daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2018, 08:12 AM   #2881
robertsieg

Likes (Received): 443

Yep, the new diagram on skyscraperpage looks great!

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2018, 08:33 AM   #2882
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 30121

Oh god it makes the rest of the towers look like midgets
Old January 4th, 2018, 09:28 AM   #2883
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8364

I just love how ridiculous this is compared even to Megatalls that already stretch your belief.

On SSP megatalls just about fit on my laptop screen. But this Tower doesn't even fit on it when I display everything at 50% lol.

Gabriel900, Lisimah liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 12:16 PM   #2884
Julito-dubai
Yes We Can !

Location: Nanjing (CN), Beijing (CN), Braunschweig (GER), Dubai (UAE)
Likes (Received): 258

Its real floors start where Burj Khalifa's are finishing...

- Your man for special investigative tasks in the Yangtse River Delta ! -

Three things I am following on the Internet:

- Skyscraper Construction in China
- Developing Story of Andrea Rossi and the Ecat. A new technology to produce heat and electricity through a new nuclear process called LENR
- Discovery of Extrasolar Planets

JohannAlexander liked this post
Julito-dubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 12:19 PM   #2885
Gabriel900
Super Mod

there is no real floors in any of the towers above when this one's floors start ..
Old January 4th, 2018, 12:30 PM   #2886
Victhor
Que paza!!!

Likes (Received): 1741

Where does the 1350m figure come from? It is already taller than the Bionic Tower visions released in 1998!

Pohtija, speedy1979, Daniel2011 liked this post
Victhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 12:33 PM   #2887
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Developer .. Dubai is a place where visions become reality

NK2, Emarati2009, Daniel2011 liked this post
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 01:11 PM   #2888
Jillestalin

Likes (Received): 346

Not always

Kyll.Ing., Daniel2011 liked this post
Jillestalin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 01:46 PM   #2889
leogodoy

Likes (Received): 51

About the diagram... Isn't Suzhou Zhongnan Center on hold AND a tad shorter, at 729m? The diagram puts it higher than BK.

Daniel2011 liked this post
leogodoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 02:12 PM   #2890
robertsieg

Likes (Received): 443

Quote:
Originally Posted by leogodoy View Post
About the diagram... Isn't Suzhou Zhongnan Center on hold AND a tad shorter, at 729m? The diagram puts it higher than BK.
Well that particular design might have been 830m at one point and then downsized. A lot of diagrams on SSP haven't had a chance to be updated. ... but I think it this one may have fell through? There have been more recent designs proposed more recently with unknown heights. Perhaps it should be reclassified as a stale proposal on SSP.

Daniel2011 liked this post
robertsieg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 12:22 AM   #2891
Meehoowk666

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julito-dubai View Post
Its real floors start where Burj Khalifa's are finishing...
as Gabriel9000 said, there are no USABLE Floors about 200m apart between the uppermost of the Burj and where probably those of the Creek Tower start... probably around where the Burj's tip is situated (828m tip, 829.8m with spire girder and signal antennae)

The Burj's usable ones go up to 154th at 584.5m above the lower side of its podium (not the same above ground height on the other two sides!); the 9 floors above are for maintenance only (160 split into 3 Mezzanines aka 163d) and the rest is 46 spire access levels; the Wiki Article is pretty helpful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burj_Khalifa

it now includes a moving dimetric projection of the Burj with floors color coded by usage (ceiling heights not representative as they change throughout the building!)

SORRY FOR BIG OFFTOPIC SIDENOTE: (don't read if you're not "Julito-dubai" or if you're not interested)

As to your "Developing Story of Andrea Rossi and the Ecat. A new technology to produce heat and electricity through a new nuclear process called LENR"

Read me out please. First: I'm by no means a nay-sayer and sometimes like a Hype if it seems feasible, like in the case of skyscrapers, but a critical eye and mind are crucial if somebody wants to avoid huge failure and misspent funds; concepts have to be tried and tested, sometimes for decades like in this case was done.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but cold fusion will highly likely never have any positive outcome for following reasons:

1. Researchers who continue don't claim fusion is occuring, and they complain of a chronic lack of funding and no possibilities of getting their work published in the highest impact journals. The lack of funding also limits the researchers for needed technologies to prove or disprove their concepts, as seen how costly and sophisticated getting necessary accuracy or energy can be (for example LHC, LIGO, ITER etc.)

2. University researchers are often unwilling to investigate cold fusion because they would be ridiculed by their colleagues. In 1989 there has been the biggest scientific interest in this direction, but since it has been dropped and is widely stigmatized. Maybe that's unfair but it is the case.

3. Lack of a shared set of unifying concepts and techniques has prevented the creation of a dense network of collaboration in the field; researchers perform efforts in their own and in disparate directions, making the transition to "normal" science more difficult;

Conclusion: as David Goodstein from Caltech (who advocated for attention to the concept) said in 1994: "Between cold fusion and respectable science there is virtually no communication at all. Cold fusion papers are almost never published in refereed scientific journals, with the result that those works don't receive the normal critical scrutiny that science requires. On the other hand, because the Cold-Fusioners see themselves as a community under siege, there is little internal criticism. Experiments and theories tend to be accepted at face value, for fear of providing even more fuel for external critics, if anyone outside the group was bothering to listen. In these circumstances, crackpots flourish, making matters worse for those who believe that there is serious science going on here"

Why it is unlikely that Rossi will make a breakthrough (not impossible):

Rossi is a known deceiver and was a criminal, having dumped toxic waste into the environment, disguised as a waste processing company
-> Rossi was jailed and later convicted for tax fraud and environmental crime (see court case in 1990s) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea..._(entrepreneur)

Don't get me wrong, i really wish this would work, but don't expect anything, since it sounds not even too good to be true.

For comparison to one of your other statements: the probability that even an unmanned device visits an extrasolar planet in this century (one-way takes at least maybe 40 years even to proxima centauri with envisioned technology if we had everything planned and constructed right now) is much higher, and that are many "ifs" (discovery today is primarily done by Telescopes, satellites and unmanned devices, delivering humans to such a planet will sadly most likely not be witnessed by us, but we are still lucky to live in such times)

Last edited by Meehoowk666; January 5th, 2018 at 12:34 AM.
Meehoowk666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 03:21 AM   #2892
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 193

I looks like they don't want anything close to the Dubai Creek Tower to be over 70 stories.
CrazyDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 03:52 AM   #2893
Julito-dubai
Yes We Can !

Location: Nanjing (CN), Beijing (CN), Braunschweig (GER), Dubai (UAE)
Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meehoowk666 View Post
as Gabriel9000 said, there are no USABLE Floors about 200m apart between the uppermost of the Burj and where probably those of the Creek Tower start... probably around where the Burj's tip is situated (828m tip, 829.8m with spire girder and signal antennae)

The Burj's usable ones go up to 154th at 584.5m above the lower side of its podium (not the same above ground height on the other two sides!); the 9 floors above are for maintenance only (160 split into 3 Mezzanines aka 163d) and the rest is 46 spire access levels; the Wiki Article is pretty helpful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burj_Khalifa

it now includes a moving dimetric projection of the Burj with floors color coded by usage (ceiling heights not representative as they change throughout the building!)

SORRY FOR BIG OFFTOPIC SIDENOTE: (don't read if you're not "Julito-dubai" or if you're not interested)

As to your "Developing Story of Andrea Rossi and the Ecat. A new technology to produce heat and electricity through a new nuclear process called LENR"

Read me out please. First: I'm by no means a nay-sayer and sometimes like a Hype if it seems feasible, like in the case of skyscrapers, but a critical eye and mind are crucial if somebody wants to avoid huge failure and misspent funds; concepts have to be tried and tested, sometimes for decades like in this case was done.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but cold fusion will highly likely never have any positive outcome for following reasons:

1. Researchers who continue don't claim fusion is occuring, and they complain of a chronic lack of funding and no possibilities of getting their work published in the highest impact journals. The lack of funding also limits the researchers for needed technologies to prove or disprove their concepts, as seen how costly and sophisticated getting necessary accuracy or energy can be (for example LHC, LIGO, ITER etc.)

2. University researchers are often unwilling to investigate cold fusion because they would be ridiculed by their colleagues. In 1989 there has been the biggest scientific interest in this direction, but since it has been dropped and is widely stigmatized. Maybe that's unfair but it is the case.

3. Lack of a shared set of unifying concepts and techniques has prevented the creation of a dense network of collaboration in the field; researchers perform efforts in their own and in disparate directions, making the transition to "normal" science more difficult;

Conclusion: as David Goodstein from Caltech (who advocated for attention to the concept) said in 1994: "Between cold fusion and respectable science there is virtually no communication at all. Cold fusion papers are almost never published in refereed scientific journals, with the result that those works don't receive the normal critical scrutiny that science requires. On the other hand, because the Cold-Fusioners see themselves as a community under siege, there is little internal criticism. Experiments and theories tend to be accepted at face value, for fear of providing even more fuel for external critics, if anyone outside the group was bothering to listen. In these circumstances, crackpots flourish, making matters worse for those who believe that there is serious science going on here"

Why it is unlikely that Rossi will make a breakthrough (not impossible):

Rossi is a known deceiver and was a criminal, having dumped toxic waste into the environment, disguised as a waste processing company
-> Rossi was jailed and later convicted for tax fraud and environmental crime (see court case in 1990s) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea..._(entrepreneur)

Don't get me wrong, i really wish this would work, but don't expect anything, since it sounds not even too good to be true.

For comparison to one of your other statements: the probability that even an unmanned device visits an extrasolar planet in this century (one-way takes at least maybe 40 years even to proxima centauri with envisioned technology if we had everything planned and constructed right now) is much higher, and that are many "ifs" (discovery today is primarily done by Telescopes, satellites and unmanned devices, delivering humans to such a planet will sadly most likely not be witnessed by us, but we are still lucky to live in such times)
Well you are entitled to your own opinon about this stuff... I have mine.

This is about the Dubai Creek Tower, its construction and people commenting about it.

- Your man for special investigative tasks in the Yangtse River Delta ! -

Three things I am following on the Internet:

- Skyscraper Construction in China
- Developing Story of Andrea Rossi and the Ecat. A new technology to produce heat and electricity through a new nuclear process called LENR
- Discovery of Extrasolar Planets
Julito-dubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 11:34 AM   #2894
goodybear

Likes (Received): 773

What?! In those diagrams (which do appear to look correct), the bulb alone is 450 meters tall. So it would already be the second tallest building in NYC and Dubai and the tallest in Chicago. The scale of this project is almost impossible for me to comprehend. So this project is basically a 450 meter skyscraper on top of a 800 meter tall structure plus a spire. AMAZING
~3-5m, 1fl
goodybear está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 01:44 PM   #2895
T1000
Ferrari S.p.A.

Likes (Received): 561

Exactly. It's truly incredible what they are making. It's almost a shame that most of the cool and interesting technologies they are bound to develop will remain hidden and few people will truly know how much went into it and what a huge challenge it is. For the average Joe it's still going to be just a freakishly tall concrete tower tied with cables, when in fact it's so much more. As others said previously, it will give a lot of new tech and methods for all types of future construction projects.

Mefu liked this post
T1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 03:06 PM   #2896
Scion

Likes (Received): 4637

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodybear View Post
What?! In those diagrams (which do appear to look correct), the bulb alone is 450 meters tall. So it would already be the second tallest building in NYC and Dubai and the tallest in Chicago. The scale of this project is almost impossible for me to comprehend. So this project is basically a 450 meter skyscraper on top of a 800 meter tall structure plus a spire. AMAZING
That's right. A forumer here on SSC said that his company supplies elevators to this tower; and according to his detailed numbers, the bulb section is 435m. So even if the tower is not >50% habitable, it is still an absolutely stunning behemoth. Who knows, CTBUH might actually redefine their "skyscraper" criteria, or add a new catagory to better fit this groundbreaking thing.
Old January 5th, 2018, 03:14 PM   #2897
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8364

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
I looks like they don't want anything close to the Dubai Creek Tower to be over 70 stories.
we will see about that. Dubai often builds taller than expected.

Lisimah, Gabriel900, Daniel2011 liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 04:58 PM   #2898
oud-Rotterdammer
Marc from Rotterdam

Likes (Received): 673

This Tower looks like magic, even for an engineer.

But it's really happening before our own eyes. In our moment in history... !
Old January 5th, 2018, 05:16 PM   #2899
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
I guarantee it, this is 100% incorrect
Old January 5th, 2018, 06:52 PM   #2900
Sani Ramic
Photography, Construction

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
I guarantee it, this is 100% incorrect
Like I said, if they succeed with their technologies for this tower, this could probably be the next tallest block on earth 😊

Sani Ramic
Home is where your story begins...
Traveler / Photographer / Construction Foreman / Art Director / PR Manger

Gabriel900, Daniel2011 liked this post
Sani Ramic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai creek harbour, hypertall, iconic tower, megatall, the tower, the tower at dubai creek