daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 21st, 2017, 10:07 PM   #2541
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
OH MY GOD .. this has got so fat now ... the bulb is now stretched to almost all of it!! The design keep on changing constantly .. this might become a real building now
The spire seems much longer again, too.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2017, 08:44 AM   #2542
trustevil

Likes (Received): 386

There's still cables attached in that render. 210 floors might just be the total number from base to tip not necessarily the number of occupied floors.

Daniel2011 liked this post
trustevil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2017, 12:01 PM   #2543
FrogT
FrogT

Likes (Received): 782

The chemical reaction in the concrete can heat a lot, how do they compensate this here??

Ch.W liked this post
FrogT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2017, 12:06 PM   #2544
Qweoiu

Likes (Received): 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor del rey View Post
Maybe They just didn't paid much attention to it and the render ended up like this as it was not the main building to show in the video but let's just hope that!
Honestly speaking I agree with Gabriel, I don't think it's a mistake. In another render of the Address Harbour Point, the Dubai Creek Tower is also pictured with a bigger core, as shown below. The possibilities of a wrong render are lesser with 2 pictures showing the exact same design let's watch and see if this really becomes a full-fledged building!

DJaCoNdA, Scion, Nahemah, Munwon, Just_in_Key and 11 others liked this post

Last edited by Qweoiu; September 22nd, 2017 at 05:16 PM.
Qweoiu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2017, 12:22 PM   #2545
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3405

I canīt wait until it`s over ground. We will be flooded with u/c pictures

fayzoon, Qweoiu, Munwon, Lisimah, Daniel2011 liked this post
Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2017, 08:28 PM   #2546
oud-Rotterdammer
Marc from Rotterdam

Likes (Received): 615

Photographers will need strong tele lenses when it gets above 1000 m.

I remember that the pictures during Burj Khalifa construction were also very detailed. Even of the spire above 800 m.

Ch.W, Qweoiu, Daniel2011 liked this post
oud-Rotterdammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 10:23 AM   #2547
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

So, observation, if I may. I mean to ask this in the fairest (and polite) sense. So, we are aware that Wiki, CTBUH, and others define a skyscraper as (broadly speaking), a tall structure with habitable or occupied floors throughout. Since Dubai and Emaar are all about pushing the limits and testing what can be done, who is to say that they aren't also testing the definition of this concept?

If a room has a ceiling, floor, and walls high enough for people comfortably, then what? I would imagine in the modern definition that okay, such room must either have windows or access to breathable air through ventilation as well as lighting, heating, cooling, plumbing fixtures, electricity etc. But how far can we stretch the definition? A non-air tight empty concrete room with a light and a chair is certainly "occupiable" even if it is very Spartan and uncomfortable psychologically. Jail cells can be occupied. But jail cells usually also have electricity, a toilet, and the bare minimum space to sleep in.

What I am trying to broadly ask of the concept, is if Emaar could achieve the "Fit for occupancy" requirement of a skyscraper with floors throughout with something as minimal as 4 hotel rooms on a floor? One large meeting room per floor and nothing else? Must every floor be reachable by an elevator, or if not that, then is stairwell-access alone sufficient? Would there need to be a bathroom / water closet on every floor?

I am not attempting to degrade the beautiful grandness this tower will be, but at the same time it seems too thin to have occupancy like that of a traditional apartment building or office. If they were to make every floor "boutique" or as the old concept of Pentominium had, with one luxury apartment per floor (yet fully furnished), that could certainly fit the requirement. I don't think this tower will end up as 190 floors of one bedroom apartments and 20+ floors of observatory but I think you can see the silliness.

I am just curious as Gabriel and others said that if they could make enough uses for all of the floors for a true, usable floor count, or are they going to stretch the definition of what the record keepers judge as "habitable"? Do the floors simply need to be accessible by the public or a private individual? Do they need modern staples like water, bathrooms, electricity, etc.?

For a tower of 200+ floors, they must hold something after all.

Either way, excited to see this structure rise up! Why not just go for "tallest tower" when they can nip Jeddah Tower's record too and also claim the tallest building? If it can stand without the cables and they are there for decoration then isn't that enough?

Scion, Qweoiu, Gabriel900, Lisimah, goodybear and 3 others liked this post
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 03:11 PM   #2548
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2047

I just hope it will actually be 200+ floors
Old September 24th, 2017, 04:34 PM   #2549
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29243

Well Emaar, like what they did with BK, wants to break all records with this one, and it seems will break all labels as well One of a kind wonder rising from the sand

The-Real-Link, Daniel2011 liked this post
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 09:27 AM   #2550
ilkamoi

Likes (Received): 23

Hi everybody.
I've heard that the tower will be the main attractor during Dubai Exo 2020. Does it mean that it will be completed by then (which is less than 3 yr) or what?

Anyway, DCT is a great piece of arcitectural art and engineering. Probably, safe to say, one of the greatest. So awesome it is to live in such a marvelous time.

Last edited by ilkamoi; September 25th, 2017 at 09:34 AM.
ilkamoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 09:42 AM   #2551
fayzoon
Fayez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkamoi View Post
Hi everybody.
I've heard that the tower will be the main attractor during Dubai Exo 2020. Does it mean that it will be completed by then (which is less than 3 yr) or what?

Anyway, DCT is a great piece of arcitectural art and engineering. Probably, safe to say, one of the greatest. So awesome it is to live in such a marvelous time.
The greatest! if it ends up with the information in the thread topic being all right and true
Old September 25th, 2017, 09:53 AM   #2552
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkamoi View Post
Hi everybody.
EXPO is the main attraction .. this is a side show

Finished or not this will keep people drooling over Dubai .. the construction of this tower is a one of a kind show by itself

Emarati2009, Orion602, Daniel2011 liked this post
Old September 25th, 2017, 10:54 AM   #2553
Nemiq

Likes (Received): 81

I can't share drawings for various reasons, but I can tell that there is no space at all available for any "real" usage until refugee floors are reached (floor L14 / 711m). All "floors" below that are occupied by elevator shafts, stairs and the massive anchor points for the supporting cables.

There are 8 elevator shafts located in the core (2 north, 2 west etc.). There is also two VIP elevator shafts on the outer edges (I.e. west and east) while anchor points are (north and south). Stairs are located in the very center core.

Total amount of floors are still referred to as L55 (at level 1146m). There is a "new" elevator shaft added in latest revision from technical spire enter (L55 / 1007m) going up L55 / 1124m. Funny as all floors from spire entry to spire top are referred as Level 55, 1-27).

It seems highest reachable floor for any non-technical staff would be "L54 VVIP OBS" at level 1000.2m.

Some revolving balconies are in the layouts now too.

210 floors are probably correct if counting floor slabs, but inhabited/used floors are 55.

Gabriel900, ilkamoi, husiemam, Zor, Dubai_Boy and 18 others liked this post
Nemiq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 11:11 AM   #2554
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Madness

Daniel2011 liked this post
Old September 25th, 2017, 12:35 PM   #2555
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemiq View Post
I can't share drawings for various reasons, but I can tell that there is no space at all available for any "real" usage until refugee floors are reached (floor L14 / 711m). All "floors" below that are occupied by elevator shafts, stairs and the massive anchor points for the supporting cables.

There are 8 elevator shafts located in the core (2 north, 2 west etc.). There is also two VIP elevator shafts on the outer edges (I.e. west and east) while anchor points are (north and south). Stairs are located in the very center core.

Total amount of floors are still referred to as L55 (at level 1146m). There is a "new" elevator shaft added in latest revision from technical spire enter (L55 / 1007m) going up L55 / 1124m. Funny as all floors from spire entry to spire top are referred as Level 55, 1-27).

It seems highest reachable floor for any non-technical staff would be "L54 VVIP OBS" at level 1000.2m.

Some revolving balconies are in the layouts now too.

210 floors are probably correct if counting floor slabs, but inhabited/used floors are 55.
Thanks, that does clarify a lot of things! But wow, madness! Excited to see this be going up.

SiriusCane, Daniel2011 liked this post
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 01:29 PM   #2556
fayzoon
Fayez

I'm not that good in floors counting

Which one is the official floor count? 210 or 55?

Explanation of the count would be appreciated
Old September 25th, 2017, 01:46 PM   #2557
Lisimah

Likes (Received): 272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemiq View Post
There is also two VIP elevator shafts on the outer edges (I.e. west and east)
It will be panoramic elevators?
Lisimah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 01:46 PM   #2558
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6533

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayzoon View Post
I'm not that good in floors counting

Which one is the official floor count? 210 or 55?

Explanation of the count would be appreciated

Official? I think nothing is official until now.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 02:10 PM   #2559
fayzoon
Fayez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
Official? I think nothing is official until now.
Maybe I didn't explain my point very well

So, what's the true floor count (roof over roof)? 55 or 210?

Or is it totally unknown? there is a big gap between 55 and 210

Last edited by fayzoon; September 25th, 2017 at 02:16 PM.
fayzoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 02:30 PM   #2560
Gabriel900
Super Mod

when we get an official number we would know! 210 is the total number of floors within them there is 55 that are habitable .. but that is only preliminary information .. nothing is official .. when we know will let you know

fayzoon, Daniel2011 liked this post

Tags
dubai creek harbour, hypertall, iconic tower, megatall, the tower, the tower at dubai creek