daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 18th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #21
rororo

Likes (Received): 0

Home to the Chicago White sox and U.S. Cellular Field (formerly Comiskey Park ), old churches, and some of the most beautiful architecture in Chicago
rororo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #22
Azn_chi_boi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Does anybody know about the Jewel on Halsted and 30th? They have signs up everywhere that they are closing on September 6 at 3pm.

They have a mega huge parking lot that is more than 3/4 of a block long.

I wonder what are they going to build on that Jewel there...

*kinda hope for a Borders*

But given the price of land here in Bridgeport, probably more of those ever building, town houses.

Here is an excerpt of the article

Jewel-Osco grocery in Bridgeport to close
'FOOD DESERT' | Chain to sell property at 3033 S. Halsted

August 8, 2007
BY SANDRA GUY [email protected]
A Jewel-Osco grocery store in Mayor Daley's old Bridgeport neighborhood will close Sept. 6 and the property will be sold

http://www.suntimes.com/business/501...ewel08.article
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #23
kendo26

I don't think we'll know what will happen to the Jewel property until Supervalu actually sells it to someone. While this was a very old Jewel, I think the article is a little off on it's date, it was still serviceable to the community and I'm going to miss being able to walk to the store.
kendo26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 06:22 AM   #24
lalucedm

That sucks...a lot.

That Jewel, though ancient, is the only mainstream food store in Bridgeport. The only other food stores of any type are the Halsted Food Mart at 34th & Halsted and the little Egg Store across from that Jewel. Personally, I guess I'll end up splitting my shopping between that already over-taxed Jewel at Roosevelt & Wabash and the remaining places in Bridgeport for quick runs.

I agree, that land is probably pretty valuable as houses or townhomes or something otherwise wasteful of inner city land....or possibly something larger, such as condos, but Bridgeport is generally zoned too low-rise for that. Since we're losing our grocery store, people will now have to drive to buy groceries and other necessities, and therefore those new townhouses will now have large garages...
lalucedm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 06:38 AM   #25
lalucedm

That 6-story condo building at 35th & Halsted, as previously mentioned, is pretty much complete.

There's a nice modern townhouse development at 33rd & Parnell that I walk by every day, but seems to get ignored. It seems about done also.

There's an 8-story building going up on only 2 lots next to Ferro's by 31st & Wentworth. They seem to have stopped after the first floor, though...

And, of course, there are single-family houses going up on vacant lots or in place of teardowns everywhere. The ones I really don't understand are the Armour Park Homes going up backing directly onto the railroad embankment along Stewart between 31st & 33rd in a somewhat industrial area. That rail embankment is actually a fairly large freight switching yard, and also carries Metra and Amtrak trains. And yet, they seem to be able to charge half a million for a row of identical, run-of-the-mill houses. Me no understand.

The new police station is definitely underway. Is it seriously going to be 2 blocks long?? What's gonna happen to the old one, though? Can't say it's particularly nice, but the fire station next to it is pretty handsome.

----------------

Retail-wise, Bridgeport has been pretty depleted for a while, with plenty of empty, ancient storefronts. There have been some positive strides recently, like Trattoria 31 and Scoops opening on 31st. The departure of Jewel is a major step backwards, though.
lalucedm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #26
kendo26

There's a sign in front of those Townhomes on 33rd that says there 60% sold. So far I think only one or two units have been occupied. I also thought those homes along Stewart were in a strange place.

As far as Bridgeport's Commercial District, I think the Police station will spur the redevelopment of Halsted. I think the land along Halsted, is zoned commercial so perhaps we won't get more Townhomes.
Old August 20th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #27
skobabe8

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalucedm View Post

The new police station is definitely underway. Is it seriously going to be 2 blocks long?? What's gonna happen to the old one, though? Can't say it's particularly nice, but the fire station next to it is pretty handsome.
Chicago Firehouse Restaurant II?
skobabe8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #28
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Unfortunately, Chicago has been using new police stations as a way to occupy unused retail frontage along major arteries, as at 63rd and Homan. They take up one whole block with a parking lot.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 02:26 AM   #29
kendo26

Yeah, the new 9th district is taking up a block and a half stopping right next to Healthy Food, at least the police will have a close place to eat
Old August 22nd, 2007, 05:37 AM   #30
Azn_chi_boi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

I also find why would people live on townhouses where their backyard is the railroad at 32nd and Stewart.

Really, a new firehouse is going to be built, I have not heard of that.

Bridgeport may be lacking a retail business, but all of those big-boxx stores are going to be built 2 miles away at Canal and Roosevelt.
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 02:52 PM   #31
southloopscotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalucedm View Post
That sucks...a lot.

That Jewel, though ancient, is the only mainstream food store in Bridgeport. The only other food stores of any type are the Halsted Food Mart at 34th & Halsted and the little Egg Store across from that Jewel. Personally, I guess I'll end up splitting my shopping between that already over-taxed Jewel at Roosevelt & Wabash and the remaining places in Bridgeport for quick runs.

I agree, that land is probably pretty valuable as houses or townhomes or something otherwise wasteful of inner city land....or possibly something larger, such as condos, but Bridgeport is generally zoned too low-rise for that. Since we're losing our grocery store, people will now have to drive to buy groceries and other necessities, and therefore those new townhouses will now have large garages...

Indeed!
I used to live off of Halsted and 31st and walked there all the time!
The Halsted Market is way over priced and pretty nasty! I guess the Jewel at Roosevelt is going to be even more overrun than now!

Yet another reason for me to shop at Whole Foods...
southloopscotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote