daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 6th, 2017, 06:36 PM   #2581
Imagon Hahaha

Likes (Received): 135

I should've known this was from Mr.Calatrava, at least this time the client has no problems signing a hefty paycheck.
Imagon Hahaha no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2017, 11:40 PM   #2582
Whisky Peak
Visionary

Likes (Received): 1275

Retender expected for world's tallest man-made structure

Local developer Emaar Properties is expected to retender the main structural works for the world’s tallest man-made structure that it plans to build in Dubai.

The move to retender contract comes after Emaar sought fresh prices from contractors for the contract to build The Tower at Dubai Creek Harbour over the summer. It is understood that those offers were not within Emaar’s budget.

Emaar had earlier this year appointed two contracting groups to provide pre-construction services over a period of six months for The Tower earlier this year. At the time it was expected that the main construction contract would be awarded to one of the two groups. MEED reported in April that the two groups selected for pre-construction services are a joint venture of South Korea’s Samsung C+T and the local/Belgian Belhasa Six Construct, and a team of the local Dutco Group and Tishman – which is part of the US’ Aecom.

In March, Belhasa Six Construct was appointed to complete the raft foundations for The Tower.

France’s Soletanche Bachy is the piling contractor for the project. The Tower is designed by Spanish/Swiss architect and engineer Santiago Calatrava Valls. Calatrava is working with the local office of Aurecon as the consultant, supported by the UK’s RMJM. The project manager for The Tower is US-based Parsons.

Emaar had been planning last year to award a main construction contract in early 2017 so that The Tower could be completed in time for the start of the Dubai Expo on 20 October 2020. It is now understood that an award will be delayed, and The Tower will not be completed in time for the start of the Expo.

In October 2016, Dubai officially confirmed The Tower will be the world’s tallest man-made structure when it is completed. The final height has not been disclosed. To become the world’s tallest tower, it will have to be more than 1,008 metres in height, which is the expected height of the under-construction Jeddah Tower in Saudi Arabia.

Another recording breaking projects planned for Dubai Creek Harbour is the world’s largest shopping mall. Emaar has approached construction companies for the contract to build the retail centre, but has not yet issued tender documents.

Sources close to the project say the retail centre could cost AED15bn-AED18bn ($4bn-$5bn) to build, and requires construction firms to form teams with multiple partners.

https://lookup.ae/news/8809/retender...made-structure

► ► https://www.facebook.com/visiondubai ◄ ◄

BinSuroor, Mefu, Ch.W, Scion, Just_in_Key and 4 others liked this post
Whisky Peak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 01:25 AM   #2583
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

I wonder how long this'll delay construction for? I mean it is a unique structure so I'd imagine costs are significant; and even more that it has the cable elements. But hopefully we're not waiting 6 months to figure out who can build it.

ZZ-II, Daniel2011 liked this post
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 09:02 AM   #2584
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2104

This should be interesting. Finally a megatall that's not a vision.

Let's hope the world won't fall apart so this can happen without a hitch.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 10:03 AM   #2585
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

So the tower probably won‘t start to rise this year. Lets hope it won‘t be delayed too much.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 10:17 AM   #2586
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

What a suprise this wonīt be done for Expo. Itīs insanity to think a tower of more then 1000m height could be done in just three years time.
Old October 8th, 2017, 11:23 AM   #2587
SiriusCane
Open-mindedness

Likes (Received): 882

Thank you Whisky Peak for this article ! I hope the project won't be falling behind too much..
Here is a render I had never seen before.. (it looks like a shot from a video)

From SkyscraperPage

Emarati2009, Ch.W, Lisimah, Buffaboy, Cadaeib and 2 others liked this post
SiriusCane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 12:03 PM   #2588
oud-Rotterdammer
Marc from Rotterdam

Likes (Received): 609

See my postings #2527 and #2530 in this thread.
Contracting the preparations separately, before granting the main contract, can cause such problems...

SiriusCane, Lisimah, terpi liked this post
oud-Rotterdammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 02:21 PM   #2589
Scion

Likes (Received): 4282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Peak View Post
The move to retender contract comes after Emaar sought fresh prices from contractors for the contract to build The Tower at Dubai Creek Harbour over the summer. It is understood that those offers were not within Emaar’s budget.
The US$1billion figure that has been floating around the internet for the cost of building this tower does sound way too low. For a project of this size and magnitude, one would expect somewhere around $3billion - $4billion.

CrazyDave liked this post
Scion está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 02:26 PM   #2590
oud-Rotterdammer
Marc from Rotterdam

Maybe the estimated budget by Emaar is too low.
Or the bidders see quite some risks in this project with large financial impact (I think there are !). So they include that risk in their price.

When new bidders are invited, offered prices will not go into half, or to 75%.
Unless the tower size is scaled down, or quality/luxury is scaled down.

For a large project like this, a delay of 6 months is not unthinkable...

Scion, Lisimah, SiriusCane, Daniel2011 liked this post
Old October 8th, 2017, 06:56 PM   #2591
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29204

They are working fast on solving this issue and this won't be delayed much or scaled down or cut in half or canceled.
Old October 8th, 2017, 07:30 PM   #2592
oud-Rotterdammer
Marc from Rotterdam

Means a lot of overtime hours for management and office people...
Old October 8th, 2017, 07:53 PM   #2593
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29204

Overtime hours? this project is running 24/7 anyways .. Emaar is not playing house and they are the only ones capable of delivering such a huge project, this month is very interesting .. let see what will happen.
Old October 9th, 2017, 12:14 AM   #2594
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2044

Maybe they are studying the idea of increasing the height even more after the 1300 meters secret is discovered

Maybe the design will be changed and stretched even more

I knew that Emaar doesn't actually care about finishing before 2020 Dubai Expo, all they care about is surprising the world. And the Ruler of Dubai Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid is a no back looking man. That is for sure
Old October 9th, 2017, 09:36 AM   #2595
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

As i stated in an earlier post, the cable laying process alone will take considerable time, if current methods are used, upward construction cannot take place until each anchorage is completed, of which there are at least 20, and take place in almost half of the towers height, and if you include the down time period of cable laying to each anchorage, and then slip forming the tower to the next anchorage, which in my opinion, (including cure time for the concrete, and building the rebar cages at ground level) could be from 2 to 4 weeks, between the anchorages, i figure that the cable laying equipment could be temporarily suspended from a temporary arm on the side of the mast, and then lifted to the next anchorage when its ready, i can't imagine, with every time saving idea known, that the process of cabling the tower will take less than a year, but more like a year and a half, now i have no idea how this project proposes to conduct the cable laying, i have based this assessment on using current bridge building methods, but one can clearly see the amount of time this aspect of construction will take, i personally never thought that this tower could be completed by 2020, and still don't, but more like 2022,

What i would like to see is more details on this part of the construction of the tower, for instance drawings of the cable/mast connections,or any information on this aspect, i was inspired to this kind of work by the construction of the World Trade center in NYC, as a boy in high school, and remember when they topped out in 1974, and i wept when they came down in 2001, i've been in mechanical construction for over 35 years, (piping,all aspects, design/build)

Having a structure of this size and scope built in my lifetime, rekindles that inspiration i felt in 1974, and i hope it will do so for all the younger engineers that follow in these footsteps,
Old October 9th, 2017, 10:13 AM   #2596
oud-Rotterdammer
Marc from Rotterdam

Emaar will certainly not reveal any detail drawings.
So we have to be patient and see when it's done in real.

But it's gonna be spectacular, that's for sure.

BinSuroor, SiriusCane, Daniel2011 liked this post
Old October 9th, 2017, 10:23 AM   #2597
KuwaitLover

Likes (Received): 81

This was retendered last Thursday. Deadline is 29 November so could be awarded by end of year at a push.

Scion, SiriusCane, Daniel2011 liked this post
KuwaitLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 02:59 PM   #2598
belbek

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusCane View Post
Thank you Whisky Peak for this article ! I hope the project won't be falling behind too much..
Here is a render I had never seen before.. (it looks like a shot from a video)

From SkyscraperPage

very nice )
belbek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 10:17 AM   #2599
ilkamoi

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusCane View Post
I wonder if this scale is valid. Assuming that it is, it's possible to measure the height of The Tower in floors. The highest scyscraper on the right of Tower... I counted 50 floors (+- couple) and it is 115 pixels high. The Tower is about 590 pixels high, which is about 256 floors from foundation to tip. If it makes any sense...
ilkamoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 07:57 PM   #2600
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3404

I booked my flight to Dubai in January. One of the main reason is this Tower. I hope it will rise until then.

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai creek harbour, hypertall, iconic tower, megatall, the tower, the tower at dubai creek