daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 22nd, 2005, 08:21 PM   #41
kanabi
Tribunus Plebis

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke84
It would be one thing if Warsaw was destroyed and that was it, you have to understand that communists rebuild Warsaw in a lot of way that prevent it from going back anymore. The streets which had the most spleanding architecture before 1944, and were considered to be the salones of the city, had been widened by the communists...Aleie Jerozolimskie and Marszalkowska to give you some idea, are at least twice as broad and there is no way to reconstruct them. Other huge streets had beein built,they didnt exist previously which compleatly changed urban setting of the city center. I'm pretty sure Aleje Jana Pawla II didnt exist before WWII but you have to ask someone from Warsaw on that one.
Thanks, I know all of that

Quote:
What you dont seem to understand is that Warsaw can't and shouldnt go back to pre 1944. One reason being that communists changed so much and the other is that we should be looking forward and not backward. I find it pointless to reconstruct everything as the reconstructions will never have as much value as the old architecture. Warsaw should focus on becoming one of the most modern cities in Europe, and wwII and communism mad that possible in a way.
Of course, but without the war and communism Warsaw would be even more modern and beautiful nowadays

Quote:
I really don't see the type of mass reconstruction in Warsaw that is gong on in Dresden right now. Warsaw went throught that period in 1960-70.
lol
Warsaw in 60's and 70's went through a process of mass DECONSTRUCTION actually
Few examples:

Zlota/Zgoda street - these two houses were demolished and replaced by two ugly commies under the pretext of building useless tunnel which is soon going to be removed:

The corner of Swietokrzyska/Marszalkowska streets - PKO office building from 1938:

The building survived the war in a quite good condition, but was abandoned and systematically ruined. It was finally razed in mid 60's.

The same corner few weeks ago:

And the most annoying example - the Kronenberg Palace.

The interiors were completely burned, but the walls were still standing strong and could be renovated:

Unfortunately, thanks to our authorities, instead of a beautiful palace we now have something like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigo80
Almost all of the rebuilding in Dresden in recent years has been lead by private citizens and funded by the private sector or with donations (the Frauenkirche)
Sounds like a good example for Warsaw.
kanabi no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2005, 11:56 AM   #42
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5604

Ok, I'll clean that thread... Dor Il, you're warned, don't ever post such crap again.
Old October 24th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #43
angelika
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Détritus
Ok, I'll clean that thread... Dor Il, you're warned, don't ever post such crap again.

Sorry, I hope you haven't write about me ...

Just one thing, I could not understand this guys why they so hardly try to make so bad opinion on Warsaw's architecture,
in west countries ( France for me ), even if something is ugly in our city, in general we never write about it ( we hide it ), french are like this, and it's good because no one never said something ugly about my country but in contrary :

this is so strange for me, the polish guy every time even tourists love Warsaw, try to put many bad things about the city and country too, in my opinion they haven't understand that Poland need money from the tourism and if they continue like this, no one will come here ... and the "The worst thing " is that Poland is an extremely beautiful country ... but someone who don't know Poland AND will read their comments will have a bad opinion on this country ( i imagine that what they do with Warsaw they do the same thing with all the country ), it's very dangerous for Polish touristic image ...

Poland is gorgeous but if even polish themselves put comments so negatives like the gays here do, the tourists will not come here and you need money like we in France... exception for us is that we have understand that, and never you will hear from a french guy even he know that in his country cities are not so gorgeous ( like many peoples thought), he will never put something negative about France ... and we're 1st destination in the world ... ( tourism )

Why it's so important to you to show photos of some buildings after the war who resists and were transformed into not so beautiful form like before the war ... Try to be happy, that old town of Warsaw is splendid, the rest of Warsaw becomes more and more beautiful year after year, this city has and will have an extraordinary development and a beautiful future ... Warsaw only begin her spectacular architecture ... let her 10 years and you will see that even without 19 century architecture, Warsaw will be spectacular and one of the most visited city in Europe ... even NOW you can see a big potential of this city ...

Warsaw : spectacular old town + some 19 century architecture + modern = 10 years, no one will regret your comments here and your old photos ... many times Warsaw was destroyed and each time she became more beautiful ...
angelika no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2005, 07:02 PM   #44
angelika
BANNED

sorry for gays, i want to write guys ... sorry sorry and sorry again for my little english
Old October 24th, 2005, 10:58 PM   #45
kanabi
Tribunus Plebis

Likes (Received): 23

Well, I guess you're right. Polish guys should post "bad posts" only in the Polish section in their language, just like the others. But it's just the way they are - they just like complaining about everything It's their romantic national mentality, you know:
kanabi no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2005, 11:28 PM   #46
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5604

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelika
Sorry, I hope you haven't write about me ...
No, it wasn't directed to you... you can't see the posts I've deleted.
Old October 25th, 2005, 05:50 PM   #47
angelika
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Détritus
No, it wasn't directed to you... you can't see the posts I've deleted.

Thanks,

And you what you think about Warsaw, similar to what i wrote or other things .... ?
Old December 3rd, 2005, 11:18 PM   #48
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Some additional pics

Note the large "V" in both pics and the German writing "Warschau Hauptbahnhof" (Warsaw Central Train Station). What did the V stand for (I know it's victory, but did the Nazis put them up and why)?

Interesting site: http://www.fotomarburg.de/gaeste/warschau/vorwort.html

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Last edited by Kampflamm; December 3rd, 2005 at 11:45 PM.
Kampflamm no está en línea  
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:40 PM   #49
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 891

"If so, then why did France sign an alliance treaty with Poland in the first place? Why did it promise to attack Germany if Poland was invaded (as Poland promised to do if France was invaded)?"

Because no one knew how great the power of germany was, France thought they could (at least with help from the UK) defeat Germany, but in reality there was no country in Europe that could stand up against Germany (and i think even today no one can), but at that time no one knew this.
The same happened with Italy, the allied were worried about italy, but the italian army turned out to be useless,greece defeated the italian troops that tried to conquer Greece.
Mr Bricks no está en línea  
Old December 4th, 2005, 03:25 PM   #50
Koniaczeq

Likes (Received): 433

Wow this church was really nice, what a shame that they didnt reconstruct it in this version

Now it looks like this

Last edited by Koniaczeq; December 4th, 2005 at 03:33 PM.
Koniaczeq no está en línea  
Old December 4th, 2005, 03:29 PM   #51
Misiek
Call me grizzly ;)

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koniaczeq
Wow this church was really nice, what a shame that they didnt reconstruct it in this version

Now it looks like this

It resembled a bit St. Paul's Cathedral in London
Misiek no está en línea  
Old December 4th, 2005, 03:35 PM   #52
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Are they going to rebuild this palace as well?

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea  
Old December 4th, 2005, 03:35 PM   #53
Koniaczeq

I hope that one day it will be rebuild
Old December 4th, 2005, 03:37 PM   #54
Koniaczeq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm
Are they going to rebuild this palace as well?

Yes, this Palace is in the right corner Bruhl Palace (everything what is on that pic will be rebuild) and Saski Palace (Saxony Palace)
Old December 4th, 2005, 08:03 PM   #55
DocentX

Likes (Received): 2093

some positive examples of revitalization in Warsaw :

before :

now :

a few more :

Last edited by DocentX; December 5th, 2005 at 02:05 PM.
DocentX no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2005, 05:55 PM   #56
LoveCPH
Bonsoir l'Europe!

Likes (Received): 9

I thought that hole Warsaw got bombed in 1939?
But I only see some lots destroyed.?

Why does the city suddenly ends here?

Last edited by LoveCPH; December 6th, 2005 at 04:36 PM.
LoveCPH no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2005, 06:00 PM   #57
Koniaczeq

NO, Germans destoyed rest of Warsaw after Warsaw Uprising in 1944.
Old December 5th, 2005, 07:10 PM   #58
Paolo

Likes (Received): 7

"Only" about 30% of the city was destroyed in 1939, next 20% (Jewish ghetto) was burned to the ground in 1943, the rest was destroyed during Warsaw Uprising'44 and after when Hitler gave the order of complete destruction of the city...
Paolo no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2005, 08:02 PM   #59
Paolo

Likes (Received): 7

Some other photos:

1939 october?:

Royal castle:

Grand theatre:

1945: ponton bridge - the only way to cross Vistula, old town ruins in the background

1945: ruins of the Royal Castle and monument of the King Sigismund III Vasa both blown up after Warsaw Uprising...

1945: Ghetto ruins

Last edited by Paolo; December 5th, 2005 at 08:25 PM.
Paolo no está en línea  
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:23 PM   #60
chmod

Likes (Received): 0

******* germans

******* germas must pay for this. They destroy warsaw. german people = shit
chmod no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
classic europe, warsaw, warschau