daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2005, 03:54 AM   #21
moxwax

Likes (Received): 14

disgusting... I hate Libeskind. All his buildings are just pieces of metal thrown together in seemingly random designs. And, just like if you do the same thing on a smaller scale, it looks like trash. I'ts not "bold" or "dramatic," it's what he found in last night's garbage right before he threw it out. It sucks IMO.
moxwax no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2005, 06:13 AM   #22
Jose Luis
Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxwax
disgusting... I hate Libeskind. All his buildings are just pieces of metal thrown together in seemingly random designs. And, just like if you do the same thing on a smaller scale, it looks like trash. I'ts not "bold" or "dramatic," it's what he found in last night's garbage right before he threw it out. It sucks IMO.

I bet you don't have a bit of taste my friend, or don't know the first thing about great arch.
Jose Luis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 06:23 AM   #23
rise_against
Olde Guard

Likes (Received): 8

^ i agree Libeskind is a visonary who is not afraid to take a chance, and pull it off to become a landmark.
Old June 26th, 2005, 06:34 AM   #24
KGB

Likes (Received): 48

Without placing judment on aestetics, the dream of most architects is to cultivate a look for their architecture, so that when someone looks at one of their buildings, it is recognized as one of "theirs". Libeskind has managed to do this, and in that sense, he is very successful. The only time architecture is "bad", is when it's obvious the architect didn't even try.

KGB
KGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 06:39 AM   #25
Skyscrapercitizen
TIMBY

Likes (Received): 5408

I don't agree KGB. There are many architects who design out of concept, and their designs are not recognized as theirs in the first place. Koolhaas' OMA is an example, as well as its 'child' MVRDV.

But then we are talking about a different type of architecture then the Calatrava's and Gehry's of this world.
Old June 26th, 2005, 11:58 AM   #26
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malm÷ | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

Crazy design! I like it!
Old July 13th, 2005, 09:03 PM   #27
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Copied from Lucky24 at the Toronto forum

It's Crystal clear: ROM will be city's wow centre

CHRISTOPHER HUME

There was cheering in the streets yesterday as the final part of the steel structure was put in place at the Royal Ontario Museum's addition, the Crystal.

Who said modern architecture wasn't popular?

Designed by Daniel Libeskind, he of the much-criticized Freedom Tower in New York, the $211 million project has been under construction at the corner of Bloor St. W. and Queen's Park Cres. for more than a year. Though it won't open for another year, already the extraordinary angularity of its jutting planes is plain for all to see.

Libeskind, who flew in for the occasion from, well, he's not sure where, couldn't have been happier.

"It's thrilling," he spluttered, beaming. "Nothing could be as exhilarating as seeing the building take shape in reality."

Interestingly, the Crystal now going up bears a striking resemblance to the felt-pen napkin drawings Libeskind entered in the design competition launched three years ago. They were quick sketches, tossed off at Jamie Kennedy's old restaurant at the ROM, but, strangely enough, they remain remarkably accurate.

That will inevitably change as the glass and extruded aluminium cladding are put in place. Then the Crystal could actually start to look like a crystal, or at least an architectural version of one. Which is to say it will fall somewhere between the organic and the man-made.

Libeskind's brilliance lies in his ability to produce chaos within clarity, disorder within order. The Crystal is an explosion of forms frozen in space. It dispenses with the orthogonal orthodoxies of traditional architecture in one fell swoop.

Needless to say, Toronto has never seen anything like it.

"Architecture is a very good beacon of the future," Libeskind argues. "And the future is bright. We're better informed now. There is more knowledge today."

Clearly, whatever else Libeskind may be, he's a diehard optimist. Where others see decline and deterioration, he sees the "messiness of democracy."

Even the seemingly endless machinations at Ground Zero that have turned his Freedom Tower into the world's first bunkered skyscraper have not left him angry, frustrated or embittered. Libeskind smiles and insists that the universe is unfolding as it should.

"I don't want to minimize the struggles I'm having," he confesses. "They can be brutal. But in the end it will be better. Ironically, it has come closer to my original idea."

No wonder Toronto inspires such an outpouring of enthusiasm.

"This is a great city," he declares. "The ROM has been a great experience for me, with such a great client. It's so beautiful to be here. Canada has managed to remain a very balanced country."

As he also points out, Toronto is a city in transition.

"Pretty soon we're going to see big changes here," he says. "This is an ambitious city."

One of the biggest of those changes will happen at the ROM. An institution long known for its dourness is set to become the wow centre of Toronto, the must-see museum.

As ROM CEO William Thorsell notes, however, he's still looking for $60 million to complete the project. And he doesn't expect finding it will be easy; Toronto's philanthropic community is tapped out and he's hoping the federal-provincial infrastructure program will be good for maybe $28 million.

We'll see. If the politicos can wrap their minds around the fact that this represents an investment, not a frivolous expenditure, they'll find the cash in a flash.

For his part, Libeskind isn't about to downplay the importance of budgets. There are, he says quoting Walter Benjamin, five elements: earth, wind, water, fire and money.

"Cost is an important issue," he observes. "You need limits."

Who would disagree? The question is where those limits are set; in Toronto there's a sense they have been set too low for too long, but if the ROM is any indication, that's all changed.
Old July 14th, 2005, 12:11 AM   #28
Skybean
天豆

Copied from Travis007 at the Toronto Forum

ROM chief expects uproar over 40-storey condo tower

By JAMES ADAMS

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 Page A7

The Royal Ontario Museum wants to build a 40-storey condominium tower
on the current site of the McLaughlin Planetarium, and says it expects the development to generate controversy.

The plan has already encountered "some resistance from the city's planning department," William Thorsell, the director and CEO of the ROM, said in an interview yesterday.

It may take up to three years before construction begins on the project, which Mr. Thorsell acknowledged may be unpopular among those who feel the city is overburdened with high-rise condominium developments and among those who fundamentally oppose public-private partnerships.

Mr. Thorsell made his comments after joining architect Daniel Libeskind in a noon-hour "topping-off" ceremony at the museum to mark the completion of the steel skeleton of Mr. Libeskind's controversial new development.

The skeleton, composed of about 3,000 steel beams arrayed in five crystalline shapes, is to be clad in stainless steel, aluminum and glass and subdivided into about five storeys of exhibition, orientation, retail and restaurant space.

Located on Bloor Street West, the Crystal, as it has come to be known, is expected to be completed in the spring of 2006. It will be the ROM's architectural signature for the 21st century, wedged as it is between the museum's original 1914 building to the west and its 1933 east wing alongside Queen's Park.

The ROM wants to demolish the 37-year-old planetarium, closed since 2002, and recast it with Toronto-based Graywood Developments and, Mr. Thorsell hopes, the University of Toronto.

The ROM project would see 40 storeys of condominiums atop a "podium" that is 23 metres high, roughly the height of the 1933 wing. The podium would include ROM administrative and curatorial offices, laboratories and classrooms and, if the University of Toronto participates, room for the law and music faculties. Both faculties are housed in inadequate facilities to the south and west of the museum. Mr. Thorsell said he expects to hear whether the university plans to get involved by the end of this month.

In the meantime, Mr. Thorsell said he will go public with his plans for the McLaughlin site by the end of August.

The design for the site is being done by Brian Brisbin, senior partner in the Toronto firm of Brisbin Brook Beynon. The firm was recently picked to renovate Madison Square Garden in New York.

The tower, Mr. Thorsell said, will have "very high, very beautiful apartments. It's going to be the most beautiful residential building in the city -- and the most expensive, I would think."

The condominium would have "very, very little impact" on its immediate surroundings, he said. "Its shadow will fall on the ROM."

But the university and the Toronto and Ontario governments might be wary that the development would lead to more public-private partnerships.

The ROM needs the money from the redevelopment to help finance its ambitious Renaissance ROM plans, which call for more than 18,000 square metres of new and renovated exhibition space.

The cost for Renaissance ROM is expected to be $230-million, up about 15 per cent from projections done in 2002.

To date, the museum has raised $175-million of the $211-million it needs for its major capital costs.

The ROM hopes to raise another $20-million by the end of this year.
Old July 14th, 2005, 03:21 AM   #29
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

A while back the Toronto Star had a publishment on the new addidtion, and supposedly no two angles in the new structure (where the beams meet), are the same, along with no 90 degree angles.
Bertez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:10 PM   #30
Skybean
天豆

The ROM's Michael Lee-Chin Crystal Topping Off Ceremony

The final major steel beam, signed by ROM staff and donors, was lifted into place at a Topping Off Ceremony on July 12, 2005, celebrating the completion of the structure of the new Michael Lee-Chin Crystal building.

Daniel Libeskind, lead architect, and William Thorsell, Director, ROM sign the last beam. (w. dobrowlanski)

Workers from Walters Inc., Vanbots Construction Corp., and Local 721 Iron Workers in front of finished structure. (b.boyle)

The final beam is elevated, decorated with several flags and an evergreen tree to mark an accident-free construction site. (w. dobrowlanski)

Old July 15th, 2005, 01:02 AM   #31
Zissou
Experienced Frogman

Likes (Received): 0

I like the addition. I think it not only adds to the beauty of the original building but it is quite unique and pleasant to look at on its own. Im not a fan of everything Libeskind does but I really like this project.
Old July 15th, 2005, 02:39 AM   #32
Grollo
Developer

Likes (Received): 1015

Fantastic building, This is the kind of architecture that Toronto needs more of!
Old July 17th, 2005, 04:37 PM   #33
elliot

Likes (Received): 32

elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #34
clam_dude

Likes (Received): 35

Is that the proposed condo tower??? Holy Macorolli
clam_dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 05:45 PM   #35
jonovision

Likes (Received): 1

OMG!!! That is really something else!
jonovision no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2005, 12:30 AM   #36
seb5990
Ripler

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
seb5990 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2005, 01:21 AM   #37
thryve
░░░░░░░░░░

Likes (Received): 22

...a ROM condo... a FILM FESTIVAL condo... a HUMMINGBIRD CENTRE condo... you know, that is one beautiful condo tower, but give T.O. 30 or so years and these condo towers tacked onto every type of development is going to seem as crude and outdated as all those apt. towers from the 60s and 70s... I wouldn't mind this but its most people that would.
thryve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2005, 03:09 AM   #38
rise_against
Olde Guard

Likes (Received): 8

It towers like that, that will be used in the future to define Architecture from the early century...i love it!!!
Old July 18th, 2005, 06:24 AM   #39
jonovision

Likes (Received): 1

This tower is not the real proposal. All the other threads mentionning it say that someone on the forum created on they're own. Too bad, it would have been really nice!
jonovision no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2005, 09:32 AM   #40
Maksym

Thanks for ruining a historic landmark. Can Toronto keep one historic building intact or should we just become NYC?
Maksym no está en línea   Reply With Quote