daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2008, 02:44 AM   #181
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

I am quite surprised that Renaissance ROM made the list of the new 7 architectural wonders.

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #182
yin_yang

Likes (Received): 80

i really really like the way libeskind actually placed the "crystals", or designed the building...but the cladding looks a bit off at the moment. still a really cool building!
yin_yang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #183
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10780

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
[size=4][b]
The Royal Ontario Museum is trying to shoo a handful of long-time hot-dog and ice-cream vendors away from its dramatically renovated building because they don't fit with its “glitzy” new image, deputy mayor Joe Pantalone says.
What a revolting move by the ROM. This is arrogant snobbery you'd think they were too embarrassed to air in public. The ROM is so high on themselves, that human beings are now considered beneath them? Street vendors ARE the city. What a boring soul less place the world would be if the ROM ran the world.

The irony is that this is a building that houses art and documents our civilization, yet they want to sanitize it so we can have a hospital experience. The ROM seems to have lost the plot and pretty much everything else that is real and relevant to the world.

My respect for them has evaporated. They are a joke now.

Perhaps, it is ROM management that should be booted out of Toronto, because they don't fit in with the ideals of a modern sophisticated and enlightened city. What a bunch of troglodytes.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:26 PM   #184
kelw

Likes (Received): 0

I think the ROM is doing the right thing. Street vendors definitely don't belong near a respected cultural institution like this.
kelw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #185
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12186

?? that is old news. Boot out the management because of that? Seems kind of minor in the greater scheme of things.
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:02 PM   #186
isaidso
the new republic

It might seem minor to you, but that type of mentality should not be tolerated in a modern society. I'm not in favour of booting anyone out of town, but that ROM management has got a lot of nerve. Street vendors should be allowed on ANY non-residential sidewalk. This city does NOT belong to one group more than any other.

I'd rather have a hot dog vendor with principles over for dinner than anyone who thinks they are a cut above someone else because they work in a gallery or museum. It's the same nauseating behaviour luxury brand whores adopt. Associate with luxury or prestige to make one feel better about themselves at someone else's expense. How do you think it must feel to be told by some snotty suit type that you aren't good enough to be near 'their' precious building?

I have zero tolerance for it. I'm a bit surprised that you are ok with this. The 'greater scheme of things' is a dangerous road to go down.
Old April 1st, 2008, 04:14 AM   #187
Coral Builder

Isiado, I'd have to agree with Taller on this one. I think that Hot Dog vendors are awesome, but culturally speaking, they take away from the effect the ROM is trying to create, and lets face it, they're trying to build a global cultural icon here. In many ways its the same reason heights on buildings are restricted in certain areas, despite the preference of many developers to build whatever they want (for lack of a better example). Hot Dog vendors have to respect certain restrictions (just like everyone else), and lets face it, you wouldn't like to see a hot dog stand in front of the Guggenheim, the Met or the Tate Modern either. Your argument reminds me of the type of politically correct nonesense that paralyzes Canadians, I'll just leave it at that... I'm on this new kick where I'm really trying not to offend anyone (its a lot harder then it sounds)..Cheers
Coral Builder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 04:31 AM   #188
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12186

No, I wholly agree with Isaido's argument; I realize now how badly I expressed myself. When the issue was happening, my opinions in the lengthy debate we had over it were along the lines of Isaidso's. However, this misguided proposal was so obviously wanting in respect for the hot dog vendors that it is now happily ancient history, as far as I know. The ROM got a well deserved black eye over it, but the management of the ROM, and in particular William Thorsell has virtually willed this extraordinary project to happen, and given a gift to Toronto that not only brought the ROM into the 21st Century, but gave a good strong nudge to the entire city in that direction. I guess I was just saying we all make mistakes, and in this case bygones should be bygones! But in reading what I wrote, I most definitely did not make that clear!

Last edited by Taller, Better; April 1st, 2008 at 04:55 AM.
Taller, Better está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 11:08 AM   #189
isaidso
the new republic

Coral Builder:

Isn't it the ROM who is inflicting paralysis? They are attempting to sanitize a city. It is they who are placing restrictions on a free vibrant society. What they do INSIDE the building is one thing, but to dictate what goes on outside is a bit rich. It is diversity that makes cities dynamic. I would very much expect and want to see hot dog vendors outside the Guggenheim or Tate Modern. They enrich the experience of a global cultural icon, they don't detract from it. If people don't want the hot dogs they won't buy them. This is a crucial feature and reason for the success of liberal democracies. You give the people what they want.

By the way, you shouldn't be worried about offending people if you're convinced that you are doing the right thing. Some people need their eyes opened. I don't want this thread hijacked by this issue, so perhaps, we should get back to what a fabulous asset the ROM addition has been to Toronto. It is one of the most significant structures to bless this city ever.

Renaissance ROM? We could easily be talking about Renaissance Toronto with this building and the huge transformation the entire city is under going.

Last edited by isaidso; April 3rd, 2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 11:43 AM   #190
lena5538
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

woww. it looks like a space building!
lena5538 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:34 PM   #191
yin_yang

Likes (Received): 80

this would have been way cooler.
yin_yang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:04 PM   #192
isaidso
the new republic

It's a museum, so having that much natural sunlight is not suitable. Sunlight causes damage. That's why most gallery space is devoid of windows. The ROM is fabulous, as is Museum subway station which has been renovated with a ROM theme. I walked to Museum station yesterday to check it out. It was a great PR coup for the ROM. The finished product is fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post

The intent of the subway station renovation was to reflect some of the treasures upstairs in the Royal Ontario Museum... thus the structural columns on the platform were all covered with replicas of items in the collection:

here is a Wuikinuxv First Nations house post (from the West Coast of Canada):

A pilaster bearing the relief of the Egyptian God Osiris:

and here is the back view:

a Toltec warrior:

and him from the back:

Greek Doric Columns (the oldest style of Greek column orders):

Chinese "Forbidden City" columns:

My only criticism is the ceiling. They really should make it as beautiful as the rest of it. Even a simple re-cladding to match the brown of the walls would do the trick. Hopefully, they aren't finished yet.

Last edited by isaidso; April 21st, 2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old April 27th, 2008, 06:26 PM   #193
yyzer

Likes (Received): 42

here's a crane shot, posted by rather draconian over at urbantoronto, which shows the ROM to good advantage...

yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 05:18 AM   #194
yyzer

Likes (Received): 42

pic by tomms over at urbantoronto.ca......

image hosted on flickr
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 05:25 AM   #195
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Likes (Received): 17

Museum station looks great. I find that you get to the ROM itself faster via St. George though...
Old August 6th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #196
isaidso
the new republic

Bloor-Yorkville is turning into a dynamite stretch.
Old August 31st, 2008, 04:43 PM   #197
yarabundi

I simply adore the subway station !!
Old August 31st, 2008, 09:58 PM   #198
Canuck514

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarabundi View Post
I simply adore the subway station !!
I agree, very cool. That area will be nuts in a few years
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:09 AM   #199
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 804

The station looks marvellous, wish I could say the same for the interiors of the new ROM addition.
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 02:28 AM   #200
atmBrasil
Back to the Jungle

Likes (Received): 2

ROM is reallly awsome.Toronto deserves this and every other significant construction in North America.