daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 18th, 2016, 04:47 PM   #1
Manazir

Likes (Received): 513

MISC | Aircraft Scale Models (GeminiJets/Herpa/JC Wings/Phoenix/Hogan/Dragonwings)

Hey guys,

I opened this thread to discuss scale model collections of different airliners. As most of us here are aviation enthusiasts/experts, I am sure that some of us are also into collecting model aircraft since this is one of the important hobbies for people who are into Aviation. So this thread is going to be purely all about model aircraft and their manufacturers.

So, anyone who would like to share their collections can post pictures/videos and/or simply can type down the models they collected - airline, aircraft, registration, and scale. Would be also nice to share other information regarding how to collect the models, where to buy them, which models are upcoming etc etc.
Not sure how interesting this thread will be, but hopefully I'm sure some of us will find it cool.

My recently started Travel Blog

Zaz965 liked this post
Manazir no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2016, 04:59 PM   #2
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2205

I only have the one, an Aer Lingus Carvair

https://www.marksmodels.com/images/d...1331252361.jpg
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 03:45 PM   #3
Manazir

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
I only have the one, an Aer Lingus Carvair

https://www.marksmodels.com/images/d...1331252361.jpg
Any particular reason for this "classic" collection of yours?

Old January 21st, 2016, 02:51 PM   #4
TallBox

Likes (Received): 422

For 30 years of my life I was an idiot; I collected model airplanes with no respect to commonality in scale or anything like that. As a result I've got everything from those huge cheap aeroplanes that light up you find in flea markets, to airfix sets, to micromachines.

Anyway, just last month I started having a strategy and now I buy 1/400 scale gemini jets, those aircraft models (or at least airlines) I feel strongly about and/or symbolise/typify an airline (e.g. British Airways B747-400, Emirates B777-300ER or A380, American Airlines A321 etc). I also try and buy aircraft that I've flown own, or are just cool - purely subjective.

I also only started now cos these models ain't cheap and you've got to be earning some good moola to be able to afford them. I had a buying splurge over the holidays and now I have 5 a/c in my fleet. Did a pretty good job of not making it look like I sold the silverware to pay for it to the wife, but I think I'll wait 2-3 months until my next purchase

So far, my fleet includes:
  • Etihad A340-500 - flew on this a bunch AUH-LHR when I was working in Abu Dhabi and racked up my miles with Etihad Guest
  • Virgin Atlantic A340-600 - not actually flown on a Virgin A346, but this was going for cheap on eBay
  • Sri Lankan Airlines A330-200 - flown this a lot when I go to Sri Lanka
  • Delta B767-300ER - this model with winglets in Delta colours looks the business
  • American Airlines B777-300ER - I'm a big fan of the new American Airlines livery, but this model doesn't do it justice

My next few purchases are likely to be:
  • British Airways B747-400 - very expensive
  • Emirates A380
  • British Airways B777-200ER
  • Finnair A350-900 - the A350 in Finnair livery looks baddass
  • Lufthansa B747-8 - but not in the 'Fanhansa' livery
  • B787 - I'm not sure which airline typifies the B787 though. Maybe ANA? I think Norwegian Air Shuttle really makes the B787 'work', though. Suggestions?

'Classic' aircraft I'd like to get are:

Gulf Air B767 - some of the best holidays I had when I was 10-14 years old were taken with Gulf Air in their 767s

Airlanka Tristar - first airplane I flew on

Condor B747-200 - I had a toy model that I battered and abused as a child. Like I say, I was an idiot. I miss it dearly

I'd love to be rich enough to have an office with a huge table and model airport with these models on, but that may take a few years!

Manazir, Zaz965, Kutsuit, mrsmartman, KB335ci2 liked this post

Last edited by TallBox; January 21st, 2016 at 03:18 PM.
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 09:28 PM   #5
klm.b777

Likes (Received): 32

I almost have about 100 models in the scale 1:400.. They are all made by GeminiJets and Phoenix Models..

My biggest airline collection is KLM and Etihad in the new colours..
My biggest airplane collection is of the Airbus A380..

I started my collection with Dragon Wings models, but they we're bad quality and changed them for models with great quality (Gemini / Phoenix)..

I will post some pictures this weekend of my collection..

- KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
- Etihad Airways
- A380's

Zaz965 liked this post
klm.b777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 10:52 PM   #6
Manazir

Finally we are getting somewhere!

@Tallbox, Thank you so much, first of all, for sharing with us your model collections' pictures and so on

When it comes to aircraft type, I mostly collect the ones which are my favorites from both Boeing and Airbus (I don't go for anything else other than these two) although when it comes to Airline, my collections are more "diverse" in that case, but I do try to focus mainly on the ones which have a good livery/logo! A boring airline livery certainly doesn't look good on your aircraft model display. However I plan to collect different Airlines' models from each continent.

I do agree with you that unfortunately, they are quite expensive, and especially more for a student like me! Although I have saved up some money, lately it seems that I have been spending them mostly on aircraft models. Not sure whether I should feel good or bad about it though :P ....
I could wait, save up more and buy later of course but that has a downside! You see, these models don't stay on the market for too long as there is lot of demand against a small supply (they are mostly produced in limited numbers). So everytime an airline receives a new aircraft or a livery, they usually produce a model for that. So sometime I just buy them in bulk, pay and feel broke but at least I got my hands on them and I can wait and rest until I save up again and something better comes up in a few months time for example.

I am going to post my collections quite soon BTW, for 787 you could get many Airliners since many of them now operate the Dreamliner. But, would you like to get 787-8 or -9? ANA would be good of course. I have Etihad, KLM, and British Airways so far and all are B787-9s

TallBox liked this post
Old January 22nd, 2016, 07:36 PM   #7
Manazir

Quote:
Originally Posted by klm.b777 View Post
I almost have about 100 models in the scale 1:400.. They are all made by GeminiJets and Phoenix Models..

My biggest airline collection is KLM and Etihad in the new colours..
My biggest airplane collection is of the Airbus A380..

I started my collection with Dragon Wings models, but they we're bad quality and changed them for models with great quality (Gemini / Phoenix)..

I will post some pictures this weekend of my collection..
Hey there neighbor!
100 models? holyy sh** Impressive! even I haven't planned to collect that much! I've got 13 so far and according to my 'list' altogether I plan to get until about 50-60 aircraft haha.

But I must say, I purchase them of course online from your country, perhaps u use the same sites?

I haven't got any from Dragon Wings and I noticed there aren't much of Dragon Wings products on these sites so I guess it's due to the bad quality as you said. Looking forward to your pictures soon though!

Old January 23rd, 2016, 10:37 AM   #8
klm.b777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manazir View Post
Hey there neighbor!
100 models? holyy sh** Impressive! even I haven't planned to collect that much! I've got 13 so far and according to my 'list' altogether I plan to get until about 50-60 aircraft haha.

But I must say, I purchase them of course online from your country, perhaps u use the same sites?

I haven't got any from Dragon Wings and I noticed there aren't much of Dragon Wings products on these sites so I guess it's due to the bad quality as you said. Looking forward to your pictures soon though!

Hi there,

I use www.aviationmegastore.com and www.arcunia.com for ordering my models..

Dragon Wings is not even making models anymore, because the other manufacturers are much better and detailed.. I am collecting for about 17 years now, so my collection is not growing fast.. I will post some pictures tommorow..

- Etihad Airways
- A380's
Old January 23rd, 2016, 03:35 PM   #9
Manazir

Quote:
Hi there,

I use www.aviationmegastore.com and www.arcunia.com for ordering my models..

Dragon Wings is not even making models anymore, because the other manufacturers are much better and detailed.. I am collecting for about 17 years now, so my collection is not growing fast.. I will post some pictures tommorow..
I only recently found out about Arcunia so I haven't used it. However they have nearly the same products as on Aviation Megastore, which I already used a few times and its a pretty good site, especially cuz they still have some models which are not so widely available anymore. In addition to that, I use also Aircraftmodelstore.co.uk and Scalemodelstore. I also use Ebay as a last resort if I can't find a particular model on these sites.

I'd say on average you're collecting 5 aircraft a year

Old January 24th, 2016, 06:15 PM   #10
klm.b777

As promised..

[IMG][/IMG]

[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

- Etihad Airways
- A380's

mrsmartman, Zaz965 liked this post
Old January 25th, 2016, 11:23 AM   #11
Manazir

Well that's a lot of boxes! Although we were hoping to see pictures of aircraft more I think, instead of the boxes

Old January 25th, 2016, 12:37 PM   #12
klm.b777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manazir View Post

Well that's a lot of boxes! Although we were hoping to see pictures of aircraft more I think, instead of the boxes

Oke, next weekend I will try to post some pictures..

- Etihad Airways
- A380's
Old January 25th, 2016, 09:11 PM   #13
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

Quote:
As promised..

[IMG][/IMG]

[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Super jealous of your A380 fleet. I wish gemini jets would put more A380s on sale. I have a large collection/fleet of cargo planes from all the big cargo carriers of the world. I will post a picture(s) when I have a chance. I was wondering if anyone knew a good site besides ebay and amazon to get some good models that arent for sale on the regular websites? Also can someone send me a link to the phoenix models website that allows you to order them because I cant find anything and the help email site still hasnt responded back to me.

Zaz965 liked this post
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 06:55 PM   #14
Manazir

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR66 View Post
Super jealous of your A380 fleet. I wish gemini jets would put more A380s on sale. I have a large collection/fleet of cargo planes from all the big cargo carriers of the world. I will post a picture(s) when I have a chance. I was wondering if anyone knew a good site besides ebay and amazon to get some good models that arent for sale on the regular websites? Also can someone send me a link to the phoenix models website that allows you to order them because I cant find anything and the help email site still hasnt responded back to me.
I didn't understand what you meant by "regular websites", like websites solely dedicated to selling aircraft models? or could you clarify please?

and here is the Phoenix site you requested: http://www.phoenix-model.net/

Old January 27th, 2016, 05:50 PM   #15
Manazir

My 1:200 aircraft model collection

Hi guys, so as promised earlier, I am right now posting pictures of my aircraft collection, which are at 1:200 scale. I have a total 6 of these. Later I am also going to post my 1:400 aircraft models which I have a lot more. Stay tuned and now I hope you enjoy these

EK B777-300ER, A6-EGQ

KL B787-9, PH-BHA (received it before it was named to "Zonnebloem")

EY B787-9, A6-BLA

QR A330-300, A7-AEB

SQ A350-900, 9V-SMA

LH A340-600, D-AIHN "Gummersbach"

TallBox, mrsmartman, Mr_Dru, Zaz965, Noodles7 liked this post
Old February 6th, 2016, 04:16 PM   #16
Manazir

My 1:400 aircraft collections

As promised earlier, I am finally posting pictures of my 1:400 aircraft models. I must say, with 17 of these beauties in my "fleet" right now, I am quite proud of my collection. However, this is not yet, the end of course! Stay tuned

BA B787-9, G-ZBKA

NZ B777-200ER, ZK-OKC

SQ B777-300ER, 9V-SWA

QR B777-200LR, A7-BBB

EK B777-300ER, A6-EGE

EY A340-600, A6-EHE

TK B777-300ER, TC-JJU

CX B777-300ER, B-KPM

KA A330-300, B-HYD

CA B777-300ER, B-2006

SU A330-300, VQ-BCU

KL B777-300ER, PH-BVN

LO B787-8, SP-LRB

GA B777-300ER, PK-GII 'Skyteam'

CZ A330-200, B-6516

VS B787-9, G-VAHH

LH B747-8i, D-ABYT

Tails #1

Tails #2

Mr_Dru, TallBox liked this post
Old March 9th, 2016, 03:00 PM   #17
Manazir

Hi guys,

I am offering two of my aircraft models up for sale! Both are 1:200 scale :

Lufthansa A340-600
Qatar Airways A330-300

If anyone is interested in collecting these rare models, please contact me on private message, Thanks!

Old March 14th, 2016, 10:58 PM   #18
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

I've actually thought of getting a small collection of scale model aircraft myself, especially that I see the Herpa aircraft models being showcased at a few toy shops and enthusiast stores here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Perhaps I should look out for aircraft that really represent my take on travel, like the Boeing 747, Boeing 777, Airbus A330, Airbus A340, Airbus A350, or Airbus A380.

And by the way, I will modify the thread name to make it easier to find. Plus I'll put this on the index.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

Manazir, Zaz965 liked this post
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 11:28 PM   #19
ESPImperium

Likes (Received): 147

Im trying to amass a 1:400 collection of one of every aircraft model and type from Airbus and Boeing with a few key types from MD as well.

So far i have:
McDonnell Douglas DC3 - American Airlines
Airbus A319 - US Airways PSA livery
Airbus A320 - Lufthansa
Airbus A321 - British Airways
Airbus A330-300 - Iberia
Boeing 737-800 - Delta
Boeing 737-900 - Westjet
Boeing 767-300 - United
Boeing 787-900 - Virgin
Boeing 777-300 - Emirates
Boeing 747-400 - British Airways Condor Livery

I want the following:
Airbus A310
Airbus A330-200
Airbus A340
Airbus A350-900 - Qatar Airlines
Airbus A380-800 - British Airways or Lufthansa
Boeing 737-3
Boeing 737-700
Embraer E190 and E195
ATR 72
BAE Avro 146

I want a nice collection with aircraft that i have flown on or has a strong aviation history pull with quality airline liveries past and present.

Manazir liked this post
ESPImperium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 12:37 PM   #20
Manazir

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
I've actually thought of getting a small collection of scale model aircraft myself, especially that I see the Herpa aircraft models being showcased at a few toy shops and enthusiast stores here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Perhaps I should look out for aircraft that really represent my take on travel, like the Boeing 747, Boeing 777, Airbus A330, Airbus A340, Airbus A350, or Airbus A380.

And by the way, I will modify the thread name to make it easier to find. Plus I'll put this on the index.
As an aviation fan, perhaps you should collect some models like myself. Speaking of which, I noticed we both have some similarities haha, seeing that you study Urban planning as well so do I plus Aviation seems to be our passion too

Getting back on topic, usually I focus just on Airbus and Boeing with the airline liveries which I like. Aircraft models for Airbus goes anywhere between A330 to A350 and for Boeing mostly I have 777 and 787 so far. I have two 1:200 models up for sale though, haven't got any interested buyers yet haha