even tho its horrible kitch and "overdesigned" I somehow like it/love it...
This one is Crazy! The top with white and gold is gorgeous...

Mike____ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 06:43 PM   #15
rlw777

Likes (Received): 471

I've always enjoyed the art of Final Fantasy
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 06:49 PM   #16
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Absolutely hiiideouuuussss!!!! this thing is as hideous as it can be... It seems as if Dr (or architect) Frankestein did a mashup with the Chrysler Building, The Ivory Tower and the Sauron Tower and this is the abomination that came up... fortunately this monstrosity won't get built...

CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 08:19 PM   #17
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

I Love It.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 08:41 PM   #18
seb.nl

Likes (Received): 1277

Nicknamed: google dreams of electric sheep mandelbrot final fantasy lord of the rings gotham never ending story dove cliff gaudi temple of zeus tower.

seb.nl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 08:47 PM   #19
Dijk.

Likes (Received): 490

I'll be honest with you, I like it.

And if this tower is done it will be in 1000 movies

chestersim, Eric Offereins, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by 0095914; December 8th, 2015 at 08:52 PM.
0095914 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 08:52 PM   #20
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

I think an ornate building is much needed in this world of monotonous, boring glass buildings being built everywhere. But this isn't it. I'm not a fan of mixing curtain walls with ornamentation. It's gaudy and busy.

royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote