daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 18th, 2017, 05:44 PM   #2781
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6555

It‘s amazing that the concrete structure will be just a little wider if not only as wide as the core of Kingdom Tower.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2017, 08:45 PM   #2782
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 330

Yeah had to do the math again just to be sure but it's right on target. 13 / 8 = 1.625. 828 x 1.625 is 1,345.5.

*if* that proves to be accurate and true, it's still mind-blowing they're going to build that high.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2017, 09:31 PM   #2783
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8360

judas priest! if you quite haven't realized how insane that size is, do yourself a favor and download the sketchup file on post #2778. You can add to it a Burj Khalifa model or Empire State Building or another tall building you have visited in person that is available on the 3d warehouse.

Anything will look tiny, even if you made models yourself and kept them realistic they will be dwarfed by it:
  • A year ago I made a 1073m tower inspired by it - looks puny
  • The place where the supporting ropes are ending is higher than the spire of Burj Khalifa and that is where all the floors are. When in Dubai, you will quickly realize that you can't really get super close to Burj Khalifa, there are a lot of spots around the fountains and there are some smaller fountains where the entrance for the cars is. From there if you look up Burj Khalifa just keeps getting taller until your neck is stiff. From the layout it seems you can get closer to DCT and it is much taller.
  • When importing the WTC in New York, you might first wonder if the scale is messed up, but the circular DCT layout is bigger than the whole WTC complex.
  • After these experiences I wanted to see how 432 Park Avenue compares to it. It does not quite fit into the Tower To the contrary the Tower nearly fits into the skinny 432 PA. Nevertheless for basically an elevator shaft, it is quite amazing to be that close in diameter to a skinny supertall.
  • Chaotianmen fares similar to the WTC complex as all its skyscrapers fit into the circle again.
  • Abraj Al Bait seems to fair a bit better as it is an a lot thicker overall complex. Still, the DCT tower is more than twice as tall.
  • So it was time to step it up... Broad Sky City? - puny! Kingdom Tower -
    puny!
  • So lastly I threw Nakheel Tower into the mix. This is the only building that made DCT seem not ridiculous in context and at least makes it for me clear that this Tower is the most impressive structure to ever start construction after Nakheel Tower. And it is already much father ahead in construction!

edit: just realized we have this information since August. It was close before an exam and my birthday and I totally missed this reading thru all the posts at that time now

Gabriel900, NK2, ilkamoi, husiemam, salmankhan and 4 others liked this post

Last edited by KillerZavatar; December 18th, 2017 at 09:38 PM.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2017, 09:44 PM   #2784
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29993

I love this ... if fact I live in Dubai and Burj Khalifa never ceases to amaze me and I just can't get used to how tall it is, now picture yourself looking up to this ... that is 200 meters away from being twice the size of BK!! Insanity

Now let's take it to another level ... the tower is so high I wonder what action will the top (1000m+) have especially in winter times, since the UAE mountains witness snowfall when it gets too cold on mountains above 1000m, now are we gonna experience snowfall in the middle of Dubai!!

I never thought I will live in a time where such thing will be U/C
Old December 18th, 2017, 09:52 PM   #2785
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Well Nakheel Tower was starting and it seemed possible to get such crazy towers a few years back.

I always thought the future of these megatall projects would be a mixture between skyscrapers and tower, but I got it the wrong way around, I thought the bottom half would be fully usable, then a long stretch of nothing with observation on top. This Tower however is the opposite, a long stretch of tower and then a skyscraper on top!
Old December 19th, 2017, 02:21 AM   #2786
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
Felt like forever since someone did one of these update diagrams for Dubai. I'll use this opportunity to keep track of the Creek Tower's construction timeline.

update by Kwok Bobby, on Flickr
Good. Keep the nice work going

Cadaeib, XGADGET, Daniel2011 liked this post
fayzoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2017, 04:57 AM   #2787
ilkamoi

Likes (Received): 24

I imagine some crazy base-jumper. He jumps of the top, flies between the ropes and only then opens parachute.
ilkamoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2017, 11:48 AM   #2788
Tom9504

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkamoi View Post
I imagine some crazy base-jumper. He jumps of the top, flies between the ropes and only then opens parachute.
No worries, Skydive Dubai will to this for sure
Old December 19th, 2017, 01:31 PM   #2789
Nahemah
scaredy-cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9504 View Post
Imagine yourself flying (falling) straight into giant knife or guillotine
bacause thats the case here
That would be simply too stupid

jumping near the supporting cables of this structure shouldnt be allowed at all

Daniel2011 liked this post
Nahemah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2017, 01:50 PM   #2790
jurog

Likes (Received): 7682

Awesome!!!

Mefu, ilkamoi, ZZ-II, jaceq, TRINACRIA FELIX and 22 others liked this post
jurog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2017, 02:10 PM   #2791
oud-Rotterdammer
Marc from Rotterdam

Likes (Received): 672

Great video!

I didn't realize that the piling for the cable arrays was also already done.
oud-Rotterdammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2017, 02:36 PM   #2792
ilkamoi

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9504 View Post
I'm not worried. I'm looking forward to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahemah View Post
That would be simply too stupid
People always do stupid things. Which is awesome!
ilkamoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2017, 07:34 AM   #2793
Neutral!
ESTELI REPUBLIC

Location: ESTELI-Delft-Milan-Roma-NWestfalen-NY-CHI-BCN-MAD-BIO-MIAMI-SEA-AMS-SF-LA-Moscu-München-LONDON-PARIS
Likes (Received): 1681

mmm

Neutral! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2017, 11:44 PM   #2794
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 693

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
I love this ... if fact I live in Dubai and Burj Khalifa never ceases to amaze me and I just can't get used to how tall it is, now picture yourself looking up to this ... that is 200 meters away from being twice the size of BK!! Insanity

Now let's take it to another level ... the tower is so high I wonder what action will the top (1000m+) have especially in winter times, since the UAE mountains witness snowfall when it gets too cold on mountains above 1000m, now are we gonna experience snowfall in the middle of Dubai!!

I never thought I will live in a time where such thing will be U/C
It will need 311 meters to be twice as tall as BK. That is insane! This tower will remain the tallest structure for many years to come when completed.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2017, 11:55 PM   #2795
robertsieg

Likes (Received): 442

Will Keenster 6000 or someone be updating the official drawing on skyscraperpage.com then? The current one is so old and frankly outdated.

ilkamoi, Daniel2011 liked this post
robertsieg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2017, 12:13 AM   #2796
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

I, at least, updated the height, so when uploading, it will accept drawings with a height of 1345.5m now.
Old December 21st, 2017, 12:17 AM   #2797
Redzio
To ja!

Likes (Received): 6924

Honestly i'm still not sure if the tower will hit +1300 metres mark. By looking on even the latest renders and compare the circle which diameter is excatly 500 metres with the tower the actual height is between 1000-1200m.
Redzio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2017, 12:45 AM   #2798
Pro90RushB

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkamoi View Post
Your post triggered my anxiety
Pro90RushB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2017, 07:28 AM   #2799
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29993

This district could turn into something extraordinary with many supertalls and megatalls .. and I am saying that giving that based on how Downtown Dubai came to life.

Did you know, Dubai Municipality didn't give the permission for consultants and developers to build towers higher than 600m in Downtown Dubai, Business Bay and SZR, after they expressed interest in doing so? In other words, many megatalls were seriously proposed to be built but they were turned down by the municipality, and the reason is not to have any other building taking the glory or sharing the glory with Burj Khalifa.

Now we go back to Dubai Creek Harbour, This tower is now confirmed to be 1300m+, which is crazy because now, the limitation of height for surrounding buildings will go up as well ... you can build a 800m tower next to this one and it won't even have an impact on it.

The best is yet to come!
Old December 21st, 2017, 12:09 PM   #2800
Scion

Likes (Received): 4629

Quote:
Originally Posted by oud-Rotterdammer View Post
Great video!
I didn't realize that the piling for the cable arrays was also already done.
From this video, it looks like the piles for the cable anchors are just as deep as the core's

Tags
dubai creek harbour, hypertall, iconic tower, megatall, the tower, the tower at dubai creek