SkyscraperCity Forum banner

LEAKY BUILDINGS | News & Gallery relating to 'Weathertightness' issues

43K views 103 replies 37 participants last post by  Goats in Trees 
#1 ·
With the amount of work this area of Construction has on hand at the moment, the effect on people it warrants a thread of it's own. So lets' have your pictures, comments etc.

I'll start the ball rolling

250 Symonds Street have herd cost blow outs have resulted in decision to demolish.

#4 ·
You must mean 150 Symonds Street, which is under wrapping at the moment:
https://www.google.co.nz/maps/@-36.8619465,174.7614981,3a,75y,125.48h,96.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCbPFUn6TKre48B9K9D8MDA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

(250 Symonds St is the watercare facility)

Discussing redevelopment / refurbishment proposals is fine but I don't think naming and shaming "leaky buildings" and posting rumours is useful.

You have to be very careful to state the facts and not give readers an impression that the property is somehow permanently tainted with "Leaky Building Syndrome."
Negative publicity can adversely affect the livelihoods of the owners, who are enduring enough hardship as it is.
Most of the time these sorts of repairs are superficial, or will result in a very high quality outcome.

#6 ·
With the amount of work this area of Construction has on hand at the moment, the effect on people it warrants a thread of it's own. So lets' have your pictures, comments etc. I'll start the ball rolling 250 Symonds Street have herd cost blow outs have resulted in decision to demolish.
The issue here was fire code not up to date and they are looking to demolish last I heard

#8 ·
Interesting how this will play out, really needs a developer to come on board as a BC won't be able to fund and plan a major redevelopment. No idea what happens in such a situation with all the multiple unit titles which physically no longer exist. Anyone know of any precedents in NZ?

I agree demolition would be ideal and hopefully a much better outcome, more height and better interaction at street level. Apartments in the area are selling for a lot more these days than they were when this was built so I can imagine it would be a desirable piece of land to redevelop.

#16 ·
^^ from the first photo there i thought i was looking at some kind of industrial shed or electric sub station.. Then i saw the open air carpark in front of what looks like apartments. :nuts:

The red colour scheme is not good either. So many issues looking at that complex. They should have just kept it all at one colour. No red or all red. Better still not that colour scheme. My:2cents:

#18 ·
What's going on with the Aotea Centre? This is from the Stevenson Turner website:

S&T, along with The Edge are leading a large-scale renewal of the external building surfaces of one of Auckland’s most recognisable buildings. The Aotea Centre has been an integral part of the City’s landscape since the early 1990’s, but age and end-of-life materials have recently caused wide-spread water ingress issues.

S&T initially undertook an extensive condition assessment report on the building fabric to determine which areas were affected by water ingress. The report also proposed steps forward in remediation.

The second phase of the project included designing repairs to the affected areas, which led to the replacement of roof and façade elements, significantly changing the building aesthetic.

The new design will include a 3000m² green roof, the largest in New Zealand. The existing concrete flytowers will be overclad in coloured stainless steel panels

The project is awaiting consent and construction is to start in 2016.

To this end S&T are addressing the obvious technical aspects to the absolute best practice, and also helping to bring the existing building into the 21st Century and ensure it retains the title of New Zealand’s premier performance arts centre.

Pretty uninspiring, but better than nothing I suppose.

I do like the stalker waiting to ambush in the last render though.

I can't believe there haven't been more lawsuits around leaky buildings. And a big part of the problem is Australian building supply manufacturers who have lawyered up and are screwing their NZ customers

#20 ·
What's going on with the Aotea Centre? This is from the Stevenson Turner website:

S&T, along with The Edge are leading a large-scale renewal of the external building surfaces of one of Auckland’s most recognisable buildings. The Aotea Centre has been an integral part of the City’s landscape since the early 1990’s, but age and end-of-life materials have recently caused wide-spread water ingress issues.

S&T initially undertook an extensive condition assessment report on the building fabric to determine which areas were affected by water ingress. The report also proposed steps forward in remediation.

The second phase of the project included designing repairs to the affected areas, which led to the replacement of roof and façade elements, significantly changing the building aesthetic.

The new design will include a 3000m² green roof, the largest in New Zealand. The existing concrete flytowers will be overclad in coloured stainless steel panels

The project is awaiting consent and construction is to start in 2016.
Surprised this hasn't been in the news more with construction starting this year. This building has always been disappointing.

#19 ·
I have a leaky plaster house.

I bought it in 2004 on the advice from an architect friend.. Big mistake.. I was very naive

So far I've only had 1 minor problem but I want to sell and move on due to health issues.

My best option is to reclad rather than sell in its current state, but the costs are massive.

So far I've had quotes between 350-400k plus.. You can build a brand new house for 450-500.

The problem is the reclad companies have you over a barrel.. Some of the listed costs are crazy.. I can't afford that on top of my mortgage

I applied to both the court cases vs hardies but was rejected as the material used was slightly different and I'm out of the 10 year limit.

Very depressing as my house hasn't gone up comparative to the rest of Auckland ..probably have to cut my losses and move on

#21 ·
I don't think it will start this year, maybe not even next, despite what that website says. Auckland Council has around 65 million already budgeted for this so lets hope we get something nicer that incorporates a wider vision for the square. You should be able to do something pretty amazing for that money especially when you see what was done it Christchurch for 17 million.

http://thepiano.nz/

#23 ·
I'm an owner in the Westmount building at 23 Upper Queen St (the pseudo-neo-georgian one with brick pilasters). Reclad proposed to start mid next year. It's an expensive exercise but I'm still happy it's happened, it will actually result in a fantastic building more in line with the developers original vision. These places have a great internal layout (mostly around 90m2 + balcony, two bed, two bath, with large marble kitchens, separate dining room, proper wardrobes etc) so with the rebuild outside it will be a truly premium building. Combine that with a city rail link station one block over and the various upgrades around Upper Queen and K Rd it should be a winner.

The most interesting thing is we're going with brick cladding all over. Apparently research after the Christchurch earthquakes has revealed brick performs a lot better in earthquakes than previously though, and gives a very durable and attractive finish. I'm pretty stoked. Will look Ockam meets old school.

#25 ·
Good on ya. Going fully brick feels much more authentic, human scale than concrete panel facades. It would also look great with some ivy growing on it

If I can make one constructive criticism though: the roof line in the renders looks a bit... tinny. I appreciate the problem with weathertightness was presumably the roof, but maybe a tweak here is possible...?

#28 ·
The building is currently clad with solid plaster infill panels between brick pilasters (which sit on the front of concrete columns). The developer originally wanted to build all in brick but got kicked back by building code at the time. He settled for bricks on the columns (of which ever single brick is individually tied to the structure) and painting the bits in between brick colour.