daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 11th, 2006, 06:11 AM   #21
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

What about the different signages in stations around the world, those signages that point to where the platforms (eg. Platform 1: Towards XXXX Station)and exits (Exit A: XXX Road) are?

Since they differ in presentation, which do you prefer most? I am not talking about Metro Logos and which you like. Any pictures to share?
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #22
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2616

In Hong Kong they just recognize one symbol

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #23
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
What about the different signages in stations around the world, those signages that point to where the platforms (eg. Platform 1: Towards XXXX Station)and exits (Exit A: XXX Road) are?

Since they differ in presentation, which do you prefer most? I am not talking about Metro Logos and which you like. Any pictures to share?
Again, London. For such a large system their signage is very comprehensive. It was also one of the first metro networks to have such quality and quantity of signs. I remember riding it a couple of decades ago and was very impressed with the internal signage, something I had not seen in any other network in the world at the time, and it would be many years before I would.

A London's network signage didn't stagnate then, it has improved and evolved since.
Old January 11th, 2006, 12:40 PM   #24
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
Again, London. For such a large system their signage is very comprehensive. It was also one of the first metro networks to have such quality and quantity of signs. I remember riding it a couple of decades ago and was very impressed with the internal signage, something I had not seen in any other network in the world at the time, and it would be many years before I would.

A London's network signage didn't stagnate then, it has improved and evolved since.
Didn't London have the first subway system as well?

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #25
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
Didn't London have the first subway system as well?
Yes, which of cause gives it a head start. But true comprehensive signage didn't really start until much later and there were other networks around the world by then.

Of cause, London's leap ahead came with the schematic network diagram which almost all other networks have since followed.
Old January 12th, 2006, 06:12 AM   #26
Jam35

Likes (Received): 0

London's boring and too uniform. I'm going for New York, for having some seriously artistic efforts:

I'd also give NYC the booby prize though:

I could tile my bathroom better than that.
Jam35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 07:17 AM   #27
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

What about some in Paris ?

N.B : That station is named "Bonne Nouvelle", which can be translated in english as "Good News".

This is just a joke...

Some panos....

Please Scroll ==>

Please Scroll ==>

Please Scroll ==>

Please Scroll ==>

Please Scroll ==>

Please Scroll ==>

Please Scroll ==>

Somme hidden jewells...

Here is Abbesses station :
Please Scroll ==>

And here's what is behind :
Please Scroll ==>

Last edited by Metropolitan; January 12th, 2006 at 07:45 AM.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #28
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

^
I love Arts et metiers Station, the decor is near identical to a nightclub in London (Turnmills)... Copper-effect industrial.

Hasn't the station by the Louvre got exhibits on the platforms?

Anyway, we aren't discussing decor, we're discussing signage.

London Underground has its own unique font, which I think is the clearest typeset ever invented. It pisses on Times New Roman, Arial etc

Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #29
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam35
London's boring and too uniform. I'm going for New York, for having some seriously artistic efforts:

I'd also give NYC the booby prize though:
Totally an unusal thing to write. The London Underground has many excellent tile signage, and there are fan sites on the internet dedicated to them.

e.g: http://www.dougrose.co.uk/ (this site has some excellent examples, and hardly boring like you claim)

Some other images

[IMG]http://thumb.************.com/photos/display_pic_with_logo/129/129,1100722730,9.jpg[/IMG]

One of my personal favourites is Baker Street Station, where all the tiles have images of Sherlock Holmes, the interesting part is that the image on the tiles are made up of thousands of tiny Sherlocks to build the big Sherlocks.

You can just make this out on the image below, all those "dots" are mini Sherlocks

and this link shows detail of the pipe: http://taranowski.com/london/DSC00270.JPG

And other Sherlocks...

Tiles on Tottenham Court Road Station

There are so many more great tiles and ceramics in signs on the Underground, including a fantastic large historical map at Embankment, but I just don't have the time to search them all now...
Old January 12th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #30
Tubeman
Jubilation

Yes... boring...

I have to admit that the Tottenham Court Road mosaics make me want to hurl though... they're vile

Every Victoria Line station has its own theming on the tiling too, some a bit tenuous (e.g. a maze for Warren Street).
Old January 12th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #31
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Likes (Received): 9

nick_taylor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 05:29 PM   #32
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman
^
I love Arts et metiers Station, the decor is near identical to a nightclub in London (Turnmills)... Copper-effect industrial.

London Underground has its own unique font, which I think is the clearest typeset ever invented. It pisses on Times New Roman, Arial etc
it's comic!!! there are people, who says always, the London metro is the best in the whole world. and the only reason for that?- it's just the first one.
and thats the only true sentencwe of london tube.

they say it's the bigest one, it's the most beautiful, it's the best, because it's the oldest.
but there are much more dense subways in the world (Paris, Madrid for ex.)
there are much more fast subways in the world (Moscow, Munich, Washington)
there are much more beautifull subways in the world (Moscow again, Hongkong)
there are much more clean subways in the world (almost every one , Warsaw, Singapur, Tokyo)
there are much more modern subways in the world (almost every subway is more modern again)
and so on.....

the fact is, the unique font of London tube is not so bad, but to say it's the clearest one, it's just exaggerated.

the next fact is: the names of london tube lines are just stupid and uncomfortable for passangers. the numbers are the best solution

another fact is: the branches of L.T. are too many for calling them one line.
it's not a big deal when the line has two branches, like M13 in Paris, or M1 in Milan, but in the case of district or northern lines there are just to many of them, it's confusing.

that above it's maybe a bit too hard, but it's strange that people think about london tube as a kind of dogma. it's the biggest one and one of the coolest systems but it's not the best one in every aspect.
and about the signage, it's not bad, but in some places it's just the hell (Bank and Monument)

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #33
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Likes (Received): 9

I didn't see anyone here claim that the London Underground was somehow the greatest subway in the world...what people have noted though is the symbolism and signage in stations, on trains and in maps. Although London might not have the most modern, the cleanest, the most beautiful, the densest or the fastest it adequately scores across the board and that is where the London Underground strengths are: not in one area of transport, but across many.

With you other points I think thats more personal preference, as I'm unsure how line names is 'uncomfortable' as they pretty much indicate their routes:
Bakerloo Line: Baker Street & Waterloo; Central Line: Through Central London; Circle Line: Around Central London; District Line: Sprawling out into the suburbs; East London Line: In East London; Hammersmith & City Line: Connects Hammersmith and the City of London; Jubilee Line: No real geographical preference; Metropolitan Line: No real geographical preference; Northern Line: Dominates North London; Piccadilly Line: Main line through Piccadilly Circus; Victoria Line: Connects to Victoria Station; Waterloo & City Line: Connects Waterloo with the City of London

And if remembering a simple line name is confusing, then surely the possibility of station names must be even more daunting? I don't know of any system that relies totally upon using numbers for station 'titles' across the entire network - do you?

There are though ways around any problem and it so happens that London was the first city that pioneered the circuit-map (that so many cities have adopted) and ensured lines were legible and easily distibguishable from all the others. London was also the first city to clearly identify each line in a solid colour so even if you didn't know the name of the line; you could rely simply on the colour without worry of any alphanumerical figures. I do not see any problem with the branches, its not like it goes against a set definition of what a rail line must be! Audio and visual notices on platforms across the network will indicate the direction or branch the train is taking! At larger underground stations there are specific platforms for the different branch lines, much like other large stations around the world (eg train termini), so its not like its a gamble what train you get on!

Regarding Bank & Monument, the only problem is in the subway underneath the road junction with the various entrances/exits...but even then these are clearly noted and I think they are even numbered even drawings of the road and surroundings above, so I don't understand exactly where the problem there lies!
nick_taylor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 10:37 PM   #34
Overground

Likes (Received): 125

Well said!

I definitely agree that names of lines telling me where the train might be going or passing through, is better than a numbered line which is telling me nil. This is how I learned to get around Tokyo for so many years as they have the same model as London.
Overground no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #35
Justme
Gotta lite?

^ It's also why some car parks have tried naming the floors or zones and adding a colour. People often find it easier to remember a name and colour. Funny thing, The London Underground has been doing this for well over a hundred years.

Look at it another way. What do you list your friends phone numbers in your mobile by, their number, or their name?

If all the forumer's here were given numbers instead of usernames, would it be easier to remember who was who when reading posts?
Old January 13th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #36
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

so, why London Transport don't give the names for bus lines?

i think with the phone numbers in my mobile u may be right, but with transport lines (it doesn't matter subway or bus) it's better just a letter or number,

in such Paris, Berlin, Barcelona or wherever u just say: 'u must go by tube, line 3' and in London u have to say: 'u must go by tube, Hammersmith and city line' !! that is tooooooo long!!

besides the name such as 'Central' doesn't say anythink, all lines (except the east london line) are going throu central London
'Bekerloo' goes from Beker street to woterloo but the 'jubilee' also does
'Metropolitan' - metropolitan are all of the tube lines
'Circle' it's ok, it is indeed the only one that goes around the city, but it doesn't say anything else
'Northern' - are not the only lines going to northern London, the Victoria and Piccadilly also are and even Central and Metropolitan and Bekerloo and jubilee, besides, Victoria is only one of the 3 lines passing this train station
'District' as the other lines is going outside central London
so the names don't tell to passangers so much as the numbers would tell.

i can understand that's tradition, but it's nothing else. there are no more any excuse for such names, they just don't mean any more what they used to in the past.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #37
Metropolitan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman
^

I wasn't showing decoration, I was showing the stations signs. If I've shown full stations, it was to show signs which were integrally part of the station design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
^ It's also why some car parks have tried naming the floors or zones and adding a colour. People often find it easier to remember a name and colour. Funny thing, The London Underground has been doing this for well over a hundred years.

Look at it another way. What do you list your friends phone numbers in your mobile by, their number, or their name?

If all the forumer's here were given numbers instead of usernames, would it be easier to remember who was who when reading posts?
This is just a matter of habit. No matter what system, you'll alway remember the colour before the name, and this no matter the name.

My sister lives on the Brown line in London. Of course this is Bakerloo, but I remember it firstly because of its colour, not because of its name. Just like I live on the dark green line in Paris, which is the line 12, but people remember before everything the colour of the line.

All systems are different and should be accepted as such.
Old January 13th, 2006, 12:55 AM   #38
Metropolitan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz
so, why London Transport don't give the names for bus lines?

i think with the phone numbers in my mobile u may be right, but with transport lines (it doesn't matter subway or bus) it's better just a letter or number,

in such Paris, Berlin, Barcelona or wherever u just say: 'u must go by tube, line 3' and in London u have to say: 'u must go by tube, Hammersmith and city line' !! that is tooooooo long!!

besides the name such as 'Central' doesn't say anythink, all lines (except the east london line) are going throu central London
'Bekerloo' goes from Beker street to woterloo but the 'jubilee' also does
'Metropolitan' - metropolitan are all of the tube lines
'Circle' it's ok, it is indeed the only one that goes around the city, but it doesn't say anything else
'Northern' - are not the only lines going to northern London, the Victoria and Piccadilly also are and even Central and Metropolitan and Bekerloo and jubilee, besides, Victoria is only one of the 3 lines passing this train station
'District' as the other lines is going outside central London
so the names don't tell to passangers so much as the numbers would tell.

i can understand that's tradition, but it's nothing else. there are no more any excuse for such names, they just don't mean any more what they used to in the past.
In the past, Paris metro lines were called as their termini stations, as most lines ended at the gates of the city of Paris.

Line 1 was called "Maillot-Vincennes".
Line 2 was called "Dauphine-Nation"
Line 4 was called "Orléans-Clignancourt", etc...

Once, it's been finally authorized to expand the metro outside of the city of Paris, many lines have been extended, and this way of naming lines lost its interests since termini were constantly changing. Hence the number of the lines superceded their termini as their "official" name.

Personally, I like better to call my metro line the line 12 instead of "Issy-la Chapelle"... as that's rather a long name and it takes me a longer time to make the association. However my grand father still name subway lines according to their older name, even if the termini have changed !

For instance I was talking about the line 11 and he obviously weren't getting which line I was talking about, and then he told me : "Oh you're talking Châtelet-Les Lilas !". That's only a matter of habit I guess.

Last edited by Metropolitan; January 13th, 2006 at 01:01 AM.
Old January 13th, 2006, 01:24 AM   #39
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz
it's comic!!! there are people, who says always, the London metro is the best in the whole world. and the only reason for that?- it's just the first one.
and thats the only true sentencwe of london tube.

they say it's the bigest one, it's the most beautiful, it's the best, because it's the oldest.
but there are much more dense subways in the world (Paris, Madrid for ex.)
there are much more fast subways in the world (Moscow, Munich, Washington)
there are much more beautifull subways in the world (Moscow again, Hongkong)
there are much more clean subways in the world (almost every one , Warsaw, Singapur, Tokyo)
there are much more modern subways in the world (almost every subway is more modern again)
and so on.....

the fact is, the unique font of London tube is not so bad, but to say it's the clearest one, it's just exaggerated.

the next fact is: the names of london tube lines are just stupid and uncomfortable for passangers. the numbers are the best solution

another fact is: the branches of L.T. are too many for calling them one line.
it's not a big deal when the line has two branches, like M13 in Paris, or M1 in Milan, but in the case of district or northern lines there are just to many of them, it's confusing.

that above it's maybe a bit too hard, but it's strange that people think about london tube as a kind of dogma. it's the biggest one and one of the coolest systems but it's not the best one in every aspect.
and about the signage, it's not bad, but in some places it's just the hell (Bank and Monument)
What the?...

You quote my post about our typeface then go on a rant about why the Underground is crap.

I won't bother answering your feeble 'points' as we're discussing signage here, suffice to say you're talking rubbish.
Old January 13th, 2006, 01:32 AM   #40
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitan
I wasn't showing decoration, I was showing the stations signs. If I've shown full stations, it was to show signs which were integrally part of the station design.

This is just a matter of habit. No matter what system, you'll alway remember the colour before the name, and this no matter the name.

My sister lives on the Brown line in London. Of course this is Bakerloo, but I remember it firstly because of its colour, not because of its name. Just like I live on the dark green line in Paris, which is the line 12, but people remember before everything the colour of the line.

All systems are different and should be accepted as such.
This is where you're wrong though... No Londoner says "I live on the brown line"... The line names are the first choice of description. They all have short, snappy names apart from the last 2 to be invented (East London and Hammersmith & City). The names are much more memorable and evocative than a number or letter, and they are always used by Londoners in preference to the colour on the map. "Take the blue line" someone might say "Which one? Dark blue, light blue or turquoise?" would be the response!

A lot of the names are colloquailly shortened further by Londoners:

Metropolitan = Met
Waterloo & City = The Drain
Jubilee = Jube
Piccadilly = Pic
Victoria = Vic
Northern = Misery