daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2005, 07:16 AM   #41
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blabbyboy
Aren't you embarrassed to be calling this 240m?! 240m of steel bracing...
Who are you talking to Blabbyboy? Foster wouldn't be embaressed, and neither should we.

Another update pic by CULWULLA:

Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:34 AM   #42
heirloom

Likes (Received): 2

i dont like the building either. not the spire, nor the actual usable part of the building. its neighbours, although very much less interesting, look far better.
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:36 AM   #43
sakor1
Professional amateur

Likes (Received): 7

I love this building! Everything about it, the facade, the spire, the height & proportions, beautiful!!

Stu
Old May 6th, 2005, 12:28 PM   #44
SanMiguel
In Love with HK & BKK

Likes (Received): 60

IMO it looks far more nice than the ugly black/brown box of Mr.Trump...

SanMiguel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:06 PM   #45
Muse
Supernature

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhc8
It's major tenant is Deutsche Bank, it will probably end up being called Deutsche Bank Tower.
Perhaps so as it is the major client to occupy the building. It is now approx. 80% leased with other pre-commitments.

...and a pic by Ipggi while the sun was setting in the west, creating a beautiful silhouette...

Last edited by Muse; May 11th, 2005 at 06:55 AM.
Old May 7th, 2005, 02:39 AM   #46
Koi

Likes (Received): 3

Looks alright but the spire is a bit OTT.
Koi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 06:50 AM   #47
Muse
Supernature

Most of Foster & Partners' designs are OTT.

In regard to the spire, if you haven't already, please see my post about the spire paying homage to the Sydney Harbour Bridge on page 2 of this thread.
Old May 7th, 2005, 08:35 AM   #48
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 37

agree what was said before spire is much needed
got a shock looking at the tower with out it
is just almost nothing
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:31 PM   #49
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10090

guys, the site of the 126 Phillip Street had a 150m height limit due to Sydney city council strict sun access plane guidelines. the Botanical gardens and historic libary are located just east. So foster thought " how can i give this tower landmark proportions with just 150m to work with?". The buildings foyer is column free and 16m high and takes up the whole floor plate (65mx20m), so its a major open space at ground level!
The buildings superstructure frame is actually external and it extends above the roof some 100m to reach 240m.So he has gone from 150m and got approval with 240m!! thats genious in my book! cheater?? nah,silly . it would be cheating if spires were used to achieve a title aka- tallest in Sydney or tallest in Australia but foster didnt give a h00t about final height of spires. he was worried more about proportions.
Foster also gave the floor plates column free space and put the service core separate from the tower. this is connected by a series of bridges which is serviced by 9 glass lifts which rise up and down a 150m high void which runs through the towers central core!!!! Now that is how an office bldg should be designed!
126 Phillip street is like a cathedral, the best and interesting bits are on the INSIDE!!!!

Last edited by CULWULLA; May 10th, 2005 at 05:38 PM.
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:09 AM   #50
sean storm
In the brig

leaving the spires off of this bldg has about as much 'impact' aesthetically as leaving the spires off the chrysler or petronas.... it would be pretty noticable, IMO as an architect.

however, this is just another example of what constitutes the very top of a true bldg. it's 240 to the tip of the twin spires.... good for it. it cheats like hell, much like other bldgs including the new Freedom Tower in NYC, but it's technically 240 according to established rules.

i still think it's a really unremarkable bldg. what makes this bldg so special other than having a massive, oversized truss/spire motif?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriolus
I'm not a big fan of spires which are obviously cheating, but 126 Phillip St's is far more substantial that a stick and an integral part of the design - it's a piece of architechure that includes a tapered frame above the roof, not a little stick (I'll single Q1 out) that is hardly visible and could easily be done without. The cage is substantial enough that you view it as part of bulk of the building and the building would be much worse without it - don't you think?

I think it's a amazing building and I don't suffer any pang of guilt in refering to it as 240m.
sean storm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:15 AM   #51
CG5
prickly

Likes (Received): 1

This looks much nicer than I thought it would when I saw the original renderings. It turned out rather fabulously.
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:26 AM   #52
SydneyDude
me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blabbyboy
aren't you embarrassed to be calling this 240m?! 240m of steel bracing...
hey dude, you really suck!

I LOVE IT SO MUCH IT HURTS......
SydneyDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:13 AM   #53
jag

Likes (Received): 0

Do the spires have a purpose?
"A cigarette is a euphemism for a cleverly crafted product that delivers just the right amount of nicotine to keep its user addicted for life before killing the person," WHO Director General, Dr Gro Harlem Brundtland.
jag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #54
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1518

The purpose is beatuy....
Urban Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #55
Muse
Supernature

^ LOL Urban Dave

Apart from interior works, the base and a little more cladding, this one is almost done.

Most recent pics by CULWULLA...

Old May 29th, 2005, 01:26 AM   #56
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1518

Amazing pictures! Thanks!
Great addition to Sydney Skyline!
Urban Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 02:23 AM   #57
th0m
oemoemenemoe

Likes (Received): 1

From a distance it looks pretty dandy, but close-up, it looks way too bland. The cladding looks like its from the 60's (which, of course, can be either good or bad) but since its combined with such a high-tech spire, I feel they should have incorporated that a little bit more into the building, like the steel framing of the Hearst tower. Regardless of the fact that the Hearst tower has no spire, the building breathes high-tech, and the spotlessness of a building, much like this tower's spire does. I actually wouldn't be suprised of they are made out of the same material. If the Hearst tower would need a spire, this concept could be applied rather nicely. Anyway, I'm getting off track

The spire does look bad-ass, and I'd have it in my town, or even country, any day. But, the overall design leaves much to be desired, in my opinion.

ORANJE

www.pbase.com/th0m for photo's
th0m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 06:58 AM   #58
Cliff
Tan

Likes (Received): 172

I feel that it is an okay building, nothing special. It looks quite good, modern and all, but I feel that it is a stubby little building that got more than what it deserved.

It is overrated if you ask me, both the building and the architect. I'd much prefer Puerta De Europa.
Cliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 07:34 AM   #59
Muse
Supernature

So far some forumers have said the cladding looks 70s, 80s and now 60s. Take your pick! LOL

Considering it will have a 150m atrium, 9 glass enclosed scenic elevators, the latest in communications, a grand lobby with water features, & above all being a Foster & Partner's design, I think it will pass the "high-tech test".