daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2017, 08:42 PM   #2821
medhat9

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
I am not optimistic but the tower will have some sort of floors going all over it so it will be wider then just the core and that is a FACT
That is definitely true 👍, and matching with fact that the diameter of this tower is 500M & those floors going to be.
medhat9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2017, 12:26 AM   #2822
Ryer

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
I am not optimistic but the tower will have some sort of floors going all over it so it will be wider then just the core and that is a FACT
I was just more commenting that you seemed to think that it would be significantly wider than that box currently sitting there. I don't disagree, there will be more than a core, but I think that box is about as wide as the towers getting until the bulb.

Nevertheless, this is an impressive project, and I am excited to see it actually become a reality.
Ryer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 02:12 AM   #2823
Mohammad-Almarri

Likes (Received): 1029

Ryer post shows an octagonal shape which is the tower stim shape so I don't believe that the tower will be as wide as the whole circle, I predict it will have a similar foundation to Lakhta centre

Check video for extra understanding. https://youtu.be/1IFGWwebc00
Old December 24th, 2017, 04:37 AM   #2824
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2744

Gabriel is right and you know it. Yeah the tower looks really slim on renders. That's like, uh, super obviously, uh, because it's frickin' 1300m or more tall.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 05:12 AM   #2825
Ryer

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
Gabriel is right and you know it. Yeah the tower looks really slim on renders. That's like, uh, super obviously, uh, because it's frickin' 1300m or more tall.
A few pages back somebody posted a link to a model of the tower made in sketchup. I am not saying that it was entirely accurate, but the proportions seemed to have looked somewhat like the renders and models. The height of that model was indeed 1300m, and the stems width was 32 meters. Again,it is probably not exact, but its close enough to be a good indication of the scale of the tower (as it currently stands). Using the ruler tool in google earth, which isnt entirely accurate either, but again, its probably close enough, the box appears to be about 30-35 meters wide, which isn't too off from the model, which doesnt apepear to be too off from the renders. I have determined that it is probably reasonable to assume that the tower wont be getting too much fatter than that box.

Alas, things could change, but that is how it stands with the resources I have. Sorry to have sparked an argument.
Ryer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 10:57 AM   #2826
salmankhan

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryer View Post
I am going to put my money on the width of the tower being about as wide as that box, considering you can already see its shape forming on the top of it.

Now, the shape seems a bit awkward, but I cant imagine why else that shape would be appearing, unless that is the core, but I estimate the tower's stem to be about 100' wide. Now, there were those few renders floating around of the tower with a fat stem... but other than those two renders (I think there were two) there is nothing indicating those are the design (especially with there having been more renders with a skinny stemmed tower coming out since then)

Frankly, I just feel Gabriel is being a bit optimistic and will be disappointed.
According to this image it looks like the width of the tower is much lesser then the foundation.

Punjabi Top Songs of the Week

Scion, DJaCoNdA, Nahemah, SiriusCane, Orion602 and 3 others liked this post
salmankhan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 11:31 AM   #2827
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 30042

that is correct ... the debate is about how much less ... they won't just build a core and paint it white ... they need to have space for cladding and refuge floors and whatnot ... this space can be 1 meter, 2 meters, 3 meters, 4 meters .. aside from the hexagonal/circular shape nothing is really confirmed at this point

Last edited by Gabriel900; December 24th, 2017 at 11:38 AM.
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 11:37 AM   #2828
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1267

I wonder how much of the research used to build this tower and BK will be used in skyscraper construction in the future and how much that will change the way we build and if this might make skyscrapers cheaper and more efficient as they currently are.

Gabriel900, goodybear, SiriusCane liked this post
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 11:56 AM   #2829
goodybear

Likes (Received): 773

Probably quite a lot of research can be used for the future. For example, the new concrete pumps that had to be invented specifically for the Burj Khalifa, thinner and stronger elevator cables, new structural systems etc. That is actually a very valid point, most, if not every World's Tallest Building brought new innovations that could be used later to make new skyscrapers taller and/or more efficient and cheap to built. This tower will probably need new types of materials for the cables to make them that long and lightweight, as well as better elevator cables. I really can't wait to see this one rise taller and taller!

I mean, these are some innovations previous record holders brought along:

WTC Twin Towers (1973): Skylobbies and Tube in Tube design
Sears Tower (1974): Bundled Tube Structural System
Petronas Towers: (1998): Skybridge
Taipei 101 (2004): New type of mass damper
Burj Khalifa (2010): Buttressed Core, new concrete pumps, set backs to prevent vortex shedding
Jeddah Tower: New materials for elevator cables
The Tower at Dubai Creek Harbor: Probably new materials for cables and way quicker construction methods. Possibly a new way of attaching cables to a structure so high above ground.
~3-5m, 1fl

Mefu, SiriusCane, Nahemah, Orion602, ilkamoi and 4 others liked this post

Last edited by goodybear; December 24th, 2017 at 01:12 PM.
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 12:06 PM   #2830
Scion

Likes (Received): 4632

Adding to Burj Khalifa, the gradual "step backs" of the Y shaped floor plan simulates helical fins on the exterior of the tower, preventing vortex shedding from the wind. This is why the BK does not need/have a tuned mass damper, despite being the world's tallest!

goodybear, SiriusCane, Daniel2011 liked this post
Scion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 11:29 PM   #2831
Gabriel900
Super Mod

I said this pages back but I will repeat it ... droneriot is right .. this tower appear thin just because it is SO damn tall .. but in reality this tower is going to be as wide as 23 Marina, in fact it will be 4 times taller than it!! Which if you ever visited Dubai and the tallest block, you would get a sense of how grand and impressive it is although it is only a supertall

In case you don't know what I am talking about .. here's some pics:

Just imagine that 4 times the height for this tower ... and of course with a wider bulb

Oh and Merry Christmas
Old December 25th, 2017, 06:15 AM   #2832
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 330

Yeah, Gabe, can personally say yeah it's nuts. Been at the base of Princess Tower and while not quite the same building, it's close enough (tall and thin). Can't really easily imagine something 4x as high haha.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 07:11 AM   #2833
Aloy Concept

Likes (Received): 1443

Great!
Aloy Concept no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 09:45 AM   #2834
Scion

Likes (Received): 4632

A quick and bad photoshop job to demonstrate what Gabriel meant

Old December 25th, 2017, 10:31 PM   #2835
Abel_Gdl

Likes (Received): 22

What kind of material is going to be used for the net?
It's my new favorite icon from Dubai.
Abel_Gdl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 12:50 AM   #2836
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
The next big question is how wide the tower will be ... is it going to be as thin as the core we see sprouting out of the ground or it will be wider!! My guess it will definitely be wider since it will have floors (although they might only be refuge or mechanical all over the stem).

Great times ahead
Why guess? Surly there are some actual offical plans for this tower?

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 01:28 AM   #2837
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6556

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
Why guess? Surly there are some actual offical plans for this tower?
Of course there are plans. But none has been posted yet here.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 02:29 AM   #2838
Alvarody

Likes (Received): 701

Old December 26th, 2017, 10:12 AM   #2839
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Still insisting on this finishing in 2020!! Although almost impossible but with Emaar passion we might witness a construction speed not witnessed before! We so need a live cam on that site

https://m.khaleejtimes.com/nation/du...-is-shaping-up
Old December 26th, 2017, 02:39 PM   #2840
KhadimApka

Likes (Received): 0

As I have seen the site work of "Dubai Creek Harbor". It might be ready till 2020 Expo.
KhadimApka no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai creek harbour, hypertall, iconic tower, megatall, the tower, the tower at dubai creek