daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2007, 06:33 AM   #61
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
[URL]
The developer, a joint venture led by Chicago-based Jones Lang LaSalle Inc., plans to build an 18-story tower atop the train station, a run-down and underused building at 210 S. Canal St.

"I promise that Union Station will have the same impact for the West Loop that Millennium Park has had for the East Loop," Hossein Youssefi, head of the team developing the project, told the commission.
Wow. Run down and underused. Can't they come up with a better solution to getting people into Union Station than this? Maybe adding retail to it? I am assuming they mean the Great Hall.

How will this have the same impact as Millenium Park? MP is a destination that people go to because it is one of a kind. There are offices, condos, and hotels everywhere in the city.

I still don't see how you can justify this as a blighted area and I don't see how you can justify that this is going to give a benefit to the area around it. All you guys who are excitied about this... how do you defend $60M in subsidies for a private deal? It's no wonder our school system is so bad... all the money isn't getting there - it is being diverted into the TIF accounts to help developers.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #62
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Well they are planning to include 80k sq ft. of retail space. This is very much a public building and if that money goes to improving the public lower spaces in the building I think its worth it. If eventually Union Station is going to be a state of the art multi-use transit hub for train travel putting 50 million towards that cause doesn't seem all that bad. Especially when considering the tens of millions it cost to do some modest rehab of the subway stations I think it is a relatively cheap.

If any buildings are going to get such funds I think a very heavily used public space such as Union is it in order to maximise its potential and capacity.
Old June 13th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #63
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

1915 and 1921 schemes for comparison

As envisioned in 1915

As envisioned in 1921

“The plans under contemplation call for a sixteen story office building over the station proper,” J. D’Esposito, chief engineer for the company, said. “The foundations are being laid to accommodate a skyscraper, though it may not be built at once.”
Chicago Daily Tribune, 18 May 1921
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:07 AM   #64
Frumie

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
All you guys who are excitied about this... how do you defend $60M in subsidies for a private deal? It's no wonder our school system is so bad... all the money isn't getting there - it is being diverted into the TIF accounts to help developers.
As a middle-school teacher of 46 years, many of those in the Chicago Public Schools, I've witnessed a remarkable turnaround of the schools under Mayor Daley, both physically and academically. The missing piece, which I believe is on the horizon, is the return of the middle class parents. Hopefully the yuppies and buppies moving remaining in or moving back to the city will turn to their local public schools. Money can never compensate for the lack of parental involvement or available resources in the home in support of their childrens' progress. TIFs, by putting the dollars up front, are creating the residential environment that can draw this talent to the problem.
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:27 AM   #65
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frumie View Post
TIFs, by putting the dollars up front, are creating the residential environment that can draw this talent to the problem.
I agree the school system has been much improved. Although I doubt that you will see any families living in Union Station. I think you will see young reverse commuters who have every intention of moving to the burbs closer to work after they start a family.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #66
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Hmmm... to be honest, I wish they would demolish Gateway Center 3 and rebuild the Beaux-Arts concourse. The office building is such a horrid building to stand above Chicago's busiest rail station. (I will admit, I do like the cross-bracing on the health club next door)
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #67
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Hmmm... to be honest, I wish they would demolish Gateway Center 3 and rebuild the Beaux-Arts concourse. The office building is such a horrid building to stand above Chicago's busiest rail station. (I will admit, I do like the cross-bracing on the health club next door)
the irony: Gateway was designed to spearhead office construction and development west of the river at a time when it didn't exist and a time the city had to sell itself to succeed. flash forward to today when Chicago is extensively developed and unquestionably a "hot" commodity and we have the luxury to realize what we lost when the concourse was dismantled.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #68
Frumie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
(I will admit, I do like the cross-bracing on the health club next door)
I agree. That structure was originally designed to be a trading floor; the cross-bracing elimated internal columns.
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #69
CHIsentinel
padisha emperor

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
As envisioned in 1915

As envisioned in 1921

“The plans under contemplation call for a sixteen story office building over the station proper,” J. D’Esposito, chief engineer for the company, said. “The foundations are being laid to accommodate a skyscraper, though it may not be built at once.”
Chicago Daily Tribune, 18 May 1921
Excellent find Mr. D - those images are wonderful and it's quite striking how the current proposal mimics the 1921 so closely. Thanks!
CHIsentinel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #70
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Chicago Bearcat and I were musing yesterday about the two blank (with widely spaced windows) areas shown going up the south wall in the 1921 rendering. Were those to be exit stairs? If so, why two on the south wall instead of one north and one south? The elevator lobbies are on the inside of the doughnut, easily visible in modern birdseye views:

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v...5918&encType=1
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:17 AM   #71
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

There are four renderings of the proposed expansion at
http://www.chicagounionstation.com/future_plans.html
Old June 16th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #72
PrintersRowChemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frumie View Post
As a middle-school teacher of 46 years, many of those in the Chicago Public Schools, I've witnessed a remarkable turnaround of the schools under Mayor Daley, both physically and academically. The missing piece, which I believe is on the horizon, is the return of the middle class parents. Hopefully the yuppies and buppies moving remaining in or moving back to the city will turn to their local public schools. Money can never compensate for the lack of parental involvement or available resources in the home in support of their childrens' progress. TIFs, by putting the dollars up front, are creating the residential environment that can draw this talent to the problem.
Well-put, Frumie.
PrintersRowChemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #73
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Chicago Bearcat and I were musing yesterday about the two blank (with widely spaced windows) areas shown going up the south wall in the 1921 rendering. Were those to be exit stairs? If so, why two on the south wall instead of one north and one south? The elevator lobbies are on the inside of the doughnut, easily visible in modern birdseye views:

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v...5918&encType=1
Well, the podium in the 1921 rendering does not quite match what exists today. It's only reasonable to assume that the design went through some revisions before construction, which probably shifted the elevator cores inward.

Also, this building, in 1921, would probably have been the only 'scraper downtown to occupy an entire block. Without any alley elevations, the building would have to bear its downspouts on the outside.

Last edited by ardecila; June 17th, 2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old July 4th, 2007, 08:02 AM   #74
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Just found this composite on the Okrent Associates website:

Old July 4th, 2007, 08:09 AM   #75
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

That's fairly massive.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #76
danthediscoman

^...and ugly.
danthediscoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #77
InTheLoopSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthediscoman View Post
^...and ugly.

Most certainly. All made possible by a massive diversion of our future tax dollars. This project's a loser....
InTheLoopSam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #78
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

By all accounts, this project is moving forward. I was sent out today to take photos of the south facade because that is where the main entry will be going. The photos were for AMA, specifically, who will move from their current River North location to the new tower.
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #79
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

South facade... interesting. Do you know if the taxi carriageway will be reopened? I HATE those jersey barriers in the middle of Canal.
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #80
Chicagotom

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond View Post
By all accounts, this project is moving forward. I was sent out today to take photos of the south facade because that is where the main entry will be going. The photos were for AMA, specifically, who will move from their current River North location to the new tower.

The AMA is moving? Wow nice piece of news Geoff. I hadnt heard that before.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote