daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2016, 04:15 PM   #121
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Your post #117 obviously is something you don't like then.

Oh please. Many on this forum can, including me. Some things obviously are more down to taste, while other qualities are quite universal, say the quality of sandstone and bricks as facade materials, a corinthian column or a glass-domed areaway. I appreciate good modernism a lot, and you'll encounter several posts of mine emphasizing and showing this.

However, Old Penn wasn't a modernist gem, but happened to be a classical piece. And its universal acclaim would obviously tell us that it's a great loss. After all, the Penn was the cause for the American preservation movement, so there was at least one 'good thing' about its demolition... Even more so, Penn's reconstruction would be an enormously symbolic act of public appreciation for the preservation movement, and of reconciliation between 'modernists' and 'classicists'.

Architecture should finally be less about ideologies and their stupid fights, zeitgeist fashions and short-sighted profit prospects, and more about harmony, verifiably working urbanism/community and functionality, context, beauty, quality, sustainability and timelessness again.
First of all my posts are not parodies, since they have lots of real arguments for a change, I am not the one that calls buildings with words such as crimes/atrocities just because I don't like them. Second, please don't even try to put the Chrysler building in the same cage as some of the buildings you obviously seem to like so much. Last, but not least I have a question for you: do you really think that buildings such as 30 Park Place and 220 Central Park South are good enough to grace the skyline of New York? That's all I would like to know.

Last edited by Architecture lover; April 20th, 2016 at 04:32 PM.
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2016, 01:40 PM   #122
airpix84
New York City Lover

Likes (Received): 52

As an architect I totally agree that the Old Penn Station was an amazing and astonishing piece of architecture both as a building and as a 'space design'.
Watching all those pictures really thrills me about what could that be today with a great intervention that would merge contemporary with classical (take as a quick reference Liverpool Street Station in London, UK).

At the same time I truly believe that things like 30 Park Place and the new version 200 Central Park South are really bad. There is no quality in it even if you call them luxury and I am speaking from a design point of view.
My Tumblr
airpix84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 04:40 PM   #123
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1442

Gov. Cuomo vows to reject any affordable tax credit program with no fair labor provisions

Your Trusted Source of Photographs from Pennsylvania and New York
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 05:05 PM   #124
Weissenberg
Grid or Riot

Likes (Received): 297

My question is, would the state of NY be able to afford such a project without the influx of lease money they're currently getting from MSG + 2 Penn Plaza? I'm talking about rebuilding the original station.
Weissenberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2016, 03:25 AM   #125
ophizer

Likes (Received): 132

what lease money

ophizer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2016, 04:04 AM   #126
Fotografer

Likes (Received): 166

The design of the new station is not bad, but the restoration of the old is much better!
I do not understand how you could choose for this project as all the other was better (both rebuild, or futuristic ideas)?
Please Only no popular of lies, that does not pays, because formerly, without all the modern technology pays off (old station)!
Fotografer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2016, 04:33 AM   #127
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
BIG Plans Revealed For Two Penn Plaza Transformation
http://newyorkyimby.com/2016/03/big-...formation.html

Very sorry but this just looks bad. Gimmicky, childish, no elegance. How many times can the 'pull/fold the corners up' idea be sold?

bodegavendetta liked this post
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2016, 04:36 AM   #128
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2102

I change my mind. They didn't even have to bring back the old station, they just had to make the design of the new one look less tacky than this!
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2016, 02:37 PM   #129
mrsmartman

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Tunnel_Extension

Your Trusted Source of Photographs from Pennsylvania and New York

erbse liked this post
Old April 28th, 2016, 03:25 PM   #130
Weissenberg
Grid or Riot

Likes (Received): 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophizer View Post
what lease money

My bad, I got confused by a number of articles suggesting that the arena (or the land upon which the arena is built) isn't owned by MSG, which apparently isn't true. In other words, you can forget about my previous post. I never said anything about any lease money.

ophizer liked this post
Weissenberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2016, 05:56 PM   #131
McSky

Likes (Received): 1875

Horrific.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2016, 06:42 AM   #132
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16989

Taken Yesterday - 4/30/16

Midtown Post Office
by Corey Best, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

erbse, mrsmartman liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2016, 08:33 AM   #133
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16989

I posted my mini tour of the horrid Penn Station here
Visit the New Jersey Section

erbse liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2016, 02:44 PM   #134
mrsmartman

TSA’s Penn Station PreCheck Center Will Close Soon

Quote:
Temporary site accepts applications for access to shorter airport security lines
Read more: http://www.wsj.com/articles/tsas-pen...oon-1469495969

Transportation Security Administration workers assist customers at the administration's temporary PreCheck program enrollment booth at the United Airlines counter in Penn Station. PHOTO: CLAUDIO PAPAPIETRO FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

Your Trusted Source of Photographs from New York and New Jersey
Old September 27th, 2016, 10:45 PM   #135
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

It's happening people!!

Comeback kids: Related, Vornado win bid for Moynihan Station
http://therealdeal.com/2016/09/27/co...nihan-station/

Quote:
After being kicked off the Moynihan Station project earlier this year, the Related Companies and Vornado Realty Trust are back.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Tuesday that Related, Vornado and Skanska won the bid for the redevelopment of the James A. Farley Post Office, which known as Moynihan Train Hall and feature 700,000 square feet of office and retail space and train halls for both Amtrak and the Long Island Rail Road.

The decision doesn’t come as much of a surprise, since Vornado and Related had a leg up on the competition. They were tapped in 2005 to develop the station and were only jettisoned from the project earlier this year. The design-build team has agreed to a fixed schedule and budget for the project, which is expected to be completed in 2020 and cost roughly $1.6 billion — $600 million from the developers, $570 million from Empire State Development (ESD) and $425 million from Amtrak, LIRR, Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, and other federal sources. The redeveloped Farley building will feature 112,000 square feet of retail space, 588,000 square feet of office and a 225,000-square-foot train hall.

The announcement, however, did come with a few surprises: one that AMTRAK and LIRR will share space in the James Farley Post Office, rather than just house a train hall for the former. The second was that the design-build team will not be tackling a redesign of Penn Station. That portion of the project will be handled by a separate request for proposals. The MTA is planning to rebuild the current LIRR concourse in Penn Station — what Cuomo on Tuesday referred to as catacombs — and two subway stations. ESD and Amtrak, meanwhile, will issue a separate RFP to rebuild the current Amtrak space in Penn Station. The new LIRR concourse at 33rd Street will be widened to three-times its current 25 feet, have higher ceilings and feature LED video screens on the ceiling that will project blue skies — a far cry from the hellish metaphor that the governor is fond of using when it comes to the station but not quite as illustrious as a previous design option that would have brought natural light down to the “catacombs.”

Quote:
The joint RFPs issued in January gave bidders the option to either redevelop both Penn Station and Moynihan, or tackle the projects individually. The RFPs offered five different design options for the redevelopment of Penn Station, one of which included removing Madison Square Garden’s Paramount Theater to create a grand entrance at Eighth Avenue. Another option called for creating an entrance at Seventh Avenue, while another — the option that is moving forward — involved renovating the interior of Penn Station without major exterior changes.
In response to a question at an Association for Better New York event, Cuomo indicated that there are no plans to relocate Madison Square Garden, though its operating permit at its current space expires in seven years. Cuomo said the state has the option down the road to buy part of the stadium to expand Penn Station, but MSG likes its current location.
Hard to imagine that within 4-5 years Penn Station (Moynihan Station really) will look like this...

Last edited by Ghostface79; September 27th, 2016 at 10:51 PM.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 02:51 PM   #136
JohnDee

Likes (Received): 242

Nice! What an improvement over the current Amtrak waiting areas.

Last edited by JohnDee; September 29th, 2016 at 03:06 PM.
JohnDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 05:19 AM   #137
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

Now THAT is a masterpiece and will be an incredible space, like the great glass trainsheds of Europe!

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 07:41 PM   #138
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Anybody have any photos of the current courtyard, like a 'before' picture?
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 10:12 PM   #139
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Anybody have any photos of the current courtyard, like a 'before' picture?

ThatOneGuy, streetscapeer, AbidM liked this post
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 10:30 PM   #140
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 517

I think that narrower courtyard to the west will be part of the new north side entrance to the station.
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote