daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old December 6th, 2005, 03:04 PM   #61
George5
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

I also have feelings that comunists in Warsaw constructed or reconstructed objects with comunist arhitectur after WW2. For destructions blame nazis, but for wrong and ugly reconstructions (compering how was before WW2) blame comunists in Poland which I suppose spend huge amount of the money and they maded wrong and ugly reconstructions.

Why Poles didn't oposed occupation from Stalin not just in Poland but outside also? I never heard for some Polish political organisation existed outside of the Poland which oposed ocupation of Poland from Stalin, also how Stalin roled with Poland without help from big number of the Poles 40 years?
George5 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2005, 07:01 PM   #62
wholagun
Where is my Genie lamp?

Likes (Received): 212

Pole opposed occupation and those that did were shot like the soldiers in Katyn. We opposed communism in the 1980s and as a result marcal law was imposed.

Stalin once said that trying to impose Communism on the Poles is like trying to put a saddle on a cow - in other words it just doesn't work.
wholagun no está en línea  
Old December 6th, 2005, 09:08 PM   #63
Paolo

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
******* germas must pay for this. They destroy warsaw. german people = shit
Please, keep in mind that this thread was made for information only not for spreading national hateress... so shut up...

Quote:
Why Poles didn't oposed occupation from Stalin not just in Poland but outside also? I never heard for some Polish political organisation existed outside of the Poland which oposed ocupation of Poland from Stalin, also how Stalin roled with Poland without help from big number of the Poles 40 years?
George5 I can only say that you are totally wrong, - try first to read more about such people as Nowak-Jezioranski, Okulicki, Brzezinski, Kuklinski, etc.
Some themes to google for if you are interested:
Polish Government in Exile and esp its history 1945-1990 - (think about why US and GB withdrew its recognition in 1945), Soviet ocupation of Poland (1939-1941) and 1943-45, Katyn, Trial of Sixteen, operation Tempest and Home Army, Poznan 1956, Gdansk and Szczecin 1970, Radom 1976, Solidarity movement 1980-1989
Paolo no está en línea  
Old December 7th, 2005, 12:47 AM   #64
DocentX

Likes (Received): 2187

Quote:
Originally Posted by George5

Why Poles didn't oposed occupation from Stalin not just in Poland but outside also?

First educate yourself about Polish history and then we can start to talk.
Old December 7th, 2005, 12:56 AM   #65
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmod
Great first post.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea  
Old December 7th, 2005, 01:10 AM   #66
DocentX

Likes (Received): 2187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm
Great first post.
just ignore stupid teenagers
Old December 29th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #67
Svajoklis

Likes (Received): 0

Kampflamm, I don't think you can put the destruction of an entire city down to Hitler's folly - let us not forget that he had the complicity of millions of the German people. Also, whilst it is good to see that many historic buildings have been restored, it seems that no amount of reconstruction can bring Warsaw back to its former glory. Truly this is a most tragic city...and so far the greatest tragedy of all has not been mentioned. I need only say that it is no coincidence that the area of the city most comprehensively annihilated was the Ghetto. Whilst I will not go as far as Chmod in attacking the German people, for the current generation are not to blame for the misdeeds of their forefathers, such actions will forever soil the name of Germany and rightfully act as a burden of shame on the shoulders of the German people.
Svajoklis no está en línea  
Old January 6th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #68
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1497

It's painfull to look at. What a pitty to see such a beautiful city razed to the ground. And this happened in Europe, not so long ago...were we all crazy just sixty years ago?
Old January 18th, 2006, 05:15 AM   #69
Animo
I'm Watching You

Likes (Received): 158

What an interesting and tragic thread. I feel so mad that during the war many countries loss so many historical structures, loves ones, culture and et cetera. I feel the pain in what the posters here are saying that hopefully someday they will be able to rebuild those beautiful buildings that was destroyed. Manila was second city next to Warsaw in the cities that was totally destroyed. It was during the World War II that it lost its title as "The Rome of Asia" and "The Venice of Asia". The Filipinos lost 90% of its Hispanic structures such as bridges, churches, canals, tranvias and more. The worst thing that the war took away was the Spanish language which was in essense gave the country a unifying identity in its culture. I really feel bad that they didn't restore the original plan of Manila like the cities in Europe.

---

You can also visit these threads here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animo
---

Quote:

Before World War II Manila was called by the Americans as "The Rome of Asia", because of the many Churches and Hispanic structures that was built in country. It was also the "The Venice of Asia" by the Spaniards, because the transportation in the city is by gondola. During the war, the Americans bombed the country so that the Japanese will surrender and not be able to use the structures in the country. The Japanese also did the same thing, destroying the bridges and colonial buildings. They wanted to associate the Filipinos back into being "pure Asian", because the Filipinos are pretty much in the Hispanic (East meets West) category. Also, the Philippines (2nd next to Japan) was the only country that can rival Japan in terms of economy, education (Spanish, English, Filipino), and infrastructures (the country even had a "skyscraper" mall/building wherein you can park your car inside - ahead of its time) during this period.

Crystal Arcade - Showing influences of French Beau Arts, Art Deco, and the International Modern Style. (destroyed)

Rome of Asia (90% destroyed) - And they didn't destroyed Japans castles and national monuments.

Now:

Venice of Asia - You can see the river going into the city in the photo above.

Une rue de Manille. Philippines.
Sabatier, Léon, d. 1887 – Lithographer

Puente de Espańa, Philippine Islands, ca. 1921

Last edited by Animo; April 24th, 2009 at 05:04 AM.
Animo no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #70
Kasandra83
Be faithful Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmod
Hmm, I just can accept calling any nation 'shit'. But it shows interesting problem - Poles can really start to hating Germans in schools. All those hisotry lessons, books we read on polish language lessons. Fellow Poles - you have to admit that it really builds inpositive image of Germans. They feed up us with WWII martyrology of our country. And admit it to yourselves - all what happened do not have any impact on your attitude for Germans ?
I don't believe!
But of course it doesn't mean that I hate Germans and that I accept spreading any hateness towards them.
but fundamentally it was a matter of taste

Yes taste

Zbigniew Herbert 1924-1998
Kasandra83 no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2006, 11:25 PM   #71
shakal
that sux

Come on mate, that guy wasn't even Polish I suppose. Don't exaggerate, Polish pupils are taught in schools what they ought to be taught,there's nothing strange in that.
What hatred are you talkin about ? I don't know anybody who hates Germans,well there might be some who just don't like them but the main reason isn't concerned with the war. And not to be off-topic, Warsaw was gorgeous but shit happens and it's not anymore. Whatever.

Death to animal haters, die subhuman scum !
shakal no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2006, 01:47 AM   #72
TC03

Likes (Received): 102

As said before kinda comparable to Rotterdam.

Before:

After:
TC03 no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #73
Koniaczeq

Likes (Received): 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukay
What irritates me the most is the way many buildings got rebuilt. Going back to the oldest version and not the verios previous to WWII.

None of those exist today, a little sample

This building survived the war but was destroyed in 1973

On a more optimistic note...

www.warszawa1939.pl

Jesus Christ, those pic are great !
Old March 12th, 2006, 03:16 PM   #74
paku
polished and finnished

Likes (Received): 218

Yea, it's ******* sad. I usually avoid coming to these nostalgia threads, they make me so depressed. Oh well...
Old March 12th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #75
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koniaczeq
Jesus Christ, those pic are great !
They certainly are, but did you have to quote all of them.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #76
kokojumbo

Quote:
What an interesting and tragic thread. I feel so mad that during the war many countries loss so many historical structures, loves ones, culture and et cetera. I feel the pain in what the posters here are saying that hopefully someday they will be able to rebuild those beautiful buildings that was destroyed. Manila was second city next to Warsaw in the cities that was totally destroyed. It was during the World War II that it lost its title as "The Rome of Asia" and "The Venice of Asia". The Filipinos lost 90% of its Hispanic structures such as bridges, churches, canals, tranvias and more. The worst thing that the war took away was the Spanish language which was in essense gave the country a unifying identity in its culture. I really feel bad that they didn't restore the original plan of Manila like the cities in Europe.

---

You can also visit these threads here:

---
amazing progress Go Philipines !
kokojumbo no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2006, 05:18 AM   #77
hellolazyness

Likes (Received): 113

I swear this thread wins the title for the most depressing ever made. I am not exaggerating when I say I nearly cried looking at all those photographs.
To see such beauty destroyed, totally anihilated and replaced with the monstrosities which exists today truly is the tragedy of our times. I've been to Warsaw and I must say the commie blocks which brutally overwhelm much of the city is, to say the least, harsh on the eye.
hellolazyness no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2006, 03:35 AM   #78
michal1982
Condom User

Likes (Received): 1

so great thread!!! i love that kind of pictures!!!
michal1982 no está en línea  
Old March 29th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #79
angelika
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

" I've been to Warsaw and I must say the commie blocks which brutally overwhelm much of the city is, to say the least, harsh on the eye.
,,,,,????? " = .....

Stupid !

Warsaw is not this, only 1/5 are maybe commie blocks.... the rest of the city is Green with beautiful old town, new town, modern town etc ..... and the commie blocks are destroyed or transformed !
angelika no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #80
wisza90
Register User

Likes (Received): 19

are destroyed??i dont understand. Commie blocks are staing and will be stay long long..

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=atarix
wisza90 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
classic europe, warsaw, warschau