daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 12th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #461
yubnub

Likes (Received): 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrrrek View Post
I read all topic and i have to say that there are some persons, who don't know anything about history of Poland and talk.
In 1938 Poland annexed Part of Silesia in Czech Republic, where most people were polish. It was revenge for Czech attack after IWW. For example in Trzyniec / Trinec 60% were Polish. England and France after IWW gave the part of our land for Czech Republic because of foundry in Trzyniec. City Cieszyn has been divided for two countries. In WWII Poland lost almost everythnig, what we were proud of. We lost 1/3 people , we lost our capital, we lost two very important cities, which were caitals of polish culture - Lwów, Wilno, we lost thousands of historical monuments, we lost our history. Huge library in Warsaw was totally destroyed. We lost half of country, we lost indepence for 44 years ( to 1989 ). Then we have got west lands. Completly destroyed festung Breslau - Wrocław, destroyed Gdańsk.
About Gdańsk and Prussia someone said that it was German land. But Gdańsk historically is polish ( from 1214 to 1795, when Prussia take part in partitions of Poland) .I won't write all polish history. Read about Konrad Mazowiecki, who imported Germans to help Poland.What was not destroyed to 1945 destroyed communists f.ex. Legnica, Jelenia Góra, Zielona Góra, Racibórz. We won this war, but west Europe sold us to Russia, everyone forgot about polish soldiers in this war, about Warsaw Uprising, which delayed russian march to west. In semptember 1939 France and England was obliged to help us and what? NOTHING. Most people talk about participation of french army in this war, but they did much less than Poland. If you think about Poland as a poor country you should know that it is all because Churchill and Roosvelt, which gave us to Stalin. Before war Poland was rich as Italy and more rich than Spain. Communism destroyed our country. Ugly architecture in historical parts of cities, destroying buildings, which survived war.
"what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger"

anyway ive been to Poland three times (Krakow and Zakopane) and i loved it so much im going back again this year. Sure Poland has had a shit time recently but now it will grow and become great again!
yubnub no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #462
Chmielok

Likes (Received): 205

Don't be so dramatic. You sound like a pretty hard anticommunist.
"Ugly architecture" - NO!
A lot of blocks may look ugly now, but that's what people in XIX century thought about classical architecture. They are a history of our country, a history of regrowth.
Too bad they are just treated like a trash and painted in ugly colours.
Wait a few decades and you'll see they will be treated as a monument.
And they are still incredibly good organized.
Chmielok no está en línea  
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #463
Leugom

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chmielok View Post
that's what people in XIX century thought about classical architecture. .
Ummm... not true. The XIX artists idealized classical antiquity, and the architecture of the period reflected this perfectly. I doubt some generation in the future will do that with commie blocks.
Leugom no está en línea  
Old January 12th, 2011, 11:04 PM   #464
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4542

I think what he meant was "what people from XX century thought about XIX century architecture" and it's true since many of this buildings were demolished without any protests.
Iluminat no está en línea  
Old January 12th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #465
Leugom

Likes (Received): 4

That would make more sense
Leugom no está en línea  
Old January 13th, 2011, 06:01 AM   #466
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5285

It's true neoclassical and beaux arts buildings were not that appreciated but modern buildings can never create that unique European urban character and feel that these beautifully detailed structures can.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2011, 04:59 AM   #467
Darhet
Warsaw patriot

Likes (Received): 1156

1944/1945 vs 2010/2011

St. Michael and St. Florian Cathedral
destroyed by German Verbrennungskommando (Burning Detachment) .
Bazylika katedralna św. Floriana Męczennika i św. Michała Archanioła

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polex View Post
Św. Florian fotografowany przez Sempolińskiego w zasadzie uniemożliwia obecnie dokładne dopasowanie współczesnych zdjęć - totalna ruina! I dlatego, oprócz pierwszego zdjęcia, pozostałe zdjęcia porównawcze proszę traktować z pewnym dystansem. Dziś cz.I

Last edited by Darhet; February 18th, 2011 at 05:08 AM.
Darhet no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2011, 05:12 AM   #468
Darhet
Warsaw patriot

Likes (Received): 1156

1944/1945vs 2010/2011

The Krasiński Palace , 1683 ad

The Krasiński Palace 1939:

damaged, burnt by German Verbrennungskommando (Burning Detachment)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polex View Post
c.d. Sempolińskiego - Pałac Krasińskich

Last edited by Darhet; February 18th, 2011 at 05:23 AM.
Darhet no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #469
Urbanista1
Here and Now

These are amazing reconstructions. I always thought that the right bank of Warsaw was hardly touched but it looks like St. Michael's/Florians was as badly damaged as St. John's in the Old Town - in other words, totally destroyed. The worst part of the destruction of the Krasinski Palace was that it housed an amazing library with ancient artifacts and manuscripts salvaged from the Alexandria library fire...80% gone, I believe, very sad.

Old February 18th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #470
nv2
Lece przez galaktyke

Likes (Received): 13

Good threat. I think that to fully understand spirit of Warsaw i post this (don't know anyone do it before):
List of battles involved city and its ancestor:
1262 -Jazdów(town before Warsaw) burn by Lithuanian-Russian army
1515 - In the war with Grand Duchy of Moscow burn part of Warsaw
1656- Battle of Warsaw against Swedenhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...saw_%281656%29
1705 - Battle of Warsaw against Sweden http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...saw_%281705%29
1794 - Warsaw Uprising against Russian Empire http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Uprising_%281794%29
1831 - Battle of Warsaw against Russian Empirehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...saw_%281831%29
1920 - Battle of Warsaw against Soviet Union http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...saw_%281920%29
1939 - Siege of Warsawhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Warsaw_%281939%29
January 18, 1943 - Warsaw Ghetto Uprisinghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Ghetto_Uprising
1 August 1944 - Warsaw Uprising http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Uprising

There are reasons that it call WARSAW
nv2 no está en línea  
Old February 20th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #471
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7063

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv2 View Post
Good threat. I think that to fully understand spirit of Warsaw i post this (don't know anyone do it before):
List of battles involved city and its ancestor:

There are reasons that it call WARSAW
Ha! I'm think that each major European city have own military history of the battles and revolts.
AlekseyVT no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #472
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

This war was a test for humanity as a whole. The destruction of Warsaw was different than the allied bombings of major German cities. It was personal. That's why it stings a little more. I'll be in Warsaw in late May with my camera. Hope to document as much as possible.
http://mikerychlik.ifp3.com/
rychlik no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #473
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
This war was a test for humanity as a whole. The destruction of Warsaw was different than the allied bombings of major German cities. It was personal. That's why it stings a little more. I'll be in Warsaw in late May with my camera. Hope to document as much as possible.
http://mikerychlik.ifp3.com/
You will find a city of great contrasts, still a lot of blight from the commie era but also much restoration and reconstruction and of course the new commercial city. It's a shame that beautiful Marshall street (English spelling) was not rebuilt, I fear it won't be now.
You must go to Lazienki Park, in my opinion probably the finest city park in the world, just magical.
Great city, I look forward to a return visit soon.
cameronpaul no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2011, 05:36 PM   #474
Urbanista1
Here and Now

congratulations rychlik on your venture into photography and good luck, Warsaw should provide you with ample opportunities. you should check out some of the photography threads (miasta polskie) under the Polish forum. I'll be in Warsaw sometime this summer too. Warsaw is a very complex and multi-layered work of art, jarring, disturbing, dissappointing and sublime. as cameronpaul said the parks are the best in Europe and apparently Lazienki is undergoing major restorations this year. anyone visiting the palace on the water should tour the interiors.

Old March 1st, 2011, 08:01 PM   #475
Urbanista1
Here and Now

for those interested in this era of warsaw's history, a must-read is Adolf Ciborowski's "Warsaw, A City Destroyed and Rebuilt" It's out of print but you can get the 1964 or 1969 editions through Abebooks.com and other such. His accounts of how Varsovians lived like cave dwellers in ruins at night while spending their days sorting through bricks and the whole chronology of the reconstruction of the city is very detailed and fascinating.

Old March 1st, 2011, 08:06 PM   #476
khoojyh
No more world war !!!

Location: Eastern Garden,City of Twins, Merlion City, Good Little Bay
Likes (Received): 51

Great to see Warsaw re build, awesome.
khoojyh no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:39 PM   #477
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
for those interested in this era of warsaw's history, a must-read is Adolf Ciborowski's "Warsaw, A City Destroyed and Rebuilt" It's out of print but you can get the 1964 or 1969 editions through Abebooks.com and other such. His accounts of how Varsovians lived like cave dwellers in ruins at night while spending their days sorting through bricks and the whole chronology of the reconstruction of the city is very detailed and fascinating.
Is the book in English?
rychlik no está en línea  
Old March 2nd, 2011, 01:23 AM   #478
Urbanista1
Here and Now

it is in English or there is an english version. I bought the English version and must say I've read it a few times, fascinating information and pics. are you in central T.O?

Old March 2nd, 2011, 04:59 AM   #479
rychlik
BANNED

Yup..... Bloor/Dufferin area.
rychlik no está en línea  
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:20 PM   #480
Urbanista1
Here and Now

U of T Reference library has a copy too last I checked, but didn't renew my library membership cause it was cheaper to buy the book. There are some other books on the subject but none as comprehensive as this one. Another good book is by Julian Bryran who was a photojournalist that worked for Life Magazine and was trapped inside Warsaw during the occupation and seige. His book "Warsaw" is more readily available and has some more jarring images that show more of the human tragedy.

I was going to post images from the book previously cited but I'm afraid it might damage the spine of this fragile vintage book.

Last edited by Urbanista1; March 2nd, 2011 at 10:04 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
classic europe, warsaw, warschau