daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2015, 07:51 AM   #21
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26180

CHINA | Maglev

This thread is about perspective long-distance maglev lines in China

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

ilovecoffee liked this post

Last edited by dimlys1994; December 29th, 2015 at 11:36 AM.
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2015, 01:15 PM   #22
mozartjing

Likes (Received): 1

Currently two lines completed I assume, the Shanghai Pudong maglev and the Changsha Huanghua Airport line under test

dimlys1994 liked this post
mozartjing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 02:25 AM   #23
BEE2

Likes (Received): 152

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8SqDVUdMtY
China's First Mid-Low Speed Maglev Line Passes Preliminary Assessment
BEE2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 04:19 AM   #24
tjrgx

Likes (Received): 2833

China's first maglev train starts full-load test

A full load-test for maglev trains is being conducted in central China's city of Changsha. The trains will run on China's first domestically designed and manufactured magnetic levitation railway.

Last edited by tjrgx; February 25th, 2016 at 03:37 AM.
tjrgx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 08:02 AM   #25
kunming tiger

Likes (Received): 1665

Can you state the advantages and disadvantages of this form of transportation for our forum users please?
kunming tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 05:11 PM   #26
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Very short, for maglev:

advantage:
very fast
lower drag/resistance

disadvantage:
very expensive to build
very expensive to operate

Or do you mean the low speed version?
Old February 23rd, 2016, 06:32 PM   #27
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Proponents claim that the operations costs are atually markedly lower than steel-on-steel systems. Far less wear and tear as well as lower energy costs when going to high speeds.
Construction costs are also claimed to be higher mostly due to far lower volume of construction and less experience.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Ŝróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

FM 2258 liked this post
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 06:43 PM   #28
Swede
forumer #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozartjing View Post
Currently two lines completed I assume, the Shanghai Pudong maglev and the Changsha Huanghua Airport line under test
Yeah, only two lines and both are city to airport links, hardly long distance IMO. In that video tjrgx posted it is said the Changsa line will only go at 100 km/h! If so, then what is the point of maglev? The Shanghai line is does over 400km/h every day. That's a speed that would make a great deal of sense for long distance lines.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Ŝróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Old February 23rd, 2016, 07:53 PM   #29
kunming tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Yeah, only two lines and both are city to airport links, hardly long distance IMO. In that video tjrgx posted it is said the Changsa line will only go at 100 km/h! If so, then what is the point of maglev? The Shanghai line is does over 400km/h every day. That's a speed that would make a great deal of sense for long distance lines.
Realistically what are the chances of a long distance maglev line being built in China?
Old February 24th, 2016, 11:24 PM   #30
stoneybee

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunming tiger View Post
Realistically what are the chances of a long distance maglev line being built in China?
Well, I will say the answer to your question will depend on time frame.

Within the next 10 year, basically zero chance.
10-20, I will venture to guess 10-20%
20-30, I will say probably greater than 50%
30+ years, I am willing to bet that at least one long distance line will be built.

I think the real push on Maglev will happen when 1) once it is proven it can travel at a speed of 500+ km/h safely and efficiently, and 2) it can carry large enough amount of passengers.

At current performance and payload, there is not a lot of practical advantage over high-speed conventional rail as a mass transit vehicle. However, just like any new technology, I believe its day will come.
stoneybee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 07:16 AM   #31
kunming tiger

In others words it has to prove to be economical to build and operate carry the same number of passengers over the same distance in less time that conventional HSR?
Old February 25th, 2016, 03:52 PM   #32
Swede
forumer #29

Quote:
In others words it has to prove to be economical to build and operate carry the same number of passengers over the same distance in less time that conventional HSR?
That's my take too, plus that there has to be a need for the capacity the new line would bring. Unless there is a need for another line between for example Beijing and Shanghai then there won't be one built and thus no chance of a maglev built there. However, should there be a need to add another line on a stretch that already has conventional HSR? Then the chances of the new line being maglev goes up IMO.
Old February 26th, 2016, 03:58 AM   #33
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Speed is not the only strong point of maglevs, especially the mid-speed maglevs in which can negotiate steeper hills, reduces noise pollution, can accelerate and decelerate more quickly and, with same cabin space the height of the overall cars can be reduced making tunneling more cost efficient.
The down side at the moment is it's sticker price and not compatible with legacy tracks.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 09:53 AM   #34
kunming tiger

legacy tracks? You mean existing tracks?
Old February 26th, 2016, 09:46 PM   #35
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1217

Quote:
legacy tracks? You mean existing tracks?
Just rails . Not many maglev train manufacturers. But they're saying Changsha maglev would cost significantly less than "LRT".

I think capacity is still a major problem for maglev.
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 03:00 PM   #36
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

I was able to get out to Changsha to see the maglev for myself.
Old March 3rd, 2016, 10:47 PM   #37
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Likes (Received): 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneybee View Post
Well, I will say the answer to your question will depend on time frame.

Within the next 10 year, basically zero chance.
10-20, I will venture to guess 10-20%
20-30, I will say probably greater than 50%
30+ years, I am willing to bet that at least one long distance line will be built.

I think the real push on Maglev will happen when 1) once it is proven it can travel at a speed of 500+ km/h safely and efficiently, and 2) it can carry large enough amount of passengers.

At current performance and payload, there is not a lot of practical advantage over high-speed conventional rail as a mass transit vehicle. However, just like any new technology, I believe its day will come.
Japan is already investing tens of billions of US$ in the maglev Chuo Shinkansen, which will enable to complete the 286 kilometer-long journey from Tokyo to Nagoya in 40 minutes by 2027 at a top speed of 505 km/h.
dark_shadow1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 03:42 AM   #38
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstrknb View Post

I was able to get out to Changsha to see the maglev for myself.
Is it on some kind of 'training wheels' ? Maybe they were testing the emergency wheels? It does not sound levitated to me.

SamuraiBlue liked this post
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 03:12 PM   #39
Swede
forumer #29

Where do you see the wheels? The levitation isn't at a meter above the tracks, it's actually very close to the tracks. But there is air between the tracks and the trains magnets both above and below the track.
Old March 4th, 2016, 11:23 PM   #40
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

I don't see any wheels, but when the trains pass, you do hear some kind of metal on metal contact, so perhaps there are guide rails on the side to keep it in place?

It is much less quiet than expected from maglevs.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote