daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 28th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #401
dancethingy

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
Thanks friend. But I always thought Dresden or Cologne were second in destruction to Warsaw. Even Stalingrad. But you have our sympathy too. I think most Poles have good connections to Roman Catholic countries in general. How much of Manila was rebuilt?

Manila did rebuild, but it did not follow the architecture of pre-world war 2 Manila. The walled city of intramuros in Manila did not really rebuild any of its grand cathedrals.

I don't mean to start an argument on which city suffered more damage. The war was destructive on a lot of cities in general, but i think Warsaw was an exception. Warsaw was ravaged.
dancethingy no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:41 PM   #402
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5285

I think this film will clarify for the new generation the scale of destruction in Warsaw and how it impacts the Polish psyche to this day.
Urbanista1 no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2010, 02:33 AM   #403
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 5438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perun View Post
Trailer of awsome project:

Watch in HD and fullscreen!
Incredible CGI. You see pictures but they don't convey the sheer scale and total nature of the destruction. The attention to detail in modelling all that is insane.

This film is being shown in 3D, so I imagine it's even more incredible on a big screen.

Such a damn shame though, people always go on about Krakow in Poland as a beautiful city, such a shame to think Warsaw was lost in this way.
Old July 29th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #404
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Do you really think it's lost. Certainly, when I arrived at Central Station and saw Plac Defilad, I got depressed and felt that it was all lost. But if you dig deeper and go beyond this area, much of old Warsaw exists, albeit not in great condition, but I would say 50-75% of what was is still there or was rebuilt, depending on how you look at it.
Old July 30th, 2010, 05:18 AM   #405
Darhet
Warsaw patriot

Likes (Received): 1156

This is the same place in city center in Warsaw

Warsaw beautiful, rich city before war (former streets like Śliska,Złota,etc)

Warsaw destroyed
Many districts still lies in ruins
Pictures taken 4 years after the destruction of the city

and now 2010:
This is the same place

Last edited by Darhet; July 30th, 2010 at 05:31 AM.
Darhet no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #406
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Wow, very eerie pictures. I often try to imagine how it must have been like to live in a ruined city like that after WWII, living like cave dwellers in ruins surrounded by a lunar landscape...and then to be rer-occupied by the SOviet Union.
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #407
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
Do you really think it's lost. Certainly, when I arrived at Central Station and saw Plac Defilad, I got depressed and felt that it was all lost. But if you dig deeper and go beyond this area, much of old Warsaw exists, albeit not in great condition, but I would say 50-75% of what was is still there or was rebuilt, depending on how you look at it.
I agree with you. With all the EU funds at Polands disposal now, renovations are continuing and/or picking up speed. I think this will continue until Varsovians are satisfied. But they absolutely must rebuild Saski Palace. It would be a dream come true for me. From what I hear it may happen around 2012. I just hope they stick to a faithful reconstruction. With this Palace rebuilt, Plac Pilsudski has potential to become one of the greatest squares/meeting places in Europe.
rychlik no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #408
Coetzee

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
Srodmiescie Poludniowe and Praga Polnoc survived the war more or less intact and consequently, may give you the clearest idea of how the city looked like in the past. In other places, the buildings themselves may have been restored/reconstructed, but usually the city substance and urban context were altered in this way or another. For instance, the Old Town, a rather peripheral (and dangerous) area before the war was turned into a Disneyland for tourists (in a positive sense ), Nowy Swiat was changed from a metropolitan avenue into a small-scale street with architecture of a Russian provincial town, busy neighbourhood of Sewerynow with its large bazaar (closed in mid-30s) is now a quiet vicinity with pensioners walking dogs.

Last edited by Coetzee; July 30th, 2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: :)
Coetzee no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #409
Darhet
Warsaw patriot

Warsaw Uprising 1944 66anniversary ceremonies in Warsaw. 08/01/2010
5.00 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIrRXLOwNJ0

Sabaton Uprising 1944 official music video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJsCQPk3D34

Interview with Sabaton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SweiWnuUl0M

Last edited by Darhet; August 4th, 2010 at 06:45 PM.
Darhet no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #410
samadifa

Likes (Received): 2

looking at those pics made me cried
samadifa no está en línea  
Old August 5th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #411
Urbanista1
Here and Now

it makes many of us sad still, but we try not to dwell on the past. maybe if there is peace from our neighbours in one generation it will just be history.
Old August 5th, 2010, 02:48 AM   #412
Darhet
Warsaw patriot

10 years later
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twDouTqS4c8
Darhet no está en línea  
Old August 5th, 2010, 03:13 AM   #413
geoff189d

Likes (Received): 37

Dreadful what happened to Warsaw towards the end of the war and how the Soviets just sat back and allowed the Germans to systematically blow up what was left of the city. I notice in the video that there is an area that has been completely flattened with the exception of a church. Was this the site of The Ghetto?
geoff189d no está en línea  
Old August 5th, 2010, 03:18 AM   #414
geoff189d

Likes (Received): 37

I've just noticed that a previous post answers my question. Thanks.
geoff189d no está en línea  
Old August 5th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #415
Urbanista1
Here and Now

I would love to see the 3D film of pre-War Warsaw - is this in development Darhet. It would be nice if they turned it into an actual movie set against a backdrop of pre-War Warsaw.
Old August 5th, 2010, 05:42 AM   #416
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3265

It's so saddening to see this pictures. Coming from a city destroyed during the war as well I feel the pain. If the Franco allies had bombed my second home town Barcelona with the same force and technology in '37 as was done here the results would have been as bad as these.

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca no está en línea  
Old August 17th, 2010, 12:36 AM   #417
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

New short video from that 3D film at this link:

http://warszawa.gazeta.pl/warszawa/1...sta_Ruin_.html

And stills of the 3D reconstruction, which is really meticulous.

Place has come a long way in the last 50 years, all things considered.

Old August 17th, 2010, 05:07 AM   #418
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Are those real?
redstone no está en línea  
Old August 17th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #419
kotasik

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone View Post
Are those real?
These are HQ screenshots from the movie described in this post (prev page in this topic):

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=400
kotasik no está en línea  
Old August 17th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #420
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

It's a CGI reconstruction, I don't think anyone had quite so good cameras back in 1945, but if you were there back then, this is what it looked like flying overhead (the CG model is built off photographs, maps, aerial recon shots etc etc, took a looong time to make).

Closed Thread

Tags
classic europe, warsaw, warschau